ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Great Snowy owl migration #4248368
01/16/14 01:40 AM
01/16/14 01:40 AM
south east michigan
P
Peskycritter Offline OP
trapper
Peskycritter  Offline OP
trapper
P

south east michigan
I must admit thought I was seeing things when the first snowy owl saled by my deer stand and had no idea I was about to see the once in a life time great migration last one being 1947 .
Today I seen and videod my first pair together .
Its hard to say how many I've seen but greatful for every one they seem to be setting up territory in hundred yard grids and so fare only coyotes seem to be able to cross these lines in the snowy even the hawks and eagles have left the area this year but there was a seagull the other day we watch get nailed very kool

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9T-py2XHeU&feature=youtube_gdata_player

htt:// www.critterremovalmi.net
Free Trapper
Re: Great Snowy owl migration [Re: Peskycritter] #4248644
01/16/14 09:10 AM
01/16/14 09:10 AM
Tug Hill, New York
A
Albert Burns Offline
trapper
Albert Burns  Offline
trapper
A

Tug Hill, New York
There is a large open area near my home called the mucklands, a couple thousand acres of jet black ,fertile flat farmland. One two lane road goes through it, and my kids kept telling me about a Snowy Owl that was hanging out in that area they were seeing on the school bus ride. We went out looking for it a couple days ago and spotted it on a telephone pole, about a hundred yards away. It was the first one I had ever seen, and the first thing noticed was how large it was, a couple times bigger and bulkier than any Red Tailed Hawk we had seen. Pretty impressive bird.

Re: Great Snowy owl migration [Re: Peskycritter] #4261492
01/22/14 11:05 AM
01/22/14 11:05 AM
Allegheny Co. Pa.
H
Hector5 Offline
trapper
Hector5  Offline
trapper
H

Allegheny Co. Pa.
One showed up at the Greater Pittsburgh Airport this past week. About 15 years ago, I had a Hawk Owl hanging around one of the swamps I was trapping muskrats at. I reported it to this bird guy that used to be on the radio. He said I was mistaken. But I know what I saw and I saw it 3 times.

Re: Great Snowy owl migration [Re: Peskycritter] #4261855
01/22/14 02:39 PM
01/22/14 02:39 PM
Central Michigan
jgrimm Offline
trapper
jgrimm  Offline
trapper

Central Michigan
Workers at the Gerald R Ford airport shot 9 of them so far this year.

http://www.woodtv.com/news/local/grand-rapids/snowy-owls-shot-at-ford-airport

Re: Great Snowy owl migration [Re: Peskycritter] #4276724
01/28/14 11:56 PM
01/28/14 11:56 PM
Virginia
52Carl Offline
trapper
52Carl  Offline
trapper

Virginia
Originally Posted By: Peskycritter
I must admit thought I was seeing things when the first snowy owl saled by my deer stand and had no idea I was about to see the once in a life time great migration last one being 1947 .
Today I seen and videod my first pair together .
Its hard to say how many I've seen but greatful for every one they seem to be setting up territory in hundred yard grids and so fare only coyotes seem to be able to cross these lines in the snowy even the hawks and eagles have left the area this year but there was a seagull the other day we watch get nailed very kool

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9T-py2XHeU&feature=youtube_gdata_player

The 2 snowy owls are likely not a pair, as the ones that are migrating south are young of the year and are identified as such by the large amount of dark coloring (as observed in your video). The adults (nearly all white) tend to stay home. The large numbers of migrating immature snowy owls would indicate to me that they had a very successful breeding season.

Re: Great Snowy owl migration [Re: Peskycritter] #4277177
01/29/14 10:18 AM
01/29/14 10:18 AM
Tug Hill, New York
A
Albert Burns Offline
trapper
Albert Burns  Offline
trapper
A

Tug Hill, New York
We have been watching the same one for a month now, and were told the same thing about it being a juvenile. It does have quite a bit of brown on it. I was talking to a lady that is a rehabilitator for Raptors, and she also explained they had an abundance of food up north last year, and they had an excellent breeding season, which is why we are seeing them.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread