ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
More Regulation? #3291290
08/26/12 01:35 AM
08/26/12 01:35 AM
1st civ. Div. Wood County Wi.
M
Mike Flick Offline OP
trapper
Mike Flick  Offline OP
trapper
M

http://arkansasmatters.com/fulltext?nxd_id=572742
I see new bees on the news all the time who get a camera in there face and think they can OWN the region with a 45 second clip. Basically they are the cut throat S.O.B.s that pretend they want more regulation to PROTECT THE CUSTOMER.
If they gave a crap about the customer at all, or the industry as a whole, they would be more active in the training of all WCOs at no cost at all. They would organize a local wco org. and help it along. How many of you guys feel what I'm talking about?

Re: More Regulation? [Re: Mike Flick] #3291293
08/26/12 01:41 AM
08/26/12 01:41 AM
NWWA/AZ
Vinke Offline
trapper
Vinke  Offline
trapper

NWWA/AZ
Sorry,,,,I am republican/survivalist and do not want the government to do "what I can do better'

PS Buy Platinum..................

Slightly used Shoes 4 sale……………
Re: More Regulation? [Re: Mike Flick] #3291306
08/26/12 02:38 AM
08/26/12 02:38 AM
M
Mike Flick Offline OP
trapper
Mike Flick  Offline OP
trapper
M

Personally I believe the guys see that there are others trying to get into the industry, and instead of nurturing the industry, they want to close the doors on the new guy, and make it hard for them to get in. Fees of 500 bucks to learn from someone who never climbed a ladder and compiled some info they read on line about bat removal is ridiculous!

Re: More Regulation? [Re: Mike Flick] #3291357
08/26/12 07:33 AM
08/26/12 07:33 AM
Ohio
BBM Pres Offline
trapper
BBM Pres  Offline
trapper

Ohio
Kind of curious what Critter Control's response will be since their name was used to help promote another company.

As for the industry not being regulated, everyone forgets how much regulation already exists and to request it as an excuse to stop the "fly by night" companies is ridiculous. That type of thinking is right along the lines of passing more gun control laws for those of use that already follow them to stop the criminals.

Most states require anyone charging a fee for products or services to register with the state at a minimum and follow fair business guidelines. Some states have additional criteria such as hunting and trapping licenses, sales vendor license, insurance qualifications, contractor qualifications, and/or have an actual nuisance wildlife program. If a certain company isn't already following these laws and regulations why are they going to start when more laws and regulations are added?

I really hope that some day soon the light bulbs will go off and people will understand that if individuals can't follow the current laws and regulations, then making additional laws and regulations will not magically make them law abiding qualified companies or individuals.

The only ones affected with more laws and regulations are the individuals and companies currently following them and that generally means higher prices for consumers so we can cover our costs to remain compliant.

Re: More Regulation? [Re: Mike Flick] #3291367
08/26/12 07:47 AM
08/26/12 07:47 AM
NH
S
sgs Offline
trapper
sgs  Offline
trapper
S

NH
Originally Posted By: Mike Flick
Personally I believe the guys see that there are others trying to get into the industry, and instead of nurturing the industry, they want to close the doors on the new guy, and make it hard for them to get in.

I agree with you Mike.

Basically they are the cut throat S.O.B.s that pretend they want more regulation to PROTECT THE CUSTOMER.

Mike, pretty much everyone here knows my feelings about regulations and the people who push for them. I wont get into it now. (edit: but I sure am glad that Eric did)

Fees of 500 bucks to learn from someone who never climbed a ladder and compiled some info they read on line about bat removal is ridiculous!

Ever hear the old expression, "Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach."? Fortunately, there seems to be a good supply of doers who also teach in this business. There's really very little need for compilers.

I'd really like to see a series of short books written about wco work and building repairs. You know, like the old Charlie Dobbins or Russ Carman trapping books. Eighty to a hundred pages for ten to twelve dollars, covering one aspect of the business. Several authors, offering books on the same topic, would provide good, solid information from several points of view.

They would be far more useful than the one size fits all textbook types.

Last edited by sgs; 08/26/12 07:51 AM.
Re: More Regulation? [Re: Mike Flick] #3291401
08/26/12 08:38 AM
08/26/12 08:38 AM
West, Mi
W
wiggler Offline
"Skunk Wrangler"
wiggler  Offline
"Skunk Wrangler"
W

West, Mi
^^^^^ I really like this guy... whistle

Re: More Regulation? [Re: sgs] #3291406
08/26/12 08:41 AM
08/26/12 08:41 AM
Ohio
BBM Pres Offline
trapper
BBM Pres  Offline
trapper

Ohio
Originally Posted By: sgs
I'd really like to see a series of short books written about wco work and building repairs. You know, like the old Charlie Dobbins or Russ Carman trapping books. Eighty to a hundred pages for ten to twelve dollars, covering one aspect of the business. Several authors, offering books on the same topic, would provide good, solid information from several points of view.

They would be far more useful than the one size fits all textbook types.

sgs,

This is something I'm working on compiled from articles published in WCT Magazine. There is almost 20 years of information there and I thought it would be great to organize it into small books by species and/or topic. I'm hoping to have something put together and out there by next years FTA and NTA conventions.

Re: More Regulation? [Re: Mike Flick] #3291569
08/26/12 10:38 AM
08/26/12 10:38 AM
Ohio
BBM Pres Offline
trapper
BBM Pres  Offline
trapper

Ohio
Encourage people send in articles and or photographs for consideration to print in the magazine or books. Because of all the different authors WCT Magazine has with its articles is why I wanted to make these compilations. That way it isn't one person saying this is how you do it for all the different situations that can be encountered in or out of a service area.

Re: More Regulation? [Re: Mike Flick] #3291839
08/26/12 01:27 PM
08/26/12 01:27 PM
M
Mike Flick Offline OP
trapper
Mike Flick  Offline OP
trapper
M

Kind of the way I remember FFG Magazine eh BBM?

Re: More Regulation? [Re: Mike Flick] #3291983
08/26/12 03:32 PM
08/26/12 03:32 PM
Frankfort, Ky. USA
T
trapperpaw Offline
trapper
trapperpaw  Offline
trapper
T

Frankfort, Ky. USA
I think that Josh blew it when he got such an oportunity to put his best foot forward and talk about what is good about his company he spent most of his time running down others. I see that happening on here sometimes too.
I agree with most that we already have enough regulation. If you don't do quality work you eventuallywon't get any and there are fraudlaws and civil remedies already. If you do what you say and say what you do and people agree then there isn't aproblem. If you say your going to do an exclusion and you screw metal over a hole for an agreed upon price is one thing. If you say you are going to do a repair and you screw a piece of metal over a hole for a big price people andthe current laws will regulate you. We don't need more.
I don't think Critter Control can do anything about someone using the words critter control when speaking of controling wildlife. You can't call your company critter control but it chaps me that some of them think you are not allowed to say critter control in a sentence. It is a good name for this kind of business but to say you can't use the words critter or critter control in a sentence is to much regulation.
Back on topic we don't need more regulations the people will regulate the industry. Most of the time govt. cant solve the problem because it is the problem.

Sleep'n with an animal..I can help.
Do not use both feet when testing the depth or temperature of the water
Your Friend,
Paul Brooker
Re: More Regulation? [Re: Mike Flick] #3292036
08/26/12 04:17 PM
08/26/12 04:17 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
I may have said this a hundred times before but I believe it bears repeating; Mr.Flick, and I and others live in a state that has probably the least regulation of any. And I think our state is a fine example of what sqs and Eric and others are talking about. Just because we have fairly intelligent rules governing our businesses ( including pest, wildlife, and bat control ) doesn't mean that we have a lot of complaints because of unscrupulous companies. As a matter of fact, I think it's just the opposite!

Re: More Regulation? [Re: Mike Flick] #3292042
08/26/12 04:22 PM
08/26/12 04:22 PM
Chocowinity, NC
Phil Nichols Offline
trapper
Phil Nichols  Offline
trapper

Chocowinity, NC
Mud slinging has been proven to work in political advertising.

CC will try to protect that name, usually by sending a threatening cease and desist letter as a first step.

Last edited by Phil Nichols; 08/26/12 04:28 PM.
Re: More Regulation? [Re: Mike Flick] #3292070
08/26/12 04:44 PM
08/26/12 04:44 PM
south east michigan
P
Peskycritter Offline
trapper
Peskycritter  Offline
trapper
P

south east michigan
Not all teachers can't some can teach and do . Example I went to building trades school for two year my teacher was there because his son and this freinds got drunk and hit a oak tree doing 70 miles hour . The fact he could do was he built 3 speck homes every summer and sold them making much more as a summer time builder than a teacher .he also hired us on and found us all high paying part time jobs when in school . People like this are a true asset to this county . giving back ,helping build young men even if we didn't understand him at the time . Falling us was not a option . If we falled he falled .
He also learned us book learning show us the book and then just basically throwing of to the side . Ok boys grab the tools I'm going to show the real world of home building . Chainsaw first step we need to cut down the trees before we dig the hole . The guy took us from a lot with standing trees to selling the finished home in a down market . How's that we built so the home could be heat and cooled for 500 ayear . What ever did happen to that anyway energy saving homes from the ground Up. A home that's a home inside of a home . Using solar heat . barrels of gel in the floors that hold heat from the sun . Window blinds on timers . This teacher is the exception I know that . Should have a hall of fame for these type teachers . Sure he broke some of the rules but rules don't always work because the people making these rules up don't understand that sometimes yes water does run up hill .

Homes are built by different stages of trades man and each stage must work together and allowing each stage to work . Example a heat guy and the Plummer will fight for space in the walls of a home to run there stuff well the designer of the home knows nothing about these trades his job is structsure . The Plummer is a really good at moving water and waist around the house but knows nothing about structsure so he will cut and place his pipes where need be leaving these rodent and bat highways . How are the bats getting from point A to point B well there you go . Not saying its the Plummer falt this is just a example and hardly ever something the Plummer did . Thats the framer and roofer working together mostly .

The framer has the hardest job and needs the most forsight to bring this altogether , he needs to first build this in his head foreseeing all the needs for all the other trades . How does he learn this because he has to go back and repair his framming after the other trades cut and bucher his work without cutting and destoring the other trades work . This could leave gaps for rodent highways .

Building materials are always changing some for the better some to save money . Some will be recalled and some do truly reinvent the wheel . The ones that are recalled might be except because they where installed voiding the warranty or people might not know there's a recall . These materials most likely are not holding up to weather and the animals just love this stuff . Fix a hole and they just swing there tail and there's a new one . Example enter lap siding face nailed is void of warranty . If blnd nail the home gets new siding for free .

Different builders . With the exception of these nation wide builders all homes are built different in different areas of the country . Sure local builder build different but all use the same trades man . They also spy on each other to see what's selling or working . Nation wide builder could spend a million dollars solving a warranty problem that costed them 10 mil the year before trying to fix . And come up with this weird way of solving the problem but causing a hidden gate way for bats and rodents . This gateway could even close behind them when they enter the home . Why would a nation wide want all there homes built the same coast to coast . For 1 they can send the same inspectors to sights all around the country . Same goes for there superintendents . Example puilty homes spent millions solving why the floor squeak . Final solution no more glue just wood to wood screwed 4" on center . Why would I even bring this point up . Because your working along on houses that are all basically built the same . Then you pull up on a house that looks the same from the road but behind the sidding or brick , roofing ect its a compleatly different built home with compleatly different weak spots .

. Roofing how many different types are there anyway . Same goes for the ridge vent it's all different . Seen this stuff the other day made me go and what where they thinking . Why are there gaps under the overhangs that laying on the roof . So the roofer can slide there singles under and not cut them in needed flashing .

Flashing or card flashing needs backing behind it . The framer installs this backing of wood but in tight small spots there no need forit because the flashing will just float right over it . This makes a flap door entery point that acts like a open close door for the little animals yes there's could be a rub mark here but if the flashing matches the color of the rub it's missed . Raccoon or squirrel could use this as a edge to get there teeth in and start a hole .

I guess I could go on and on because I have been there over and over year after year framming in homes . Just because the animals are getting in it doesn't mean the house was built wrong . Homes are built to keep weather out , heat in , there built to look good and the ones with these gaint roofs are built that way so they look bigger and the bigger the roof system the more problems with up keep and animal problems . Making a book that covers all this kinda stuff would be some feet . Home repairs and animal damage repairs are compleatly different

What is this guys problem I'm just geussing and most likely not true but could be the real problem . He is trying to expand to fast and needs to take a step back . He could have put three trucks on the road and was doing better with just his one truck . people do the math in there heads thinking wow Im doing good if I had more trucks I could really do good . Sorry it just does not work that way . Paying people to work for you is a hole different monster . It could be he had a worker quit and take his customers with him . Been there and that's a very hard thing to let go of . Sorry if people don't see this the way I do . This is just how I see things and I'm surly not saying I'm right about it

htt:// www.critterremovalmi.net
Free Trapper
Re: More Regulation? [Re: Mike Flick] #3292104
08/26/12 05:02 PM
08/26/12 05:02 PM

D
DaveK
Unregistered
DaveK
Unregistered
D

Thinking back....I have alot of teachers to thank.

Re: More Regulation? [Re: Mike Flick] #3292164
08/26/12 05:39 PM
08/26/12 05:39 PM
West Tennessee
D
doublesettrigger Offline
trapper
doublesettrigger  Offline
trapper
D

West Tennessee
Personally I believe the guys see that there are others trying to get into the industry, and instead of nurturing the industry, they want to close the doors on the new guy, and make it hard for them to get in.
x2
Rickey

Re: More Regulation? [Re: Mike Flick] #3292230
08/26/12 06:14 PM
08/26/12 06:14 PM

D
DaveK
Unregistered
DaveK
Unregistered
D

Personally, I think that there are already an abundance of barriers to entry. Plenty of people give it a whirl for a year, and then close up. It takes quite amount of ambition, organization, skills ( trapping, business, computer, marketing, legal) to be sucessful. Pesky may have a point about the struggles of having employees, but I do not know how the single person operations make it. I can not imagine working in the field for 12 plus hours, then doing the accounting, taxes, purchasing, etc. Fears of locking people out are unfounded...they already are. Otherwise the ADC industry would look like the landscape industry.

Re: More Regulation? [Re: Mike Flick] #3292570
08/26/12 09:16 PM
08/26/12 09:16 PM
NH
S
sgs Offline
trapper
sgs  Offline
trapper
S

NH
Originally Posted By: DaveK
...but I do not know how the single person operations make it

Ain't that the truth. You're woefully out of touch with the industry.

Re: More Regulation? [Re: Mike Flick] #3292657
08/26/12 09:50 PM
08/26/12 09:50 PM
southern Minnesota
BUD25 Offline
trapper
BUD25  Offline
trapper

southern Minnesota
http://arkansasmatters.com/fulltext?nxd_id=572742
they would be more active in the training of all WCOs at no cost at all. They would organize a local wco org. and help it along. How many of you guys feel what I'm talking about?

yeah right... PAY TO PLAY.... dont want to PAY... take a hike.

Bud's Nuisance Wildlife Removal LLC
www.budstrapco.com
www.trappinmoles.com
Re: More Regulation? [Re: Mike Flick] #3292768
08/26/12 11:09 PM
08/26/12 11:09 PM
Tama country IA
1st RiverRat Offline
trapper
1st RiverRat  Offline
trapper

Tama country IA
It seems to me that there will always be Greedy individuals that don't want anyone helped along. They prefer a roadblock for newbies most would like to see the old man down the street locked up for catching his neighbors possum that got in the cat food. There are plenty of free ways to learn now this forum as well as others have been around for yrs along with Robbs podcast. Most of these guys giving info out for Free are doing it for the better of the industry they are not profiting at all. If your advertising program is worth a hoot and you have been around long at all, your going to be too busy to take on all the calls your getting in the first place. Its nice to be able to say call this guy if your booked up, the caller will appreciate it. Not everything in life life should be about the all mighty $$. Most of these guys giving out info have been around for yrs and could spank us hard if they were in our area, they got their head on straight though putting the INDUSTRY above their bank account. Talking with several on all most daily basis you will find they are a happy and cheerful bunch of guys that don't have their undies in a knot like the guys that want to regulate the industry away from anyone but themselves.

Adam Utterback
Re: More Regulation? [Re: Mike Flick] #3293077
08/27/12 10:01 AM
08/27/12 10:01 AM
M
Mike Flick Offline OP
trapper
Mike Flick  Offline OP
trapper
M