ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Worms running from moles #3850109
06/18/13 01:10 PM
06/18/13 01:10 PM
south east michigan
P
Peskycritter Offline OP
trapper
Peskycritter  Offline OP
trapper
P

south east michigan
Got some kinda rare footage yesterday of how worm react to being hunted by moles . I wasn't there for moles but after a skunk that's been coming to the guys bird feeder day and night . His cats like to hang around his bird feeder and this skunk comes and has made friends with the cats . He's afraid these cats might get sick from the skunk . I didn't wish the mole any harm so that's why I didn't do what you all think I should have done .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjfW9F_hUZU&feature=youtube_gdata_player

htt:// www.critterremovalmi.net
Free Trapper
Re: Worms running from moles [Re: Peskycritter] #3850262
06/18/13 03:23 PM
06/18/13 03:23 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
I'd be afraid that the cats would make the skunk sick. Trap the cats and leave the skunk.

Re: Worms running from moles [Re: Peskycritter] #3850289
06/18/13 03:56 PM
06/18/13 03:56 PM
south east michigan
P
Peskycritter Offline OP
trapper
Peskycritter  Offline OP
trapper
P

south east michigan
Placing a bird feeder so your cats have birds to kill I can find lots of problem with that . Not one single right thing . He claims it's only nature his cats hunt . NO its not . Yes skunk was working his land scape some but viewed it as helping the skunk out .

Free Trapper
Re: Worms running from moles [Re: Peskycritter] #3850797
06/18/13 10:08 PM
06/18/13 10:08 PM
Redwood City,California
S
SteveAlbano Offline
trapper
SteveAlbano  Offline
trapper
S

Redwood City,California
I have often noticed worms come shooting up out of the ground when I dig up a mole run to set a mole trap. I only see that happen when I am digging around mole runs. I have never seen it when setting gopher traps, or gardening, or digging for any other reason.

Definitely looks like an escape behavior to get away from moles.

Anyway, it's interesting. Thanks for posting, Pesky.

Re: Worms running from moles [Re: Peskycritter] #3851820
06/19/13 06:04 PM
06/19/13 06:04 PM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
I have made the same observations with worms making an exodus escape to the surface when digging into a mole run. I incision the run to remove a cut sod plug large enough to set the runs and then replace the sod back into position to re seal the run upon completion of the set up.

I never gave it much thought. I assumed the vibration of the dirt disturbance by me digging into the runs in that immediate area keyed a possible escape behavior from the worms.

Could it be a survival instinct inherent to some seasoned worms that when they feel a vibration of digging coming their way that they get out of Dodge so to speak? Interesting theory or could it be fact?

Re: Worms running from moles [Re: Peskycritter] #3852220
06/19/13 09:47 PM
06/19/13 09:47 PM
Redwood City,California
S
SteveAlbano Offline
trapper
SteveAlbano  Offline
trapper
S

Redwood City,California
I remember a golf course superintendent once told me that he could locate and kill moles by watching where robbins would go to eat worms that were coming up out of the ground. He said it wasn't totally effective, but that it was a lot more effective than just watching for moving ground.

Re: Worms running from moles [Re: Peskycritter] #3853656
06/20/13 09:15 PM
06/20/13 09:15 PM
south east michigan
P
Peskycritter Offline OP
trapper
Peskycritter  Offline OP
trapper
P

south east michigan
I've used birds to locate bait fish I'm sure birds would like the easy worms to catch as well

Free Trapper
Re: Worms running from moles [Re: Peskycritter] #3865611
06/28/13 12:22 AM
06/28/13 12:22 AM
south east michigan
P
Peskycritter Offline OP
trapper
Peskycritter  Offline OP
trapper
P

south east michigan
Ran into a different thing today and about gave the customer a heart attack as well . Pulled into check my mole traps . Lady comes running out then takes off running back in yelling ill be back after you check your traps I don't want to see them . Seven years I've been working for her very nice lady as well . Had one trap miss lawn mowing guys moved my traps and there in big trouble she said .
She comes out showing me where the moles have been working in her mulch so I dig down and there's a fresh dead mole shes like right over my shoulder and flips out when I pull it up out of the run . It was fresh about average size . Seen the tail had to grab it natural instinct had kicked in so I forgot see didn't wish to see them . Wasn't from me and just pur luck I dug and found it . the mole looked healthy thinking maybe some dropped juicie fruit gum and the mole happened to find it or something .

Free Trapper
Re: Worms running from moles [Re: Peskycritter] #3865631
06/28/13 12:43 AM
06/28/13 12:43 AM
Raeford, NC
Puppy Creek Offline
trapper
Puppy Creek  Offline
trapper

Raeford, NC
We do something here in the south called "gruntin" for worms. You put a stake in the ground and run a dull saw blade across it, the worms coming shooting to the top in about a 3 foot radius- kids use it to catch fishing bait. The theory is, the vibrations are something like a mole digging and they come to the top to avoid it.

I've graduated to using soapy water or black walnuts- chemical warfare.

I only regret that I have but one life to lose for my country.
- Nathan Hale

Isaiah 41:10
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread