ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Getting paid #3898420
07/19/13 06:25 AM
07/19/13 06:25 AM
NH
N
NHScout Offline OP
trapper
NHScout  Offline OP
trapper
N

NH
I'm very frustrated, I work very hard at trying to give my clients the best possuble service I can. I just recently did a woodchuck job and he hasn't paid me yet. He told me on the 18 I would get a check. How do you get your money? Do you have contracts? I have lost money both this year and last year from private owners.

Re: Getting paid [Re: NHScout] #3898425
07/19/13 06:29 AM
07/19/13 06:29 AM
Rodney,Ohio
SNIPERBBB Offline
trapper
SNIPERBBB  Offline
trapper

Rodney,Ohio
Get it up front(this means you tell them before you even show up), either cash, check or credit card. Makes life much simpler that way.

Re: Getting paid [Re: NHScout] #3898434
07/19/13 06:51 AM
07/19/13 06:51 AM
Waterford, WI
N
Nathan Krause Offline
trapper
Nathan Krause  Offline
trapper
N

Waterford, WI
If their was an easy answer life would be good for all of us.

I don't know any business owner in any service industry who doesn't have someone who owes him money.

I had a lady who took an entire year to pay me. I had to sneak in on one store owner to get paid. He would always run and hide in the basement when I was coming to the door.

I have one customer who still owes over $1200 from 2012.

And most recently I have a business who wrote me a $5000 bad check. The ladies at his bank know me by name I stop in twice a week to see if I can cash it. Figure if I don't have the money by August 1st I am gonna file a police report. Writing bad checks is a crime in Wisconsin.

Getting paid up front really helps but it is not always an option. Especially if the owner isn't in the area.

Re: Getting paid [Re: NHScout] #3898438
07/19/13 06:58 AM
07/19/13 06:58 AM
Smoky Mtns TN
P
Paul Antczak Offline
trapper
Paul Antczak  Offline
trapper
P

Smoky Mtns TN
Hey Nate now you do! I have not been stiffed on a job yet! On jobs over $1000 I get 50% up front and paid the day of completion. This gets put on my proposals.
Hey I just put our 3 Pecker devices at a resort. This is a trial with the cabin rental company.

Re: Getting paid [Re: NHScout] #3898478
07/19/13 07:57 AM
07/19/13 07:57 AM

D
DaveK
Unregistered
DaveK
Unregistered
D

Part of being the risk taker.

Re: Getting paid [Re: NHScout] #3898488
07/19/13 08:09 AM
07/19/13 08:09 AM
Menifee, California
BigFoot Traps Offline
trapper
BigFoot Traps  Offline
trapper

Menifee, California
Hey guys - here is another idea - seeing how U R talking about ADC trapping work ? - getting paid - or not - as the case may be - ?
Why not use PAYPAL - just open an account on PAYPAL with your checking account at any bank?
Simple - use your business or personal checking account - link it to a PAYPAL account - now you can link any FACEBOOK page - TWITTER page - website - etc. to the PAYPAL link - and your customers can access that page(s) on line - and you can use PAYPAL or any major credit card - VISA - MASTERCARD - DISCOVER - AMERICAN EXPRESS - etc. to accept payments, in addition to the "normal" paper checks - money orders , cashier checks , bank drafts, or cash -

Plus you can require the person(s) to deposit - 50% up front in the PAYPAL account before the job starts and even offer a NET 30 - 60 - 90 to commercial clients if you like - ? It comes off as more professional - and I think your clients will like it as well - LET ME KNOW if you need help with WEBSITE work - CODE writing - EBAY / PAYPAL integration - etc. I can do that kind of thing 4 you - and offer assistance in other areas as well -

LET ME know WHAT U need - if anything -

TRAPPER - ED

Z(;70)> - xxx

Re: Getting paid [Re: NHScout] #3898533
07/19/13 08:59 AM
07/19/13 08:59 AM

D
DaveK
Unregistered
DaveK
Unregistered
D

Some net 30 folks skip town....I think that is the question in the thread.

Re: Getting paid [Re: NHScout] #3898586
07/19/13 09:40 AM
07/19/13 09:40 AM
somewhere in the middle of MT
D
DAVE SALYS-CWCP Offline
trapper
DAVE SALYS-CWCP  Offline
trapper
D

somewhere in the middle of MT
Is it just me or does Bfoot have a "unique" way of typing. Kind of a cross between Vinke and Pesky. grin

Last edited by DAVE SALYS-CWCP; 07/19/13 01:14 PM. Reason: added smiley face, didn't want to hurt anybody's feeling
Re: Getting paid [Re: NHScout] #3898594
07/19/13 09:51 AM
07/19/13 09:51 AM
NH
S
sgs Offline
trapper
sgs  Offline
trapper
S

NH
Scout, if you are charging a setup/inspection fee and a per animal charge, get the setup fee up front. At least you wont lose completely.

If you're charging a weekly fee (or similar structure) get paid up front.

If you're not getting paid a sizable amount, there's always small claims court and mechanics liens.

Contracts are always a good idea even if it is nothing more that a signed work order. There are generic versions at Staples and other office supply stores.

Re: Getting paid [Re: NHScout] #3898676
07/19/13 10:50 AM
07/19/13 10:50 AM
NH
N
NHScout Offline OP
trapper
NHScout  Offline OP
trapper
N

NH
SGS, it just pisses me off, I had a customer that had a problem with groundhogs going under their deck. I told them that I could trap them, but they should have a fence put in to prevent other animals from going under there. They call me back a month later because now they have a skunk problem, and they don't think they should have to pay.

Re: Getting paid [Re: NHScout] #3898754
07/19/13 11:49 AM
07/19/13 11:49 AM
NH
S
sgs Offline
trapper
sgs  Offline
trapper
S

NH
I've had several customers like that myself.

You can always just refuse to help them anymore but in situations like this I try to compromise. I usually tell them that... 'seeing as no inspection is really necessary at this point, I'll wave the setup fee and catch the animal for my usual per animal fee.'

If they agree to the compromise, make sure you are paid up front!

Re: Getting paid [Re: NHScout] #3898903
07/19/13 01:27 PM
07/19/13 01:27 PM
Florida
WTWC Offline
trapper
WTWC  Offline
trapper

Florida
I collect the service fee up front. I have them sign the agreed amount on my iPad with the terms and conditions. I send a few friendly reminders. Depending on how much is owed, sometimes I will show up and say if you pay me now I'll only charge you half. If that doesn't work (100% success so far) I have a lawyer send a letter to them. I don't have to pay for this.

I cut my losses and move on. If all else fails, sell it to a collection agency. Let them stress over it and harass them.

Re: Getting paid [Re: NHScout] #3900118
07/20/13 09:38 AM
07/20/13 09:38 AM
St. Louis area
D
Dave Schmidt Offline
trapper
Dave Schmidt  Offline
trapper
D

St. Louis area
Originally Posted By: NHScout
SGS, it just pisses me off, I had a customer that had a problem with groundhogs going under their deck. I told them that I could trap them, but they should have a fence put in to prevent other animals from going under there. They call me back a month later because now they have a skunk problem, and they don't think they should have to pay.

Break it down:
1. Customer called you to provide a service (catching the g-hogs), you (presumably) caught the g-hogs and also, as a professional, advised him as to how to prevent future problems.
2. Customer did not heed your professional advice.
3. Customer now has the problem you advised him to forestall.
Therefore, because he didn't listen to you, he's disappointed.
I think you know what to do now. New job, no price break, see if he listens this time. Let him down gently, but he needs to understand that the skunk problem is of his own making: he ignored the (excellent) advice of a professional.

One other thing - write in captial letters on the wall of your office and the dashboard of your truck the following words: CASH ON DELIVERY and CONTRACT.

ALL OUT Wildlife Control
Re: Getting paid [Re: NHScout] #3900622
07/20/13 04:45 PM
07/20/13 04:45 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
I am one of the easiest going businessmen you will ever want to meet. ( Fortunately, the rest of our company isn't ) There is just one rule that I follow: If you are a new customer, and we haven't got your credit card number, you will pay me the service call on the first day that I show up. Or you won't get any service. If people can avoid paying you the service call, many of them won't pay you anything else either.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread