General Trapping Archive

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Catalog~

Print Thread
Hop To
Some tips for getting permission to hunt/fish/trap #4070596
10/23/13 08:53 PM
10/23/13 08:53 PM
Weber River Valley of Utah
TVacao Offline OP
trapper
TVacao  Offline OP
trapper

Weber River Valley of Utah
I see a lot of people asking about right of ways on roads and getting permission to hunt/fish/trap so I thought I would put together some tips and advice to those of you who are starting out or for those of us who have been doing it a while maybe a new idea or two. After spending all of the years of my life chasing birds, fish, and game I have developed a system from a lot of trial and error on getting permission to hunt, fish, and trap on private land. While not fool proof or always perfect it helped me get permission on 8 of 9 turkey spots this spring, 2k acres in prime WI whitetail country, and a lot of smaller areas for bird hunting and trapping.

There is a lot of advice on the web but here are the parts I think are most important.
• Do not be over dressed or under dressed. I once had to stay in the truck because I forgot my camo pants and only had my cuffed Dockers khakis after getting off work. Not the best outfit for asking a farmer if you can hunt. You do not want to be a city slicker even if you are one, and you also do not want to be a slob.
• Appearance also applies to your vehicle and those with you. Keep your music turned down and understand things like not pulling into a farm in SD or ND with WI or MN plates…take your friends truck. I drive a Subaru Outback with WI plates…has cost me a couple places to hunt.
• DO NOT ASSUME! When a woman opens the door don’t ask to talk to the husband. Just introduce yourself and ask if 1: they are the owners of the land, and 2: who do you need to ask for permission. If it is them they will tell you.
• Be honest and let them know why you are there. Most farmers are not fans of turkeys and raccoons. If you hunt/trap them in year 1 it can open doors to other animals once you have their trust.
• Thank them whether you get permission or not. Either way always ask them if they know of anyone who is having a raccoon problem or fed up with gobbling turkeys…You may get a reference for a great area from someone who turned you down.

Once you have permission to hunt/fish/trap the land:
• Make sure you have documentation if required by the state. Also be considerate of the landowner and ask in advance where you can drive, park, and/or which areas you can access. Follow their rules and always leave gates as you find them. When in doubt ask!
• Offer to help if you can. Don’t pretend to know how to dock sheep or brand cattle. If you don’t know but are willing to help still means a lot to some.
• Don’t be quick to leave the front porch and never come back. Some people are lonely and want to talk. I missed a couple nights in the stand last fall because the ladies’ property I was bow hunting wanted to chat. I missed the deer moving into the alfalfa those nights but I did get dinner!
• Follow up with landowners after the hunts or let them know what you saw. Many farmers/landowners are proud to have lots of game on their land and they enjoy the stories but know your audience.

This is the one I feel is the most important and has led to good relationships and friendships for me over the years.
• Take every person who gives you permission to be on their land a Christmas card and/or small gift. On some of my leases we would give the farmers $100 worth of pork, some a card and some Christmas candy, and some just a plate of cookies. Do this even if you don’t use that piece of land this year and you will lock it in for years to come. I will never forget the time I asked to hunt on a piece of land for turkeys for the second year (yes I ask every year) and found out the farmer had passed away. I told his wife I was sorry and asked if there was anything I could do. She said no but thanked me for offering. She then said her son would be running the farm and that no one would be hunting it except family. I thanked her and started to leave when she asked, “Are you the one who gave us the card and container of caramel corn for Christmas?” When I said “Yes” she replied she would let her son know I would be turkey hunting there this year and thanked me for being thoughtful.

In conclusion, follow the advice of my Father growing up…”The answer is always NO before you ask.” At the time I was trying to build up courage to ask a girl out but have applied it to many areas of my life and now have no fear whatsoever in talking to people and finding places to hunt/fish/trap. I hope this gave you some ideas and helps you find some new areas.
Travis

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”A. Einstein
Re: Some tips for getting permission to hunt/fish/trap [Re: TVacao] #4070628
10/23/13 08:59 PM
10/23/13 08:59 PM
Milwaukee, WI
D
Deuce Offline
trapper
Deuce  Offline
trapper
D

Milwaukee, WI
Great advice! I just received my first piece of property to trap and plan on taking good care of this farmer. I just moved and have to start over building my network. Hopefully it leads to more relationships as well.

Re: Some tips for getting permission to hunt/fish/trap [Re: TVacao] #4070662
10/23/13 09:08 PM
10/23/13 09:08 PM
Clio,Michigan 33 yrs. old
T
travelintinner Offline
trapper
travelintinner  Offline
trapper
T

Clio,Michigan 33 yrs. old
Best thing to do is act arrogant and cuss a lot also don't be afraid to act as though you own the place. Farmers love that

ANFN http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iqnMrynpq9U none are more hopelessly enslaved then those who believe they are free!
Re: Some tips for getting permission to hunt/fish/trap [Re: TVacao] #4070691
10/23/13 09:14 PM
10/23/13 09:14 PM
Neillsville, Wisconsin
mytincup Offline
trapper
mytincup  Offline
trapper

Neillsville, Wisconsin
Thanks for the great advice. I know I should have been asking in my current area but failed because I thought I would be transferred in my job. I have a lot of public land that I hunt and trap so I have never HAD to ask permission. The few that I have asked are friends that have family that trap so the answer was no.

Totals for 2014-2015
Raccoon: 0
Fox: 0
Coyote: 0
Beaver: 0
Muskrat: 0
Mink: 0
Possum: 0
Skunk: 0
Re: Some tips for getting permission to hunt/fish/trap [Re: travelintinner] #4070696
10/23/13 09:15 PM
10/23/13 09:15 PM
Lake Co.IL
Alpha Backflow Offline
trapper
Alpha Backflow  Offline
trapper

Lake Co.IL
Originally Posted By: travelintinner
Best thing to do is act arrogant and cuss a lot also don't be afraid to act as though you own the place. Farmers love that

Also ask if they have any daughters and ask to see pics. if they say they are married just tell them thats fine your not looking for anything long term

Re: Some tips for getting permission to hunt/fish/trap [Re: TVacao] #4070706
10/23/13 09:16 PM
10/23/13 09:16 PM
western pa
G
goldnut Offline
trapper
goldnut  Offline
trapper
G

western pa
I send thank you cards to all the land owners and I am always welcomed back. I do like the Christmas card idea though. I am respectable of them and their property. I just always tell myself that they don't have to let me hunt/trap there. Good post.

Re: Some tips for getting permission to hunt/fish/trap [Re: travelintinner] #4070718
10/23/13 09:20 PM
10/23/13 09:20 PM
se SD
rags57078 Offline
Humorist
rags57078  Offline
Humorist

se SD
Originally Posted By: travelintinner

hey there tinner quit sucking on the galvanized steel

Off in my own world

Fish on !!!!!!!

47 years in this game of trapping
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Wolfdog91