ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
groundhog in town #3337085
09/24/12 01:14 PM
09/24/12 01:14 PM
Franklin county, Indiana
Hillbilly910 Offline OP
trapper
Hillbilly910  Offline OP
trapper

Franklin county, Indiana
got a young groundhog under a porch that needs removed.
Using a cage trap, whats the best course of action as far as bait goes? never caputred groundhogs in cages before, only bodygrippers.

Thanks

God created all men, but Sammuel Colt made all men equal
Re: groundhog in town [Re: Hillbilly910] #3337804
09/24/12 08:41 PM
09/24/12 08:41 PM

P
paul antczak
Unregistered
paul antczak
Unregistered
P

2 door cage trap works like a body gripper. Put it infront of the hole and block it down. Or put your body gripper in front of the hole and put some hardware cloth over it to keep out the dogs and kids

Re: groundhog in town [Re: Hillbilly910] #3338142
09/24/12 11:33 PM
09/24/12 11:33 PM
Northwest, Oh
Tyson A Offline
trapper
Tyson A  Offline
trapper

Northwest, Oh
I've done a couple of the same jobs this week, put a trap dead center where the holes at, then a trap on each side of the main trap facing the opposite direction. I've caught them coming out of the hole and also in the side traps trying to re enter. I've never actually used bait as to avoid non target animals. I don't have the experience alot of these guys have, but this method has been very successful for me.

Re: groundhog in town [Re: Hillbilly910] #3338226
09/25/12 12:29 AM
09/25/12 12:29 AM
south east michigan
P
Peskycritter Offline
trapper
Peskycritter  Offline
trapper
P

south east michigan
They seem to be wanting the peaches the best if I can keep my kids out them . Earlier they wanted apples . Ground hog urine and or droppings makes things.go quickly

htt:// www.critterremovalmi.net
Free Trapper
Re: groundhog in town [Re: Hillbilly910] #3338860
09/25/12 02:17 PM
09/25/12 02:17 PM
Franklin county, Indiana
Hillbilly910 Offline OP
trapper
Hillbilly910  Offline OP
trapper

Franklin county, Indiana
Considering the amount of gravel this bugger has pulled from under the foundation, i had thought about using a double-door as a blind set in his hole(only got 1 hole, found that odd), but i dont think i can get it to work right considering its location.

I had guessed fruit, but didnt know if there was something better. Only non-target im concerned with is skunk, that could be awkward...lol.
Appears he's either settled in for winter, or has relocated, no recent activity.

Re: groundhog in town [Re: Hillbilly910] #3339113
09/25/12 04:34 PM
09/25/12 04:34 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
Don't know about the normal workings of Indiana but in Wisconsin, one hole is normal. Now I'm just talking about connected holes. Most 'chucks have at least a half a dozen separate holes.

Re: groundhog in town [Re: Hillbilly910] #3340066
09/26/12 12:15 AM
09/26/12 12:15 AM
Franklin county, Indiana
Hillbilly910 Offline OP
trapper
Hillbilly910  Offline OP
trapper

Franklin county, Indiana
round here, established groundhogs always have at least 2 holes, most of the times more like 4-5.
you start digging out one hole, ground hog will pop out the other. This is especially true in pasture situations. Thats why once i found only one hole, with visual confirmation of critter, i came to conclusion of a young one who hadnt quite set up camp yet.

Re: groundhog in town [Re: Hillbilly910] #3340086
09/26/12 12:41 AM
09/26/12 12:41 AM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
Yeah, you may be right about established 'chucks in pastures. We don't get many of those. As soon as someone sees a hole being dug the telephone rings. They don't get a chance to set up housekeeping. Nearly all our calls are residences.

Re: groundhog in town [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #3340333
09/26/12 08:34 AM
09/26/12 08:34 AM
Rockingham Co. Va.
T
Tom T Offline
trapper
Tom T  Offline
trapper
T

Rockingham Co. Va.
I have trapped or snared quite a few G-hogs at a lot of different jobs and have found in my experience, males and females do not co-habitate, males or juvenile hogs only have one or two entrances, females have multiples, this is due in part to the juveniles instinct to dig,digging holes just to add holes. The female digs multiple entrances for escape and fleeing predator purposes. Males dig only enough holes for living and do not spend much time in burrows.
Everytime I find (in my area) one hole it is usually one male that are solitary animals, multiple holes, female and or young.

There are 3 kind of men. The one that learn by reading. Few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the elec. fence for themselves
Re: groundhog in town [Re: Hillbilly910] #3340362
09/26/12 08:51 AM
09/26/12 08:51 AM
Dudley NC
Muddawg Offline
trapper
Happy Birthday Muddawg  Offline
trapper

Dudley NC
Try this,

Cover your cage trap on both sides and top leaving the end so that you can see all the way through. It should give the appearance of a tunnel. You can use sticks, leaves, pine straw, grasses or what ever you have to dress the trap up with. Even cardboard will help. I've even seen shingles used for this. Just what ever to help darken the trap and give the tunnel effect.

Then hang some bait in the back behind the pan. Use a good chunk of bait in the trap and cut up small pieces and place a couple just inside the trap a piece or two just outside the trap and string a few small pieces from his hole or trail up to the trap.

The small pieces of bait near the trap will help him to be comfortable around it and when he sees the large piece hanging inside he will likely be more tempted to enter.

Cantaloupe makes a good bait for this. Apples, orange slices, peaches or most any sweet smelling fruit. Some will say lettuce, cabbage, broccoli, potato of any number of vegetables or green leafy veggies, but I like the baits with stronger smells.

I never use body grip traps where catching a pet is a possibility. If the cage trap isn't working, I prefer a soft catch foot hold trap set right in his trail or near the mouth of his den.

Good luck.

Muddawg
Re: groundhog in town [Re: Hillbilly910] #3340885
09/26/12 03:16 PM
09/26/12 03:16 PM
shirley,long island New york
R
rockintheocean Offline
trapper
rockintheocean  Offline
trapper
R

shirley,long island New york
I had a chuck job at the begining of the year.This chuck was digging wholes in a backyard.One hole was deep ,the others seemed to be attempts at other burrows and one hole just went stright down into a tunnel.I tried every thing from apples to strawberries .Caught squirrels, coons but could not get this chuck. Set up trail camera and had pics and all of it .Had three box traps .covered and all .Even did the body gripper in the entrance with hardware cloth covering it .I also found trails dug out under fence to neighbors yards.set up a funnel attached to fence right to trap ...still nothing .Did this for a month.Then i ordered some lure from a local supplier.Reset the traps with the lure trailing to them and a quarter head of cabbage in for bait .trailed the lure to each set.did this at 6 am one day ,went back at 7 pm and there it was in the trap next to the fence behind a shed.
The typical chuck burrow has a number of holes . In this case the main entrance was in the neighbors yard.This is why the body gripper didn't work . The wholes in the yard that I was trapping were all exscape holes. Even when the elderly man would see it from his door and come out the chuck ran back behind the shed .Never did it enter an excape hole .From what I have researched, The chuck can burrow up to 60 ft. with the main entrance the hole that has the pile of dirt in front of it.Exscape holes usually do not have a pile of dirt in front. this is because they pull the dirt through the tunnel to the main entrance .They also have one entrance hole that is called the plunge hole.this whole is just a hole ,looking into it you see its like its in the middle of a tunnel.The plunge hole was also in the back yard of thr place I was tring to trap. Being that it was close to the house ,and the chuck was spooked when it was father away from that hole it always ran for the fence.The chuck does not want a preditor to know where its exscape holes are. So they will not enter them ,only exit them when something fallows them into the main entrance.
To tell if a burrow is active ,fies are usually present around the main entrance as chucks smell.
ever since I use a trailing lure to the trap ,and now get my chucks in a day or two.

Re: groundhog in town [Re: Hillbilly910] #3341100
09/26/12 06:05 PM
09/26/12 06:05 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
Ever since I started using Comstock traps, I get my 'chuck in an hour or two.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread