ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
hazing and releasing? #4522090
06/16/14 02:01 PM
06/16/14 02:01 PM
California
T
Throw Back Offline OP
trapper
Throw Back  Offline OP
trapper
T

California
In California its illegal to relocate animals. I know some companys enforce a strictly "humane" policy of release and relocate, but that doesn't seem possible in my semi rural area. If a fox is getting chickens, there is always exclusion work to be done, but would it also work to trap a fox and have it hazed with dogs/paintball in the same way they do bears? Would it have the desired effect? What about raccoons?

Re: hazing and releasing? [Re: Throw Back] #4522236
06/16/14 04:22 PM
06/16/14 04:22 PM
CT
R
RF Wildlife Offline
trapper
RF Wildlife  Offline
trapper
R

CT
Tried it with a raccoon getting into my trash cans. Worked for about a month, then had another trash thief unknown if same animal. I would be afraid to try it on a customers racoon. Catching them in the cage is an educational experience for the raccoon. We have pretty much no choice but to use cages here, hate to shoot myself in the foot if it did not work..

Re: hazing and releasing? [Re: Throw Back] #4522241
06/16/14 04:28 PM
06/16/14 04:28 PM
Chauncey, Ohio
W
wormbobskey Offline
trapper
wormbobskey  Offline
trapper
W

Chauncey, Ohio
I do the hazing and release only on cats. Have yet to catch the same cat at a location. In Ohio we are not allowed to relocate caught animals and I make it a point to inform homeowners of this at the start of every job. Personally I don't think its a good idea. Had a heck of a time catching a coon this weekend because he acted like he had been caught before. He came to the back of the cages and reached in to steal the bait. I had forgot my anchoring stakes and it had rolled a couple of the cages over to get to the bait. After resetting the area with cages with smaller wire mesh and anchoring stakes I was able to pick up the coon. At least I think I got the guilty coon. If not I'm sure the homeowner will let me know

OSTA
Lanums ADC & Repair
We don't do bugs
Re: hazing and releasing? [Re: Throw Back] #4522297
06/16/14 05:19 PM
06/16/14 05:19 PM
St. Louis Co, Mo
B
BigBob Offline
trapper
BigBob  Offline
trapper
B

St. Louis Co, Mo
In some states they have the sense to not allow re-location.
It mess's up the bio diversity, and researchers will get skewed results.
The transportee's will get dumped in another animals range, they will have NO idea where to find food, water and shelter.
They may not have any immunity to local diseases, and spread diseases from their old area, like Rabies.
You're dumping an educated animal in somebody else's area.

Every kid needs a Dog and a Curmudgeon.

Remember Bowe Bergdahl, the traitor.

Beware! Jill Pudlewski, Ron Oates and Keven Begesse are liars and thiefs!
Re: hazing and releasing? [Re: Throw Back] #4522380
06/16/14 06:28 PM
06/16/14 06:28 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
Big Bob, this is my rebuttal. ( Actually, my buttal is fine, but my wife complains about hers all the time )

Unless, of course, you live in Wisconsin with no raccoon rabies and lots of great relocation.

It's still survival of the fittest and even the fittest end up as oil stains on the roads and highways.

Apparently that disease thing is a myth. So far, in 2014, we have more animals than ever before.

We only dump stupid animals like opossums. I think I've caught the same one 27 times now. ( He's a money maker )

Re: hazing and releasing? [Re: Throw Back] #4522388
06/16/14 06:35 PM
06/16/14 06:35 PM
St. Louis Co, Mo
B
BigBob Offline
trapper
BigBob  Offline
trapper
B

St. Louis Co, Mo
LOL, been there, done that, and got the T-shirt.
Actually there's a serious problem in my area with Rabies, and other air born Virus's, and I'm amazed that Mo just "Discourages" re-location of animals. (but banned transporting firewood).

Every kid needs a Dog and a Curmudgeon.

Remember Bowe Bergdahl, the traitor.

Beware! Jill Pudlewski, Ron Oates and Keven Begesse are liars and thiefs!
Re: hazing and releasing? [Re: Throw Back] #4522407
06/16/14 06:43 PM
06/16/14 06:43 PM
Eastern Shore of Maryland
bad karma Offline
trapper
bad karma  Offline
trapper

Eastern Shore of Maryland
Rabies is huge issue here at present and relocation is not allowed except on public hunting ground with permission of the area manager(who will say h*ll no!).

Never argue with a fool - they will drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Re: hazing and releasing? [Re: Throw Back] #4522532
06/16/14 08:09 PM
06/16/14 08:09 PM
NM
H
HD_Wildlife Offline
trapper
HD_Wildlife  Offline
trapper
H

NM
Ahhh, Paul, can always count on you for the land of magical fairy dust version of wildlife populations that are completely immune to disease....

smile

What is also humorous is that the "numbers" of healthy wildlife you mention, you usually post to complain that the state has it's head in it's rear when it comes to the numbers...

At least some things are a constant... lol!

On a side note, when you think about making "hazing" within a captured situation, remember that to some hazing would be construed as breaking animal welfare laws.... One man's hazing is tonights 5 o'clock news and law enforcement situation... Just sayin...

Re: hazing and releasing? [Re: Throw Back] #4522727
06/16/14 09:33 PM
06/16/14 09:33 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
Justin, you need to re-read my posts. The only numbers I get are from the state. I don't disbelieve them at all. What I don't believe is that if you have 1200 wolves and take away 500 wolves, that you will arrive at your desired number of 350 wolves.

I apologize about the numbers of healthy wildlife. I only meant the wildlife that we deal with in southeastern Wisconsin. Where I normally catch 3 or 4 raccoon, this year, I'm catching 10.

The deer slaughter on the highway down here is worse than I have ever seen it. There is a car killed raccoon every mile. Our catches of every species I can think of is up this year. ( And after our winter, that's hard to believe )

I'm certainly not implying that the northern part of the state was a plethora of wildlife like we do down here. We are just taking advantage of our good fortune until the wolves move down here and spoil everything like they've done up north.

P.S. From all reports, we would still be able to make some money spraying for mosquitoes up north. I understand that they are having one of the finest crops ever!

And I'm really sorry that our raccoons don't have any rabies. Maybe the mange and distemper will make up for the lack of rabies!

Re: hazing and releasing? [Re: HD_Wildlife] #4524177
06/17/14 08:30 PM
06/17/14 08:30 PM
California
T
Throw Back Offline OP
trapper
Throw Back  Offline OP
trapper
T

California
Originally Posted By: HD_Wildlife
Ahhh, Paul, can always count on you for the land of magical fairy dust version of wildlife populations that are completely immune to disease....

smile

What is also humorous is that the "numbers" of healthy wildlife you mention, you usually post to complain that the state has it's head in it's rear when it comes to the numbers...

At least some things are a constant... lol!

On a side note, when you think about making "hazing" within a captured situation, remember that to some hazing would be construed as breaking animal welfare laws.... One man's hazing is tonights 5 o'clock news and law enforcement situation... Just sayin...

true. Guess will avoid the hazing

Re: hazing and releasing? [Re: wormbobskey] #4524692
06/18/14 06:30 AM
06/18/14 06:30 AM
OH
M
mousie Offline
trapper
mousie  Offline
trapper
M

OH
Originally Posted By: wormbobskey
I do the hazing and release only on cats. In Ohio we are not allowed to relocate caught animals

only on some animals. there are some that can be released.

never make someone a priority when they make you an option !
Re: hazing and releasing? [Re: Throw Back] #4528271
06/21/14 05:23 AM
06/21/14 05:23 AM
Columbus, MI -63-
SgtMaj Bob Offline
trapper
SgtMaj Bob  Offline
trapper

Columbus, MI -63-
Two years ago, I had two coons invading my garden. I set a cage trap & caught one each day. When caught, I banged on the cage with a stick, shook the cage vigorously and then released them from the dock of my pond. They swam across the pond as fast as they could go, ran into the woods and never came back to my garden. I'm guessing the treatment worked.

S/F,

Bob

If someone has done better than you, you settled for less but, it's not their fault.

Semper Fi,

Bob
Re: hazing and releasing? [Re: Throw Back] #4528490
06/21/14 09:56 AM
06/21/14 09:56 AM
NM
H
HD_Wildlife Offline
trapper
HD_Wildlife  Offline
trapper
H

NM
Ultimately whether the hazing works or not is largely based on risk reward and perceived threat.

An adult animal that has caught and killed chickens it's whole life is going to risk more for the known reward.

Versus a younger animal that maybe snagged a chicken once and experienced that type of cage trap harassment.

Putting it in terms we all know would we expect a career criminal to reoffend versus the first timer that gets scared straight?

With wildlife just like with any other species behavior, biology, resource availability all impact outcomes.

In a tough year without alternate food or resources animals will try harder against risks logically.

Can hazing work? Without a doubt, it is proven and effective just not every time.

Worth trying? Sure most wildlife advocates would rather see folks attempting to haze rather than going straight to removal of nuisance species.

Re: hazing and releasing? [Re: Throw Back] #4528554
06/21/14 10:49 AM
06/21/14 10:49 AM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
I tried this on my daughters boyfriends when they started dating. ( Just a couple of shots in the air over their heads )

It didn't work. Both are married with kids of their own. ( It's okay though. The grandkids work for me )

Re: hazing and releasing? [Re: Throw Back] #4528578
06/21/14 11:28 AM
06/21/14 11:28 AM
Mount Horeb, Wisconsin
TrapperLon Offline
trapper
TrapperLon  Offline
trapper

Mount Horeb, Wisconsin
My hazing method for skunks is to kick the cage. Then I poke them with a sick a few times. Lastly I slap them across the face and then let them go. It works great. If you can stand the smell.

Semper Fi
Re: hazing and releasing? [Re: Throw Back] #4528587
06/21/14 11:42 AM
06/21/14 11:42 AM
NM
H
HD_Wildlife Offline
trapper
HD_Wildlife  Offline
trapper
H

NM
Love it Paul!! Lol! smile

Re: hazing and releasing? [Re: Throw Back] #4528805
06/21/14 04:01 PM
06/21/14 04:01 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
Hey TrapperLon, as a fellow Wisconsinite I feel I should give you a high-five on that one, but your hands stink!

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread