ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Squirrel behavior #4280539
01/30/14 08:06 PM
01/30/14 08:06 PM
AR
22mag Offline OP
trapper
22mag  Offline OP
trapper

AR
Got a customer with squirrels, that much i know for sure. Customer hears a bad noise about 7-8 days ago right before i got called that sounded like a "fight." Since then, theyve heard them run through the attic on two occasions but she hasn't responded to bait at all. I set it up for a force w/out the trap just waiting on customer to call when they hear her again per our agreement. Now, nothings going on- not hearing anything. All is quiet. It's birthing season or really close. What could be happening now that all is quiet?

Jason Turner
Wildlife Removal, Etc.
www.facebook.com/WildlifeRemovalEtc
Re: Squirrel behavior [Re: 22mag] #4289956
02/04/14 12:38 AM
02/04/14 12:38 AM
Monroeville NJ
J
Jonesie Offline
trapper
Jonesie  Offline
trapper
J

Monroeville NJ
One of the biggest helps I get is from the customers without them knowing it. When A customer tells me that they have been hearing a squirrel running around, then one day there is a lot of noise, fast running, noise in places that they normally do not hear the squirrel, frantic running and so on. Then, they tell me, that the noise has stopped, and they think the squirrel has left. That is a good sign that the female has dropped her young. If the customer tells me that a few days ago the squirrel put a quarter to half dollar size hole in the ceiling, before all this took place, I am 90 % sure that she has dropped. I will tape the entry to see if there is activity, it seems that the female will hole up for a day to a few days nursing the pups. if she does leave them she is fast. food is the last thing on her mind the first day or so. also she will avoid a lot of stuff that may make her uneasy. also if I catch a female that is really banging her self up in the trap really rubbed nose and forehead down to the meat, then 9 out of 10 times she has young in there. check her good for nursing. remember when pups are only a day or so old, she will not show a lot of milk. most of the time the hair is only parted in a circle away from the nipples. also after a few day of nursing the nipples may look black if she has been in the trap for any amount of time. I think it has something to do with the blood and bruising may be wrong on that. also another sign is the hair in the front leg pits and sides will be gone. this only seems to happen in the colder first time frame for dropping. I don't see it to often in the June brithing phase

Ron Jones
http://www.acpwildlifepro.net/
Rednecks Pride Game Calls / Outdoor Scents
Rednecks Pride Outdoors podcast
Friend me on FaceBook
Re: Squirrel behavior [Re: 22mag] #4291603
02/04/14 06:58 PM
02/04/14 06:58 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
Now I know that many of you catch a lot of squirrels every year like we do. And I know that after reading the above post, you realize that everything that was stated was very true.

Here's the problem: The only person who can say this and make sense, either written or oral, is Jonesie. And for this we are all very thankful!

Re: Squirrel behavior [Re: 22mag] #4292013
02/04/14 09:24 PM
02/04/14 09:24 PM
Monroeville NJ
J
Jonesie Offline
trapper
Jonesie  Offline
trapper
J

Monroeville NJ
Thanks Paul. Hey do you remember who owned the office in kalamazoo back in the early 90's

Ron Jones
Friend me on FaceBook
Re: Squirrel behavior [Re: 22mag] #4292799
02/05/14 01:07 AM
02/05/14 01:07 AM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
Not right off hand but I betcha a quick phone call to Krier and I'd have the answer.

Re: Squirrel behavior [Re: 22mag] #4294943
02/06/14 01:06 AM
02/06/14 01:06 AM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
Jonesie, Al said it was probably Jim Burns and that the two of you left CC at about the same time. I haven't seen Jim in like forever. I don't even know if he's in the business anymore. We really hit it off when we met in Vegas.

Re: Squirrel behavior [Re: 22mag] #4296731
02/06/14 09:18 PM
02/06/14 09:18 PM
Monroeville NJ
J
Jonesie Offline
trapper
Jonesie  Offline
trapper
J

Monroeville NJ
yeah I kept up with him for a few years after. the 2 year thing was hard. I wanted to get back in touch with him but for the life of me I could not remember his name LOL old age or something I guess. Tell Al thanks and hope to see him at the wct. a lot of old times talk there LOL

Ron Jones
Friend me on FaceBook
Re: Squirrel behavior [Re: 22mag] #4297525
02/07/14 07:23 AM
02/07/14 07:23 AM
rhode island
R
ritrapper Offline
trapper