I have been reading a lot of the old post on Mole trapping. Thanks MeTro-FS for the link.
I looked at every post. I found Steve Albano post interest. To set an out-of-site he just dug a sq. hole in the run, then sifted the soil back into the hole. The backfilled soil was filled to the top of the run then place the set OOS in the hole and placed the pan on top of the sifted soil or (blockage) Steve made sure the trap fit over the run. I have watched Reginald Murray Video tape several times.
We have very sandy soil. I have been useing Stave A. trap 100% of the time. I like them very much. We have very sand soil in my area. I get some digging around a false trips, some are vole for sure. In those cases with the dig around I will set the OOS. One thing
I have to work on is better trail choice, I see those feeding area and I jump on them, WRONG.! Most of my sets are dug down 3-8 inches. I will also be working with mounds next year. Also looked for LT Gray setters. I also put about 8 pair of setter for the OOS in the vise today and narrowed them up some. Will have to see if that help anything.
Ev.

To Old
U.S. Army 60-63 SGT.