Fur Handling Archive

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Catalog~

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: problem with greasey coons [Re: ] #502809
01/06/08 09:12 AM
01/06/08 09:12 AM
MI
L
LM Shortcut Offline
trapper
LM Shortcut  Offline
trapper
L

MI
Not sure what your coon are like, but, our coon here are "fat" and have a good hide to them. Like was said, skin and then cool, then scrape the fat off, then, slip the hide on a board and use a hog scraper, some call it a bell scraper, to get the butter like fat off the hide. The hog scraper has a round blade and the Inside of the blade is sharp. It takes only one extra minute to make it look real nice. I have been doing this for 30 years. It makes a real nice hide and you will get top dollar for them, for your area. Good Luck.

Re: problem with greasey coons [Re: LM Shortcut] #503141
01/06/08 01:44 PM
01/06/08 01:44 PM
Idaho
A
Andy Smith Offline
trapper
Andy Smith  Offline
trapper
A

Idaho
You really should try the corn meal...It works and the blood comes right off with borax... no need to wash, its done. Andy

Re: problem with greasey coons [Re: Andy Smith] #503203
01/06/08 02:15 PM
01/06/08 02:15 PM
Hill City, Mn.
R
Rally Hess Offline
trapper
Rally Hess  Offline
trapper
R

Hill City, Mn.
I have always used a fine pine saw dust to keep my coon and skunks clean. I first flesh down about a third of the way from the nose and then cover the hide with this saw dust. This absorbs the fluid grease and just rolls off with the fleshing process. It also saves extra strokes of the fleshing knife due to slipping. It also keeps the grease from getting into the apron, tail and the floor of your shop.
After the coon has been drying a couple days I then put the nose of the coon still on the board into the box of saw dust and cover it again, then wipe it with a cooton rag or old T shirt. This gets the excess grease off and the excess saw dust wipes away from leather and skirt of the coon.
I've washed a few coon and the results were a flat dull looking leather. Coon are suppose to have a "sheen" to the leather from the grease when finnished. I would guess a flat leathered coon may be picked up by the grader. They will be tumbled later at the auction house anyway.

Keep Your Boots Dry
Re: problem with greasey coons [Re: Rally Hess] #503237
01/06/08 02:32 PM
01/06/08 02:32 PM

J
Joe B
Unregistered
Joe B
Unregistered
J

If it is the clear oil coming out as the coon dries, it's nothing to worry about. Just wipe it off if you want.

If your coon still has white fat or gristle showing on it as it dries, that should have been scraped off. Gristle may stick behind the neck the worst. That needs to be taken off because it may taint and slip at that spot.

I could be wrong, but I doubt a coon would be downgraded because of some clear oil remaining on the dried skin or on the fur around the edges.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Wolfdog91