ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Anyone else getting "abandoned fawn" calls? #3845353
06/14/13 09:27 PM
06/14/13 09:27 PM
Rodney,Ohio
SNIPERBBB Offline OP
trapper
SNIPERBBB  Offline OP
trapper

Rodney,Ohio
I've gotten two of these calls in the last 9 days. Hopefully these people are taking my advice to leave these things alone and to call the District DNR office who will probably advise them that its illegal to possess or rehab wild deer. (There was a police offers a few years ago that got in trouble for rescuing a fawn)

Re: Anyone else getting "abandoned fawn" calls? [Re: SNIPERBBB] #3845361
06/14/13 09:35 PM
06/14/13 09:35 PM
ontario canada
P
pops Offline
trapper
pops  Offline
trapper
P

ontario canada
Had two up our way last week, one case kids brought the thing home, I had to tell the father to take it back where they found it so mamma could hook up with it again.

Re: Anyone else getting "abandoned fawn" calls? [Re: SNIPERBBB] #3845388
06/14/13 09:50 PM
06/14/13 09:50 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
If we don't get at least one every other day, then the phone ain't workin. We have a standardized monologue for callers.
"Leave it alone. The mother is close. She'll pick it up tonight. If not, call us in the morning."
"I don't believe you; I'm sure it's abandoned."
"Well than you can be the first person to call us the morning in 25 years!"

We did have the local police call us about two fawns that needed a foster home. "Where is mom?" was our first question,
"She just got hit," was the answer. We only have a couple of people in the area with deer farm licenses.

Re: Anyone else getting "abandoned fawn" calls? [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #3845402
06/14/13 10:00 PM
06/14/13 10:00 PM
Gainesville, Alachua, Florida,...
Robb Russell Offline
trapper
Robb Russell  Offline
trapper

Gainesville, Alachua, Florida,...
Originally Posted By: Paul Winkelmann
If we don't get at least one every other day, then the phone ain't workin. We have a standardized monologue for callers.
"Leave it alone. The mother is close. She'll pick it up tonight. If not, call us in the morning."
"I don't believe you; I'm sure it's abandoned."
"Well than you can be the first person to call us the morning in 25 years!"

We did have the local police call us about two fawns that needed a foster home. "Where is mom?" was our first question,
"She just got hit," was the answer. We only have a couple of people in the area with deer farm licenses.

Thanks Paul I was gonna comment and realized you nailed it.

Find Our Podcasts @ http://www.thewildlifepro.net
Re: Anyone else getting "abandoned fawn" calls? [Re: SNIPERBBB] #3845435
06/14/13 10:12 PM
06/14/13 10:12 PM

D
DaveK
Unregistered
DaveK
Unregistered
D

Nice teamwork!

Re: Anyone else getting "abandoned fawn" calls? [Re: SNIPERBBB] #3845823
06/15/13 09:38 AM
St. Louis area
D
Dave Schmidt Offline
trapper
Dave Schmidt  Offline
trapper
D

St. Louis area
What Wink said.
add: "But it's just sitting there!"
Me: "You mean, without a cell phone or a video game to play?! Why, that's Animal Child Abuse! I'll drop everything and be right over!!!"
sheesh!
Had a call yesterday: "There's a baby bird on a branch and it's just sitting there!!"
I wanted to say "Why don't you go to 'help' it and see if Mom or Dad-bird drills a couple more holes in your empty head?"

Last edited by Dave Schmidt; 06/15/13 09:47 AM.

ALL OUT Wildlife Control
Re: Anyone else getting "abandoned fawn" calls? [Re: SNIPERBBB] #3845824
Tug Hill, New York
A
Albert Burns Offline
trapper
Albert Burns  Offline
trapper
A

Tug Hill, New York
We also have been getting a ton of them for the last couple weeks. One lady had a fawn in her garage ( for safe keeping ). Another had it in the trunk of his car, and wanted to know where to deliver it....The best was the owner of a contracting company. His guys were working about 60 miles away in Ithaca N.Y. , when they found a fawn on the jobsite. He instructed them to put it in the cab of the work truck, which they did, and bring it back to Syracuse with them. He knew it was abandoned,and wanted to know where to take it when they got back into Syracuse.
I have gotten tired of explaining to folks that what they have done is illegal,and to return the fawn where they found it and it will be fine.They will just continue to argue it has been abandoned and they know whats best for it. This year we found a new solution,that not only gets the fawn the help it now needs,but also gets the person possessing it the legal repurcussions they deserve. We politely give them the the phone number of the local Conservation Officer,and tell them to leave a message with your name, phone number, and explain exactly what you have done,and I promise they will contact you promptly to help you with that fawn. grin

Re: Anyone else getting "abandoned fawn" calls? [Re: SNIPERBBB] #3845832
06/15/13 09:56 AM
06/15/13 09:56 AM
Sacramento Mountains NM
mtncat Offline
trapper
mtncat  Offline
trapper

Sacramento Mountains NM
We are in a rather unique situation in my part of the state. There is no "rescue" available here. Due to chronic wasting disease it is not legal to transport them out of the management unit. People don't really want to know what happens to deer fawns or elk calfs that they
Try and "help"
G&F deals with those issue and people.

Last edited by mtncat; 06/15/13 12:29 PM.

Re: Anyone else getting "abandoned fawn" calls? [Re: SNIPERBBB] #3846157
06/15/13 04:16 PM
06/15/13 04:16 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
Albert, I think that is the coolest post on deer fawns ever. But did you ever have any of these people contact you for some real wildlife problem, after they paid the fine?

Re: Anyone else getting "abandoned fawn" calls? [Re: SNIPERBBB] #3846203
06/15/13 05:17 PM
06/15/13 05:17 PM
southwest, VA
andyva Offline
trapper
andyva  Offline
trapper

southwest, VA
I had a good one last week. Woman had already called everyone from the Game Department on down, they all gave her the "leave it alone" speech. She said " No, really, this thing has been around for days, no sign of mom." They all stuck to the "leave it alone" song and dance. By the time she got to me it was a "get this stinking maggot infested thing out of my yard" situation. Picked up a bloated doe not far from her on the same trip. Coincidence? Maybe, but I ain't complaining.

Re: Anyone else getting "abandoned fawn" calls? [Re: Albert Burns] #3850340
06/18/13 05:14 PM
06/18/13 05:14 PM
West Virginia
dalewick Offline
trapper
dalewick  Offline
trapper

West Virginia
Originally Posted By: Albert Burns
We also have been getting a ton of them for the last couple weeks. One lady had a fawn in her garage ( for safe keeping ). Another had it in the trunk of his car, and wanted to know where to deliver it....The best was the owner of a contracting company. His guys were working about 60 miles away in Ithaca N.Y. , when they found a fawn on the jobsite. He instructed them to put it in the cab of the work truck, which they did, and bring it back to Syracuse with them. He knew it was abandoned,and wanted to know where to take it when they got back into Syracuse.
I have gotten tired of explaining to folks that what they have done is illegal,and to return the fawn where they found it and it will be fine.They will just continue to argue it has been abandoned and they know whats best for it. This year we found a new solution,that not only gets the fawn the help it now needs,but also gets the person possessing it the legal repurcussions they deserve. We politely give them the the phone number of the local Conservation Officer,and tell them to leave a message with your name, phone number, and explain exactly what you have done,and I promise they will contact you promptly to help you with that fawn. grin

Thank You!!!!! When they pay for there mistakes, they remember them!

I never saw a wild thing , feel sorry for itself.....
Re: Anyone else getting "abandoned fawn" calls? [Re: dalewick] #3850399
06/18/13 05:56 PM
06/18/13 05:56 PM
Suffolk new york
M
Miley Offline
trapper
Miley  Offline
trapper
M

Suffolk new york
Great post! Was at my daughters place on fathers b-b-q day when I heard the bleating of a fawn Saw the little fellow walking in the woods crying. Everyone wanted to rescue the ( abandoned) fawn. Had to explain to just leave em be.

Re: Anyone else getting "abandoned fawn" calls? [Re: SNIPERBBB] #3850451
06/18/13 06:32 PM
06/18/13 06:32 PM
south east michigan
P
Peskycritter Offline
trapper
Peskycritter  Offline
trapper
P

south east michigan
Just got a come get this big snapper turtle for free call . Turtle was trying to feed on kids around apartments is what I was told

htt:// www.critterremovalmi.net
Free Trapper
Re: Anyone else getting "abandoned fawn" calls? [Re: SNIPERBBB] #3850498
06/18/13 07:07 PM
06/18/13 07:07 PM
Tug Hill, New York
A
Albert Burns Offline
trapper
Albert Burns  Offline
trapper
A

Tug Hill, New York
Our first two calls yesterday were for Snappers,the first was the usual "you have to come get it for free, before it eats all the neighborhood children" call. The second was interesting, a lady was riding the Amtrak Train,and saw one along the tracks. She was trying to find out who owned the railroad tracks, so we could get permission to go there and rescue the turtle she had seen . There were so many crazy calls yesterday we wrote them down in the log book.
1. Turtle on railroad.
2. Turtle possibly eating children.
3. Squirrel in home.
4. Squirrel in home.
5.Pigeon with broken wing,please send help.
6.Google update.
7. We can loan you alot of money....
8. Woodchucks under a mobile home,you really charge for this ?
9. Woodchucks in the hood,drove by,not leaving my cages there.
10. Cat with kittens in the shed,please come get them,they're not our cats.
11. Squirrel in the kitchen,we set traps and he won't go in them,please help us...
12. Raccoon under the eaves of a commercial building taking a nap,please come kill him...
13. Dead Raccoon in the yard,what do we do now ?

We got busy and I quit writing them down after these, just another typical day.

Last edited by Albert Burns; 06/18/13 07:13 PM.
Re: Anyone else getting "abandoned fawn" calls? [Re: SNIPERBBB] #3852143
06/19/13 09:09 PM
06/19/13 09:09 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
Thanks Albert. From now on, when my lovely bride complains about the lunatic calls, I'm going to show her your list. ( And they even have "the hood" in Syracuse. )

Re: Anyone else getting "abandoned fawn" calls? [Re: SNIPERBBB] #3852309
06/19/13 10:34 PM
06/19/13 10:34 PM
Tug Hill, New York
A
Albert Burns Offline
trapper
Albert Burns  Offline
trapper
A

Tug Hill, New York
They do at that,and I am usaully happy to work there,and have almost no issues with theft,vandalism, or getting paid. This one just didn't feel right, it was for live trapping woodchucks under a front porch. Sitting right on the porch above the entry hole was a half dozen teenagers that looked really bored.....

Re: Anyone else getting "abandoned fawn" calls? [Re: SNIPERBBB] #3854227
06/21/13 09:03 AM
06/21/13 09:03 AM
somewhere in the middle of MT
D
DAVE SALYS-CWCP Offline
trapper
DAVE SALYS-CWCP  Offline
trapper
D

somewhere in the middle of MT
Rattlesnake call yesterday, lady wants info on the new species of rattler being bred and released that doesn't have a rattle. crazy

Re: Anyone else getting "abandoned fawn" calls? [Re: SNIPERBBB] #3854259
06/21/13 09:31 AM
06/21/13 09:31 AM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
Hey, we've got them here too. They're called milk snakes.

Re: Anyone else getting "abandoned fawn" calls? [Re: SNIPERBBB] #3854278
06/21/13 09:46 AM
06/21/13 09:46 AM
Rodney,Ohio
SNIPERBBB Offline OP
trapper
SNIPERBBB  Offline OP
trapper

Rodney,Ohio
Don't copperheads do the same tail shake as rattlers?

Re: Anyone else getting "abandoned fawn" calls? [Re: SNIPERBBB] #3854808
06/21/13 05:46 PM
06/21/13 05:46 PM
NM
H
HD_Wildlife Offline
trapper
HD_Wildlife  Offline
trapper
H

NM
Dave, Did you tell her about bull/gopher snakes? smile

I've had them in my hands with folks literally seeing every inch of them and they still don't believe it might not be a rattler!

Early summer is a massive amount of "faux" rattler calls. Gotta love the conspiracy theory about people breeding these rattler free
rattlesnakes, takes me back to the people that would pull up next to our truck in MI and ask if we were tracking the grizzly or mountain
lions the govt. was breeding and releasing in the national forest there.

At first you smile and chuckle, till you realize they are serious and fully believe it to be true.

Then you move back inside the vehicle and slowly roll up the window......

Also love the folks out here who believe that fire several hundred miles away, is why they have a rattlesnake in their yard the first
time in 20 years... fun conversations...

Great list Albert!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread