ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
customer service #3396264
10/30/12 07:40 PM
10/30/12 07:40 PM
the vally oregon
B
bluedogs Offline OP
trapper
bluedogs  Offline OP
trapper
B

the vally oregon
customer service is very important in our industry but for guys just gettin started and learning how to talk to new customers and more or less learning how to sell your self and business what are some tips that you vets could give in this field.

Re: customer service [Re: bluedogs] #3396290
10/30/12 07:50 PM
10/30/12 07:50 PM

D
DaveK
Unregistered
DaveK
Unregistered
D

Underpromise....then over deliver.

Re: customer service [Re: bluedogs] #3396448
10/30/12 08:49 PM
10/30/12 08:49 PM
somewhere in the middle of MT
D
DAVE SALYS-CWCP Offline
trapper
DAVE SALYS-CWCP  Offline
trapper
D

somewhere in the middle of MT
Treat them as you want to be treated in a retail situation or as a service provider coming to your home. BUT do not promise them the moon or anything that cannot be accomplished. DaveK kind of said it but I added a few more words.

Re: customer service [Re: bluedogs] #3396829
10/30/12 11:51 PM
10/30/12 11:51 PM
Lake Co.IL
Alpha Backflow Offline
trapper
Alpha Backflow  Offline
trapper

Lake Co.IL
Let them do most of the talking. Lisen to what they have to say. Even if they call you for a price and that the first thing they ask dont just say xx amount. Ask what going on whats getting damage ect. They called you try to keep them on the phone so they feel confortable talking to you.

Re: customer service [Re: ] #3397044
10/31/12 08:06 AM
10/31/12 08:06 AM
NM
H
HD_Wildlife Offline
trapper
HD_Wildlife  Offline
trapper
H

NM
Ditto Dave k and s!

Expectations can make or break you! If what you clearly offer is what you clearly deliver you have the best chance for success.

justin

Re: customer service [Re: bluedogs] #3405016
11/04/12 08:12 PM
11/04/12 08:12 PM
CT
R
RF Wildlife Offline
trapper
RF Wildlife  Offline
trapper
R

CT
Many of my clients tell me that they went with us because I took the time to explain what the problem most likely is, and how I could fix it. I take a bit of time on the phone getting as much info as I can. Taking time also lets you feel out the client, some you just know you do not want to work for. Talk is cheep gas is not:)

Re: customer service [Re: bluedogs] #3409906
11/07/12 10:36 AM
11/07/12 10:36 AM
Dudley NC
Muddawg Offline
trapper
Happy Birthday Muddawg  Offline
trapper

Dudley NC
Do what you say you'll do!

If you tell them that you'll be there at 2 o'clock, then be there at 1:55! Don't give them any surprises. If you quote 100 bucks then don't charge 125. When I give estimates, I estimate high. That way when the bill is figured and it comes in UNDER what I estimated, it looks really good on ME.

Make no guarantees unless you can back them up. If you guarantee that no more squirrels will be in their attic then when you go back to get the one you missed, don't charge for the return trip. It may cost you a few dollars now, but they will appreciate the service and call you back for other jobs. Not to mention they will recommend you to friends and neighbors.

Be professional! Don't jump around and holler like Turtle man. They'll think you are nuts and avoid you in the future. If you do exclusions, then learn something about home construction and design. Take a night class at your community college if necessary.

Help educate them about wildlife and what you do. Information is power and people like to feel that they are in control of their surroundings. This also helps to reduce their fears. I've found that snakes and bats are the most feared creatures we deal with. BOTH are highly beneficial to us but people have unreasonable fear toward them. Explain to your customer why a bat house in their back yard is a great idea. Get them out of the attic, sure, but try to sell them a bat house to keep them on the premises.

Offer multiple services. I do the trapping, exclusions, home repairs and even help hunters to have successful hunts. I build deer blinds, towers to set them on and even help the hunter set up his next hunt. If they want me to cut right of ways, shooting lanes and even plant food plots, I can and will do it all.

I also do deterrents. One great example is sulfur as snake deterrent. I explain to the customer why it works but at the same time make sure they understand that there are no guarantees and many feel it does nothing. I let them make up their own mind and I might lean them that way by saying, "If it doesn't work, it surely wont hurt anything.". You would be amazed at how many people tell me to "Go ahead and do it!" simply because it gives them some peace of mind.

And each service you provide is more money in your pocket.

But the biggest thing is to treat each customer with respect and courtesy. Practice saying "Yes Mam. No Mam. Yes Sir" and "No Sir." Smile a lot. DO NOT CUSS!!! That's a real customer turn off. Don't try to make yourself sound "smart". Just sound "Informed". Remember that each and ever customer is the "Boss". With out them.... We would be NOTHING!

Last edited by Muddawg; 11/07/12 10:37 AM.

Muddawg
Re: customer service [Re: bluedogs] #3409980
11/07/12 11:12 AM
11/07/12 11:12 AM
St. Louis area
D
Dave Schmidt Offline
trapper
Dave Schmidt  Offline
trapper
D

St. Louis area
X2 (except that the word is "Ma'am" - a derivitive of Madam, a title for a female adult)
One thing that can't be overstressed is basic manners. I see it all the time, and in business manners it's a cardinal sin: NEVER end a transaction without THANKING the customer!!
Have a good day, See ya next time, Alright then and We'll be talking to ya are NOT acceptable substitutes!

ALL OUT Wildlife Control
Re: customer service [Re: bluedogs] #3412078
11/08/12 09:57 AM
11/08/12 09:57 AM
Dudley NC
Muddawg Offline
trapper
Happy Birthday Muddawg  Offline
trapper

Dudley NC
Oh, I should have mentioned that. you are exactly right!

I start All my phone calls by introducing myself and end them with "Thank You for calling!"

Then at the end of the job, it's always, "Thank You! If there is anything else I can do for you then just give me a call."

Ma'am.... Okay. I'll file that away in my spelling dictionary....Thanks. At least it sounds the same. grin

Muddawg
Re: customer service [Re: bluedogs] #3416892
11/10/12 10:23 PM
11/10/12 10:23 PM
St. Louis area
D
Dave Schmidt Offline
trapper
Dave Schmidt  Offline
trapper
D

St. Louis area
Muddawg, you are way ahead of the curve; I am constantly amazed at the customer service personnel who don't say "THANK YOU".
Another thing is that whenever I am getting up from having signed the contract, or just before leaving the job, I'll ask "Do you have any questions?"

ALL OUT Wildlife Control
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread