General Trapping Archive

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Catalog~

Print Thread
Hop To
Skunk dispatching methods #452067
12/09/07 01:16 PM
12/09/07 01:16 PM
Central Illinois
V
Varquar Offline OP
trapper
Varquar  Offline OP
trapper
V

Central Illinois
Didn't want to hijack the video thread so - has anyone ever thought about using something like the Pneudart Blowpipe for delivering skunk dispatch fluid??? I have one for work and have used it to tranquilize a 334 pound llama. I've practiced with it a bit and can hit a 10 inch paper plate at 35 feet about 85-95% of the time. From dealing with the llama I can tell you a couple things.

1. if you hit the animal it startles them but they don't know exactly what happened and if you are calm go back doing what they were doing within a few seconds.

2. if you miss them (which occasionally happens) the startle at the puff of breath but quickly relax again.

3. it is extremely lightweight and comes in two sections that break down well.

4. The kit comes with several choices of disposible darts and the price is comparible to some of the higher end syringe/pole combinations. I believe we got our for about $55

of course there is a down side (at is there to everything). The darts are about $2.00 a piece and the limit for the average person is about 1.5 cc per dart. Some people with...ummm...large lungs....errrr have the energy to send 2 or 2.5 cc darts. I'm not sure how much dispatch fluid is required for a skunk.

For a short line or just a few skunks it may be a solution. Just a thought.

David

Re: Skunk dispatching methods [Re: CodyCoyote12] #452081
12/09/07 01:30 PM
12/09/07 01:30 PM
Central Illinois
V
Varquar Offline OP
trapper
Varquar  Offline OP
trapper
V

Central Illinois
If he makes dart guns that's great. We have one of those and I can fire a 3 cc dart and hit a 10" plate sized target at 50 feet (upwind I hope) \:\) and some of them fire up to a 10 cc dart. Have to ask him to give it a try some day and see if it works. The projectors cost about the same as a good pellet gun but if you handle a couple skunks and get sprayed - I'm sure our non trapping friends would think it was a good investment \:\)

David

Re: Skunk dispatching methods [Re: CodyCoyote12] #452314
12/09/07 04:39 PM
12/09/07 04:39 PM
Central Illinois
V
Varquar Offline OP
trapper
Varquar  Offline OP
trapper
V

Central Illinois
There is several places. We use a company named Pneudart. They make projectors, both air and powder fired, darts, and accessories. You can see their stuff at http://www.pneudart.com

Re: Skunk dispatching methods [Re: Varquar] #452328
12/09/07 04:45 PM
12/09/07 04:45 PM
Magna, Utah
G
GritGuy Offline
trapper
GritGuy  Offline
trapper
G

Magna, Utah
Wrong wrong wrong, you've already got the correct equipment ready to utilize, you just have to overcome your fear of being sprayed!! Much easier to just inject the 10 cc's of the required fluid, works quickly and humanely. Instead of wondering if your going to hit a small target area the size of a small aseball 30 feet away!!

Can't believe people will worry about this when we have so many tried and proven methods of dispatch, plus the de-scenting method available also.

Stuff like this just shows others how come many others don't like trappers!!

[Linked Image]

Sorry if my opinions or replies offend you, they are not meant to !

Re: Skunk dispatching methods [Re: GritGuy] #452622
12/09/07 07:36 PM
12/09/07 07:36 PM
Central Illinois
V
Varquar Offline OP
trapper
Varquar  Offline OP
trapper
V

Central Illinois
Actually until I know what is in the fluid and if it is approved for use of skunks I wouldn't go near the stuff. Using something that isn't approved to be used to euthanize a skunk 'just shows others how come many others don't like trappers!!' is how I believe you put it.

Re: Skunk dispatching methods [Re: Varquar] #452636
12/09/07 07:43 PM
12/09/07 07:43 PM
Brooklyn, Iowa 45 years old st...
K
k9. Offline
trapper
k9.  Offline
trapper
K

Acetone has humanely and effectively put down thousands if not millions of skunks nationwide over the years. It is tried and true. Is that "approved" enough for you?

If you are that afraid of a skunk then maybe you should step back and reconsider why you are even trapping.

My gosh we have even had guys posting videos on how to do it on here. If watching someone do it isn't enough, I don't know what is.

My PVC skunk pole has about $5 wrapped up in it for cost. Can't buy darts and a gun for that, and I promise you will have a hard time putting down skunks with it.

Some issues regarding trapping you just do not HAVE to think hard about, and this is one of them.

Re: Skunk dispatching methods [Re: k9.] #452734
12/09/07 08:19 PM
12/09/07 08:19 PM
Central Illinois
V
Varquar Offline OP
trapper
Varquar  Offline OP
trapper
V

Central Illinois
I suppose you are right - it's time to hang up the traps. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Re: Skunk dispatching methods [Re: Varquar] #452802
12/09/07 08:53 PM
12/09/07 08:53 PM
Missouri Ozarks
N
N.Roberts Offline
trapper
N.Roberts  Offline
trapper
N

Missouri Ozarks
I have a question about the PVC poles:
Do you have some sort of rod to push the syringe plunger or do you just attached the syringe by the plunger and push the plunger by pressing the syringe into the target?

Re: Skunk dispatching methods [Re: N.Roberts] #452864
12/09/07 09:14 PM
12/09/07 09:14 PM
GRAVETTE ARK
A
Ark Trapper Offline
trapper
Ark Trapper  Offline
trapper
A

GRAVETTE ARK
agf is looking @ the use of acetone, one ? is how long dose it remain in the body & what are the effects on other animals that may eat the skunk. it looks as if they may ban it. any help here??

Re: Skunk dispatching methods [Re: Ark Trapper] #453058
12/09/07 10:46 PM
12/09/07 10:46 PM
K
k9. Offline
trapper
k9.  Offline
trapper
K

I don't know about the side effects becuase my skunks either get sold or become coyote bait. I just know it puts the skunk down in about 30 seconds. Outside the body Acetone evaporates very quickly. I don't know what happens to it inside a carcass.

I have a smaller PVC inside the larger one as a push rod, and I grind the "wings" off the syringes, and slide them up into the PVC. I then stick an end cap on that has a hole drilled in it for a needle. It fits snug enough to hold it all together. Insert needle into skunk, inject, and you are done. I then take off the end cap, remove the syringe, and put all away until next time. Do not permanently attach your syringe as eventually the plunger will go bad and you will need the ability to take the syringe in and out.

I use a big syringe that fits perfectly into the PVC snug, once you grind the little finger tabs off of it.

I would have to look but I think I used 1 inch PVC and then a 3/4 inch one inside that for a push rod. As you stand in the PVC isle just put one inside the other until you find what fits.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Wolfdog91