ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Crows #3903794
07/22/13 07:38 PM
07/22/13 07:38 PM
california
west coast skull Offline OP
trapper
west coast skull  Offline OP
trapper

california
Hey guys I have a ? for you. I work for a large farming outfit and right now we have one ranch that is getting hammered by crows. Boss wants them gone and asked me to look into it. You guys have any suggestions on how to go about this effectively. I think shooting at them will get a few but educate the rest. We are obtaining the proper permits through F&G so everything is legal. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Damon

Re: Crows [Re: west coast skull] #3903866
07/22/13 08:19 PM
07/22/13 08:19 PM
NH
S
sgs Offline
trapper
sgs  Offline
trapper
S

NH
What is it that's attracting the crows to the ranch?

How many crows are you talking about?

Re: Crows [Re: west coast skull] #3903921
07/22/13 08:45 PM
07/22/13 08:45 PM
Lower Alabama (Daleville)
L
LAtrapper Online content
"Professor"
LAtrapper  Online Content
"Professor"
L

Lower Alabama (Daleville)
As sgs said, more information is needed. Here is some information on one possible solution Effigies for Dispersing Urban Crow Roosts. I have found that it works well in pecan orchards.

EDIT: For a crow trap see- Crow Trap

Last edited by LAtrapper; 07/22/13 08:58 PM.

Note to self- Engage brain before opening mouth (or hitting the ENTER key/SUBMIT button).

Ron Fry

Re: Crows [Re: LAtrapper] #3904626
07/23/13 09:33 AM
07/23/13 09:33 AM
california
trapper
trapper

california
Thanks for the replies guys. After we harvest a field and start the ground work they come in pretty heavy. Problem is that we have fields next to these that aren't ready and the birds will crap in those fields. Then our food safety teams walk these fields befor harvest and reports on the bird droppings. Which comes back to us to take care of. I know you will never eliminate that problem but the last couple of years it seems like right around this time we get a huge in increase of crows.I'am not sure if it is mating season for them right now or they are pssing through. By the looks of it there are about 200 to 250 crows right now. Thanks again for your guys time and the info. Damon

Re: Crows [Re: west coast skull] #3904732
07/23/13 11:17 AM
07/23/13 11:17 AM
NH
S
sgs Offline
trapper
sgs  Offline
trapper
S

NH
The reason you are seeing such an abundance of crows at this time is because the breeding, nesting and fledging seasons are over. For every pair of adult crows you now have two or three additional birds that were hatched and raised this year. The population has effectively doubled, if not tripled.

Crows are basically a very gregarious animal and form large flocks at this time of year. Food and general sociability are their main interest.

Quote:
I think shooting at them will get a few but educate the rest.

They are an unusually smart bird and educating them is exactly what you want to do. In NH, our crow hunting season corresponds with the ripening of our sweet corn crop for a good reason.

If you can, shooting works wonders, at least on flocks of one or two hundred. It's an enjoyable activity for wing shooters looking to sharpen their skills before dove and waterfowl seasons. And yes, the crows learn fast. Usually they learn that there are much safer fields elsewhere.

Hazing has some success. Pyrotechnics, propane cannons, etc. can work short term.

I don't know anyone who has tried the traps but they might help.

Re: Crows [Re: sgs] #3904971
07/23/13 01:37 PM
07/23/13 01:37 PM
california
trapper
trapper

california
Thank you SGS,

I'am waiting on the permit then I will get after it. I found where they are roosting so going to start there. Then I will have my dad and a partner ride the ranch during the day keeping after them. Good job for a couple retired guys pickup to drive and all the shells they need. Thanks again for the info. Damon

Re: Crows [Re: west coast skull] #3905184
07/23/13 03:54 PM
07/23/13 03:54 PM
St. Louis Co, Mo
B
BigBob Offline
trapper
BigBob  Offline
trapper
B

St. Louis Co, Mo
Excellent practice for Duck/Dove season.

Every kid needs a Dog and a Curmudgeon.

Remember Bowe Bergdahl, the traitor.

Beware! Jill Pudlewski, Ron Oates and Keven Begesse are liars and thiefs!
Re: Crows [Re: west coast skull] #3907901
07/25/13 12:56 AM
07/25/13 12:56 AM
OH
M
mousie Offline
trapper
mousie  Offline
trapper
M

OH
the information on here is quite noteworthy.

never make someone a priority when they make you an option !
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread