ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
neighbor's barking dog needs silenced. #4502930
06/03/14 04:23 PM
06/03/14 04:23 PM
SW Pa.
M
manyplews Offline OP
trapper
manyplews  Offline OP
trapper
M

SW Pa.
My neighbor has 3 dogs and 2 of them are noisy little yapping buggers.
If I'm working in my garden or near my fur shed,the little buggers are leaping against
the 4 foot high mesh fence and barking as hard as they can.
The neighbor can't be bothered to come outside and shut them up or take them back in the house.
Is anyone aware of an ultrasonic bark detector/silence that works?
If you look at the customer reviews on Amazon,apparently none of them work.
I'd like to get a unit that I can mount on my fur shed and leave it on permanently.
Thanks!!

The older I get,the better I used to be!
Re: neighbor's barking dog needs silenced. [Re: manyplews] #4502941
06/03/14 04:29 PM
06/03/14 04:29 PM
Michigan
Coonhunter206 Offline
trapper
Coonhunter206  Offline
trapper

Michigan
I got a thing from Nite Lite and it's called the Barker Breaker if I can remember right. You can set it from a low sensitivity level to a high sensitivity level. What it does is when the dog barks the little unit that will easily fit into the palm of your hand lets of an ear piercing beep that dogs hate and it will make them be quiet. It take batteries but is really helpful. Hope this helps.

I Hunt Redbones!
When The Tailgate Drops, The Bullcrap Stops!
There will be no quitters till we kill some critters
Re: neighbor's barking dog needs silenced. [Re: manyplews] #4502952
06/03/14 04:36 PM
06/03/14 04:36 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
I have heard of something called a BB gun. Small copper projectile fired whenever dog barks. Is not harmful ( unless you hit an eyeball ) and can be purchased in different configurations.

Soft-air might be another consideration. Might even get the neighbor involved in soft-air.

Re: neighbor's barking dog needs silenced. [Re: manyplews] #4502983
06/03/14 04:54 PM
06/03/14 04:54 PM
East OK & West AR
Okiecntry Offline
trapper
Okiecntry  Offline
trapper

East OK & West AR

Re: neighbor's barking dog needs silenced. [Re: Coonhunter206] #4502995
06/03/14 05:10 PM
06/03/14 05:10 PM
St. Louis Co, Mo
B
BigBob Offline
trapper
BigBob  Offline
trapper
B

St. Louis Co, Mo
Originally Posted By: Coonhunter206
I got a thing from Nite Lite and it's called the Barker Breaker if I can remember right. You can set it from a low sensitivity level to a high sensitivity level. What it does is when the dog barks the little unit that will easily fit into the palm of your hand lets of an ear piercing beep that dogs hate and it will make them be quiet. It take batteries but is really helpful. Hope this helps.

Doesn't your local have a noise ordinance? Have you tried to make friends with the yappers? They view you as an interloper and they're SUPPOSED to bark at strangers. A bag of cheapo treats would work wonders. If the 3rd dog will come to you for a treat, the others will want to get in on the action too.

Every kid needs a Dog and a Curmudgeon.

Remember Bowe Bergdahl, the traitor.

Beware! Jill Pudlewski, Ron Oates and Keven Begesse are liars and thiefs!
Re: neighbor's barking dog needs silenced. [Re: manyplews] #4503233
06/03/14 07:32 PM
06/03/14 07:32 PM
Minnesota
B
bridog Offline
trapper
bridog  Offline
trapper
B

Minnesota
A bag of ex lax hot dog bits will give them something else to worry about...

Re: neighbor's barking dog needs silenced. [Re: manyplews] #4503371
06/03/14 08:59 PM
06/03/14 08:59 PM
St. Louis area
D
Dave Schmidt Offline
trapper
Dave Schmidt  Offline
trapper
D

St. Louis area
What BigBob said: make friends with 'em. You are in their "raise the alarm" zone and they are notifying their "pack" that an interloper is near. 90% of dog barking is of this type: "Hey, you guys! Come check this out!"

ALL OUT Wildlife Control
Re: neighbor's barking dog needs silenced. [Re: manyplews] #4503678
06/03/14 11:27 PM
06/03/14 11:27 PM
Oklahoma
80C Offline
trapper
80C  Offline
trapper

Oklahoma
Yes the ultrasonic deal works. I have one that looks like a bird house but outside it is only effective to about 15ft.

Re: neighbor's barking dog needs silenced. [Re: manyplews] #4503756
06/04/14 01:54 AM
06/04/14 01:54 AM
NM
H
HD_Wildlife Offline
trapper
HD_Wildlife  Offline
trapper
H

NM
Man, this topic is one I've got too much experience with...

(Disclaimer #1) Now, I grew up on a farm with a boarding kennel my grandparents founded at any given time we had 100+ dogs in care and barking is just part of the deal. However this place was in the country and completely rural no close neighbors. Just sayin barking in that setting never bothered me.

Exit that scenario and move ahead about 20 years and my wife and I owned our first home in the rainy northwest. Suburban neighborhood, first time living this close to folks and the neighbors had taken in a family members small dog. Whether we were in the yard or someone was walking by that dog went off constantly, I tried to be a good neighbor, went next door, explained the situation, no look of concern or response by these folks.

(Disclaimer #2 - We belonged to 2 dogs for 14 years and never would we allow them to be this type of bother to someone else)

Ultimately I tried the city animal control which I found required me to produce video of my own, get three other neighbors to testify, etc... etc...

Never resolved and a bad neighbor right to the end of the deal.

Now, to the feed treats to the dog and make friends folks, sorry this doesn't work in every deal. My in laws owned a house about 5 years back in suburban TX neighborhood, they went round and round trying to resolve the issue coming through the back fence which sounded like 3 angry dogs all day every day.

My father in law tried for months to feed treats and make friends, but let me ask you this, if you do this, aren't you training the barking dog to bark every time you come to the yard? Pavlov would have something to say about who is training who in this deal!

Didn't work for them, though I understand it could work to befriend the dog and show it you aren't a threat.

Fast forward, we buy our house in a tract in a smaller town in NM. Neighbor is a wonderful person, always waves, we share a hi now and again, then she decides for the kids she will get small dog (she hates the dog). The dog is put out every night (yorkshire terrier), cold weather and otherwise and left to bark wanting to be let back in where lap dogs belong.

We mention this barking to her, no result, we go to the HOA (after all we pay dues right, this is in the covenants and is covered), nope, they waive this issue to the local animal control ordinances, so we file a complaint, the barking stops for 2 days, then back to the action.

Ultimately the best result I had was using a foxpro with coyotes howling, however eventually the dogs desire to be inside the house warm and safe over rode the initial response to hunker down to avoid being a biscuit for the local coyotes. Though at least we had a few nights peace.

My bottom line is that I love dogs, they honestly are the best friend you can ever have and are loyal to a fault to the very very end. I would do anything for any dog I've ever owned and the only failings any of them had were mine as the human...

Too many people think owning a dog is simply chaining them out back and throwing some food and water out there on occasion. They don't care any more for the dog than they do for the neighbor and getting action in these cases is often a lost cause. You will end up with a (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) off neighbor and likely still have the barking dogs.

People get immune to their own dogs barking and unfortunately it can be hard to get them to understand how bad it can be to live next door to this noise pollution...

Good luck with your situation, I looked at the same electronics you did many years ago and like you said, many have very poor reviews....

Hits a nerve for me....

Re: neighbor's barking dog needs silenced. [Re: Coonhunter206] #4504147
06/04/14 02:13 PM
06/04/14 02:13 PM
SW Pa.
M
manyplews Offline OP
trapper
manyplews  Offline OP
trapper
M

SW Pa.
Originally Posted By: Coonhunter206

"no longer available "

looked like a good one,also.

Re: neighbor's barking dog needs silenced. [Re: manyplews] #4504174
06/04/14 02:42 PM
06/04/14 02:42 PM
SW Pa.
M
manyplews Offline OP
trapper
manyplews  Offline OP
trapper
M

SW Pa.
Have had hunting dogs and house pets all my life,until recently.
The one neighbor's dog is a boxer which is friendly to me.He comes to be petted,whenever he sees me.
One is a GD$@#&* Shitsu who appears to go raving mad - bounces off the fence and froths at the mouth.
3rd dog is a new one - some type of little bull dog - acts like the Shitsu.
Have pellet gun,BB and CB caps but don't want to use them.
Still looking for a high-frequency unit that can't be heard by humans.
Last option might be to hire someone to build a solid 6 foot high fence.Would do it myself if I hadn't had spinal fusion surgery and 2 torn rotator cuffs recently.

Re: neighbor's barking dog needs silenced. [Re: manyplews] #4504858
06/04/14 10:44 PM
06/04/14 10:44 PM
St. Louis area
D
Dave Schmidt Offline
trapper
Dave Schmidt  Offline
trapper
D

St. Louis area
I think you are referring to a Shi Tzu. This is a popular breed of dog, inexplicably.

ALL OUT Wildlife Control
Re: neighbor's barking dog needs silenced. [Re: manyplews] #4505122
06/05/14 08:24 AM
06/05/14 08:24 AM
SW Pa.
M
manyplews Offline OP
trapper
manyplews  Offline OP
trapper
M

SW Pa.
You're right on the spelling,but I'm wrong on which breed it is.
Looking at pix online,it's a Schnauzer.

Re: neighbor's barking dog needs silenced. [Re: manyplews] #4505312
06/05/14 11:02 AM
06/05/14 11:02 AM
St. Louis Co, Mo
B
BigBob Offline
trapper
BigBob  Offline
trapper
B

St. Louis Co, Mo
LOL, not even close in anything but a crappy attitude!

Every kid needs a Dog and a Curmudgeon.

Remember Bowe Bergdahl, the traitor.

Beware! Jill Pudlewski, Ron Oates and Keven Begesse are liars and thiefs!
Re: neighbor's barking dog needs silenced. [Re: manyplews] #4505800
06/05/14 06:05 PM
06/05/14 06:05 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
As long as we're talking about dogs, you already know that 'yours truly' can't possibly keep his mouth shut.

So I get this job several miles north of us along the lake. I go to the back deck door, as so many of us do, and am greeted by not only the owner, but two of the largest dogs I have ever seen.

The first was a large Newfoundland and the second was an equally huge Great Pyrenees. Luckily I'm a dog lover and every breed of dog can sense this. Did you ever think that you would get licked to death?

Re: neighbor's barking dog needs silenced. [Re: manyplews] #4505818
06/05/14 06:22 PM
06/05/14 06:22 PM
SW Pa.
M
manyplews Offline OP
trapper
manyplews  Offline OP
trapper
M

SW Pa.
My friend was a caretaker for a rich man's estate for many years.
They hunted lots of ducks,geese,pheasants,and chukars.
They had a big newfoundland that could swim like a walrus or a seal. Jim would throw
a rock the size of your fist into the deep end (11 feet deep) of the swimming pool and that dog would dive down and get that rock.
That dog was amazing!
His coat was pretty oily and had a strong odor when wet.

Re: neighbor's barking dog needs silenced. [Re: manyplews] #4505856
06/05/14 06:51 PM
06/05/14 06:51 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
Good post, manyplews. I had a neighbor that raised Newfies. One day I hunted pheasants on his property and one of his Newfie pups joined us. That pup was the most intelligent dog I've ever seen. Learned to hunt pheasants in less than an hour. Also learned to harvest every burdock on the entire farm. My neighbor was not happy!

Re: neighbor's barking dog needs silenced. [Re: manyplews] #4507206
06/06/14 05:56 PM
06/06/14 05:56 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
run, will they also work on irate wives, customers, employees, etc.? How about those nights when you just can't get to sleep?

Re: neighbor's barking dog needs silenced. [Re: manyplews] #4508031
06/07/14 06:53 AM
06/07/14 06:53 AM
catskill mnts, New York
W
watermann2 Offline
trapper
watermann2  Offline
trapper
W

catskill mnts, New York
I would write a friendly letter and complain . sometimes seeing things in print helps it to sink in. If that fails get a silent dog whistle . When your neighbors not home go near the fence ,tease the dogs and blow the whistle. Once they're trained to bark when they hear it whenever you get up in the middle of the night to take a leak blow the whistle . After a few nights complain some more .Maybe over time and sleepless nights your neighbor will realize something needs to be done. Meanwhile you can lay in bed laughing blowing the whistle. I have the same thing with my neighbor .

Aka Watermann...
Re: neighbor's barking dog needs silenced. [Re: manyplews] #4509839
06/08/14 10:43 AM
06/08/14 10:43 AM
S.W.Oregon
newhouse114 Offline
trapper
newhouse114  Offline
trapper

S.W.Oregon
Barking, I have always been able to tune it out. The ones that get me are the owners that let thier dogs run free with no reguard for the damage they do while loose. The dog ultimately pays the price for the owners lack of responsibility.

Life Member NTA & FTA
"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain

http://alaskastoneanivory.com/index
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread