ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
I'll try and post up pictures tomorrow of this but #4140899
11/28/13 03:52 AM
11/28/13 03:52 AM
Los Angeles, CA
NateSmith Offline OP
trapper
NateSmith  Offline OP
trapper

Los Angeles, CA
I've been trying to catch some critters at this lady's house. She's got new sod in her front yard and SOMETHING has been grubbing just right around the edges. Not in the middle and not all over. Just right on the edges. I've tried just about every bait I can think of and am at a bit of a loss here. The lawn is NOT big at all. Maybe 10x10 in one spot and 10x20 on the other side of the sidewalk that runs through the middle of it. The house is RIGHT next to a school so the hours that I try to be there to set up and check traps are outside of school hours (to include walking to and from school......... am terrified of catching a stinker and having the thing spray some kid who's treating it badly just because it's in a cage.............. and yes the kids here in LA are that stupid)............

Any suggestions or thoughts? I'm leaning away from coons because there's not a LOT of damage and what little I see is just a little upturned dirt along the edges. I also don't see any prints ANYWHERE. My thoughts are that it's a skunk just grubbin' along the edge. I've heard that once a critter starts grubbin' it's utterly clueless about traps.

Re: I'll try and post up pictures tomorrow of this but [Re: NateSmith] #4141189
11/28/13 11:00 AM
11/28/13 11:00 AM
NWWA/AZ
Vinke Offline
trapper
Vinke  Offline
trapper

NWWA/AZ
how about a squirrel?

Slightly used Shoes 4 sale……………
Re: I'll try and post up pictures tomorrow of this but [Re: NateSmith] #4141471
11/28/13 01:27 PM
11/28/13 01:27 PM
Los Angeles, CA
NateSmith Offline OP
trapper
NateSmith  Offline OP
trapper

Los Angeles, CA
That's something I hadn't thought of. I did remove a skunk this morning. Put some wet cat food in the back of the cage and got a text from the folks this morning that a skunk was in there. smile We'll see if that takes care of the problem.

What would a squirrel do digging in the sod? Bury nuts? There's one oak tree next door but I haven't seen any squirrels there (been lookin' too).

Re: I'll try and post up pictures tomorrow of this but [Re: NateSmith] #4142424
11/28/13 10:12 PM
11/28/13 10:12 PM
Washington State
P
peacekeeper Offline
trapper
peacekeeper  Offline
trapper
P

Washington State
Even if they aren't burying nuts themselves, squirrels will usually check out any freshly turned soil in their territory to see if they can steal an easy meal buried by some other animal.

Re: I'll try and post up pictures tomorrow of this but [Re: NateSmith] #4151332
12/03/13 08:24 PM
12/03/13 08:24 PM
North Georgia
T
thomasb25 Offline
trapper
thomasb25  Offline
trapper
T

North Georgia
It sounds like skunks to me

http://www.speedywildliferemoval.com

Speedy Wildlife Removal serving Gainesville and all north Ga
Re: I'll try and post up pictures tomorrow of this but [Re: NateSmith] #4151447
12/03/13 09:18 PM
12/03/13 09:18 PM
Los Angeles, CA
NateSmith Offline OP
trapper
NateSmith  Offline OP
trapper

Los Angeles, CA
That's what I was thinking, but this is JUST around the edge and only 1 or 2 spots. I'm about to buy a trail cam just to put there and see what all is making the damage.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread