ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Looking to start up my own ADC Business #3613395
02/04/13 12:36 PM
02/04/13 12:36 PM
Pa
R
Roaddawg Offline OP
trapper
Roaddawg  Offline OP
trapper
R

Pa
Are there any books out there that give a guy an idea of how to start up an ADC Business?

I know you can't learn everything from a book, but it may help me to get started.

12/13 Goals
Coons: 5/4
fisher: 1/0
fox : 5/4
Muskrat: 5/4
Beaver: 1/1
Mink: 2/0
Bobcat: 1/0
Re: Looking to start up my own ADC Business [Re: Roaddawg] #3613421
02/04/13 12:47 PM
02/04/13 12:47 PM
NM
H
HD_Wildlife Offline
trapper
HD_Wildlife  Offline
trapper
H

NM
Roaddawg - I've purchased most of the books out there and know that many folks (with some editing) could write their own
on how to do it. My opinion would be if you aren't finding the topic or question you have about a particular startup aspect
to ask the group. There are enough folks who are successful on here that I think you'll have a hard time finding a topic
someone can't answer, and if everyone agrees on referring it out, like tax advice (go to a cpa) or legal advice (get a lawyer)
the rest I bet most folks can fill in the blanks on.

Since everyone shares so openly the startup questions should be something you can get here, .info or LT's forum.

PM's will get you more info as well, for things some don't want in open forum where anyone from any walk of life can see
(though we rarely see a filter).

What questions are you having that are not commonly addressed? Feel free to PM me, while I'm only 2 years in, I've taken lots
of good advice that has worked out for me in my service area.

(edit - if you are talking techniques for day to day operation, stephen vantassels book, the basic operator course and some others
of that type.)

Justin

Last edited by HD_Wildlife; 02/04/13 12:48 PM. Reason: added
Re: Looking to start up my own ADC Business [Re: Roaddawg] #3613728
02/04/13 03:50 PM
southern Minnesota
BUD25 Offline
trapper
BUD25  Offline
trapper

southern Minnesota
Originally Posted By: Roaddawg
Are there any books out there that give a guy an idea of how to start up an ADC Business?

I know you can't learn everything from a book, but it may help me to get started.

If your serious about starting up, I urge you to come join us at the:

WILDLIFE EXPO in Tunica MS FEB 14th-16th

Bud's Nuisance Wildlife Removal LLC
www.budstrapco.com
www.trappinmoles.com
Re: Looking to start up my own ADC Business [Re: Roaddawg] #3613729
Six Mile, SC
cannonx4 Offline
trapper
cannonx4  Offline
trapper

Six Mile, SC
You found the best book out there, 46 pages of topics and 4 pages of archives. The best thing is, its free.

Upstate Varmint & Predator Control
Ronnie Cannon
Re: Looking to start up my own ADC Business [Re: Roaddawg] #3613970
02/04/13 05:47 PM
02/04/13 05:47 PM
Woodhull, Illinois 77
J
Jim Bethell Offline
trapper
Jim Bethell  Offline
trapper
J

Woodhull, Illinois 77
Really there are two different subjects there. How to do the work, catch animals, fix holes, etc. And how to run a business. Both very important if you are going to make it.

Re: Looking to start up my own ADC Business [Re: Roaddawg] #3615374
02/05/13 02:04 AM
02/05/13 02:04 AM
Tulsa ok
R
Richard w Offline
trapper
Richard w  Offline
trapper
R

Tulsa ok
I joined this forum and LTs middle of last year. I have almost read everything on here that wasn't a bunch of guys arguing back and forth. I started my business 4 months ago and I can honestly say I would not have started if not for Tman and Lt. And there are many mistakes I would have made if I didn't read about someone on here that already did it. smile

Re: Looking to start up my own ADC Business [Re: Roaddawg] #3615878
02/05/13 12:04 PM
02/05/13 12:04 PM
Pa
R
Roaddawg Offline OP
trapper
Roaddawg  Offline OP
trapper
R

Pa
Thanks for the info all. Who is LT and where is his forum?

I guess I am basically looking for the "How do I get started info".

I may have some people that need some beaver trapped off their creek. If they are interested, I may trap them for the pelts and maybe this can be a starting point. Word of mouth advertising can be a good way to start.

I mean, I will start small and try to build up as I go.

12/13 Goals
Coons: 5/4
fisher: 1/0
fox : 5/4
Muskrat: 5/4
Beaver: 1/1
Mink: 2/0
Bobcat: 1/0
Re: Looking to start up my own ADC Business [Re: Roaddawg] #3621326
02/07/13 03:24 PM
02/07/13 03:24 PM
North Wisconsin
G
Giardiasis Offline
trapper
Giardiasis  Offline
trapper
G

North Wisconsin
Roaddawg,I'm sort of in the same boat as you. I started doing a little ADC work here and there about 4 years ago. I was parked on the road side fur trapping for mink and coon and a truck goes past. The guy hits his brakes hard, throws into reverse....I'm standing there thinking "oh boy here we go" ! Anyway turns out the guy had a beaver problem, and wanted to ask if I could, or would trap them. SURE ! season was open, and I did it for free for the guy. Super nice guy, and SUPER easy trapping, whacked 7 beaver in two nights for him and he was thrilled. Next thing I know word of mouth got out and I got a call from the head of a lake association with a beaver problem....then a head of a home owners group for a buncha condo's and duplexes along a lake and stream bank...then a couple coon complaints...then a muskrat complaint here and there....I've been messing with this a bit each year for like I say four years. This coming spring I'm gonna make a real go at it, you know tax number, advertize and the whole bit. I'm desperatly looking for good info and starting to think about what I just may have gotten into. One thing I have learned and will serve you well is to keep a record of who you have done work for and their phone number especially doing beaver or muskrat work. Every spring right around ice out I give these nice folks a call just to check in and see if they have noticed any damage. All of them appreciate the call and I've done repeat work for some, and have picked up jobs through their referal for others because of that simple call. Also just a pre-warning i have learned that this can become a monster overnight usually in the spring. Just messing around with it, I'd do one job and before I knew it I'd have 10 other people through word of mouth waiting on me to come help them out. It can get crazy overnight and thats what really made me decide to go for it. Good luck and hope you find what you need

Re: Looking to start up my own ADC Business [Re: Roaddawg] #3625476
02/09/13 04:14 AM
02/09/13 04:14 AM
Tulsa ok
R
Richard w Offline
trapper
Richard w  Offline
trapper
R

Tulsa ok
Originally Posted By: Roaddawg
Thanks for the info all. Who is LT and where is his forum?

I guess I am basically looking for the "How do I get started info".

I may have some people that need some beaver trapped off their creek. If they are interested, I may trap them for the pelts and maybe this can be a starting point. Word of mouth advertising can be a good way to start.

I mean, I will start small and try to build up as I go.

LT is a pro that owns adc proboard forum.... A must!!!!

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread