ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Flyers #3294679
08/28/12 10:13 AM
08/28/12 10:13 AM
Northeast Wisconsin
N
NE Wildlife Offline OP
trapper
NE Wildlife  Offline OP
trapper
N

Northeast Wisconsin
I usually trap n relocate are flyers here due to
The law! Does anyone treat them like bats and use
Exclusion methods or will they be like reg squirrels
And find a new spot to chew into house if they want back
In??

Re: Flyers [Re: NE Wildlife] #3294931
08/28/12 01:35 PM
08/28/12 01:35 PM

P
paul antczak
Unregistered
paul antczak
Unregistered
P

Treat them like bats! Absolutely. Every nook and cranny

Re: Flyers [Re: NE Wildlife] #3295028
08/28/12 02:51 PM
08/28/12 02:51 PM
Gainesville, Alachua, Florida,...
Robb Russell Offline
trapper
Robb Russell  Offline
trapper

Gainesville, Alachua, Florida,...

I have a few podcasts you may want to listen they contain a lot of help and guidance from Wpn Pod-Casters
http://squirrelremoval.us/podcasts/

Flyi8ng Squirrels 1 and 2, and the po9dcast I did with Paul Antcak --> Flying Squirrel Removal 2012.

Find Our Podcasts @ http://www.thewildlifepro.net
Re: Flyers [Re: NE Wildlife] #3295091
08/28/12 03:46 PM
08/28/12 03:46 PM
south east michigan
P
Peskycritter Offline
trapper
Peskycritter  Offline
trapper
P

south east michigan
Can't say I'm expert with flyers but there has been the southern flyer moving into my area . That's how I've been doing it with one way doors and so fare it's worked every single time . People are kinda tight lipped on here about flyers . I know one thing them things make a mess out of a attic and the Oder is very strong . Not some thing you would want to let go . you take 9 bats vs 9 flyers the flyers would win a damage causing contest . One thing I've found is if there's flyers most of the time there's bats . Like I said I'm learning this wonderful animal . They are also on are protected list so trapping would need a ok ahead of time .

htt:// www.critterremovalmi.net
Free Trapper
Re: Flyers [Re: NE Wildlife] #3295166
08/28/12 04:40 PM
08/28/12 04:40 PM
Ohio
BBM Pres Offline
trapper
BBM Pres  Offline
trapper

Ohio
In my experience flyers don't chew on homes anywhere near what reds or grays do. That doesn't mean that they won't chew as I've had it happen, just that they are not as likely to do so. If you're doing a flyer exclusion, there is a difference compared to a bat exclusion.

Bats do not have the tooth structure to create their own openings nor do the they the body physiology to push a lot of materials wedged tightly in place out of their way. Because of the flat skull bats have, they are able to fit through thin gaps in building materials other animals cannot fit through (3/8" x 1 1/4" for most adult bat species which an be easily shown to a client by taking a standard Bic pen and covering everything from the ball point to the Bic or USA crest on it). This means a bat exclusion can be done with building materials and techniques that block existing openings instead of using materials and techniques that prevent openings from being created.

Rodents, on the other hand, have a rounder skull along with the required equipment and physiology to create their own openings and move materials out of their way. This allows them to create their own access to a structure instead of having to have use existing access points. Basically, if a rodent can get their head through an opening their body will follow. So when doing a rodent exclusion you need to make sure to use products and techniques rodents cannot move, tear apart or want to move or tear apart.

The best solution is to combine both services into one service which is what a lot of individuals and companies are already doing. That way your rodent exclusion is just like a bat exclusion and a bat exclusion is just like a rodent exclusion. It is also a great selling point for why your service is better, even if it is more expense, than your competition.

Re: Flyers [Re: NE Wildlife] #3295174
08/28/12 04:48 PM
08/28/12 04:48 PM

P
paul antczak
Unregistered
paul antczak
Unregistered
P

Colony traps work great. But EVERY hole better be plugged before you set the trap. They will refuse if another exit is possible. Flyers do become cage shy after most all there litter mates have been caught. Then you need to change tactics rat traps, glue pads. What ever it takes to get the job done.

Re: Flyers [Re: NE Wildlife] #3295238
08/28/12 05:20 PM
08/28/12 05:20 PM
Northeast Wisconsin
N
NE Wildlife Offline OP
trapper
NE Wildlife  Offline OP
trapper
N

Northeast Wisconsin
That's what I do now, colony trap and fill all gaps that
Are bat sized and larger! Flyer calls are pouring in
So I want a faster paced method than having to check the
Colony everyday! Thanks for the info guys I'll try exclusion this
Week!

Re: Flyers [Re: NE Wildlife] #3295493
08/28/12 07:49 PM
08/28/12 07:49 PM

P
paul antczak
Unregistered
paul antczak
Unregistered
P

If all goes well thats as fast as your gona get imo

Re: Flyers [Re: NE Wildlife] #3298110
08/30/12 01:27 PM
08/30/12 01:27 PM

P
paul antczak
Unregistered
paul antczak
Unregistered
P

This lil feller was going in and out at the metal trim that covers the fascia on a metal roof. All ways set extra baited traps around the colony traps. You will pick up those rogue flyers that are comming but not sleepin there. I caught one of those 2 ft from this one. Client heard no activity last night. This one maybe done.
I found the hole when I scared them out from crawling on the roof repairing the ridge cap. I woke them up and out they came. That happens more times than not when your banging around on a metal roof.

Re: Flyers [Re: NE Wildlife] #3298163
08/30/12 02:21 PM
08/30/12 02:21 PM
south east michigan
P
Peskycritter Offline
trapper
Peskycritter  Offline
trapper
P

south east michigan
Nice picture . I like the back ground focus and the clear pic of the squirrel

htt:// www.critterremovalmi.net
Free Trapper
Re: Flyers [Re: NE Wildlife] #3298290
08/30/12 03:58 PM
08/30/12 03:58 PM
mn
michael_obrien Offline
trapper
michael_obrien  Offline
trapper

mn
ive taken a ton of flyer calls recently. the one way door works the quickest in my experiance but i ALWAYS set baited killer and live traps to get those that are already on the outside and just coming by for a visit.

i have some flyer-chewed accorns i grabbed off a job this am before i got rained out, ill take a pic of them and post it later.

michael

women like me because I rarely wear underwear, and when I do it's usually unusual.
Re: Flyers [Re: NE Wildlife] #3310200
09/06/12 10:12 PM
09/06/12 10:12 PM
Central NC
T
traprjohn Offline
trapper
traprjohn  Offline
trapper
T

Central NC
Will flyers go down into walls?

I don't find anything but old mouse droppings in the attic.

The lady says the small noises (scratching while moving/walking) are in the walls at times and ceiling others.

The noises are too loud for mice anyway.

The gable vents are secure as are the soffets.

There is no access from the basement.

www.sevenoakstrappingsupplies.com for trap mods and gear
The 10 Commandments are not suggestions.
Buy a soldiers meal EVERY chance you can.

Re: Flyers [Re: NE Wildlife] #3310242
09/06/12 10:31 PM
09/06/12 10:31 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
Hey Kasey, don't you just love living in a state where woodchucks and flying squirrels are on the protected list but you've never heard of anyone ever getting fined or arrested for shooting a woodchuck or trapping a flying squirrel?

Re: Flyers [Re: NE Wildlife] #3310373
09/07/12 12:02 AM
09/07/12 12:02 AM
mn
michael_obrien Offline
trapper
michael_obrien  Offline
trapper

mn
john,

yes, they go down into walls all the time~!

women like me because I rarely wear underwear, and when I do it's usually unusual.
Re: Flyers [Re: NE Wildlife] #3310398
09/07/12 12:16 AM
09/07/12 12:16 AM
Northeast Wisconsin
N
NE Wildlife Offline OP
trapper
NE Wildlife  Offline OP
trapper
N

Northeast Wisconsin
Ya I was looking at his pictures thinking how easy