ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Insurance: what factors determine how insurance? #3352155
10/03/12 10:55 PM
10/03/12 10:55 PM
Tulsa ok
R
Richard w Offline OP
trapper
Richard w  Offline OP
trapper
R

Tulsa ok
I assume part of this has to do with what area of ADC you will specialize in...
300k, 500k, 1 million in coverage?

Thank you for the input

Re: Insurance: what factors determine how insurance? [Re: Richard w] #3352201
10/03/12 11:12 PM
10/03/12 11:12 PM
SW Missouri
M
Mike K. Offline
trapper
Mike K.  Offline
trapper
M

SW Missouri
Risk, client requirements, potential for lability, affordability to name a few.

Re: Insurance: what factors determine how insurance? [Re: Richard w] #3352403
10/04/12 06:41 AM
10/04/12 06:41 AM
Dayton, OH
trapper4hire Offline
trapper
trapper4hire  Offline
trapper

Dayton, OH
I have multiple commercial clients that require 2M in commercial liabillity and 1M in commercial automotive insurance, so thats what i have, if you dont do work for many companies with requirements like this it may not be worth the extra expense.

Advanced Wildlife Managememnt
www.daytonwildlifepro.com
Chris O'Banion
NTA Life Member
OSTA Life Member
Re: Insurance: what factors determine how insurance? [Re: Richard w] #3352469
10/04/12 08:10 AM
10/04/12 08:10 AM
S/E Mich - N/W Ohio
On a Call Offline
trapper
On a Call  Offline
trapper

S/E Mich - N/W Ohio
I can you this...find the company that has a good claim reputation. I have seen big differances in company's.

Re: Insurance: what factors determine how insurance? [Re: Richard w] #3352849
10/04/12 01:04 PM
10/04/12 01:04 PM
Gainesville, Alachua, Florida,...
Robb Russell Offline
trapper
Robb Russell  Offline
trapper

Gainesville, Alachua, Florida,...
I can site several example of factors that determine how much insurance. Most of them break down into these categories.

1. Customer Requirements - $300-$600K is about right for most wco's. Some clients have required 1M, 2M,3M and 5M. A good insurance agent can add and sell you the additional coverage for a period you need it and you can cancel that 5M coverage when you no longer need it for that one customer.

If you are insured for $150K and you have coverage for 350K it will feel good but if you have 350K coverage and lose in court for 1 million that difference is coming from you. Something that is equally important is how you are registered as a business sole proprietor, LLC, or Inc and few states have the same laws so a local attorney or insurance agent can best answer these questions.

2. State License- Some states require insurance as a condition of doing business in that state. Check state laws.

3. Professional Association - My own state association FLWCA requires insurance and minimum insurance requirements and so does my National one.

4. Your own personal assets are probably the most important one. A good attorney will help you protect these.

5. Peace of mind. I have needed insurance three times and each of them was when I fell through a ceiling and I did some cosmetic or physical damage. Each of these jobs were less then $600 over the last. I reported the accidents, and got the ceilings fixed by their own carpenter immediately. Very little stress on me and on the the customer because they did expect a professional to handle this properly and I did.

Fifi may be covered for 1800K and not the 25k the client is suing you for replacement , mental anguish etc. When you have a insurance company you let their claims and legal department earn their money and let them handle it. This allows you time to run your business and not even worry because you have attorneys on your side that you could probably never afford on your own.

Fifi dying in a live cage (panic & had a heart attack) vs in a 220 4 hours after you set the job but maybe not as bad if Fifi was in a live cage out in the back woods off the customers property set by one of your employees two weeks ago and just found.

Any horror story you will appreciate having a good insurance company & their lawyer handling these things. Peace of mind.

Another factor is what you think is covered and what actually is covered.

A big one is firearms ask about whether or not they are covered and what are the actual limitations on the job.

Non target " pets " and using approved capture devices some policies cover whatever the state law allows and others may not even allow conibears , footholds, snare or restraint cables used on land. You need to know when you are covered and when you are not while out on jobs.

My point is a policy is not a number or an amount of coverage : you are buying specific coverage which should include the basic tasks you perform in your business. This is what you discuss with your insurance agent.

Not only having insurance but the right insurance can save your business , your family and all of your customers a lot of unneeded grief and has a dramatic effect on how the public will do business with you the business owner.

If you want to know some of the questions to ask your insurance agent listen to 30 year industry veteran Ron Jones "Jonesie" ask Gene Bell of Snow & Bell Insurance Agency discuss in detail how much insurance coverage you may need and the right questions to ask any agent about what is covered. Listen to them here.

http://recordings.talkshoe.com/TC-16456/TS-186015.mp3

Gene Bell will be serving up lunch at the Rondi this year stop by and ask him personally Oct 27, 2012 in Moultrie Ga or you can call or email him .Email: gbell@snowbellins.com 352-796-3594 ext 24

I also did an interview with Jim Pace with Best Buy Insurance and who exclusively offers wildlife control liability insurance for NWCOA members. http://recordings.talkshoe.com/TC-16456/TS-314482.mp3

Other insurance related podcast can be found here and a list of companies who sell wildlife control company related insurance. http://www.sitesbyrobb.com/all-about-how...ping-companies/

Find Our Podcasts @ http://www.thewildlifepro.net
Re: Insurance: what factors determine how insurance? [Re: Richard w] #3353996
10/04/12 11:37 PM
10/04/12 11:37 PM
Tulsa ok
R
Richard w Offline OP
trapper
Richard w  Offline OP
trapper
R

Tulsa ok
I feel like I just took a college class on insurance!!
You guys are awesome and I can't tell you how appreciative I am!

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread