ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Neighbors conflict #5039767
05/07/15 12:17 PM
05/07/15 12:17 PM
Southwest Michigan
M
Michigan Trappin Offline OP
trapper
Michigan Trappin  Offline OP
trapper
M

Southwest Michigan
I'm sure several of you have had this happen. How do you solve?

Do the beaver work for the county, trapping on two properties, one on each side of the road. Now the one property owner has me doing raccoons for him, and he told the other guy. Who loves the raccoons and has several he hand feeds.

Today the guy who feeds them told me that the other guy never had a problem with the raccoons before so has no idea why he is having me trap them

To calm things down, I told him I would bring each coon to him as he said he can recognize the ones he hand feeds. Any ideas I have gained both guys trust and even a friendship has developed and both have given me permission to fur trap this fall.

Every day is a gift from GOD, don't waste it!!

If they have plenty of food, give them something interesting to smell
Re: Neighbors conflict [Re: Michigan Trappin] #5039802
05/07/15 12:59 PM
05/07/15 12:59 PM
NH
S
sgs Offline
trapper
sgs  Offline
trapper
S

NH
Quote:
To calm things down, I told him I would bring each coon to him as he said he can recognize the ones he hand feeds.

That was a mistake.

One guy is paying you to get rid of the raccoons and you bring them to his neighbor to feed!?

If I have a neighbor who is worried about the poor animals I'm trapping, I have to judge the situation. Some need to be told the truth and some need to be told that I'm bringing them out to a farm in the country where they can live out their lives in peace, harmony and abundance.

I prefer the first method but have come to realize there's a time for the second too.

Re: Neighbors conflict [Re: Michigan Trappin] #5039807
05/07/15 01:04 PM
05/07/15 01:04 PM
Florida
B
bjansma Offline
trapper
bjansma  Offline
trapper
B

Florida
What are you going to do if he "recognizes" one? Release? Can't be everyone's friend. I would take care of my customer. I would probably find other fur trapping ground as well.

Bob Jansma
Re: Neighbors conflict [Re: sgs] #5039891
05/07/15 02:52 PM
05/07/15 02:52 PM
Southwest Michigan
M
trapper
trapper
M

Southwest Michigan
Originally Posted By: sgs
Quote:
To calm things down, I told him I would bring each coon to him as he said he can recognize the ones he hand feeds.

That was a mistake.

One guy is paying you to get rid of the raccoons and you bring them to his neighbor to feed!?

If I have a neighbor who is worried about the poor animals I'm trapping, I have to judge the situation. Some need to be told the truth and some need to be told that I'm bringing them out to a farm in the country where they can live out their lives in peace, harmony

I prefer the first method but have come to realize there's a time for the second too.

Mistake based on what. He's happy and knows the others are leaving with me. As far as charging the other guy. That's easy, he doesn't know every animal I catch. I just don't charge for that one if I catch it.

Last edited by Michigan Trappin; 05/07/15 02:56 PM.

Re: Neighbors conflict [Re: Michigan Trappin] #5039901
05/07/15 03:01 PM
05/07/15 03:01 PM
Southwest Michigan
M
trapper
trapper
M

Southwest Michigan
Ok also, first off. I don't want to sound like a smart A. BUT I want to know WHAT people have done in this situation not what WOULD YOU DO if it happen to you. Sorry not trying to be rude, just written words don't allow for that comment without sounding rude

Thx

And keep in mind it's not just be everyone's friend it's also helping these neighbors not have a big conflict.

Re: Neighbors conflict [Re: Michigan Trappin] #5039915
05/07/15 03:10 PM
05/07/15 03:10 PM
Haubstadt, In.
G
G Hanold Offline
trapper
G Hanold  Offline
trapper
G

Haubstadt, In.
I'm just guessing that these neighbors are close as in living in a neighborhood and not country neighbors where they at most can see each others houses. If he's feeding raccoons, it is a good chance that those are the raccoons that are causing the problem. They are seeing houses and people as food sources and are being drawn into contact with the other neighbor because to them contact with people has become a positive. Just a guess on my part.

User formerly known as Hanible.

Trapping &
Removal of
Animal
Pests
Re: Neighbors conflict [Re: Michigan Trappin] #5039917
05/07/15 03:12 PM
05/07/15 03:12 PM
kent county, MI
B
bluebill Offline
trapper
bluebill  Offline
trapper
B

kent county, MI
When this happens to me I fulfill my obligation written in my contract with my customer within the context of the law.

Re: Neighbors conflict [Re: Michigan Trappin] #5039933
05/07/15 03:33 PM
05/07/15 03:33 PM
NH
S
sgs Offline
trapper
sgs  Offline
trapper
S

NH
Quote:
I want to know WHAT people have done in this situation not what WOULD YOU DO if it happen to you.

Well, it's happened to me and I responded as you wished.

What you are experiencing is not unusual, it's fairly common. One person feeds the animals and the other person finds them a nuisance and that person is your customer. You are under no obligation to inject yourself in neighborhood squabbles. You're there to do the job you're getting paid to do.

Your obligation lies with your customer.

Re: Neighbors conflict [Re: Michigan Trappin] #5039957
05/07/15 04:01 PM
05/07/15 04:01 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
I personally think you handled it just fine. Everybody is happy. The only thing I would do is bring coons from other areas to the guy

who feeds. That way he'll never recognize one of his raccoons and if he does, he's lying. The guy who feeds may miss them for a while

but raccoons seem to be able to smell crazy people for miles. Next year he'll be feeding twice as many. You'll have a job forever.

Re: Neighbors conflict [Re: Michigan Trappin] #5039990
05/07/15 04:29 PM
05/07/15 04:29 PM
California
T
Throw Back Offline
trapper
Throw Back  Offline
trapper
T

California
I had something similar with squirrels. I have to do right by the customer, and do what biologically makes sense.

What kind of problem are the raccoons causing? Will the problem be perpetuated by releasing them?

When I was in the situation I figured ever squirrel caught on the property became the property owners decision,as it is on his. I cant transport it across to be his neighbors descision.

Re: Neighbors conflict [Re: Michigan Trappin] #5040013
05/07/15 04:50 PM
05/07/15 04:50 PM
St. Louis Co, Mo
B
BigBob Offline
trapper
BigBob  Offline
trapper
B

St. Louis Co, Mo
Originally Posted By: Michigan Trappin
Mistake based on what. He's happy and knows the others are leaving with me.

To go where? Dumping them next door doesn't solve any problems, creates more, and IMO borders on fraud.

Every kid needs a Dog and a Curmudgeon.

Remember Bowe Bergdahl, the traitor.

Beware! Jill Pudlewski, Ron Oates and Keven Begesse are liars and thiefs!
Re: Neighbors conflict [Re: Michigan Trappin] #5040054
05/07/15 05:18 PM
05/07/15 05:18 PM
Southwest Michigan
M
trapper
trapper
M

Southwest Michigan
Ok there is some psychological issues taking place here to I believe. The short version

This is in the country but both houses are no more than fifty feet from the road and directly across from each other. From discussions with both guys, never any problems between them in past

Older gentlemans wife passed away three weeks ago, just before I started ADC work for county at this location (for beavers). When I first started the old guy said I could set traps right in ponds were his swans were he said " I don't care if they get caught I can replace them". I didn't trap ponds though. Two days later he says he changed his mind about swans. Then he asked if I could set a trap for a particular hole he thought a muskrat was using. He has several cats. And we went through the same "I don't care if you catch one of the cats" No don't catch a cat 2 days later

So three days ago he asks about catchin raccoons I say sure and after I caught two, he goes over to neighbors and says. " your raccoon is gone now".

So the next day the neighbor tells me about two raccoons that have been coming to him when he's out I yard in the evenings for a couple of years

So today the neighbor comes over to talk to me about "his raccoon". And the discussion goes for a while about how the older fella never had a problem with the raccoons being around. Even would bring his grand kids over to the other guys to feed the raccoons. I'm now just thinking the older fella is just not coping well with the loss of his wife. I am way more concerned with these two getting along than I am about making a few dollars.

Anyway this is what I have decided to do.

I am only trapping two more days, the neighbor does not care about any of the other raccoons, just his friendly one. I am going to show him any of the additional ones I catch and if I get it I will release it back on his property I told him about the other three already and he said not the ones he feeds based on description the ones he likes should be. Easy to I'D I will not charge the old fella for t if I catch it. I have a suspicion that by Saturday the old feller is going to change his mind

I've learned as a contractor sometimes you are the counselor, negotiator and/or advisor too

Maybe this all makes more sense to you guys now that I have given further details

Thx for your advise
Sorry if I offended anyone

Re: Neighbors conflict [Re: Michigan Trappin] #5040219
05/07/15 08:32 PM
05/07/15 08:32 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
Like I said before, you handled it just fine. Those neighbors have got to put up with each other long after you are gone. I like your

remark about their friendship being more important than your money. I'm sure your right about the man not adapting well to being a

widower. Sounds like you handled this ever changing situation better than most of us. Keep up the good work.

Re: Neighbors conflict [Re: Michigan Trappin] #5040468
05/08/15 12:04 AM
05/08/15 12:04 AM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
More than once I've told a jackwipe, "you ain't paying me, go away". Sometimes I use different words for those last two.

[Linked Image]
Re: Neighbors conflict [Re: Michigan Trappin] #5040487
05/08/15 12:36 AM
05/08/15 12:36 AM
Mt. Olive, IL
R
Ron Scheller Offline
trapper
Ron Scheller  Offline
trapper
R

Mt. Olive, IL
Originally Posted By: Michigan Trappin
Now the one property owner has me doing raccoons for him, and he told the other guy. Who loves the raccoons and has several he hand feeds.

Today the guy who feeds them told me that the other guy never had a problem with the raccoons before so has no idea why he is having me trap them.

Interesting. First off, I'm curious how your state wildlife laws read concerning what is considered a "problem" raccoon (or other animal). In Illinois, they must be living in a structure, causing physical damage to property, or present a safety/health issue.

That eliminates most cases of someone other than the customer being "concerned" about the issue. We can't trap most wildlife simply for population reduction or because "someone saw one walk down the alley" or through their yard. Not a good enough reason.

If raccoons are living in a hollow tree.... our regional wildlife biologist simply responds with "That's where they belong.... raccoons live in trees. Leave them there."

However, if they meet the criteria for removal, he has no problem at all with trapping and euthanizing. It's been illegal to relocate raccoons in Illinois since 1999. That also makes it easier to decide what to do with them!

Wondering what the landowner is considering a "problem" with them.

Ron Scheller

Re: Neighbors conflict [Re: Michigan Trappin] #5040592
05/08/15 07:45 AM
05/08/15 07:45 AM
kent county, MI
B
bluebill Offline
trapper
bluebill  Offline
trapper
B

kent county, MI
Ron. Michigan law says concerning raccoons that they must be doing damage or about to do damage. It's the about to do damage phrase that opens up a huge grey area.

Re: Neighbors conflict [Re: Michigan Trappin] #5040650
05/08/15 08:52 AM
05/08/15 08:52 AM
OH
Eric Arnold Offline
trapper
Eric Arnold  Offline
trapper

OH
I just had a similar issue a couple of weeks ago. One neighbor is having problems with raccoon while the other is feeding them. The one paying me is the one having the issue, so aside from letting my customer know about the problem and being polite to the other neighbor (and being more alert with potential issues with releases and/or damaged missing equipment) all I did was focus on the job.

In your case, it almost sounds like if the neighbors would talk about what the problem is both parties could come to a resolution. I've had this happen several times over my career and it almost always comes down to people not understanding cause and effect, so I always suggest to the client that they talk with their neighbor about the problem.

Since you have trapping permission, how do you plan to handle the situation when you catch raccoon he has been feeding or one's that you've released when season rolls around?

Eric Arnold
Publishing Editor W.C.T. Magazine
Editor The Fur Taker Magazine
Re: Neighbors conflict [Re: Eric Arnold] #5040782
05/08/15 11:24 AM
05/08/15 11:24 AM
Southwest Michigan
M
trapper
trapper
M

Southwest Michigan
Originally Posted By: WCT
I just had a similar issue a couple of weeks ago. One neighbor is having problems with raccoon while the other is feeding them. The one paying me is the one having the issue, so aside from letting my customer know about the problem and being polite to the other neighbor (and being more alert with potential issues with releases and/or damaged missing equipment) all I did was focus on the job.

In your case, it almost sounds like if the neighbors would talk about what the problem is both parties could come to a resolution. I've had this happen several times over my career and it almost always comes down to people not understanding cause and effect, so I always suggest to the client that they talk with their neighbor about the problem.

Since you have trapping permission, how do you plan to handle the situation when you catch raccoon he has been feeding or one's that you've released when season rolls around?

Seems that raccoon fur is basically worthless for sale due to market I will not be targeting them anyway, but I would just not target raccoons on these properties. Mainly want to water trap and coyote trap these properties anyway.

As far as release of raccoons here. Only ones that would be released would be the ones he says are the friendly ones. I have removed and disposed of three raccoons here and trapping stops tomorrow

As far as the other question about trapping these in michigan. They are in the curtilage of property actually traps are set against the foundation wall of house, the raccoons have been dDigging into his potted plants next to house.

I know I could catch these raccoons still in fall when fur trapping but it is unlikely as the only land trapping will be for coyotes and that will take place away from yards so minimal chance of catching fluffy coon

Plus that bridge is 6 mos away. They could be road kill by then

I

Re: Neighbors conflict [Re: Michigan Trappin] #5040815
05/08/15 11:43 AM
05/08/15 11:43 AM
NH
S
sgs Offline
trapper
sgs  Offline
trapper
S

NH
Other than relative size, I wonder how he will know "his" raccoons. A wild raccoon in a cage probably isn't going to act as friendly as one being fed outside of the cage.

Doesn't really matter though, you are doing what you think is best and that's about all anyone can ask.

Re: Neighbors conflict [Re: Michigan Trappin] #5041017
05/08/15 05:10 PM
05/08/15 05:10 PM
Dudley NC
M
Muddawg Offline
trapper
Muddawg  Offline
trapper
M

Dudley NC
I don't know that this particular scenario could happen here. First off, we can remove no animals out of season without depredation permits. In order to issue such a permit I must be able to show damage or threat to human health.

If I were working a beaver job and someone ask me about removing coons, my first question would have to be, "Are they causing any damage?" If so, then I can issue the permit and take the animals. Someone feeding them on the other side of the road has no say so in the matter.

There again, I'm not sure that the feeding neighbor isn't breaking a law in feeding wildlife to start with. Fact is, if neighbor "A" is feeding the raccoons and those coons are damaging property belonging to neighbor "B", neighbor "A" could find himself liable for the damages and the removal cost.

All in all, I would do the job for the one paying me and not worry about what the neighbor thinks. Let them fight that out amongst themselves. I'm not one who looks fondly on the feeding of wild animals to begin with.

Muddawg
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread