Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 11 12
Re: *** Coyote Wars ! *** [Re: LT GREY] #4307463
02/11/14 05:03 PM
02/11/14 05:03 PM
South Dakota
T
TravC Offline
"MCnasty"
TravC  Offline
"MCnasty"
T

South Dakota
Biggest thing in summer in my opinion is it can be a waiting game on your traps sets snares etc you got to be patient and do your homework i have seen so many guys set around kills and think and work there buttss off in that area only to realize that a little home work walking and figurein things out would have led them to the "home range" most the time a big mis conception on kills and coyotes is that the coyotes are liveing where there killing i know lots of guys feel that way but im tellin ya go look for the quieter outfits and youl be suprised
had a show lamb outfit here got nailed around 30 kills the bite marks everything i could tell was tale tale that there was a couple but one coyte in particular that stuck out she had busted teeth or were worn down teeth i wound up catching 23 in an area that "has no coyotes" before i killed the "right" coyote. i use traps heavily i shy away from m-44s because of the bs and paperwork they can be a good tool but nine times out of ten a trap is just more effective and if a guy would let his sets work not pull them in 2 days a week or a month (sometimes it takes months on a set) to catch coyotes that get hammerd here in the sheep and goats 365 days a year bye any tool imaginable i once had a gyp a guy had caught she pulled out and chewed out of a snare caught her in a trap i had for 7 months same spot barely any lure the dropping was perdy much completely gone. patience guys. and boonie lane is a 100 percent corrrect coyotes do learn when to shut up doing adc a guy shure learns to set up buffer zone know your areas coyotes tend to hole up and travel thru and den and keep equipment working mild lures in summer urine is something not to get stingy or cheap with it DISSAPATES in hot weather use plenty of it but dont buy that cheap crap they sale commerialy pressured coyotes know better keep your country around your stock set up know your problem areas and dont go to sleep i will add on another note that you should hold some lures back from what other guys are useing sometimes something realy diffrent goes a long way. adc on coyotes is alot of home work looking for the ways in and out and realy figureing out coyotes sometimes it seems on a personal basis i hope this helps write more when i can

Last edited by TravC; 02/11/14 05:08 PM.

There i said it....
Re: *** Coyote Wars ! *** [Re: LT GREY] #4307771
02/11/14 07:19 PM
02/11/14 07:19 PM
Central Ohio
LT GREY Offline OP
trapper
LT GREY  Offline OP
trapper

Central Ohio
That from one of the top experts in the game, IMO.

Re: *** Coyote Wars ! *** [Re: LT GREY] #4308425
02/11/14 11:01 PM
02/11/14 11:01 PM
Eastern Utah
W
WallyH Offline
trapper
WallyH  Offline
trapper
W

Eastern Utah
Thank you TravC, that is excellent stuff right there. Please do share more when you can. I promise anything you guys care to share will not be wasted on me.

I don't know much, but what I do know I have memorized.
Re: *** Coyote Wars ! *** [Re: sempergumby] #4308859
02/12/14 07:28 AM
02/12/14 07:28 AM
N.W.GA
D
dixie306 Offline
trapper
dixie306  Offline
trapper
D

N.W.GA
Originally Posted By: sempergumby
Originally Posted By: dixie306
My two cents worth from the deep South, coyotes here in Ga are considered non game species and can be trapped and hunted all year, in the spring and summer, hunting them with a fawn decoy and using a fawn distress call in an open area such as a food plot works well for me, I'll set up, blow the call three, four times around a 100 yards from the decoy, if a coyote doesn't show in 30 minutes or less, I move to a different location. Trapping in the spring and summer I go to mild, sweeter smelling lures and use grapes, watermelon, carrots and cantaloupes for bait, in the fall and winter, I go back to the louder lures at my scent post sets, I don't use baits very much but when I do, I sprinkle a little amdro around the bait hole and set the trap a little further back than usual

Why are you only waiting 30 minutes? You might be educating a whole lot more coyotes than you are killing.
If I were using any other call, I'd agree with you but experience as taught me a fawn distress call is ringing the dinner bell, they don't stalk into the decoy, they run to it

Re: *** Coyote Wars ! *** [Re: sempergumby] #4308894
02/12/14 08:03 AM
02/12/14 08:03 AM
N.W.GA
D
dixie306 Offline
trapper
dixie306  Offline
trapper
D

N.W.GA
Originally Posted By: sempergumby
Grapes are toxic to dogs. So you may not have dispatch a coyote if you use them...lol
Here in Ga we have wild grapes, Muscatine's, coyotes and fox both love them, The late Mr Dobbins speaks of trapping around those vines in his book, guess they don't know they shouldn't eat them! And LT if you read this, as usual, your dead on target, I set the trails going to the fields and found busting a melon close to the trap line works for me. guys visit your states dept. of Ag sites and read about what crops are most damaged by coyotes, as LT points out LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION and reading those crop damage reports tells you what the coyotes are feeding on in your area in the summer, it doesn't have to be a large commercial field, a small home garden with melons planted works well, don't know whose ever seen how a coyote does damage to the watermelons or eats them in the fields, they bite every melon they come to until they find one ripe enough for it to bust and they eat everything, nothing left but a wet spot on the ground and a trail of unripe melons with canine fang marks on them Both Ga. and Texas suffer millions of dollars a year in their melon crop damage caused by coyotes, don't believe it? Ck for yourself, the info is just a few keystrokes away

Last edited by dixie306; 02/12/14 08:11 AM.
Re: *** Coyote Wars ! *** [Re: LT GREY] #4308943
02/12/14 08:49 AM
02/12/14 08:49 AM
Northern MN
O
Osky Offline
trapper
Osky  Offline
trapper
O

Northern MN
I do not think by waiting less than 30 minutes you educate them necessarily.
My average in the west, and I do keep track, is coyote in at the 13 minute mark but can vary on terrain some. I stay 20 to 25 tops.
Often I call with a "top gun" a rifle partner I leave buried in bush or rocks above me IF he can get in there from behind unseen. I sneak in and take the low ground with a scattergun.
He always stays put when we are done with the stand observing while I sneak back out. I keep an eye on him, he'll signal any late comers. We do not shoot many late comers. Pretty rare.
And I always try to get out quieter than going in so the spot will be good in the future.
Then again, when calling I call softer than most I think. I do not try to call the entire county at one set up. They can hear at incredible distances.
All that country out there is his dining room. If you had a coyote in your dining room you'd sure know it. I try to keep that in mind sneaking in and out.

"A womans heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth, and I can find no sign on it"

Jabless in Minnesota

www.SureDockusa.com
Re: *** Coyote Wars ! *** [Re: LT GREY] #4308957
02/12/14 09:03 AM
02/12/14 09:03 AM
western mn
B
bucksnbears Offline
trapper
bucksnbears  Offline
trapper
B

western mn
when calling, i like to get as close to where they are spending the day as i can without alerting them. much easier getting them to come 4-500 yards then a mile.
fighting sounds are working well this time of year.
Magpies that come from a long ways away and come quick usually means no coyotes are around.
when they come slow (tree hopping) i'm getting ready wink
i also watch for phesants/grouse flushing. expecially when calling around standing crops/cattails.

swampgas chili and schmidt beer makes for a deadly combo

You have to remember that 1 out of 3 Democratic Voters is just as dumb as the other two.
Re: *** Coyote Wars ! *** [Re: Osky] #4308988
02/12/14 09:25 AM
02/12/14 09:25 AM
SE Ohio
S
sempergumby Offline
trapper
sempergumby  Offline
trapper
S

SE Ohio
Originally Posted By: Osky
I do not think by waiting less than 30 minutes you educate them necessarily.
My average in the west, and I do keep track, is coyote in at the 13 minute mark but can vary on terrain some. I stay 20 to 25 tops.
Often I call with a "top gun" a rifle partner I leave buried in bush or rocks above me IF he can get in there from behind unseen. I sneak in and take the low ground with a scattergun.
He always stays put when we are done with the stand observing while I sneak back out. I keep an eye on him, he'll signal any late comers. We do not shoot many late comers. Pretty rare.
And I always try to get out quieter than going in so the spot will be good in the future.
Then again, when calling I call softer than most I think. I do not try to call the entire county at one set up. They can hear at incredible distances.
All that country out there is his dining room. If you had a coyote in your dining room you'd sure know it. I try to keep that in mind sneaking in and out.

Well, out here, you kill maybe one or two coyotes a year by waiting less than 30 minutes. I mean, how long does it take you to leave while your buddy is watching? How successful are you on each stand? What size of coyotes are you taking when you do get them? Are they all young pups, small females or are you getting a mix of all?

Re: *** Coyote Wars ! *** [Re: LT GREY] #4310250
02/12/14 07:51 PM
02/12/14 07:51 PM
central ohio
madcotrappwr Offline
trapper
madcotrappwr  Offline
trapper

central ohio
This is something to understand. I was told this by a pretty good coyote trapper.

Imagine pulling into your driveway at your home ground and there's a big red dot on the side of your house or in your yard. Think about how you will then approach the situation. it will be with caution and concern.

When your out in there on there home ground, don't be the red dot.

Will my toes ever warm up?

I'm Gonna die with my boots on.

Tim Henry.

Re: *** Coyote Wars ! *** [Re: madcotrappwr] #4315759
02/15/14 03:29 PM
02/15/14 03:29 PM
Manitoba, Canada
Ed the hunter Offline
trapper
Ed the hunter  Offline
trapper

Manitoba, Canada
Originally Posted By: madcotrappwr
This is something to understand. I was told this by a pretty good coyote trapper.

Imagine pulling into your driveway at your home ground and there's a big red dot on the side of your house or in your yard. Think about how you will then approach the situation. it will be with caution and concern.

When your out in there on there home ground, don't be the red dot.
people comment a lot about scent control at the trap sets, but I think a bigger factor is they are physically disturbing things at the set when they are there. And that disturbance equates to that big red dot.

The less branches you break, tracks you leave in the snow the better. Scent control is somewhat important the smell of gasoline on boots, butting out cigarettes next to your trap can be important. But what about knowing where the animals bed down? If you are approaching your set from one direction, animals are bedding down downwind from your sets, will it alert them to your presence and cause issues? Deer hunting it can, not sure how it affects k9s

Re: *** Coyote Wars ! *** [Re: LT GREY] #4332250
02/22/14 05:26 PM
02/22/14 05:26 PM
Central Ohio
LT GREY Offline OP
trapper
LT GREY  Offline OP
trapper

Central Ohio
Let's talk about locating denning areas and picking up the coyote before they have the pups.
Anyone on here have any denning experience ?

Re: *** Coyote Wars ! *** [Re: LT GREY] #4332531
02/22/14 08:33 PM
02/22/14 08:33 PM
Oklahoma
sparkyd Offline
trapper
sparkyd  Offline
trapper

Oklahoma
They are extremely hard to find in my neck of the woods because they very seldom den under ground. A lot of times they birth in thickets root balls and overhanging ledges. The females like spots not far from water and very, very thick. Best way here to locate is to use a pair of good dogs that are not real aggressive. Another good way to keep track is to bait with chicken or dog food and set cameras up to keep track of the coming and going. Another place to check for denning locations here is abandoned beaver holes around old pond banks.

Re: *** Coyote Wars ! *** [Re: LT GREY] #4332597
02/22/14 08:59 PM
02/22/14 08:59 PM
North ga
C
Coyotejody Offline
trapper
Coyotejody  Offline
trapper
C

North ga
Same here,twisted tornado paths and narly cutovers

Re: *** Coyote Wars ! *** [Re: LT GREY] #4332659
02/22/14 09:15 PM
02/22/14 09:15 PM
South Dakota
T
TravC Offline
"MCnasty"
TravC  Offline
"MCnasty"
T

South Dakota
et I appreciate the kind words but without Wayne derrick good trappers I have been absolutely honored to know and learn from helped me get a decent idea on what im doing I hope I will be half as good as any of them what makes a good trapper in adc is he’s got to LOVE what he does almost unconditionally.

denning is not something ill get into to much detail on an internet forum .but I can tell you guys that talk about calling and such one things calling and using dogs is very effective but with more pressure (weekend warriors calling competitions guys using e callers) its gets harder and harder ,dogs sometimes make the difference I don’t have any specific length of time I wait on a calling stand I sat in a place 2 hours howled 2 times and a pregnant gyp came in and didn’t make one sound there is one person who comes to mind that has completely misrepresented decoy dogs he’s from new Mexico and his name bears no mentioning I hate to talk smack but the guys a thief and a liar don’t buy dogs from that man butt the Eddie Wimberley’s Vern dorns etc used a great natural way to work on denning pairs or groups ( I have found several coyotes old to young at den sites) killing the gyp is important to me but killing the dog should never be underestimated he’s the protector he hunts brings food back (to regurgitate) to the gyp and pups, sometimes if you kill her and the pups, he’s going to get mad or just kill because he thinks hes got to it can be a bad sitchuation guys try to kill them both! find the den and take the pups lt made a great point kill her before she breeds work on it do everything you can to do so you save yourself a bunch of time and frustration. As the weather and time of year is right now KILL THEM NOW use your kick backs scent posts as there getting aggressive snaring seems to work real good this time of year its just hard in the sheep and goats that’s why I tend to snare fences the trick for me is to agitate coyotes this time of year make them mad on a kick back or a scent post even loud baits can do it from time to time if there just passion thru use something loud to get them to stop and work around it. calling is a very good tool but just one tool of many not the only one but not the lease either Eddie Wimberley killed 1200 coyotes in the sheep one year over one dog trick is use different sounds hand calling or e callers make the sounds make sense and tale a story sometimes it works but use all your tools don’t get hung up on one thing someone on here said don’t be the red dot and that’s a good idea but sometimes you’ve got to stand out and be different with your sets sometimes making a mess makes a coyote really screw up hope this helps

Last edited by TravC; 02/23/14 05:14 PM.

There i said it....
Re: *** Coyote Wars ! *** [Re: LT GREY] #4333367
02/23/14 08:54 AM
02/23/14 08:54 AM
western mn
B
bucksnbears Offline
trapper
bucksnbears  Offline
trapper
B

western mn
that was a hard read TravC crazy

swampgas chili and schmidt beer makes for a deadly combo

You have to remember that 1 out of 3 Democratic Voters is just as dumb as the other two.
Re: *** Coyote Wars ! *** [Re: bucksnbears] #4334175
02/23/14 05:15 PM
02/23/14 05:15 PM
South Dakota
T
TravC Offline
"MCnasty"
TravC  Offline
"MCnasty"
T

South Dakota
Originally Posted By: bucksnbears

i tryed to edit it up and make it so you could read it im not good at the typeing to well i hope you can read it if not i just wont post anymore ill do like alot of guys have told me let people buy the information instead of giveing it away for free
good luck

There i said it....
Re: *** Coyote Wars ! *** [Re: TravC] #4334193
02/23/14 05:22 PM
02/23/14 05:22 PM
Oklahoma
sparkyd Offline
trapper
sparkyd  Offline
trapper

Oklahoma
Originally Posted By: TravC

i tryed to edit it up and make it so you could read it im not good at the typeing to well i hope you can read it if not i just wont post anymore ill do like alot of guys have told me let people buy the information instead of giveing it away for free
good luck

I understood just fine. But then again I'm dyslexic. laugh

Re: *** Coyote Wars ! *** [Re: LT GREY] #4334211
02/23/14 05:27 PM
02/23/14 05:27 PM
South Dakota
T
TravC Offline
"MCnasty"
TravC  Offline
"MCnasty"
T

South Dakota
me to man dyslexics UNTIE!

There i said it....
Re: *** Coyote Wars ! *** [Re: LT GREY] #4334226
02/23/14 05:31 PM
02/23/14 05:31 PM
Manitoba, Canada
Ed the hunter Offline
trapper
Ed the hunter  Offline
trapper

Manitoba, Canada
Not everyone is good at typing. Type it like you would say it and we will do our best to understand it. Most of us can figure it out and we are happy to learn from anyone that is willing to share with us. Don't stop.

Re: *** Coyote Wars ! *** [Re: bucksnbears] #4334390
02/23/14 07:01 PM
02/23/14 07:01 PM
New York
P
ponyboy Offline
trapper
ponyboy  Offline
trapper
P

New York