ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Pigeon Trapping #3588409
01/25/13 04:12 PM
01/25/13 04:12 PM
Sacramento, CA
P
Paul James Offline OP
trapper
Paul James  Offline OP
trapper
P

Sacramento, CA
I have done pigeon trapping a many times very successful, but this latest one, I am having problems.

I always prebait for 1 week and then prebait with traps opened (not set) for another week and then I usually catch many pigeons. However this time it is strange. I cant get the birds to come down to eat. They are on a large power plant. I have the bait on the 3 story where there is a lot of droppings. The birds roost about 15-20 feet above, but they won't come down to try the bait. I know they could be eating somewhere else, but even with that they usually eat a little of my bait. In this case they are not even touching it. In all of the other cases, I have always trapped in warmer weather. I was going to put a decoy in the trap, but I dont even have traps out yet since I wanted them to eat the bait first before I set them. I tried newer bait with adding peanuts on top of the piles of seed that I spread out in three areas. Still after two weeks, there is no activity. There are probably about 100 pigeons up above spread out on the towers.

Any suggestions?

Re: Pigeon Trapping [Re: Paul James] #3588704
01/25/13 05:55 PM
01/25/13 05:55 PM
Chocowinity, NC
Phil Nichols Offline
trapper
Phil Nichols  Offline
trapper

Chocowinity, NC
Can you put the bait on their level or above?

Re: Pigeon Trapping [Re: Paul James] #3588745
01/25/13 06:09 PM
01/25/13 06:09 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
The only time I had your problem, I managed to get some traps at their level and solved it. Since I've only caught a few thousand birds and can hardly be considered more than a novice; my question is this: I have never prebaited, but have always caught at least one dumb one right away. Is there anyone else that feels that one stupid pigeon in the cage is just as good as prebaiting?

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread