ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
summer beaver trapping tricks and advice #3924052
08/04/13 04:44 AM
08/04/13 04:44 AM
SE Idaho
seitrapper Offline OP
trapper
seitrapper  Offline OP
trapper

SE Idaho
I have one of many beaver jobs right now and am having problems with 1 to 2 beavers. I am using a lure that is made by teton trap co. and has worked great, but one got pinched on the belly and is now shy to my set. There isn't any places to set 330's so foot traps are my only option. Snares are also out of the question. I am wondering if you may have any other tips for me for some sets? I am wanting to know of any other baits that I coule use. I have even tried to take some local green branches and shaved some off of the centers for a food type bait set but still no comittment from the beavers. Thanks for any advice!

Re: summer beaver trapping tricks and advice [Re: seitrapper] #3924068
08/04/13 06:19 AM
08/04/13 06:19 AM
Manchester Vt
O
OneHandSetters Offline
trapper
OneHandSetters  Offline
trapper
O

Manchester Vt
Have you tried some traps on the dam with a small hole for them to repair? Use blind sets with no bait. Find another place to set blind sets. They will associate that bait with danger now, use a change up or blind sets.
Dave

Knowledge is power, that becomes worthless unless you pass it on!
Home of the One Hand Setters! on Face Book
davidfsheldonjr@gmail.com
Re: summer beaver trapping tricks and advice [Re: seitrapper] #3924350
08/04/13 11:50 AM
08/04/13 11:50 AM
SE Idaho
seitrapper Offline OP
trapper
seitrapper  Offline OP
trapper

SE Idaho
Thanks for the advice. There is no dam. It is on the river and it is just open.

Last edited by seitrapper; 08/04/13 11:50 AM.
Re: summer beaver trapping tricks and advice [Re: seitrapper] #3924717
08/04/13 04:30 PM
08/04/13 04:30 PM
Georgia
R
Rubber Gun Offline
trapper
Rubber Gun  Offline
trapper
R

Georgia
how about floats or is the water moving too fast?

Re: summer beaver trapping tricks and advice [Re: seitrapper] #3924844
08/04/13 06:14 PM
08/04/13 06:14 PM
Manchester Vt
O
OneHandSetters Offline
trapper
OneHandSetters  Offline
trapper
O

Manchester Vt
Any back washes or feeder streams that they use? Any large tree roots washed out over rivers edge that makes a resting or feeding spot for them? With a little work , make a fake den hole for them to check out.
Dave

Knowledge is power, that becomes worthless unless you pass it on!
Home of the One Hand Setters! on Face Book
davidfsheldonjr@gmail.com
Re: summer beaver trapping tricks and advice [Re: ] #3925091
08/04/13 08:45 PM
08/04/13 08:45 PM
Georgia
R
Rubber Gun Offline
trapper
Rubber Gun  Offline
trapper
R

Georgia
Create a "fake" slide...Slick it up with some mud, use some stripped green branches to help the illusion. As Rick said make a pass through set in front of the slide with a well hidden snare. O set a connibear guarding the slide...Momma does not want any competition for feeding in her area...

Re: summer beaver trapping tricks and advice [Re: seitrapper] #3929487
08/07/13 01:30 PM
08/07/13 01:30 PM
New York
Jim Comstock Offline
trapper
Jim Comstock  Offline
trapper

New York
I also like a dam break. For some smart ones I have used a foothold and also a cage planted right in dam. Double door cage set with the lower end under water, top side door closed above the water, small hole under the cage, all covered with grass and mud, hidden completely with open entrance under water. Have taken some pretty spooky ones with that method. Best part, if the client is having issues with high water, where ever you lower the water to, it will stay. If the beaver leaves it alone the water will remain low and if he tries to plug it, you got him. In time he won't be able to stand the leak and will go for it, sometimes in a night or two.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread