ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Bats, Bats, & more Bats. (Pics Added) #3305060
09/04/12 06:35 AM
09/04/12 06:35 AM
Lower Michigan
Trapper Jon Offline OP
trapper
Trapper Jon  Offline OP
trapper

Lower Michigan
If I get one more Bat call this year I am going to go Batty! Not complaining but wow! I have excluded / evicted about 2000 this summer alone. Anyone have any suggestions on how to keep that creepy feeling away. Out of all the critters I deal with Bats give me the willies every time. I can usually shake it off but when they come out at dusk and you catch them out of the corner of your eye. They still make me jump. Usually gives the client a good laugh, and I have to laugh to. I do have one question for those wiht more experiance then I.

200 year old log home, I have filled every gap, closed every hole that I can find. And they are still finding holes.
I am thinking with this home I could fill holes until next year and they would still enter. I have evicted about 300 and I am down to between 30 and 50. Is there some thing I could use to evict the rest? A spray maybe? Any suggestions.
Thanks Jon

Last edited by Trapper Jon; 09/09/12 08:24 AM.

Jon Southworth
Convention Coordinator 2024
Your Kids are calling you; get off the couch and take them TRAPPING!

Re: Bats, Bats, & more Bats. [Re: Trapper Jon] #3305323
09/04/12 11:24 AM
09/04/12 11:24 AM
NM
H
HD_Wildlife Offline
trapper
HD_Wildlife  Offline
trapper
H

NM
Originally Posted By: Trapper Jon
If I get one more Bat call this year I am going to go Batty! Not complaining but wow! I have excluded / evicted about 2000 this summer alone. Anyone have any suggestions on how to keep that creepy feeling away. Out of all the critters I deal with Bats give me the willies every time. I can usually shake it off but when they come out at dusk and you catch them out of the corner of your eye. They still make me jump. Usually gives the client a good laugh, and I have to laugh to. I do have one question for those wiht more experiance then I.

200 year old log home, I have filled every gap, closed every hole that I can find. And they are still finding holes.
I am thinking with this home I could fill holes until next year and they would still enter. I have evicted about 300 and I am down to between 30 and 50. Is there some thing I could use to evict the rest? A spray maybe? Any suggestions.
Thanks Jon

Trapper Jon,

There isn't a spray or anything of the kind for dealing with this situation. Many people turn away from cabins or at least don't give the same customer expectations due to the building. This can be the same for old buildings that look like swiss cheese where excluding really means residing and reconstruction before you get close to something affordable or reasonable.

Can I ask you to clarify one point? You mention excluding a couple thousand bats this summer, were all of those in open spaces where you could see they weren't maternity colonies? I ask because many folks who may not have done bat work yet may end up on this forum first and it is important that bat excluders who want to solve the homeowners problem, while not harming bat populations in the process.

You may already take this into consideration, just asking for some clarification, since we have much discussion about maternity colonies on this and other forums and summer is a time when exclusion without knowing is a good portion of the colonies that are inspected.

On the cabin, I guess you can keep looking for exit holes and using excluders but if you are saying this place is likely never going to be sealed, you might be losing your money, ending up with an unhappy client and just simply not having a good situation.

Best,

Justin

Re: Bats, Bats, & more Bats. [Re: Trapper Jon] #3305501
09/04/12 01:59 PM
09/04/12 01:59 PM
mn
michael_obrien Offline
trapper
michael_obrien  Offline
trapper

mn
john,

almost all of my bat work is on log homes and ive gotten pretty keen on them really. how on earth are you coming up with those numbers? ive done quite a few bat jobs this summer but wouldnt even know where to start with coming up with how many bats, and couldnt care less either.

women like me because I rarely wear underwear, and when I do it's usually unusual.
Re: Bats, Bats, & more Bats. [Re: Trapper Jon] #3305744
09/04/12 04:34 PM
09/04/12 04:34 PM
Lower Michigan
Trapper Jon Offline OP
trapper
Trapper Jon  Offline OP
trapper

Lower Michigan
Yes my numbers are guesses, but when you see a house come alive at dark. There are a lot of Bats. Thanks for your imput, so far my client is happy. I may never get the house sealed up. But when I leave they will not be in the attic the way I originally seen them.

Jon

Jon Southworth

Re: Bats, Bats, & more Bats. [Re: Trapper Jon] #3306117
09/04/12 07:36 PM
09/04/12 07:36 PM
Dudley NC
M
Muddawg Offline
trapper
Muddawg  Offline
trapper
M

Dudley NC
I've got a bat job to do tomorrow.

All my books say September first for exclusions. These folks have been waiting patiently since May. But they remembered when the calendar rolled around and the man has left 5 messages on my machine today! shocked

I may have another coming up soon. A church in town with an attic full of the little winged mice.

I can't say that bats give me a creepy feeling of any sorts. I love to see them fluttering about knowing that the more bats there are around me, the fewer mosquito bites I get.

Couldn't tell you how to close up a cabin without seeing it but placement of bat houses could help. That will give them an alternate roost. Then, if it's legal where you are, moth balls in the attic might help. It wont hurt them but could irritate them into moving.

Good luck!

Muddawg
Re: Bats, Bats, & more Bats. [Re: Trapper Jon] #3306609
09/04/12 10:54 PM
09/04/12 10:54 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
As far as the moth balls go, I was in an attic that was literally solid moth balls. The bats moved to a part of the house where they couldn't smell them but the home owners came very close to moving out. This was done many years ago by a pest control company who's main office was in Minnesota. They were so bad that we finally ran them back to Minnesota but I can't think of their name, except it began with the letter B. Bud, Scott, Mike, anyone from Minnesota, remember?

Re: Bats, Bats, & more Bats. [Re: Trapper Jon] #3306671
09/04/12 11:30 PM
09/04/12 11:30 PM
Northeast Wisconsin
N
NE Wildlife Offline
trapper
NE Wildlife  Offline
trapper
N

Northeast Wisconsin
That is one smell I can't stand and in this business
You are around them all the time!

Re: Bats, Bats, & more Bats. [Re: Trapper Jon] #3306675
09/04/12 11:33 PM
09/04/12 11:33 PM
south east michigan
P
Peskycritter Offline
trapper
Peskycritter  Offline
trapper
P

south east michigan
Beavis and butthead bugs bashes. . Paul was that it .Moth balls are a 5,000 fine here in Michigan

htt:// www.critterremovalmi.net
Free Trapper
Re: Bats, Bats, & more Bats. [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #3306699
09/04/12 11:55 PM
09/04/12 11:55 PM
southern Minnesota
BUD25 Offline
trapper
BUD25  Offline
trapper

southern Minnesota
Originally Posted By: Paul Winkelmann
As far as the moth balls go, I was in an attic that was literally solid moth balls. The bats moved to a part of the house where they couldn't smell them but the home owners came very close to moving out. This was done many years ago by a pest control company who's main office was in Minnesota. They were so bad that we finally ran them back to Minnesota but I can't think of their name, except it began with the letter B. Bud, Scott, Mike, anyone from Minnesota, remember?

maybe Adams pest control?

Bud's Nuisance Wildlife Removal LLC
www.budstrapco.com
www.trappinmoles.com
Re: Bats, Bats, & more Bats. [Re: Trapper Jon] #3306729
09/05/12 12:22 AM
09/05/12 12:22 AM
mn
michael_obrien Offline
trapper
michael_obrien  Offline
trapper

mn
batproof.com maybe?

women like me because I rarely wear underwear, and when I do it's usually unusual.
Re: Bats, Bats, & more Bats. [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #3306754
09/05/12 01:00 AM
09/05/12 01:00 AM
NM
H
HD_Wildlife Offline
trapper
HD_Wildlife  Offline
trapper
H

NM
Had an exclusion at a condo where the owner insisted on putting a bowl full of moth balls in his attic after the exclusion was done even though prop managers were thrilled. I sent them all kinds of warning sheets on the health risks to no avail, currently you can't enter the condo without feeling short of breath, even on the roof I can smell it.

Leave the moth balls or napthalene on the store shelf!

Remember the word liability, the info is out there and so are tons of true stories.

Google health risks of napthalene, or better yet just read the back of the box!!!

Justin

Re: Bats, Bats, & more Bats. [Re: Trapper Jon] #3306766
09/05/12 01:34 AM
09/05/12 01:34 AM
south east michigan
P
Peskycritter Offline
trapper
Peskycritter  Offline
trapper
P

south east michigan
Originally Posted By: Trapper Jon

Thanks Jon
This sounds like a big line of BS to me . I find it hard to believe you have removed a twity bird

htt:// www.critterremovalmi.net
Free Trapper
Re: Bats, Bats, & more Bats. [Re: Peskycritter] #3306788
09/05/12 04:19 AM
09/05/12 04:19 AM
Lower Michigan
Trapper Jon Offline OP
trapper
Trapper Jon  Offline OP
trapper

Lower Michigan
Originally Posted By: Peskycritter
This sounds like a big line of BS to me . I find it hard to believe you have removed a twity bird

And there it is, the reason I don’t come on here very often. BS,,, you can call it what you want. I don’t have to prove myself to you! Really I may be new at ADC, but I am not a lair! I have never removed a twity bird! But as for a tweeding bird many of them. You Twit!

Jon Southworth

Re: Bats, Bats, & more Bats. [Re: BUD25] #3307435
09/05/12 04:08 PM
09/05/12 04:08 PM
SE MN
T
TraprMike Offline
trapper
TraprMike  Offline
trapper
T

SE MN
Originally Posted By: BUD25
Originally Posted By: Paul Winkelmann

maybe Adams pest control?

haven't heard of anyone around here using moth balls.

MN DNR Hunter Safety Instructor
MN DNR/MN Trappers Asso. Trapping Instructor
Re: Bats, Bats, & more Bats. [Re: Trapper Jon] #3307510
09/05/12 05:02 PM
09/05/12 05:02 PM
massachusetts
S
swampdonkey Offline
trapper
swampdonkey  Offline
trapper
S

massachusetts
Moth Balls ...Since when did this become a weapon of ADC ?? Can't wait to throw some of them all over someones lawn or better yet, maybe a 5 gallon bucket full sprinkled on a Beaver Dam !! Do Moth Balls come in spray foam ?? Pesky, Don't get excited ... I meant form , not foam !! Bat Spray,Moth Balls, Twity Birds ???

Joe Robidoux
Re: Bats, Bats, & more Bats. [Re: Trapper Jon] #3307552
09/05/12 05:17 PM
09/05/12 05:17 PM

D
DaveK
Unregistered
DaveK
Unregistered
D

Anyone know of a good moth's ball harvester?

Re: Bats, Bats, & more Bats. [Re: Trapper Jon] #3307573
09/05/12 05:28 PM
09/05/12 05:28 PM
Northeast Wisconsin
N
NE Wildlife Offline
trapper
NE Wildlife  Offline
trapper
N

Northeast Wisconsin
I don't get why ppl even buy them! I've seen them
Used and not work on, bats, mice, snakes,chipmunks,
Squirrels,raccoon,grinners,skunks,bees,pine squirrels, flyers
And any other rodent out there that a customer is having problems
With. Even birds in soffits!

Re: Bats, Bats, & more Bats. [Re: Trapper Jon] #3307578
09/05/12 05:33 PM
09/05/12 05:33 PM
somewhere in the middle of MT
D
DAVE SALYS-CWCP Offline
trapper
DAVE SALYS-CWCP  Offline
trapper
D

somewhere in the middle of MT
You know why they buy them? Because the internet says it works and there is no misinformation on the internet.

Re: Bats, Bats, & more Bats. [Re: Trapper Jon] #3307584
09/05/12 05:38 PM
09/05/12 05:38 PM
massachusetts
S
swampdonkey Offline
trapper
swampdonkey  Offline
trapper
S

massachusetts
X2 Dave

Joe Robidoux
Re: Bats, Bats, & more Bats. [Re: Trapper Jon] #3307585
09/05/12 05:39 PM
09/05/12 05:39 PM
1st civ. Div. Wood County Wi.
M
Mike Flick Offline
trapper
Mike Flick  Offline
trapper
M

1st civ. Div. Wood County Wi.
Ive only seen my customers failed attempts with moth balls. Ive never had a moth job, so no, Ive never used them. Even if I did, moths move around too much to make a lethal hit with one of them balls, then ya got the possability of a wounded moth lurking in the soffits waiting to ambush me.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread