ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
slow times #3386864
10/24/12 11:55 PM
10/24/12 11:55 PM
the vally oregon
B
bluedogs Offline OP
trapper
bluedogs  Offline OP
trapper
B

the vally oregon
well my buddy had his own business a couple years ago i was helping him out getting coons and what not well then for some other reasons he gave it up well i just resently took over his name and re opened everything i dont know if its cuz he didnt work for a year or what but it seems like it is taking a while for calls to come in i got all my paper work and insurance stuff lined out last month and so far have had one coon job im passing out business cards and posting them every were i can think of called a few of his old customers and did put in one bid for a commercial customer he us to have but so far nothing. he told me that when he started it it took a couple months before calls really started to pour in. just woundering how it was for you guys when you first started was it slow at first. the rain is finally picking up here so im hoping it brings some beaver and nutria work with it

Re: slow times [Re: bluedogs] #3387134
10/25/12 08:25 AM
10/25/12 08:25 AM
Finger Lakes Region, NY
Nic Pallo Offline
trapper
Nic Pallo  Offline
trapper

Finger Lakes Region, NY
Taking a name over can be hard. Friend or not, you don't know what kind of image you are taking over and what name he made for himself good or bad. You would be better off starting up your own gig with a new name. Thats my .02

Re: slow times [Re: Nic Pallo] #3387203
10/25/12 09:11 AM
10/25/12 09:11 AM
SW Missouri
M
Mike K. Offline
trapper
Mike K.  Offline
trapper
M

SW Missouri
I agree with Nic. Please assume that a previous business name may come with it's own problems and that this is no reflection on you or your friend. Keep in mind these possible scenarios: Sometimes the number has been disconnected or changed and prospects or previous customers may think the business has closed. There may also be some confusion when it comes to print advertising with a different person affiliated with the business name - perhaps an unpaid advertising bill may come into play and shut you out. Likewise there may be other unpaid bills and collectors may assume you are the same debtor and start contacting you. I built my business from scratch with no affiliation with any other company. However, when another WC company in my area went out of business and shut down I received a lot of calls thinking I was that person using a different business name. These calls lasted quite some time - especially the many complaining customers who were left on the hook after the phones were disconnected. There were many callers that left no message but the caller ID reflected the type of callers mentioned above. Remember that you are now the face of this business - good or bad. All the best to you and good luck in your new venture!

Re: slow times [Re: bluedogs] #3387391
10/25/12 11:56 AM
10/25/12 11:56 AM
Northwest, Oh
Tyson A Offline
trapper
Tyson A  Offline
trapper

Northwest, Oh
It took a while, I'm still not as busy as I'd like to be and I spend alot of money per month in alot of different places. Keeping what works, and cutting out what doesn't has been the big thing. Different forms of advertising work better in different areas. Being patient is tough at times, that's why I kept my other job. Word of mouth has been the best for me so far, and that doesn't happen overnight.They'll call eventually.

Re: slow times [Re: bluedogs] #3388355
10/25/12 09:20 PM
10/25/12 09:20 PM
Nashville, Tennessee
J
John Pearson Offline
trapper
John Pearson  Offline
trapper
J

Nashville, Tennessee
Besides business cards and previous customers, what type of advertising are you using ? Are you using his established phone number or a new one?

John
Re: slow times [Re: bluedogs] #3388496
10/25/12 10:17 PM
10/25/12 10:17 PM
the vally oregon
B
bluedogs Offline OP
trapper
bluedogs  Offline OP
trapper
B

the vally oregon
i have a new phone number. i am making up flyers and going around talking to other businesses like dairy farms and what not i am also gonna get a decal for my truck, im on facebook and will soon be in the yellow pages hopefully im planning on it at least.
i have also talked to parks and rec and the school district around as well and a couple golf courses. im thinkin the decal for the truck will hopefully help some so people know what i do when i drive by or am parked at the store.

Re: slow times [Re: bluedogs] #3388830
10/26/12 05:57 AM
10/26/12 05:57 AM
Nashville, Tennessee
J
John Pearson Offline
trapper
John Pearson  Offline
trapper
J

Nashville, Tennessee
Those are all good ideas. You might want to talk with your local pest control companies. Emphasize that you'll send the spraying work in their direction if they send you the wildlife jobs. That was a great source of work when I started.

Also a well done website with internet advertising works great in most areas. That's how I get the majority of my work.

John
Re: slow times [Re: bluedogs] #3389147
10/26/12 11:02 AM
10/26/12 11:02 AM
the vally oregon
B
bluedogs Offline OP
trapper
bluedogs  Offline OP
trapper
B

the vally oregon
ok thanks i will do those anything to get things going alittle bit.

Re: slow times [Re: bluedogs] #3390042
10/26/12 09:39 PM
10/26/12 09:39 PM
California
B
Baxter Offline
trapper
Baxter  Offline
trapper
B

California
Forget about the yellow pages. When you get your website and register/validate it with google they will send you a $100 gift card to use with google adwords. That is a pay per click advertising.
Also give Robb Russell a call he is good at keyword website stuff. Also advertise in craigslist, backpage, any free internet/print classifieds. Also register for Yelp and Angies list.
I have a landscaper that gives me very good jobs quite often and a few p.c. companies that send wildlife my way and I send them the chemical stuff. Another good trade to talk to is chimney cleaners, roofers, and just about any other trade that goes to peoples houses.
It took me two years to go full time. Like others have said, lose the other guys name, never know what he did or didn't do. If you have any questions about the google thing shoot me a pm.

Aaron

Re: slow times [Re: bluedogs] #3390951
10/27/12 03:27 PM
10/27/12 03:27 PM
California
T
Throw Back Offline
trapper
Throw Back  Offline
trapper
T

California
Originally Posted By: bluedogs
i have a new phone number. i am making up flyers and going around talking to other businesses like dairy farms and what not i am also gonna get a decal for my truck, im on facebook and will soon be in the yellow pages hopefully im planning on it at least.
i have also talked to parks and rec and the school district around as well and a couple golf courses. im thinkin the decal for the truck will hopefully help some so people know what i do when i drive by or am parked at the store.

Although I'm just getting into it myself, try talking to golf courses, they often need someone on call. Also talk to gated communities about trapper policies, see if you can get you name listed any time someone calls to complain.

Re: slow times [Re: bluedogs] #3395825
10/30/12 01:12 PM
10/30/12 01:12 PM
the vally oregon
B
bluedogs Offline OP
trapper
bluedogs  Offline OP
trapper
B

the vally oregon
so far keeping the business name is about the only reason im getting phone calls so i think i will keep the name and i did work with my buddy and helped him build the business, but i will talk to roofers and gated communities, i also need to learn more about customer service and talking to people LOL

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread