ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Dealing with educated rats any tips ? #4106139
11/10/13 12:45 AM
11/10/13 12:45 AM
Tama country IA
1st RiverRat Offline OP
trapper
1st RiverRat  Offline OP
trapper

Tama country IA
The cages are coming out any special tips for dealing with smart ones ?

Adam Utterback
Re: Dealing with educated rats any tips ? [Re: 1st RiverRat] #4106900
11/10/13 05:12 PM
11/10/13 05:12 PM
West Virginia
The Trapster Offline
trapper
The Trapster  Offline
trapper

West Virginia
Rats are wary and dont take to new things easily.I have laid out snap traps baited and unset before to let them get their confidence up then set them and set them heavy same as you would for muskrat or beaver hit them hard and fast seems to work for me anyways.

Member of NTA,WVTA Lifetime
Re: Dealing with educated rats any tips ? [Re: 1st RiverRat] #4106925
11/10/13 05:21 PM
11/10/13 05:21 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
Trapster ain't wrong. If a rat recently got into the house, you can nail them quickly. If they've been there a while, they know more about the house than the owners.

Re: Dealing with educated rats any tips ? [Re: 1st RiverRat] #4106950
11/10/13 05:49 PM
11/10/13 05:49 PM
Georgia
K
Kirk De Offline
trapper
Kirk De  Offline
trapper
K

Georgia
You might want to descent the trap from one catch to the other. Maybe soak or place the trap in something they are into or eating. Here, it might be grain dust.

The Real Reasons Animals Are Detecting Your Sets And Devices by Kirk Dekalb
https://amzn.to/2Hn1hxv
Re: Dealing with educated rats any tips ? [Re: 1st RiverRat] #4109689
11/11/13 11:14 PM
11/11/13 11:14 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
It's been one of those days, so one last thought about educated rats; vote them out of office the next time.

P.S. On a little more serious note, our rat expert set up a job today at a tavern. If I can offer any tips, I will.

Re: Dealing with educated rats any tips ? [Re: 1st RiverRat] #4113202
11/13/13 05:39 PM
11/13/13 05:39 PM
Virginia
U
USNret Offline
trapper
USNret  Offline
trapper
U

Virginia
Adam, is this an attic dwelling rat? I've had a few smart ones that I had to take extra measures to fool, and others that just needed to be starved out. I used clean, unbaited traps (woodstream's pro model with the big yellow trigger)and covered them with insulation, set right in their trails, like a blind trail set for fox or coyotes. With cellulose it's easy to completely hide the trap. I even remade the depression from the trail right over the trigger. Loosefill fiberglass is a bit tougher, but you can still blend it in. Just don't overdo it or you'll have too much insulation between the kill bar and board when it slams shut. You're using gloves while setting traps, right?
Most of our rat trapping is done after the building is completely sealed and interior food sources secured, so we've cut them off from their food supply inside and out, making it easier to get them to a baited trap. If they're smart to one style of trap then change to a different style and change up your bait at the same time so they don't associate the new trap with the old trap.
We had a commercial job that required 3 days of external sealing and 5 days for interior restoration. We removed/replaced every ceiling tile and all insulation in 9000+sqft office building because everything was covered with rat feces and urine. We had the client remove all food sources and move the company's operation to a different building. The rats, over 100 of them, hadn't had a good meal in 3 or 4 days when we started setting traps. We would watch them run to baited traps to get food, three times catching two at a time. We removed 99% of the rats during the restoration phase. However, I had one old male that somehow managed to stick around for about two weeks without getting caught, He finally succumbed to Kirk's Dark Magic and WCS's Squirrel NB. On a promotional note, WCS now sells the Squirrel NB in a caulk tube type dispenser. You can bait a dozen traps in about 12 seconds. Quick and mess free baiting.

Re: Dealing with educated rats any tips ? [Re: 1st RiverRat] #4118101
11/16/13 03:25 PM
11/16/13 03:25 PM
Tama country IA
1st RiverRat Offline OP
trapper
1st RiverRat  Offline OP
trapper

Tama country IA
Pest company killed the 99 % with tracking powder and educated them with snap traps. I have been pre baiting smaller cages with the doors wired up for past few days. It started out as a main floor problem but since food and water sources have been pulled since I started the job the bugger has started chewing up the attic. Yes I wear gloves when ever setting rat traps. In my opinion they are one of the most intelligent critters I deal with.

Adam Utterback
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread