Health Issues Forum

Home ~ Mission Statement ~ Trap Talk ~ ADC Forum ~ Trap Shed ~ Trap Chat
Trapper Tips ~ Links ~ Gallery ~ Basic Sets ~ Convention Calendar ~ Trapper's Humor
Fur Buyers Directory ~ Trapper's Tales ~ Words From The Past ~ Legends ~ Archives
~Catalog~

Topic Options
Hop to:
#3240528 - 07/24/12 02:12 AM Trapping-related Diseases
WAUrbanTrapper Offline
trapper

Loc: Western WA
I'm still a newbie but I have trapped coons, mink, muskrat, ermine, beaver and bobcat and I haven't always used rubber gloves while skinning. What trapping-related diseases and parasites should I get tested for at my next check-up? Which ones do I not have to worry about if I don't have unmistakable symptoms?

#3241947 - 07/24/12 08:43 PM Re: Trapping-related Diseases [Re: WAUrbanTrapper]
WeaselWoman Offline
trapper

Loc: East Tennessee
Rabies, Tetanus and Bubonic Plague are risks. You can get a rabies shot to prevent it, or if already tested positive for rabies you need to get many exposure shots. Rabies is transmitted from body fluid and air when an infected animal is shot in the head/spine area. Tetanus is preventable by a shot and Bubonic/black plague can come from skinning a bobcat that had eaten a rat sick with the disease, but luckly the plague is only a 16% death rate today instead of 100# way back in the old days.

#3277027 - 08/16/12 03:41 PM Re: Trapping-related Diseases [Re: WAUrbanTrapper]
charles Offline
trapper

Loc: NC Outer Banks
Rabbit fever, cat scratch fever. Some people get horny.

#3397339 - 10/31/12 10:27 AM Re: Trapping-related Diseases [Re: WAUrbanTrapper]
Beaver Cleaver Offline
trapper

Loc: Southern Burbs, MN
I wouldn't worry about getting tested for random things, you would have symptoms by now. Just make sure you are more careful going forward.

#3534255 - 01/04/13 02:44 PM Re: Trapping-related Diseases [Re: WeaselWoman]
neverfinished Offline
trapper

Loc: Northern CA
Originally Posted By: WeaselWoman
Rabies, Tetanus and Bubonic Plague are risks. You can get a rabies shot to prevent it, or if already tested positive for rabies you need to get many exposure shots. Rabies is transmitted from body fluid and air when an infected animal is shot in the head/spine area. Tetanus is preventable by a shot and Bubonic/black plague can come from skinning a bobcat that had eaten a rat sick with the disease, but luckly the plague is only a 16% death rate today instead of 100# way back in the old days.

Your rabies info is incorrect

#3534351 - 01/04/13 03:37 PM Re: Trapping-related Diseases [Re: WAUrbanTrapper]
white17 Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"

Loc: McGrath, AK
Actually it isn't incorrect. While blood and urine do not contain the rabies virus, the saliva does, as well as the brain and spinal fluid. It IS possible to inhale the aerosolized virus. That's one reason that the CDC and state health departments say not to shoot suspect animals in the head.

#3535587 - 01/05/13 12:08 AM Re: Trapping-related Diseases [Re: white17]
neverfinished Offline
trapper

Loc: Northern CA
Further Research suggest your correct. I'll have to check multiple sources in the future.

http://www.cdc.gov/rabies/transmission/exposure.html

While we are on the topic of rabies transmission further research on the tab of my previous link but under ''the path of the virus'' tab instead i found this...

Extensive studies on dogs, cats, and ferrets show that the rabies virus can be excreted in the saliva of infected animals several days before illness is apparent. Such extensive studies have not been done for wildlife species but it is known that wildlife species do excrete rabies virus in their saliva before the onset of signs of illness. The excretion of virus may be intermittent, and the relative amount of excreted virus may vary greatly over time, before and after the onset of clinical signs.

Would that indicate that we should never shoot these animals in the head or neck as their is always that risk or perhaps we just need to get checked after each season.

Its possible im being overly cautious, But the fact that rabies has such a long gestation period and by the time a symptom occurs your good as dead scares the bejessus out of me as i prepare to get my trapping license especially with coons as one of my primary intended targets.

Edited by neverfinished (01/05/13 12:09 AM)

#3773594 - 04/22/13 08:58 PM Re: Trapping-related Diseases [Re: WAUrbanTrapper]
Boco Online   content
trapper

Loc: james bay frontierOnt.
When trapping fox in an area with rabies present,shoot them in the chest and dont get any saliva on yourself.Hang them or let them lay at the trapsite for a few hours until the saliva dries out(the rabies virus in the saliva dies when the saliva dries).Handle with rubber gloves,and dont forget freezing preserves the rabies virus but it is killed with heat,or drying.
Any animal that has obvious signs of sickness should not be pelted.
Raccoons and skunks as well as bats are notorious rabies carriers.

#3819590 - 05/28/13 10:38 AM Re: Trapping-related Diseases [Re: WAUrbanTrapper]
Rocky Raccoon Offline
trapper

Loc: Chicago, Illinois, United Stat...
I actually have a blog on my website about diseases you can contract from raccoon scat. Be careful fellow trappers, our industry has many dangers the people are not aware of! Here is a link to my blog: Health Risks Raccoon Removal Chicago http://www.raccoonremovalchicago.com/blo...ngs-and-debris/

#3820818 - 05/29/13 12:52 AM Re: Trapping-related Diseases [Re: WAUrbanTrapper]
ksfowler166 Offline
trapper

Loc: N.E. Kansas
You could catch various worms from any mammal, lime disease from ticks, a not well known one is called rat catchers yellows, I can't remember the actually name. Can be caught from rats and has jaundice like symptoms. Unfortunately most people write it off as influenza.