ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Bat job #3764268
04/17/13 08:33 AM
04/17/13 08:33 AM
Clifton Illinois
2 trap Offline OP
trapper
2 trap  Offline OP
trapper

Clifton Illinois
this weekend i will be doing a bat job. It's in the corner up under a peak on top of the roof. I should be able to form the plastic and run it down a couple of feet. If i secure it on 3 sides they should be able to get out without being able to get back in. think this sounds right?

Re: Bat job [Re: 2 trap] #3764403
04/17/13 10:19 AM
04/17/13 10:19 AM

D
DaveK
Unregistered
DaveK
Unregistered
D

If they don't get back in there, they will find the other spots.

Re: Bat job [Re: ] #3764488
04/17/13 11:30 AM
04/17/13 11:30 AM
Clifton Illinois
2 trap Offline OP
trapper
2 trap  Offline OP
trapper

Clifton Illinois
I went and block the other holes i seen. This is the main entrance as far as they told me. I told them we might of missed a hole and will fix it if they continue to come in and out of this hole..

Re: Bat job [Re: 2 trap] #3764552
04/17/13 12:36 PM
04/17/13 12:36 PM
NM
H
HD_Wildlife Offline
trapper
HD_Wildlife  Offline
trapper
H

NM
2 Trap - Is tough to go just by what the folks tell you. They may see one emergence that could very well be the better part of the group, but you could have lots of other entry points (some of which you might have now sealed) that could have been used by larger groups as well, or just a couple. Depending on the type of structure this could result in blocked bats going back down into the living space or being sealed inside. While most folks won't pay for a "bat watch" when starting this type of work it is extremely important to do as thorough a job as possible to investigate the entire structure and don't expect that you will also see blazing hot signs of bats like body oil stains, or large amounts of guano, or hear bats audibly either. This is what makes this type of work even tougher and more detailed. My first job I had primary entry points with 1 way tubes, at multiple locations around the home, though only 1 spot was witnessed by the owner as the "main exit." At dark that night I waited with my better half and what I saw showed me that I needed even more one ways. If I wasn't on the scene and noticed this I could have created a situation that was worse than just leaving the bats inside the roof/soffits.

I guess my point in all of that is that it sounds like you are on the right track, but definitely take your time on evaluating these and remember that more one way options around the house are better than bats being blocked and either being entombed or becoming a liability situation inside the residence.

Just .02, there are guys on here with way way more experience than I have and what I have gathered from them is take your time, be detailed and know that you are going to learn as you go, but be prepared for this to not be straightforward each time.

Justin

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread