ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Skunks! #3528218
01/02/13 12:03 AM
01/02/13 12:03 AM
central Michigan
J
Jesse lackey Offline OP
trapper
Jesse lackey  Offline OP
trapper
J

central Michigan
Hey guys, im not an adc guy, just want to trap some skunks. I figured who better to ask than you guys!

So, a few questions i have are, where do you usually find dens?
If cought in a coni will they usually spray? How often do they come out of the dens in the winter.

I guess the most important thing would be den location. I can figure the rest out lol. But any info you have would be greatly appreciated!

Re: Skunks! [Re: Jesse lackey] #3528633
01/02/13 09:17 AM
01/02/13 09:17 AM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
Skunks run a weather schedule like coon.Temps and weather dictate much of their behavior. Real cold snaps and snow will slow them down till the front passes. When it warms slightly or they get restless they will move.Skunks will start prepping for breeding season in the next few weeks and run into Feb. So activity will increase alot.

Being transients, skunk will den many places briefly then move along and some will have their regular ports in the storm along their territorial routes. With snow cover the denning sites should be easy to find following tracks and back tracking.

Re: Skunks! [Re: Jesse lackey] #3528658
01/02/13 09:43 AM
01/02/13 09:43 AM
West Michigan
G
Getting There Offline
trapper
Getting There  Offline
trapper
G

West Michigan
Jesse:
Why would you just want to catch skunks? :>)

To Old
U.S. Army 60-63 SGT.
Re: Skunks! [Re: Jesse lackey] #3529708
01/02/13 07:38 PM
01/02/13 07:38 PM
central Michigan
J
Jesse lackey Offline OP
trapper
Jesse lackey  Offline OP
trapper
J

central Michigan
$$$$$$$.

How many guys do you know that target skunks? How many people do you know who do all they can not to catch them, but still do?

There is obviously a healthy population of them, and with a market for the essence and fur why not?

Its also hard to find skunk essence for your line, so it will also supply my line.

Lots of guys put up weasels in numbers and they are worth just a couple of bucks!

Thanks for the info. Anything else you guys have to help would be great!

Re: Skunks! [Re: Jesse lackey] #3529891
01/02/13 08:41 PM
01/02/13 08:41 PM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
I like to catch skunks they are a valuable animal when you break down the total value of the fur, essence, fat, the empty essence pods and the fur.A good skunk can be worth $15 to $25 and more if you get the mother load of essence on some. I catch alot of skunks in Kansas each winter and set up any old homesteads and brushpiles I can find along the way. They are easy to skin and put up as well.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread