ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Nutria Seem kinda wimpy #3301557
09/01/12 04:44 PM
09/01/12 04:44 PM
south east michigan
P
Peskycritter Offline OP
trapper
Peskycritter  Offline OP
trapper
P

south east michigan
This animal must be a good one for the southern ADC trapper I'm sure of that . I guess the reason I don't have them up this a way is because they can't live under ice and need massive vegetation to survive . Looks like they cant handle heavy rain ether

Isaac dumps thousands of dead nutria on beaches
By Al Showers

Hancock County officials are scrambling to deal with thousands of dead nutria that washed ashore on beaches during Hurricane Isaac.

The dead swamp rats have started to stink and officials say that could cause a health and environmental hazard to people.

"They're in the tide and just floating in and they're probably going to continue coming in over the next several days," said Waveland Mayor David Garcia. "There's no telling how many thousands we're going to have."

Officials with the Department of Environmental Quality say so far they've counted more than 5,000 dead nutria rats on Hancock County beaches, but they say that number could top 10,000 before they all finish washing ashore.

You may recall Hancock County faced a similar Nutria problem after Hurricane Gustav.

"If you're out here, it's a terrible smell," Garcia said. "As this heat continues, they're just going to blow up and pop, making it even more of a health hazard."

County leaders have asked MEMA for help. They are hoping state officials will hire crews and pay for removal and disposal. If that doesn't happen, officials will have to contract out the job themselves.

"Either way, we've got a time frame that we need to get out there and get it taken care of," said Hancock County Road Manager Bill Johnson. "Regular debris can sit out there for a little while until we take care of it. Because it's such a large quantity of carcasses that need to be cleaned up immediately, we've got a short window here. They just get to the point where they are unbearable."

A decision on whether MEMA will fund the clean-up operation is expected Saturday morning.

Copyright 2012 WLOX. All rights reserved.

htt:// www.critterremovalmi.net
Free Trapper
Re: Nutria Seem kinda wimpy [Re: Peskycritter] #3301559
09/01/12 04:45 PM
09/01/12 04:45 PM
south east michigan
P
Peskycritter Offline OP
trapper
Peskycritter  Offline OP
trapper
P

south east michigan
The gators must be in rat heaven right now

htt:// www.critterremovalmi.net
Free Trapper
Re: Nutria Seem kinda wimpy [Re: Peskycritter] #3304359
09/03/12 05:30 PM
09/03/12 05:30 PM
Dudley NC
M
Muddawg Offline
trapper
Muddawg  Offline
trapper
M

Dudley NC
My theory would be that they died from the salt water pushed in by the storm serge. You know, fresh water drinkers can't live on salt water.

No great loss, though. There will be thousands more to replace them after they long've since wash away.

Muddawg
Re: Nutria Seem kinda wimpy [Re: Muddawg] #3305434
09/04/12 12:59 PM
09/04/12 12:59 PM
NM
H
HD_Wildlife Offline
trapper
HD_Wildlife  Offline
trapper
H

NM
Muddawg, thats a good theory, the other thing that kills lots of them is flooding out the younger generations in the bank runs. Same
thing happens to muskrats, folks forget that while they are semi aquatic, that doesn't mean that a massive flood event can't take them out.

What a mess!

Justin

Re: Nutria Seem kinda wimpy [Re: Peskycritter] #3310041
09/06/12 09:04 PM
09/06/12 09:04 PM
Coweta county,Georgia
csims723 Offline
trapper
csims723  Offline
trapper

Coweta county,Georgia
I was just thinking also if the tide is bringing them in possibly the storm surge going back out could have forced them out away from the safety of the banks. I would get tired swimming after a while....

Re: Nutria Seem kinda wimpy [Re: Peskycritter] #3354289
10/05/12 09:32 AM
10/05/12 09:32 AM
South Louisiana
Marshwalker Offline
trapper
Marshwalker  Offline
trapper

South Louisiana
I get $5 just for the tails (part of an erradication program with the gov) and $4-$8 for green fur.....would have been nice to be able to go with a pick up truck down the beach and pick um all up...but it wasn't allowed.. i know of a few people that tried and got shot down... would've been easy money!!!

South Louisiana bayou water runs through my veins.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread