ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Norway Rats #4064984
10/21/13 07:41 AM
10/21/13 07:41 AM
SE Ohio
C
ChadC Offline OP
trapper
ChadC  Offline OP
trapper
C

SE Ohio
Hello, this is my first time on the ADC forum. I'm not an ADC guy but, I could use some solid advice from you ADC guys.

I discovered a large rat (dead) in my yard yesterday. I'm assuming my rat terrier killed it in the barn, although she usually leaves her kills at the front door. I watched as my father-in-law's farm got absolutely infested with these dang rats a few years back. He eventually poisoned them.

I'd like to nip this in the butt before I have an infestation, and I'd like to do it without poisons. Any helpful advise on how to attack these things.

- What type of traps?
- What types, or specific, baits?
- What locations?
- Anyone use snares on these guys?
- Snare construction?

HELP!!!!!
please!

Thank You

NTA.......OSTA.......NRA
Re: Norway Rats [Re: ChadC] #4065024
10/21/13 08:15 AM
10/21/13 08:15 AM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
Rat snap traps and small cage traps will work well if you get them set up in front of them going to and from their travelways, den sites and feed/ forage areas.Rats are opportunists as are most animals.However, it is best to secure your traps to a small piece of plywood just larger then the traps to help stabilize them for better performance.Not knowing the location of the network hub it is not easy giving set up instructions for them.

If you educate some by misses or bad hits those can be difficult to catch in that device again.

You have to get creative at times with rats as is so with other animals at times to catch them.We use some of coon and squirrel baits for baiting the traps. We catch alot of norway rats with this baiting and trapping method.

If a colony network is already established you might have some work ahead of you to keep on your trapping game. Adding some bait stations anchored in strategic spots will help with the process over time. Dont use pellet baits use block type baits that must be held with a wire bait holder to prevent bait / carry transfer to other areas of your property and cached. The severity of the problem will determine how many traps you will need to keep set and maintain at all times. We set 2-3 dozen to cover as many travel area/trails as can be found to speed up the catch process.

Re: Norway Rats [Re: ChadC] #4065737
10/21/13 04:37 PM
10/21/13 04:37 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
One of the first animals I ever got paid for was Norway rats. I caught them with Conibears probably the year after they came out on the market. Just set them in trails and they worked great. A quarter a rat; I made a fortune!

Re: Norway Rats [Re: ChadC] #4065800
10/21/13 05:21 PM
10/21/13 05:21 PM
OK
Aaron Proffitt Offline
trapper
Aaron Proffitt  Offline
trapper

OK
You already have a rat terrier...terriers are heck on rats . grin

Honor a Soldier. Be the kind of American worth fighting for.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread