ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
coon trap preferenc? #4102317
11/07/13 11:02 PM
11/07/13 11:02 PM
North Dakota
S
Swift Arrow Offline OP
trapper
Swift Arrow  Offline OP
trapper
S

North Dakota
I'm finally ready to rock and role. It only took me 8 months of fighting with our state DWR, county, and city but I'm fooly "LOL" licensed and ready to operate.
Coons are starting to become prominent in my area, just wondering which cage traps hold up best, the ten I started with are completely dead after 3 to 4 coons.
I'm going to get 20/25 more and want to get my money worth out of them. I would rather pay more for those that would hold up.
Any advice would be appreciated!!!!!!!

Swift Arrow
A+ ANIMAL CONTROL
Trophies shouldn't be judged by the size of antlers on the wall, but the size of the smile when the memory is recalled!
Re: coon trap preferenc? [Re: Swift Arrow] #4102425
11/07/13 11:39 PM
11/07/13 11:39 PM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
www.advancedtrap.com

The best bar none! The only coon sized cage I own.

[Linked Image]
Re: coon trap preferenc? [Re: Swift Arrow] #4102439
11/07/13 11:44 PM
11/07/13 11:44 PM
North Dakota
S
Swift Arrow Offline OP
trapper
Swift Arrow  Offline OP
trapper
S

North Dakota
I have watched his videos and they look good, just haven't talked to anyone who has used them. thanks for the info warrior....

Swift Arrow
A+ ANIMAL CONTROL
Trophies shouldn't be judged by the size of antlers on the wall, but the size of the smile when the memory is recalled!
Re: coon trap preferenc? [Re: Swift Arrow] #4102656
11/08/13 01:57 AM
11/08/13 01:57 AM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
David, it looks to me like all of them will hold coon. Which one do you use?

Re: coon trap preferenc? [Re: Swift Arrow] #4102777
11/08/13 07:31 AM
11/08/13 07:31 AM
Ohio
Holt Offline
trapper
Holt  Offline
trapper

Ohio
Tomahawk Pro-model traps. Will hold coons but even more importantly will stand up to abuse from techs, yourself and the bumps and knocks they will pick up while in use. Pan retention system is first rate as well as strength of trigger rods. Have yet to perform any repair on one!!! And if you want the spring assisted doors they have Comstock. Speaking of Comstock traps I bought four of their new pan less squirrel traps here at the WCT and they look slick! I would also like to say that Greg, Jenny, Kyle and the whole "Tomahawk family" has been a pleasure to work with, never had an issue with orders, and they support the industry by attending trade shows, donating product for raffles and much more.

Re: coon trap preferenc? [Re: Swift Arrow] #4102785
11/08/13 07:44 AM
11/08/13 07:44 AM
NH
S
sgs Offline
trapper
sgs  Offline
trapper
S

NH
I use Tomahawk Pro and Safeguard Pro models for cages that use pan/treadle triggering and Comstock and Advance for wire trigger traps.

They all get the job done well.

Re: coon trap preferenc? [Re: Swift Arrow] #4102837
11/08/13 08:33 AM
11/08/13 08:33 AM
Waterford, WI
N
Nathan Krause Offline
trapper
Nathan Krause  Offline
trapper
N

Waterford, WI
I bought 20 Tomahawks this past year and while the structure is sound all the handles and clips are gone. Lost a handle and clip that holds release door with first catch in it.

I will probably buy more because I like to support Wisconsin companies...but I love my advanced trap raccoon multicatch and my safeguard looks the same as the day I bought it.

Re: coon trap preferenc? [Re: Swift Arrow] #4103040
11/08/13 11:08 AM
11/08/13 11:08 AM
NH
S
sgs Offline
trapper
sgs  Offline
trapper
S

NH
Originally Posted By: Trapping By Nate
...my safeguard looks the same as the day I bought it.

I've noticed that. I have Safeguards that are 5 years old and still look brand new. I wonder how they do that.

Re: coon trap preferenc? [Re: Swift Arrow] #4103126
11/08/13 11:57 AM
11/08/13 11:57 AM
Waterford, WI
N
Nathan Krause Offline
trapper
Nathan Krause  Offline
trapper
N

Waterford, WI
I also really like the way the release door works on my safeguards. Much better than the clips on Tomahawk.

Re: coon trap preferenc? [Re: Swift Arrow] #4103205
11/08/13 12:48 PM
11/08/13 12:48 PM
NH
S
sgs Offline
trapper
sgs  Offline
trapper
S

NH
Nate, I agree wholeheartedly. The rear release door was a big selling point for me.

On a "wish list" kind of thing, I wish Safeguard would beef up the springs on the doors. That would make for an excellent trap.

Re: coon trap preferenc? [Re: Swift Arrow] #4103359
11/08/13 02:37 PM
11/08/13 02:37 PM

D
DaveK
Unregistered
DaveK
Unregistered
D

Comstock custom traps.

Re: coon trap preferenc? [Re: ] #4103380
11/08/13 02:51 PM
11/08/13 02:51 PM
Waterford, WI
N
Nathan Krause Offline
trapper
Nathan Krause  Offline
trapper
N

Waterford, WI
Originally Posted By: DaveK
Comstock custom traps.

I like my Comstock for woodchucks but had way to many raccoons break out of it.

Re: coon trap preferenc? [Re: Swift Arrow] #4103418
11/08/13 03:15 PM
11/08/13 03:15 PM
somewhere in the middle of MT
D
DAVE SALYS-CWCP Offline
trapper
DAVE SALYS-CWCP  Offline
trapper
D

Nate I can't see a coon getting out of a Comstock. Those springs are so strong I sometimes have trouble setting the darn thing. Now as far T.hawks go they must have really changed in the last five years because they ones I have I only use for rabbits and skunks they are just one step above Harbor Freights and havajunks. Kirk and Jim's traps are fortresses and I like them both along with and you won't believe it but my original Miller Mfg Little Giants I bought twelve years ago. The only coon to ever get out of the Miller was one that pulled the lock bar back, I designed a positive lock for them so none escape now. I shouldn't have said that, I know what's going to happen next coon job. cry

Re: coon trap preferenc? [Re: DAVE SALYS-CWCP] #4103423
11/08/13 03:24 PM
11/08/13 03:24 PM
Waterford, WI
N
Nathan Krause Offline
trapper
Nathan Krause  Offline
trapper
N

Waterford, WI
Originally Posted By: DAVE SALYS-CWCP
Nate I can't see a coon getting out of a Comstock. Those springs are so strong I sometimes have trouble setting the darn thing.

In Jim's defense he did tell me that they had problems with the early traps and mine is a early addition. They sent some clips for me to install to help with that problem but when I went to install the clips I almost cut my finger off so decided to not try that again.

I do not have any of the newer Comstock traps but I have heard they are revamped and supposed to be great. I am looking forward to seeing some next time I take a trip up to Tomahawk Facility.

Re: coon trap preferenc? [Re: Swift Arrow] #4103447
11/08/13 03:38 PM
11/08/13 03:38 PM
D
DAVE SALYS-CWCP Offline
trapper
DAVE SALYS-CWCP  Offline
trapper
D

Funny, I was a bloody mess too by the time I got those clips installed. I think we should have sent Jim the emergency room bills.

Last edited by DAVE SALYS-CWCP; 11/08/13 03:46 PM.
Re: coon trap preferenc? [Re: Swift Arrow] #4103548
11/08/13 04:54 PM
11/08/13 04:54 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
Thanks guys, I think between the bunch of you I have at least one new column for WCT. I actually experienced everything you guys said and came up with a cure. ( And it ain't just bandages )

I think that I should also mention that I have a small tear in my eye. Somebody named Holt, a few posts back, printed a paragraph that would have been something that I would have printed, nearly word for word, had he not beaten me to it. ( This sudden NWCOA/WCT thing is mystifying, but great! )

Re: coon trap preferenc? [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #4103931
11/08/13 08:36 PM
11/08/13 08:36 PM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
Originally Posted By: Paul Winkelmann
David, it looks to me like all of them will hold coon. Which one do you use?

I use them all. I got more of his universal models than anything else. My preference is the two door model with a guillotine on one end and a spring door on the other. Reason I can check from a distance if need be plus the guillotine is much easier as a bait/release door. I also have several of his standard double spring door. The multi catch is the shizzle when dealing with cats or mama coon and kittens, many doubles with that one. I even put his tube beaver trap into use for coon, cats and dillers. Plus a few prototypes such as one of his single door ring locking. I've even used the square beaver for dry land critters.

[Linked Image]
Re: coon trap preferenc? [Re: Swift Arrow] #4106204
11/10/13 02:11 AM
11/10/13 02:11 AM
Western Montana
A
ADCofWMt Offline
trapper
ADCofWMt  Offline
trapper
A

Western Montana
My experience with the Tomahawk trap company this summer left a very bad taste in my mouth. Not too sure I will deal with them again. The quality of trap I got from them was fine. But the customer service was pathetic.

Just because something is legal doesn't make it smart.
Re: coon trap preferenc? [Re: Swift Arrow] #4106426
11/10/13 10:12 AM
11/10/13 10:12 AM
OH
Eric Arnold Offline
trapper
Eric Arnold  Offline
trapper

OH
The best thing to do is purchase 1 or 2 traps from each manufacturer and see what works best for your style and usage. Safeguard and Tomahawk both have entry level and professional level models and there is a big difference between the two. I have a entry level raccoon sized Tomahawk that I wouldn't consider standing on, while I wouldn't think twice about using the professional model. Heck, I've even stood on a professional model squirrel trap from Tomahawk without doing any damage to it (and I'm not a skinny guy like Dirk).

Look for 16 ga or smaller 1/2 x 1 1/2 wire and stay away from most of the 1 x 1. While a raccoon will have issues damaging 12 ga 1 x 1 wire, it still has about an 8 inch reach outside the trap allowing it to pull whatever it can get its paws on in or scratching up roofs and walls. To stop this you need to make sure the coon cannot reach anything. So plan to install wire around the outside of the trap or place it on a board they cannot reach past. Make sure you have the strength to set the trap as the spring strength is the number one complaint I hear about with the Comstock traps (I only have the beaver model until my raccoon one gets returned to the operator I lent it too to do a write-up on it).

Try both gravity and spring loaded doors. Gravity doors are generally cheaper but if you're setting on inclines (like roofs) they may not close all the way as quick as you need. Release doors are nice if you're using transport cages, but not a feature needed if you are taking the trap back with you to dispatch the catch each time.

Look at how you open the door when releasing a caught animal so you don't get bit or how you need to prop the door open to insert an animal on the end of a snare pole. Some models have handles on the doors and/or locks that need released while some don't. Take some time and figure out your trapping style. Some traps work better as baited sets while others work better as blind sets.

Finally, look at your budget. Williams makes a great gravity door trap that costs about 1/2 of the others professional series, but it is made out of 1 x 1 wire. So you may want to do something like buy 2 Williams (or any other manufacture) and then buy 1 of the others (Advance trap, Comstock, Safeguard Professional, Tomahawk Professional, etc). This method lets you build the trap base you want while make it more affordable.

Lastly, remember that no matter what you buy, keep in mind that if the trap gets run over because you forgot where it was or to secure it on the truck, it won't matter who made it. The same can be said for most times a trap comes off a roof. Keep a watch on WCT Magazine for an upcoming article and training video on this subject.

Eric Arnold
Publishing Editor W.C.T. Magazine
Editor The Fur Taker Magazine
Re: coon trap preferenc? [Re: DAVE SALYS-CWCP] #4106534
11/10/13 11:46 AM
11/10/13 11:46 AM
SW Missouri
M
Mike K. Offline
trapper
Mike K.  Offline
trapper
M

SW Missouri
Hey Dave, I agree with you on the Miller traps. I use them on groundhogs, dillos and coons and have never had any escape. The only thing I did to them was added more clips on the back side where other brands of traps have failed. The pan is thick as well and none have ever bent. Good trap for the price.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread