ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Very close call today.... #4102461
11/07/13 11:55 PM
11/07/13 11:55 PM
mn
michael_obrien Offline OP
trapper
michael_obrien  Offline OP
trapper

mn
Careful out there fellas. today I had a ladder mishap that could've been real trouble for me, but all I ended up with was a light ankle sprain, some bruised ribs, and a seriously bruised ego!

so I went up on the 1st level roof, then up 8' on an extendable ladder working on a gap around where the chimney entered the 3rd level soffit. I had the extendable ladder unsecured, meaning no toe board, which in hindsight was obviously dumb. it wasn't that steep so I wasn't concerned about it, but should've been. the rubber feet on the ladder tore free and down I went like a rock! bounced off the roof and started a short slide but stopped within a foot or so, as I said it wasn't that steep. landed straight on top the ladder and I immediately "knew" my left ankle was broken and thought my left upper leg could've been broken as well. also knocked the wind out of me for a few seconds.

I rolled onto my back and started going over my body and soon realized there was nothing life threatening, but also was wondering how I was going to get off the roof. all the while, my dad is right below me, but is now up the first ladder in case I need help. in about 30 seconds I realized my leg wasn't broken and thought my ankle was only sprained, which it was.

it was a close call, and another learning lesson. I only hope my body can hold up to anymore future lessons....

careful out there fellas!

michael

women like me because I rarely wear underwear, and when I do it's usually unusual.
Re: Very close call today.... [Re: michael_obrien] #4102652
11/08/13 01:51 AM
11/08/13 01:51 AM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
Sounds like you did exactly what I would have and ended up the same way I would have too. I should probably teach a seminar class called "Learning How To Fall Properly" but I don't think I could get OSHA approval.

Re: Very close call today.... [Re: michael_obrien] #4104929
11/09/13 12:37 PM
11/09/13 12:37 PM
Finger Lakes Region, NY
Nic Pallo Offline
trapper
Nic Pallo  Offline
trapper

Finger Lakes Region, NY
I took a dive 2 weeks ago stepping off the ladder onto the garage roof.
Ladder feet slipped out back and down i went, crashed hard.
Xrays came back good but man that sucked!

Last edited by Nic Pallo; 11/09/13 12:38 PM.
Re: Very close call today.... [Re: michael_obrien] #4105008
11/09/13 02:04 PM
11/09/13 02:04 PM
rhode island
R
ritrapper Offline
trapper
ritrapper  Offline
trapper
R

rhode island
Well its been about 9 months since I had my fall. After two surgeries on my wrist, pins and screws, it still sucks but i have to deal with it. Overcome and Adapt! I have about 50 percent of my strength back and it hurts often. The first job I did when i got back to it was an exclusion on 3rd floor dormers, I was on the roof shaking like a little girl. I yelled down to the customer (jokingly), youre going to have to call the fire dept to get me down. I had to tell myself to suck it up. After 4 or 5 times up on that roof i was better, but it is and probably will always be in the back of my mind. I use a harness much more than i used to, and just more aware of my surroundings and possible hazards

Steve Rouleau
New England Wildlife

http://newildlifesolutions.com/
401-330-8168

Re: Very close call today.... [Re: michael_obrien] #4105140
11/09/13 04:27 PM
11/09/13 04:27 PM
southern Minnesota
BUD25 Offline
trapper
BUD25  Offline
trapper

southern Minnesota
Don't skip safety precautions.... Ever

Bud's Nuisance Wildlife Removal LLC
www.budstrapco.com
www.trappinmoles.com
Re: Very close call today.... [Re: michael_obrien] #4105618
11/09/13 08:50 PM
11/09/13 08:50 PM
Virginia
U
USNret Offline
trapper
USNret  Offline
trapper
U

Virginia
Originally Posted By: michael_obrien
Careful out there fellas. today I had a ladder mishap that could've been real trouble for me, but all I ended up with was a light ankle sprain, some bruised ribs, and a seriously bruised ego!

so I went up on the 1st level roof, then up 8' on an extendable ladder working on a gap around where the chimney entered the 3rd level soffit. I had the extendable ladder unsecured, meaning no toe board, which in hindsight was obviously dumb. it wasn't that steep so I wasn't concerned about it, but should've been. the rubber feet on the ladder tore free and down I went like a rock! bounced off the roof and started a short slide but stopped within a foot or so, as I said it wasn't that steep. landed straight on top the ladder and I immediately "knew" my left ankle was broken and thought my left upper leg could've been broken as well. also knocked the wind out of me for a few seconds.

I rolled onto my back and started going over my body and soon realized there was nothing life threatening, but also was wondering how I was going to get off the roof. all the while, my dad is right below me, but is now up the first ladder in case I need help. in about 30 seconds I realized my leg wasn't broken and thought my ankle was only sprained, which it was.

it was a close call, and another learning lesson. I only hope my body can hold up to anymore future lessons....

careful out there fellas!

michael
Exact same scenario for me. Extendable ladder, not a steep angle on the lean, so no toe board, feet slipped out on the steel 1st floor roof. Broke my wrist. I was just careful before, now I'm paranoid careful.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread