ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Sick coons. #3322953
09/15/12 06:35 AM
09/15/12 06:35 AM
Ohio
D
D_Upchurch Offline OP
trapper
D_Upchurch  Offline OP
trapper
D

Ohio
Thanks Pesky for your rage virus post. It reminded me of a question I had.
Those of you who do a large quantity of coon skinning and gland harvesting.. What would you say the percentage would be of the coon with round worm or other parasites?

Probably not the right forum but, a coworker trapped a coon on a roof the other day and it was completely infested with round worm.
We always take necessary precautions but, just curious about the average numbers of infected.

I would rather fail at something I love doing than succeed at something I hate. -George Burns.

SIC DIS PARA PACA BELLUM
Re: Sick coons. [Re: D_Upchurch] #3323001
09/15/12 08:03 AM
09/15/12 08:03 AM
south east michigan
P
Peskycritter Offline
trapper
Peskycritter  Offline
trapper
P

south east michigan
I would say every coon has worms . Not sure if the worms your coworker found where round worm . I'm very hardcore when it comes the harvest of fur . I wouldn't do any skinning without rubber gloves these days . Theres been a few guys here in Michigan get very sick from skiining without gloves .

htt:// www.critterremovalmi.net
Free Trapper
Re: Sick coons. [Re: D_Upchurch] #3323486
09/15/12 04:56 PM
09/15/12 04:56 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
Now I'm not a vet so I only know what I've seen. The raccoons that had worms, had droppings that were crawling with them. Because I'm the same old guy that never heard of ear plugs, I never heard of gloves either. ( And I've skinned thousands ) Growing up on a farm, I'm sure makes the difference. I've never had any animal related diseases but I bet I given a few animals human diseases!

Re: Sick coons. [Re: D_Upchurch] #3324164
09/16/12 06:34 AM
09/16/12 06:34 AM
south east michigan
P
Peskycritter Offline
trapper
Peskycritter  Offline
trapper
P

south east michigan
I worked at a fur buyer growing up and none of us ever wore gloves . Good old bud Pruit of Pontiac lk rd cash money buyer back in the hay day . I can remember eating hambugers without even washing my hands first . Things have changed now and people are getting sick from skiining . We have much higher populations of animals now . Out traping all day you get your hands all cut up and then you skun rats half the night with open cuts on your hands not a good idea . it also keeps your hands clean . There's all different kinds of worms in animals . Moose get this nasty worm that looks like tadpole in its meat . We got one like that after my buddy shot the oldest moose in Ontario . We tried cutting it up real small and removing them things and then ground the whole thing up into burger but after two nights of that there was no way I could eat it . They pick it up after eating wolf crap and the wolf get it after eating moose . A vet needs a micro scope to see worms in dog crap . There not all large and can be seen by eye . All domestic animals get worms and need to be dewormed . I got my pup getter done water dog he came with worms and got real sick and wouldn't eat . They wound have killed him and after him craping in my house I never seen any worms . Took him to the vet they said worms .

htt:// www.critterremovalmi.net
Free Trapper
Re: Sick coons. [Re: D_Upchurch] #3324366
09/16/12 10:01 AM
09/16/12 10:01 AM
New York
P
ponyboy Offline
trapper
ponyboy  Offline
trapper
P

New York
I saw a seminar and the speaker said about 80 percent carry roundworm.

Re: Sick coons. [Re: D_Upchurch] #3324894
09/16/12 05:53 PM
09/16/12 05:53 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
So Pesky, you ever been de-wormed? Me neither. Talking about cuts and skinning; after a couple of hours in the skinning room, ( sorry Pesky, mine was not in the middle of the living room ) I got a little careless and cut one of my fingers. It wouldn't quit bleeding and made this funny popping sound when I opened and closed my fist. The doctor was East Indian and told me that I had cut a tendon and that HE WOULD TRY TO SAVE THE FINGER! I was on the operating table for a while. Stitches inside the finger and outside to close it. I developed a new respect for our friends from Calcutta.

Re: Sick coons. [Re: D_Upchurch] #3324934
09/16/12 06:16 PM
09/16/12 06:16 PM
Ohio
BBM Pres Offline
trapper
BBM Pres  Offline
trapper

Ohio
Keep in mind that the animal doesn't have to be infected to have the eggs on them. Just by walking through an area containing eggs any animal could have them attach to their fur. I'm sure Justin could give a better explanation of this along with how the parasite infects someone and the estimated number of infected. I've heard 80% -95% of the raccoon population has some sort of infection. My take is to just say 100% since the chances of dealing with a non-infected raccoon is less than dealing with an infected one.

It does make you wonder if the raccoons in Germany and Japan also are infected.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread