ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
porcupine #5117135
07/10/15 07:14 AM
07/10/15 07:14 AM
maryland
A
acctrapper Offline OP
trapper
acctrapper  Offline OP
trapper
A

maryland
I need advice for a nuisance job trapping a porcupine eating a lady's deck and house. Porcupine are pretty new to the area and no one around seems to know how to trap them. Did research on this site and other places but could not find much info. Seems like apples and salt are popular for trapping them but I have not had any luck. Limited to cage traps because neighbors are close. Any info on how to trap them (baits/lures) would be great.

Nate
Re: porcupine [Re: acctrapper] #5117374
07/10/15 10:55 AM
07/10/15 10:55 AM
NM
H
HD_Wildlife Offline
trapper
HD_Wildlife  Offline
trapper
H

NM
Nate,

If you aren't averse to night work.

Take a cheap trail camera and give it a day or two to see what time it shows up.

Come with a good net and you'll leave with the porcupine if you are quick enough.

Trapping them can be tedious, in another lifetime when I had to collect some for a research
project the best method for us ended up being driving through the target area and scooping them up with a smelt net.

You can try the salty rags and so forth and I've caught them in cages on all kinds of raccoon baits in MI but honestly
If you can't exclude them from climbing and gnawing I'd find out when they show up and go grab them.

Just my .02

I exclude when it is tree damage in residential lawns but a house and deck, possibly too much area to block them effectively.

We use sheet metal wrapped and color painted to match tree bark when we exclude for trees if only eating deck supports or climbing them could do same.

Justin

Re: porcupine [Re: acctrapper] #5117457
07/10/15 12:46 PM
07/10/15 12:46 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
When we were hunting in Canada one of the dogs decided to "go grab" a porky. The vet actually pushed the quills completely through

his nose to get them out. So when you "go grab" your porky I would recommend steel gauntlets.

Re: porcupine [Re: acctrapper] #5117474
07/10/15 01:06 PM
07/10/15 01:06 PM
Maine
huntinjunkie Offline
trapper
huntinjunkie  Offline
trapper

Maine
Net is a great idea. I've had luck when they were spending the day close to the food source getting them walking in the last 10min of light. Knawing on a house though? They've got to be eating the green stuff close by.

Re: porcupine [Re: acctrapper] #5117499
07/10/15 01:36 PM
07/10/15 01:36 PM
NM
H
HD_Wildlife Offline
trapper
HD_Wildlife  Offline
trapper
H

NM
Wink, miserable thing quills in a dog. Have pulled them for neighbors and have had many urban cases here that went to vets.

I use a carrier porta kennel or large tote easy to dump them into that from the metal smelt net for xfer or euthanasia off site.

Re: porcupine [Re: acctrapper] #5117587
07/10/15 02:37 PM
07/10/15 02:37 PM
St. Louis Co, Mo
B
BigBob Offline
trapper
BigBob  Offline
trapper
B

St. Louis Co, Mo
FWIW: Vinegar will soften and dissolve the quills, LOL

Every kid needs a Dog and a Curmudgeon.

Remember Bowe Bergdahl, the traitor.

Beware! Jill Pudlewski, Ron Oates and Keven Begesse are liars and thiefs!
Re: porcupine [Re: acctrapper] #5117744
07/10/15 04:04 PM
07/10/15 04:04 PM
maryland
A
acctrapper Offline OP
trapper
acctrapper  Offline OP
trapper
A

maryland
Thanks for the info so far. HD Wildlife, I too thought of the trail cam idea and waiting on him. Excluding was a thought but not really an option, deck is 8 ft off ground and it chewed on every step, railing on the deck, deck posts at the ground, and all 4 corners of house. I am heading back to the house this evening to rebait and set more traps. I scouted the woods behind the house for other sign but could not find any. I will look closer tonight. Any suggestions on bait/scent other than salt and apples? The chipmunks are bad there, they steal the apples right away and daily rain showers make it tough to keep salt there.

Nate
Re: porcupine [Re: acctrapper] #5117808
07/10/15 05:00 PM
07/10/15 05:00 PM
massachusetts
S
swampdonkey Offline
trapper
swampdonkey  Offline
trapper
S

massachusetts
If available take a handful of hemlock branches and secure to the back inside the cage..this is a visual..On a paper plate add a heaping mound of salt ..cut apples and carrots added to pile on plate...hang the plate halfway off the back of pan ..cube apples pieces coated with salt leading into cage...place at visted Location Location Location..presto ..porky in the A.M.

Last edited by swampdonkey; 07/10/15 05:01 PM.

Joe Robidoux
Re: porcupine [Re: acctrapper] #5144347
08/01/15 07:36 PM
08/01/15 07:36 PM
maryland
A
acctrapper Offline OP
trapper
acctrapper  Offline OP
trapper
A

maryland
Got a porcupine this morning. I blind set with a 1 3/4 set under the steps it was chewing got it. I did not want to use coilsprings because of houses nearby, but he was avoiding the cage traps with apples and salt and that was the last option. However, my trail cam revealed there was 2 porcupines so my work continues. The pics showed 2 different size porcs, i figured it was a mother and young. I caught the adult female so hopefully the little one will be back tonight.

Nate
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread