ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
New pest control advertising for wildlife #3294705
08/28/12 10:48 AM
08/28/12 10:48 AM
Coweta county,Georgia
csims723 Offline OP
trapper
csims723  Offline OP
trapper

Coweta county,Georgia
I have two pest control companies that are advertising for wildlife removal. I have checked one guy with state and no license found. How would you guys go about handling rogue wildlife companies. I am not really worried about loss of business since most cases we recieve follow up calls to fix the problem after fly by night companies, but curious if I should contact dnr or let them get caught on their own? Suggestions

Re: New pest control advertising for wildlife [Re: csims723] #3294752
08/28/12 11:39 AM
08/28/12 11:39 AM
Coweta county,Georgia
csims723 Offline OP
trapper
csims723  Offline OP
trapper

Coweta county,Georgia
I take it by your silence I should let them take care of them selves.........

Re: New pest control advertising for wildlife [Re: csims723] #3294797
08/28/12 12:12 PM
08/28/12 12:12 PM
NM
H
HD_Wildlife Offline
trapper
HD_Wildlife  Offline
trapper
H

NM
I think every state has this same issue and it isn't just the pest control folks, there are a ton of unlicensed un-permitted wildlife operators as well.

Bottom line is that unless something flagrant happens and they upset a client, or they have a neighbor look over the fence or some such thing and
see their traps or gear and report them for some type of what they feel is abuse, they are not likely going to be "found."

I've never lived in a state where there were more than 1 game warden for tons and tons of space and lots of potential job duties to each.

So it comes back to you personally and how you feel. I think whatever you can sleep with is the most important. Many folks feel let them hang themselves though this is largely an empty threat.

You could always call each of them and discuss the permit requirements and try to put them on the right track. Check back in a month or so later and if they aren't in the system call them in?

Really everyone on here has probably mentioned this or been involved in a thread about it before, some don't want to burn someone else, some feel they will get caught on their own, and some don't worry about it.

I've talked to guys here in this state on the phone who told me they have been trapping and relocating raccoons and other wildlife all over the area to random locations for the last 20+ years and guess what....?

In my state that is illegal without a permit and only authorized locations are allowed for relocation if you do this type of work.

Best part, he was best buddies with the local franchise who does have a permit and does the bulk of the raccoon work, so this leads me to believe that most folks will never get caught unless they do something that causes damage to a home, person, property, or does something someone views as inhumane and calls them in and then they end up outed for not having a permit or license.

Hope that makes things clear as mud.

smile

Justin

Re: New pest control advertising for wildlife [Re: csims723] #3295132
08/28/12 04:10 PM
08/28/12 04:10 PM
Ohio
BBM Pres Offline
trapper
BBM Pres  Offline
trapper

Ohio
If someone is operating in a manner that is not legal you have two choices, either talk to them about it or report them. If you feel you’re not qualified to talk with them about the issue, report them so someone will talk with them. If you do give them a courtesy call and they continue to operate in that manner then you still need to report them.

In most cases, unless there is something very wrong with the situation (mainly animals dying in untended traps) all that will happen to them is a call from the regulatory officer letting them know the criteria they need to follow to do this type of work and telling them to become compliant. If you don't say anything then don't be surprised when nothing happens.

More importantly what this sets is the groundwork for action should they continue to provide services without the proper permits/licenses. The majority of overseers I know don't want to fill out all the paperwork required when there is a problem so they will give as much direction as they can before they come out guns blazing. If the company is stupid enough to not heed their direction, I think it then becomes a personal issue and they seem to go after those companies with a little more gusto.

An issue to keep in mind is that based on regulations, the license/permit may be under another individuals name instead of the company name so you may think they are not licensed when in fact they are. By contacting your regulatory authority about them, they can do the necessary research and it then becomes their responsibility to cover all the potential bases instead of you trying to do it with limited knowledge of the situation.

Re: New pest control advertising for wildlife [Re: csims723] #3295205
08/28/12 05:04 PM
08/28/12 05:04 PM

D
DaveK
Unregistered
DaveK
Unregistered
D

Great advice, Eric. Extending a professional courtesy is always a good way to build relations...but if non-legal matters continue it becomes a morale issue.

Re: New pest control advertising for wildlife [Re: csims723] #3295212
08/28/12 05:06 PM
08/28/12 05:06 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
Now you've heard a couple of opinions and I will give you mine. I have a very fine working relationship with all our neighboring law enforcement agencies. And I'm sure one day I will call them to report a law-breaking competitor; but probably not in my lifetime! Calling an agency on a competitor always means more scrutiny on you and your company.

While your competitor may never get a fine, you've just raised your chances by a whole lot! You are much better off calling your competitor and lying in your teeth. Tell him that some third party that you never heard of has threatened to call the authorities because they are protectionists and want to make sure he is licensed for all the terrible things he is doing to wildlife. ( To be truthful, I haven't done this either, but doesn't it sound effective? )

Re: New pest control advertising for wildlife [Re: csims723] #3295240
08/28/12 05:21 PM
08/28/12 05:21 PM
Ohio
BBM Pres Offline
trapper
BBM Pres  Offline
trapper

Ohio
Paul,

How dare you not agree with me...you're fired! No.... wait...., not until you've written a lot more articles for the magazine. LOL

I do disagree with you on this. Just because you've reported a potential issue does not mean you're automatically under the microscope. And even if you are so what? I've done nothing I'm ashamed of and I've done some stupid things just like anyone who's been around more than a couple of years has. But I've learned from them and if they want to fine me or take other action then so be it but I'm not going to keep my mouth shut because I'm concerned about what will happen to me.

In my mind, if it's come to the point of having to report a company and I don't I am just as much at fault so as they are.

Re: New pest control advertising for wildlife [Re: csims723] #3295251
08/28/12 05:27 PM
08/28/12 05:27 PM

D
DaveK
Unregistered
DaveK
Unregistered
D

Exactly.

Re: New pest control advertising for wildlife [Re: csims723] #3295261
08/28/12 05:35 PM
08/28/12 05:35 PM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
I'm so sick of seeing posts like this. It pains me to even comment since I have typed out several responses so far then deleted them.

It's a friggen waste of time to complain in this state, no one gives a [Please excuse my language... I'm an idiot]. I have for to long given our blessed DNR the benefit of the doubt and explained that they are understaffed and overworked but no more. I have met and talked with many in the dept. I fought alongside others in the turtle regulations to try and preserve some resonableness in the new regs, even after getting the exact perfect outcome for NWCOs in the very first meeting I held with it on the side of trappers and outdoorsfolk. The outcome was set in stone long before by the sorry no account idiots from Athens and their even dumber lackeys and bootlickers in the DNR. A more sorry and lazy bunch of worthless civil servants would be hard to find. Every penny spent on them is a complete waste of our taxpayer dollar and money thrown up a hog's [Please excuse my language... I'm an idiot].
When John Jenson looks can't even look me in the eye (does he ever look anyone in the eye) and tells me "it'll never happen" when I ask when is the state actually get out from behind the computer and do an actual in the field headcount of just how many turtles we have in this state told me all I ever needed to know. A bunch of college trained idiots IMO.
Not just the DNR is at fault either, the Georgia Trappers Association is as worthless tits on a nun or balls on a priest. During the entire two year process not a single representative of the GTA bothered to even show an interest and when I pressed them on it their representative said "it didn't concern them". When I detailed that it did concern members of the GTA and that it is called turtle TRAPPING I got the evasive response that it didn't involve fur trapping and as long as it was under the radar.......and that rep was a not only a trapper but a permit holder and NWCO himself, fact is a large percentage of the GTA are permit holders.
If you think your fellow NWCO gives a [Please excuse my language... I'm an idiot] then you might be better off to hold out both hands and see which ones fills up first. Well maybe not that bad but take it from one who has squalled and screamed and cried and fought your beating your head against a wall, save yourself a headache. I was the NWCOA state rep for awhile and was all gungho for it until I realized just how little people actually care. I sent off emails to all 47 members of NWCOA in the styate at that time, tried to call each and every one. Out of less than a quarter of all the licensed NWCOs in Geaorgia that bothered to join the professional organization I onlyu recieved three return emails and several very non commital phone conversations.
I've called my representatives in Atlanta, visited with a few even, and got all the normal platitudes of interests and concern but the one that struck me the most was my long time serving rep saying point blank "you're absolutely right and something needs to be done but it's an absolute waste of time to try this in this house".
I've even talked directly to Commissioner Black and outlined the problems with the PCOs. While I will continue to support Mr Black as he is the best thing that has happened to the Dept of Ag since the dinosaur retired, he's a cattleman and not an industrialist and the Structural Pest Control Board remains unchanged (hint, do a little background on promises made to remove a certain PCO whose company shares his name and his current position on the board) and will as long as that power hungry bunch of collaberators remain in office. Oh and don't even bother to call the board to complain about a PCO. It's either the NWCO is the aggressor or we don't cover that, been there done that.

csims, I don't know you but would like to. The fact that you have taken the time to get yourself licensed and permited and that this concerns you speaks well of you. If you are serious abouyt persuing this you have my support and I will help you. If you want to really get a feel for what the situation is give me a call sometime and I'll have you crying in your beer. Seriously, give me a call I like networking and helping out the good guys. I've come to the conclusion of screw the DNR our only hope in this state is if we help each other. In that light I want to ask you to come on down to Moultrie in Oct, I've been asked and I will entertain the idea of talking to all the gathered Georgia NWCOs and see what we can do in this state.

[Linked Image]
Re: New pest control advertising for wildlife [Re: csims723] #3295272
08/28/12 05:41 PM
08/28/12 05:41 PM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
Please don't let this thread get heated. I have made a personal decision not to let myself get that emotionally involved anymore it burns up energy better spent feeding my family.

[Linked Image]
Re: New pest control advertising for wildlife [Re: csims723] #3295337
08/28/12 06:33 PM
08/28/12 06:33 PM
southern Minnesota
BUD25 Offline
trapper
BUD25  Offline
trapper

southern Minnesota
throw them under the bus.....

Bud's Nuisance Wildlife Removal LLC
www.budstrapco.com
www.trappinmoles.com
Re: New pest control advertising for wildlife [Re: csims723] #3295374
08/28/12 06:47 PM
08/28/12 06:47 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
David, every complaint that is part of their job of enforcement, gets investigated by the county DNR warden. ( At this time, I am happy to point out that our county does not have a DNR warden. ) What this means is that our county does not have enough reportable violations to support a full time warden. This also means that if there is a problem, surrounding wardens will handle it.

Re: New pest control advertising for wildlife [Re: csims723] #3295731
08/28/12 09:32 PM
08/28/12 09:32 PM

P
paul antczak
Unregistered
paul antczak
Unregistered
P

When I started I went to alot of pest control companies to let them know I was available for wildlife control. A few said they did there own. So I just asked them what there ADCO number was. Then I would get the deer in the head lights look from them. Some of them refer me now

Re: New pest control advertising for wildlife [Re: csims723] #3295748
08/28/12 09:39 PM
08/28/12 09:39 PM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
Paul, maybe I should have clarified I'm not speaking of the rank and file conservation officers, they are underfunded and understaffed. We have to few to even think about ever having one of our jobs looked in on. Besides the deer, turkey and bass fishermen would squall if they thought officers were pulled off the poacher patrol.
It's the waste of oxygen biologists and non game side of the house that has me wanting to stage a one man taxpayer revolt. The worst thing that ever happened to wildlife management and conservation in this country was computers. I have yet to fathom just how computer modeling works when no one is willing to get their boots muddy.

[Linked Image]
Re: New pest control advertising for wildlife [Re: warrior] #3295807
08/28/12 10:01 PM
08/28/12 10:01 PM
Frankfort, Ky. USA
T
trapperpaw Offline
trapper
trapperpaw  Offline
trapper
T

Frankfort, Ky. USA
It could be that there pest control license covers them. I looked into this a few years ago. The definition of a pest on their license may include wildlife if it is violating a structure. I decided that F&Wlife was a reg. where I gotmy license and they had a statute thru the dept. of Ag. where they could work on pest in or on a structure. If I made an issue out of it F&W might decide to walk away and let Agriculture regulate nuisance wildlife. We are a necessary evil in many of our regulatory agencies eyes and they will turn us loose in a heartbeat.
The pest control people have more money and lobbiest. I think I would heed the words of Admiral Yamamoto and not wake a sleeping giant unless you have a pest control license.
If the pest control industry doesn't have road blocks preventing you from getting a pest control license I would do that.
You will take much more business from them than they from you.
Go to the statute that gives them their license and read the definition of pest. They may be able to prevent you from doing wildlife on or in structures.
I think Robb can say much more than me on this subject. A similar case was won in California buy wildlife operators but it took a lot of money and a very ethical attorney.

Sleep'n with an animal..I can help.
Do not use both feet when testing the depth or temperature of the water
Your Friend,
Paul Brooker
Re: New pest control advertising for wildlife [Re: csims723] #3295830
08/28/12 10:10 PM
08/28/12 10:10 PM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
I can speak for Georgia and say that a PCO license does not authorize a PCO to set traps for game, non game or furbearers a trapping license is still required. Our structural pest control act does allow a PCO to deal with birds, commensal rodents or squirrels that may enter structures but our game laws still require a license to set traps.
There is nothing in writing anywhere in this state that covers exclusion though.

[Linked Image]
Re: New pest control advertising for wildlife [Re: csims723] #3296053
08/28/12 11:35 PM
08/28/12 11:35 PM
1st civ. Div. Wood County Wi.
M
Mike Flick Offline
trapper
Mike Flick  Offline
trapper
M

Im with Paul W. on this one. We sorta police our own here in WI. Theres a reasion for that. If ya got something to say to someone, we just say it. Its much more respected than being a rat hiding in the shaddows.

Re: New pest control advertising for wildlife [Re: csims723] #3296117
08/29/12 12:01 AM
08/29/12 12:01 AM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
Mike, when you come down in October I hope you have time to visit both Georgia's. Our rondi will be down south in the real Georgia, probably very similar to your Wisconsin but a lot warmer. csims and I live and work in the other Georgia or Chicago South. A kind word to your neighbor is a wasted effort.

[Linked Image]
Re: New pest control advertising for wildlife [Re: warrior] #3296408
08/29/12 09:44 AM
08/29/12 09:44 AM
Waterford, WI
N
Nathan Krause Offline
trapper
Nathan Krause  Offline
trapper
N

Waterford, WI
Originally Posted By: warrior
Mike, when you come down in October I hope you have time to visit both Georgia's. Our rondi will be down south in the real Georgia, probably very similar to your Wisconsin but a lot warmer.

Yes it does David. On many occasions I can remember putting miles on my feet at Benning thinking about how much it reminded me of parts of Wisconsin.

Re: New pest control advertising for wildlife [Re: csims723] #3296464
08/29/12 10:30 AM
08/29/12 10:30 AM
M
Mike Flick Offline
trapper
Mike Flick  Offline
trapper
M

I spent a few months in Glenco when I was at the training center in 97 but didnt get off the compound much.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread