ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
New to ADC #4170309
12/12/13 01:16 AM
12/12/13 01:16 AM
Kansas
J
jimeswa Offline OP
trapper
jimeswa  Offline OP
trapper
J

Kansas
I just passed my test for ADC and I am lost as how do you make any money at this. I have 3 large businesses that have pigeon problems and there employees have spoke to me about pitching the management a control measure. I know that one also has a raccoon problem as it is a grain elevator and if the job is secured it could be numerous grain elevators. I don't know how to go about charging these companies. I think a consultation fee and then a removal fee if they accept the trapping. I know my job will be more in identifying there issue(s) and informing them of the potential fix they can put in place. To be honest I don't think the places will never be rid of the birds and so I just don't know what to do for a charge list or contract for the places. I have had several people point out other potential customers and ask what is going to be the charge. Any help would be great.

You can't beat a dumb dog smart.
Re: New to ADC [Re: jimeswa] #4170341
12/12/13 01:48 AM
12/12/13 01:48 AM
Mt. Olive, IL
R
Ron Scheller Offline
trapper
Ron Scheller  Offline
trapper
R

Mt. Olive, IL
The best advice I can share would be NOT to approach any big commercial jobs until you have experience in dealing with the type of problems they have. The worst thing you can do for a new business is get into a project that is way over your head (experience level) and end up failing miserably in the effort to solve the problem.

Start on small scale problems and work up to the point you can approach the larger accounts with confidence. You stated that you don't think they will ever be rid of the birds.... so if you don't think the problem can be solved, why would you want to approach them? Just trying to prevent you from stepping into a sinkhole right off the bat in your new business.

If you are not at the point where you have worked out your pricing structure ( "I am lost as how do you make any money at this" ) the biggest mistake you could ever make is attempting to land a large commercial contract.

Without knowing what type of businesses or structures, it's hard to suggest a solution. However, trapping is a never-ending process. I've done some really big bird control jobs, and netting (or other barriers) is the best method IF the structure design allows.

Visit some of the bird control product websites (Bird-B-Gone, Bird Barrier, etc) and you'll get some ideas on what type of products are out there.

Ron Scheller

Re: New to ADC [Re: jimeswa] #4170350
12/12/13 02:12 AM
12/12/13 02:12 AM
Los Angeles, CA
NateSmith Offline
trapper
NateSmith  Offline
trapper

Los Angeles, CA
FWIW, if you've got iTunes, check out Robb's podcasts, the wildlife pro network.... you'll learn a BUNCH from listening to those (plus it's a good way to make your "windshield time" worth it)

Don't hesitate to call/PM/etc others here as well.

Call the folks at Bird-B-Gone.... they offer a class (I believe) and are very helpful.

Re: New to ADC [Re: jimeswa] #4170372
12/12/13 03:02 AM
12/12/13 03:02 AM
Kansas
J
jimeswa Offline OP
trapper
jimeswa  Offline OP
trapper
J

Kansas
I used to work for the mill that makes flour and they have to lay in the pigeon poo to load a rail car. In Kansas we have a ton of grain elevators. Where I'm at we also have a hospital with a parking garage that has pigeon problems. Airgas delivers the medical gasses there medical tanks sit outside while waiting to be filled and delivered where they are getting bombed by the pigeons roosting on there roof or an adjacent abandoned grain elevator. I hate to pass a potential job when I have no other offers right now I understand the sink hole and never thought about it that way sink or swim off the first dive.

I think I'm OK with the trapping and different deterent I'm not in a huge community so my question is how do you price a job. By the bird/animal caught by the trap? By the day? By the decoy or anti roosting instruments/blocked entrance.

You can't beat a dumb dog smart.
Re: New to ADC [Re: jimeswa] #4170510
12/12/13 09:09 AM
12/12/13 09:09 AM
Lower Alabama (Daleville)
L
LAtrapper Offline
"Professor"
LAtrapper  Offline
"Professor"
L

Lower Alabama (Daleville)
Check PM.

Note to self- Engage brain before opening mouth (or hitting the ENTER key/SUBMIT button).

Ron Fry

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread