ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Mike McMillan DVD Set #3910563
07/26/13 05:38 PM
07/26/13 05:38 PM
Central Indiana
J
jstetter83 Offline OP
trapper
jstetter83  Offline OP
trapper
J

Central Indiana
Anyone ever watched the whole set or any of his DVD's? If so, was it worth the money for a new guy?

Introduction to Professional Techniques of Wildlife Control
Bats, Birds, and Snakes
Advanced Bat ControlA
Year on the ADC Line
Urban Coyote Control

Re: Mike McMillan DVD Set [Re: jstetter83] #3910566
07/26/13 05:42 PM
07/26/13 05:42 PM
Waterford, WI
N
Nathan Krause Offline
trapper
Nathan Krause  Offline
trapper
N

Waterford, WI
In all honesty I fell asleep less than a hour into one.

Re: Mike McMillan DVD Set [Re: jstetter83] #3910569
07/26/13 05:45 PM
07/26/13 05:45 PM
Central Indiana
J
jstetter83 Offline OP
trapper
jstetter83  Offline OP
trapper
J

Central Indiana
Not worth the money then huh? Just looking to learn while still in the box... Try to lessin the curve at home... Hate to show up to that first job with, Uhhhh, well let me try this...lol

Re: Mike McMillan DVD Set [Re: jstetter83] #3910592
07/26/13 06:03 PM
07/26/13 06:03 PM
Waterford, WI
N
Nathan Krause Offline
trapper
Nathan Krause  Offline
trapper
N

Waterford, WI
I am sure they have some value but I couldnt stay awake.

Re: Mike McMillan DVD Set [Re: jstetter83] #3910609
07/26/13 06:14 PM
07/26/13 06:14 PM
Smoky Mtns TN
P
Paul Antczak Offline
trapper
Paul Antczak  Offline
trapper
P

Smoky Mtns TN
LOL I know Mike personaly he's a good friend. Alot of great info in it for you to get started. But yes it's drawn out. Mike likes to talk. Don't try to watch the whole thing at once!
Now can anyone give me geese advise? Please lol

Re: Mike McMillan DVD Set [Re: ] #3910755
07/26/13 07:38 PM
07/26/13 07:38 PM
Central Indiana
J
jstetter83 Offline OP
trapper
jstetter83  Offline OP
trapper
J

Central Indiana
Originally Posted By: Rick Federation
Also take some motion sickness pills before watching the videos. Horrible quality.

Hahaha... That made me laugh... I don't think the $230 is gonna be spent on these... Horrible quality and a sleep enabler... Hard to believe the price tag...

Thanks for the info...

Re: Mike McMillan DVD Set [Re: jstetter83] #3912063
07/27/13 05:38 PM
07/27/13 05:38 PM
OH
Eric Arnold Offline
trapper
Eric Arnold  Offline
trapper

OH
jstetter83,

I have three out of the 5 listed DVD's and while I won't say they are bad I also won't say they are great as I've never finished watching them and one hasn't even been opened yet. From what I've seen, the video quality was good and I didn't think Mike talked too much. My issue was simply just not agreeing with him in regard to how I run my business.

Videos are like cookies, you don't know if they are good or not until you take a bite. Sometimes you'll gobble them up quickly loving every minute, sometimes you nibble away at them with one part tasting better than another part and at other times you just never want to take that second bite.

Just like everyone has different tastes with cookies, so do we have different tastes with videos. We're releasing a nuisance video at the NTA that some will find quite boring and/or useless while others love it.

The best thing to do is get one and make up your own mind if it is good or not.

Eric Arnold
Publishing Editor W.C.T. Magazine
Editor The Fur Taker Magazine
Re: Mike McMillan DVD Set [Re: jstetter83] #3913843
07/28/13 06:10 PM
07/28/13 06:10 PM
Gainesville, Alachua, Florida,...
Robb Russell Offline
trapper
Robb Russell  Offline
trapper

My own two cents..................

It would be unfair to not give Mike McMillan the credit for being the first to even try to put what we do down on video let alone a set of five. Seven years ago no one was sharing how to do very little back then.Trapper mentality was very different. Friendships and training often consisted of expensive long distance phone calls from the early 90's- till one day we stopped worrying about the competition learning what you know and became more concerned about others giving a black eye for the industry. All of us are better today learning from the trial and error of so many before us.

Mike was kind of unique on the podcasts because he never was formally trained and figured it all out himself and was successful. He never made friends at a NWCOA or WCT Seminar like most friends did. I bet Mike still don't know to use a computer today too.But because of competition even he has to change some of his methods to survive in his market today.

Even I got flack for free "how to podcasts" then which also included some very early podcasts with Mike McMillan. Mike was a pioneer and all of you who can do better please go ahead. These DVD's are Circa 2007,2008 and honestly I have watched this industry grow and get better every year. But no one has tried to even put out their own DVD and be the leader and do a better job what is now seven years later? Lets not forget all us are superstars in our own minds with egos bigger then a pair of cahones on a Tyrannosaurus Rex anyway. Lets give credit where it is due.

Back then most trade secrets were just that trade secrets . Bob Evans, Kirk LaPierre, Mike Flick, Kevin Dahn, Maynard Stanley, Bob Jameson, Ron Jones,Newt Sterling, Rick Schadel, Mike Page, Al Lafrance, Brent Saxton, Paul Dobbins, Mike McMillian,Stephen Vantassel, Wiggler, Andy "Nutoy" Williams and many others all changed how we learn in this industry. Many of you owe each of them for sharing it here on Trapperman, in print and on audio on the Wildlife Pro Network and on my podcasts.

Will you learn something worth knowing from Mike on his DVD's the answer is yes. Not sure if you want to buy his dvd series please listen to him on a few free podcasts. I know of at least five he did with me back then. Make your own decision based on your own findings.

Mike was very important to my initial Bat Removal Podcasts 101,102, 103 and 104.[ http://batremovalpro.com/the-bat-removal-professionals-of-us-canada/podcasts/ ] He also did our first skunk removal podcast with Bob Evans, & Bob Jameson. [ http://recordings.talkshoe.com/TC-16456/TS-115722.mp3 ]. Mike is a great guy , the hillbilly trapper image works for him. Don't knock it.

I own all five of them some of its good , some of its bad. For what he he is asking it is a fraction of what you would pay to ride with Bob Jameson for a day or week. You are gonna learn things that worked for him and probably get more then your moneys worth if you even use any one of his experiences to make money. You will get your moneys worth many time overs if you give Mike a chance.

Most of you have a problem with his exclusion techniques, his business image in overalls and his long winded chats out side of his fur shed. Mike is respected by most if not all of his peers/competition in the Knoxville TN area. I have never known anyone in his region or who have actually met him ever speak badly of him as I have read here. Mike is a great mentor to many for a reason.Don't believe me pick up the phone and ask him for help. Paul Antzcak who commented in this thread is also his competitor. Mike is more of a fur trapper solving problems then the fine craftsmen business type that appeals to most of you.

Eric Arnold thank you for doing a new training video. You are the right guy to put a a well accepted polished product out from a more business man like perspective. I have not seen it but I am encouraged that if anything you do release will have the credibility to put out useful exclusion techniques and make your video well worth the money you will be asking for it. Eric is a great teacher , easy to follow and offers a great "hands on" bat exclusion course with classroom instruction every year.

Some other guys who should seriously think about doing some training videos include Bob Jameson,Reginald Murray, Rob Erickson, Paul Winkleman, Alan Huot, Ron Fry, Warrior, John Pearson, Tim Julien, Mike Flick, Paul Dobbins, Ron Jones, Rick Schadel, Kevin Cornwell,Justin Stephenson, Charles Holt,John Adcock, and the list goes on and on. Rick Federation you and warrior could do some amazing video training and you already work and cooperate so well as competitors in the same market.

So that's about as honest of an answer I can give you jstetter83 . I want to thank you for your service to our country and looking forward to you becoming one of us. Need something just pm me or call my toll free line 855-MYWILDLIFE (699-4535) ANYTIME!

Find Our Podcasts @ http://www.thewildlifepro.net
Re: Mike McMillan DVD Set [Re: jstetter83] #3914672
07/29/13 07:07 AM
07/29/13 07:07 AM
Waterford, WI
N
Nathan Krause Offline
trapper
Nathan Krause  Offline
trapper
N

Waterford, WI
Robb I really don't think anyone was putting down Mike as a person.

Like you said the guys in his area respect him greatly and I know Paul has said nothing but great things about him time and time again.

I think everyone gave their honest assessment of the videos.

I don't think you can make a video of what we do without it being boring and drawn out to some degree. The truth is what we do is mostly pretty boring on a day by day basis. My daughter said it best when she said her favorite part of working with me is when we get home. Now I guess she could of been talking about "ME" and not the work.

I too look forward to the WCT video and am sure it will be very beneficial to our industry.

Re: Mike McMillan DVD Set [Re: jstetter83] #3914773
07/29/13 09:20 AM
07/29/13 09:20 AM
Monroeville NJ
J
Jonesie Offline
trapper
Jonesie  Offline
trapper
J

Monroeville NJ
Paul Call me if you like, I have not done any goose work to speak of for the past 4 years but did it for 15 plus. you are late for the easy population reduction methods if there is any lol now it would be trap or shoot or hazing. also don't forget about the laws and permits for your state and or area.

On the videos I have only seen parts of his, and to be honest have thought many time to get them just haven't but will say this. I am sure that a person with a open mind to learn, no matter how much experience they have could gain something of value from them. Methods is always keyed on, by most, what size trap, baits, how to do this or how to do that, but more important than that, at least in my mind, is the habits and behavior of the critters that is being controlled. when you know the 4 w's then you can pick and choose the best methods or think out of the box and come up with something else that works. seeing how someone else does something, based on the why they do it, can only help a open minded person. and in our profession one little tip or why it is done can make use 200 plus bucks, and over time much more. it amazes me how much new stuff I learn about squirrels every year for all these years, just by talking to others on what they do and of course I ask why they do it.

Last edited by Jonesie; 07/29/13 09:21 AM.

Ron Jones
http://www.acpwildlifepro.net/
Rednecks Pride Game Calls / Outdoor Scents
Rednecks Pride Outdoors podcast
Friend me on FaceBook
Re: Mike McMillan DVD Set [Re: jstetter83] #3914812
07/29/13 09:56 AM
07/29/13 09:56 AM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
Well said Ron.

Re: Mike McMillan DVD Set [Re: jstetter83] #3915022
07/29/13 12:13 PM
07/29/13 12:13 PM
south east michigan
P
Peskycritter Offline
trapper
Peskycritter  Offline
trapper
P

south east michigan
Sounds like there's plenty of people ready to part with there DVD sets maybe someone could save you few bucks and sell there's to you

htt:// www.critterremovalmi.net
Free Trapper
Re: Mike McMillan DVD Set [Re: jstetter83] #3915168
07/29/13 01:33 PM
07/29/13 01:33 PM
Robb Russell Offline
trapper
Robb Russell  Offline
trapper

Thanks Eric, Bob, Ron, Rick and Nate!

The earlier video reviews in the beginning of this thread said very little for a guy many of us know and respect personally!

His videos as a set of five contain over 25 hours. I don't know too many of you trainers selling yourselves for $10 an hour either. I find fast forward solves many problems and there is not one trapping video I own that I don't use it for.

On another note:

Many of you guys have great YouTube channels share what you do with each other. Pesky keep em coming I love and hate yours too but your spirit and passion I will always admire.

DaveK I omitted you by mistake. I think you have a lot to offer especially when it comes to running and growing profitable business . Dittos to Charles Holt.

Warrior few compare to you when it comes to bees and other stinging insects. In my book you already are our Master Bee Removal Expert certified in every respect from me and your fellow peers. Bob Evans's would be so proud of who you already have become and the leadership you are providing this industry today. Teach us more David "warrior" McLeod on YouTube and a video from you is already long overdue my friend.

We all learn from each other ! We do a pretty good job these days being helpful. Love the spirit we have here. Keep it up.

More guys will open up if they did not fear of having been being judged here.

Re: Mike McMillan DVD Set [Re: jstetter83] #3915324
07/29/13 03:01 PM
07/29/13 03:01 PM
Central Indiana
J
jstetter83 Offline OP
trapper
jstetter83  Offline OP
trapper
J

Central Indiana
Gents,
I don't know a single one of ya personally, but can say one thing about the ADC guys on tman... And that is helpful... There are many of us trying, or considering starting in this biz and one thing u all touch on is the power of "do it right, for the good of us all"... If u keep displaying that conversation to us new guys, you r sure to keep the slacker, half wit, get rich quick guys, that give, the "black eye" at bay..

I responded to a thread by winklemann many months ago about the WCT mag... No clue what the industry consisted of, but I'm a little bored here, and I knew my military career was getting short... He hooked me up w my first subscription... I got curious, and started a thread... Nate and many others jumped on and really helped out. None pushed me to join the industry, but ensured me if that was my choice, they would help anyway possible... I learned in a matter of minutes, that rather this was the job for me or not, these ppl give a hoot about what they do, and its image... And I truly do want to be a part of a group like that...

Now if I can get enough learning done to be successful is another question...lol... U keep writing, and I will keep reading... As far as the videos, I think its an investment that can be past along, so if I can find it somewhere being handed down a little cheaper, I will ensure it gets past along to the next new guy...

Tell me about the books
WILDLIFE DAMAGE INSPECTION HANDBOOK and
WILDLIFE CONTROL OPERATORS

Again, nothing cheap in this getting started thing, but hopefully it pays off...

Thanks,
Jered

Re: Mike McMillan DVD Set [Re: jstetter83] #3915405
07/29/13 04:03 PM
07/29/13 04:03 PM
Robb Russell Offline
trapper
Robb Russell  Offline
trapper

Jered-

The first book I ever bought was "Wildlife Removal Handbook " by Stephen Vantassel Circa 1999

ISBN 0-09668582-0-4 His contract example alone was the basic document for any other contract I ever had made. Twenty chapters, 67 pages and still worth referencing even today.

I own 3rd edition WILDLIFE DAMAGE INSPECTION HANDBOOK also written by now Dr Stephen Vantassel . Buy it keep it in your truck. Plenty of pictures to and a great aid for solving most anything related to identification- of scat, types of damage and in in depth approach to doing inspections.

Both volumes of the National Wildlife Control Training Program Books put out By UNL, Corning UNIV and Perdue UNIV are well worth owning .

Another good book comes from a WCO Thomas Reilly " The Wildlife Management Professional's Company Handbook" . Good luck finding it though!

I am betting you would make fine WCO today. ANY WOC who can eat in squares has already earned my respect.

This former Cav trooper has a lot of respect for you Army Aviators !!! . Toujors Pret

Re: Mike McMillan DVD Set [Re: jstetter83] #3915982
07/29/13 09:18 PM
07/29/13 09:18 PM
georgia
R
Rugged Offline
trapper
Rugged  Offline
trapper
R

georgia
x2 about wildlife pro net podcast- I listen to them on my mp3 player almost daily

Re: Mike McMillan DVD Set [Re: jstetter83] #3916158
07/29/13 10:35 PM
07/29/13 10:35 PM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
Thank you fellows for the kind words. Robb you are so right that many of us have either forgotten or weren't around when Mike did his videos. At the time he was the first to put what we do on film and many didn't like him for it either as it was a pretty hush mouthed bunch of folks back then. Even on this forum I've seen it blossom into a great forum for sharing and teaching. Robb's own podcasts were revolutionary as well and still are today. I first joined this forum as a lowly technician for another firm (which BTW still bans it's employees from joining sites such as this and sharing information publicly) and was pretty much circumspect in my comments at the time. My original postings were curt and to the point and the only thing I really cut loose on was the state of the industry and the poor quality of both work and ethics at the time. Anyone who remembers me from back then probably remembers some of those rants but even then I was still a part of the problem and not part of the solution as I could not openly share the knowledge I was learning (my employment file at the time actually contained downloaded pages from this forum and write ups for those times I strayed). It was only as I reached out to the likes of Robb Russell and others (thank you Robb for not only being a mentor but also a genuine friend) that I realized that if what I was seeing in the industry was ever to improve then I had [Please excuse my language... I'm an idiot] well be prepared to teach the way I thought to be right.
Rick, it has been my honor to help you and Chris and others. Yes, you are a competitor and in many ways have surpassed me but I am as proud of what y'all have accomplished as I am sure y'all are. You're doing it right my friend and that is all I can ask of anyone, thank you.
jstetter83, you are on the right track and while I haven't bought Mike's videos I have seen portions of them and yes some of the material is dated but remember the state of the industry then he was roughing all on his own as so many of had to do back then. While some of our techniques may have improved and the quality of our exclusions are getting better and better every year (some of the stuff I did back then would never fly today) the animals haven't changed at all so the basics are still there. We still set traps based on our knowledge of the animal now instead of rigging materials borrowed from other trades or patching things with less than perfect items we now have craftsmen and women from the trades among us who can show the best methods and wonder of wonders we even have suppliers and inventors creating out of whole cloth the tools and products that apply to the specific issues we deal with. It's a great time to enter the industry but I'll caution as I do all newbies DO IT RIGHT OR NOT AT ALL.
Good luck!

[Linked Image]
Re: Mike McMillan DVD Set [Re: jstetter83] #3916167
07/29/13 10:38 PM
07/29/13 10:38 PM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
Thinking back on this there is one name that comes to mind, the late great Kirk Lapierre or Uncle Kirk to those of us who knew him. God, I miss him and I wonder what he would think of us today. That man loved this industry.

[Linked Image]
Re: Mike McMillan DVD Set [Re: warrior] #3916357
07/30/13 12:17 AM
07/30/13 12:17 AM
Robb Russell Offline
trapper
Robb Russell  Offline
trapper

Originally Posted By: warrior
Thinking back on this there is one name that comes to mind, the late great Kirk Lapierre or Uncle Kirk to those of us who knew him. God, I miss him and I wonder what he would think of us today. That man loved this industry.

David if Kirk was alive today I bet he would put his arms around you and say thank you brother [to all of YOU]!!

There never would of been a Wildlife Pro Network if it were not for two of my then three personal mentors "late Kirk LaPierre , late Bob Evans and the very alive Mike Flick". I was saddened by their deaths three weeks apart in 2010 but someone up there in heaven made sure guys like Ron Jones & you David (many, many others)stepped right in and filled some very hard to fill shoes.

http://www.anytimewildlifecontrol.com/page/bob-evans-cwcp-1944-2010

http://kirklapierre.com/videos/

My podcasts are never really about me but the WCO's, Beekeepers and internet marketing experts who choose to join me. As an industry it has been pretty neat for the little part many of you permitted me to be part of with all you great WCO's. If were not for many of you at certain periods of my life health wise I probably would of ended up a greeter at Walmart or worse . Mike Flick I am talking about you first and then many others. !

I thank all of you from the bottom of my heart and never think otherwise. I hope to meet many of you someday and that is gonna happen someday
Click to reveal..
when the USDA WS is not invited or on stage and Yodle at the door as a vendor. Lol

Nobody does it better then the Private WCO !!

Re: Mike McMillan DVD Set [Re: jstetter83] #3916464
07/30/13 05:16 AM
07/30/13 05:16 AM
Central Indiana
J
jstetter83 Offline OP
trapper
jstetter83  Offline OP
trapper
J

Central Indiana
Rick and Robb,
I talked about this all with the wife, and we decided to invest in the course first, so yesterday I applied for the National Wildlife Control Training program w UNL... I watched the first video on youtube (about an hr class), and loved every second. You can't get any better training that that, other than field experiece. WIth the course came the book, 1st edition only I think.

I will keep you guys up to date on how the course goes and will provide my 2 cents on its general worthiness when i'm done... Its about 40hrs online, so I will be busy for a bit with it...

After the course, i will choose a couple books, based on you guys suggestions.... Like you said, to keep in the truck and ref...

Has anyone else taken the course?

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread