ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Bald face hornet take down live action #3308248
09/05/12 10:29 PM
09/05/12 10:29 PM
south east michigan
P
Peskycritter Offline OP
trapper
Peskycritter  Offline OP
trapper
P

south east michigan
Warning this is how my grand daddy showed me . Never seen anything light up his eyes like finding a hornet nest .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPkS7HjSqGg&feature=youtube_gdata_player

htt:// www.critterremovalmi.net
Free Trapper
Re: Bald face hornet take down live action [Re: Peskycritter] #3308682
09/06/12 08:43 AM
09/06/12 08:43 AM
southwest, VA
andyva Offline
trapper
andyva  Offline
trapper

southwest, VA
Gasoline speeds up the process considerably, as well as making it more dangerous, and cooler to watch.

Re: Bald face hornet take down live action [Re: Peskycritter] #3309021
09/06/12 12:08 PM
09/06/12 12:08 PM
NM
H
HD_Wildlife Offline
trapper
HD_Wildlife  Offline
trapper
H

NM
Originally Posted By: Peskycritter
Warning this is how my grand daddy showed me . Never seen anything light up his eyes like finding a hornet nest .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPkS7HjSqGg&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I wonder if turtleman can sue you pesky for using his tagline?

Re: Bald face hornet take down live action [Re: HD_Wildlife] #3309041
09/06/12 12:15 PM
09/06/12 12:15 PM
Illinois
N
Nightwing Offline
trapper
Nightwing  Offline
trapper
N

Illinois
My system is to go out at night and plug the hole with a foam gun then you can take your time either cutting it down and bagging it or with a little kerosene make it into a torch. Warning, make sure there is only one hole. smile

Re: Bald face hornet take down live action [Re: Peskycritter] #3309052
09/06/12 12:21 PM
09/06/12 12:21 PM
south east michigan
P
Peskycritter Offline OP
trapper
Peskycritter  Offline OP
trapper
P

south east michigan
It was out by the lake Rick and very damp . No chance of spreading to the house . I wouldn't try on a pine tree .the customer was very happy and her Kids amazed .the video will be on her facebook page and make my phone ring with help me calls .gasoline would have killed the grass and removed my eyebrows .pesky dosent play with gas after what happened. Had a 100% kill with that method and grand pa would loved it

Free Trapper
Re: Bald face hornet take down live action [Re: Peskycritter] #3309120
09/06/12 12:56 PM
09/06/12 12:56 PM
Dayton, OH
trapper4hire Offline
trapper
trapper4hire  Offline
trapper

Dayton, OH
Originally Posted By: Peskycritter
pesky dosent play with gas after what happened.

Dont tell me the biggest story teller on T-Man isn't gonna share this one with us?

Advanced Wildlife Managememnt
www.daytonwildlifepro.com
Chris O'Banion
NTA Life Member
OSTA Life Member
Re: Bald face hornet take down live action [Re: Peskycritter] #3311547
09/07/12 08:32 PM
09/07/12 08:32 PM
1st civ. Div. Wood County Wi.
M
Mike Flick Offline
trapper
Mike Flick  Offline
trapper
M

Working at night, you know all the bees are there. Plastic bag that one and clip the branch, fire pit or toss it in the woods and let them relocate themselves.

Re: Bald face hornet take down live action [Re: Peskycritter] #3312888
09/08/12 08:57 PM
09/08/12 08:57 PM
Florida
WTWC Offline
trapper
WTWC  Offline
trapper

Florida
All you need is a can of some aerosol/flammable spray and you'd be good to go!

Re: Bald face hornet take down live action [Re: Mike Flick] #3313122
09/08/12 10:53 PM
09/08/12 10:53 PM
southern Minnesota
BUD25 Offline
trapper
BUD25  Offline
trapper

southern Minnesota
Originally Posted By: Mike Flick
Working at night, you know all the bees are there. Plastic bag that one and clip the branch, fire pit or toss it in the woods and let them relocate themselves.

yep....

this guys an idiot... seriously, what kind of message does this give for viewers? When you get yours, Im going to be the first person to point and laugh...

Bud's Nuisance Wildlife Removal LLC
www.budstrapco.com
www.trappinmoles.com
Re: Bald face hornet take down live action [Re: Peskycritter] #3313137
09/08/12 11:00 PM
09/08/12 11:00 PM
M
Mike Flick Offline
trapper
Mike Flick  Offline
trapper
M

Jordan, he's no idiot, It's real possible that you could learn a few things from him, and I like his videos. I just threw that out there for anyone else who wants to get it done faster. I like to get it done fast quick and in a hurry.

Re: Bald face hornet take down live action [Re: Mike Flick] #3313165
09/08/12 11:12 PM
09/08/12 11:12 PM
southern Minnesota
BUD25 Offline
trapper
BUD25  Offline
trapper

southern Minnesota
Jordan, he's no idiot, It's real possible that you could learn a few things from him, and I like his videos. I just threw that out there for anyone else who wants to get it done faster. I like to get it done fast quick and in a hurry.

when in Rome.

www.budstrapco.com
www.trappinmoles.com
Re: Bald face hornet take down live action [Re: Peskycritter] #3313177
09/08/12 11:19 PM
09/08/12 11:19 PM
M
Mike Flick Offline
trapper
Mike Flick  Offline
trapper
M

The day you know it all is the day you start falling behind. I don't mind taking a tip from a novice as long as it works. I look at the hive like a bee swarm. (Of which I have done thousands) Not many honey bee removals here in Wisconsin though. I dont suppose there are many by you either Jordan.

Re: Bald face hornet take down live action [Re: Peskycritter] #3313665
09/09/12 11:14 AM
09/09/12 11:14 AM
St. Louis area
D
Dave Schmidt Offline
trapper
Dave Schmidt  Offline
trapper
D

St. Louis area
I consider Jordan to be a professional who can deal with a problem with a bit more insight than to holler "get 'er done!"
..open flame? bright light? thousands of mad, stinging insects? (and to that, add flammable, explosive gasoline??)...what could go wrong??

ALL OUT Wildlife Control
Re: Bald face hornet take down live action [Re: Peskycritter] #3313703
09/09/12 11:46 AM
09/09/12 11:46 AM
south east michigan
P
Peskycritter Offline OP
trapper
Peskycritter  Offline OP
trapper
P

south east michigan
Never talked about the killer attack wolf spider . I took the garbage bag holding the nest back up to the truck . Then went back down to just to double check to make sure I didn't miss any thing and there's big 50 cent peace size spider grabbing up the dead hornets . We had a stair down for a sec and I left him to it . I talked to the lady and she was talking about how there wasn't any hornets on the ground the next mourning ., that spider must have hauled away all the body's . Living in the bug world must short and filled with danger . The nice lady was still excited last night over how I removed the nest . I was there picking up a squirrel . She and her husband where showing people the video at there work places . All there co works just loved the video . I would expect to gain a few of them as customers . Come make a video at my house please . The squirrel job I did learn something on last night . I first baited the trap with peanut butter and bread and did have the first red squirrel that very next mourning . I reset the trap and baited with the same but also added whole black walnut because they where working well on a different job . This trap was right by the lady's bedroom window which she had been glued to . She claimed over the next couple of days the squirrels wanted nothing to do with it and this next squirrel was only caught because it was running from a different squirrel and just ran it the trap by mistake just to hide . I thought that's wierd and wondered why they didn't take the bait . I asked the lady where the squirrels where headed after leaving her home . She claimec right to the tree next to the house . So I take a look at this tree and it's a English walnut tree just plucked clean of the nuts .

What i took from it was there that narrow minded that there locked on English walnuts that they won't take a black walnut . The English walnut trees are not very common here and I've only seen a few . There are lots of black walnut trees around . I bet when there locked on the black walnuts they won't go for the English . Found two monster pear trees out back of her house and she said I'm welcome to them anytime . There's no pears here this year but next year ill be on them . They make great bait for squirrels and about everything . I was looking in the store and there 2 bucks a lbs . I wouldn't mind canning some because I love to snack on canned pears .

I reset the job with a funnel set and Multy catch trap and no bait . Which I would have done in the first place but I was told there was only one squirrel . Sounds like the house is just loaded . But seeing I took a little more time and made a better set there's most likly only one left now .

Free Trapper
Re: Bald face hornet take down live action [Re: Peskycritter] #3313738
09/09/12 12:08 PM
09/09/12 12:08 PM
M
Mike Flick Offline
trapper
Mike Flick  Offline
trapper
M

It sounds like you got it figured out Pesky. Now what did we learn from this?
1) Never trust a customers account of the population. Treat every job as though there is more than one animal in there.Do your own assessment
2) If a bait is working, don't shift gears.
3) Always set more than one baited trap.
Anyone want to add something constructive to this?

Re: Bald face hornet take down live action [Re: Peskycritter] #3313889
09/09/12 01:55 PM
09/09/12 01:55 PM
south east michigan
P
Peskycritter Offline OP
trapper
Peskycritter  Offline OP
trapper
P

south east michigan
The problem was it was dark and it was after a long long day . I always do gang set most jobs but not many traps left on the truck to much gang setting on other jobs I was looking to get something going to return the next day after there mole problem . I would normaly just put a trap right over the hole with no bait . I kept the same bait but just added a walnut . Theres one right over the hole with no bait know .I'll check that soon . I learn stuff on most days . I try to learn these critters ways of thinking on a daily . I try to figur it out why they did what they did . Red squirrel aren't smart they just get locked on a food sorce and that's what they want only . Must go with there need to hord nuts or pine cones . Coons do the same they get this coon trail going and will walk right by a good set at times . I truly enjoy trying new things new ways . I make mistakes and miss holes sometimes . I guess I will always do that . I try to keep a open mind and take things in . These older guys are hard to take sometimes but I've learned to shut up and listen . Some of the stuff they say just makes know sense but then someday down the road it sinks in and your really glade you showed them respect and shut your mouth and listen to them . I've also learned that some of it is just BS and there trying to get you to do something stupid . There just having fun with you and that's there payment for teaching you what they know . I've had some great old timers in my life over the years . I truly miss there storys and common sense . Old school agsive tec sure come in handy at times .

Free Trapper
Re: Bald face hornet take down live action [Re: Peskycritter] #3314747
09/09/12 11:17 PM
09/09/12 11:17 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
If Pesky is such an idiot, how come he knows what an English walnut tree looks like and I don't? ( On second thought, don't answer that )

Last edited by Paul Winkelmann; 09/09/12 11:18 PM.
Re: Bald face hornet take down live action [Re: Peskycritter] #3314880
09/10/12 05:56 AM
09/10/12 05:56 AM

D
DaveK
Unregistered
DaveK
Unregistered
D

It may be a white walnut...aka butternut. They are native to MI, but are not as common.

Re: Bald face hornet take down live action [Re: Mike Flick] #3316149
09/10/12 10:30 PM
09/10/12 10:30 PM
southern Minnesota
BUD25 Offline
trapper
BUD25  Offline
trapper

southern Minnesota
The day you know it all is the day you start falling behind. I don't mind taking a tip from a novice as long as it works. I look at the hive like a bee swarm. (Of which I have done thousands) Not many honey bee removals here in Wisconsin though. I dont suppose there are many by you either Jordan.

I concur. Publicly post a video of torching a hornet nest? thats the problem, lack of professionalism image....

www.budstrapco.com
www.trappinmoles.com
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread