ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Help with a problem chipmunk #3192830
06/19/12 06:24 PM
06/19/12 06:24 PM
Kentucky
TimsWildlifeCtrl Offline OP
trapper
TimsWildlifeCtrl  Offline OP
trapper

Kentucky
I have been working at this house for over a month and a half right now. I removed their mole they had called me for and am focused of a chipmunk that seems impossible to catch.

I use homemade bait that works GRAEAT for rodents. I have been using it with other chipmunk jobs 3 - 4 miles away from the customer’s home. I have tried using glue boards folded into a box, placed over the rodent’s holes. I have tried Bate Stations, with rat traps in them. I have, large squirrel, live traps that I used but with no success. I even made a box, with a hole on the top, made out of flashing, with a #110 conibear trap, placed on top of the holes... still nothing. I am about to try bobcat pee to see if that will push them into another territory.

Any help AT ALL would be appreciated. Thank you.

A county boy can survive! ~Hank Jr.~
Re: Help with a problem chipmunk [Re: TimsWildlifeCtrl] #3192960
06/19/12 08:07 PM
06/19/12 08:07 PM
Southern, Ontario
J
Jeremy Chalk Offline
trapper
Jeremy Chalk  Offline
trapper
J

Southern, Ontario
If you know what holes it is using you could try using a trap like the AES ground squirrel cage trap with the built in nose cone. Set when you know it will be in there. It has to come out sometime.

Re: Help with a problem chipmunk [Re: TimsWildlifeCtrl] #3192993
06/19/12 08:28 PM
06/19/12 08:28 PM
NH
S
sgs Offline
trapper
sgs  Offline
trapper
S

NH
I've never known a Victor rat trap with a dab of peanut butter, set in front of the hole to fail.

The problem we have up here with our big, northern chipmunks is keeping them where we catch them. I drill a hole in the middle of the trap and stake them down with a 40 penny nail. Sometimes we even have resorted to 14ga. wire and a 3/8" rebar stake.

Nothing worse than seeing one of those chippies heading down the road with a rat trap on them. wink

Re: Help with a problem chipmunk [Re: TimsWildlifeCtrl] #3193070
06/19/12 09:16 PM
06/19/12 09:16 PM
south east michigan
P
Peskycritter Offline
trapper
Peskycritter  Offline
trapper
P

south east michigan
Or the coons run off with the chipmunks and the traps ,need to tie them to something . I just blind set with rat traps making wall sets . And set around 8 safe guards 5 + 5 baited with peanut and bread around the house . As the catch goes down I just set less traps . Try using bread with your home made bait it's a great combo

htt:// www.critterremovalmi.net
Free Trapper
Re: Help with a problem chipmunk [Re: TimsWildlifeCtrl] #3193336
06/19/12 11:31 PM
06/19/12 11:31 PM
Saskatchewan, Canada
B
Brushblend Offline
trapper
Brushblend  Offline
trapper
B

Saskatchewan, Canada
Take one spring clip off a Victor rat trap to make the trigger sensitive. Drill a hole through a dry dog food kernel. Smear on some bacon grease, then push the kernel on to the trigger spear. Set the trap in an area frequented by Mr. chipmunk. Sprinkle dry dirt over trap to blend it in to the surroundings. Voila! Deceased chipmunk.

Re: Help with a problem chipmunk [Re: TimsWildlifeCtrl] #3193588
06/20/12 07:12 AM
06/20/12 07:12 AM
kent county, MI
B
bluebill Offline
trapper
bluebill  Offline
trapper
B

kent county, MI
Rat trap inside of a weasel box. I make the pan bigger with a peice of hardware cloth.

Re: Help with a problem chipmunk [Re: TimsWildlifeCtrl] #3193855
06/20/12 11:38 AM
06/20/12 11:38 AM
Kentucky
trapper
trapper

Kentucky
I use a piece of a Slim Jim wired to the trap pan, with my peanut butter bait on that. It lets them tug on the bait instead of just licking it off.

Good idea about using hardware cloth to make your pan bigger.

I am going to eventually buy a few of those small nose cone traps. I have a customer hiring me out for moles and she has a bad problem with chipmunks too. The thing is she doesn’t want to kill them. I have large squirrel live traps but it's hard to catch the small suckers in them. They just take the bait most of the time. Them small nose cones will work perfect though.

Re: Help with a problem chipmunk [Re: TimsWildlifeCtrl] #3195281
06/21/12 01:08 PM
06/21/12 01:08 PM
Kentucky
trapper
trapper

Kentucky
I found out why I have been having problems with chipmunks at this particular job. I checked my traps today with nothing... again. Found out that one of my bait boxes had been moved and set off. On inspection of the rat trap I noticed that the bait on top of the Slim Jim had been, clearly, eaten off (you could see teeth marks in the bait). The home owners had been disposing of the chipmunks themselves THE WHOLE TIME! I recon they didn't want to pay me. I pulled my traps today and they will be getting a bill in the mail soon... If they decide they want to pay it... Real frustrating.

Re: Help with a problem chipmunk [Re: TimsWildlifeCtrl] #3195477
06/21/12 04:00 PM
06/21/12 04:00 PM
south east michigan
P
Peskycritter Offline
trapper
Peskycritter  Offline
trapper
P

south east michigan
Originally Posted By: TimsWildlifeCtrl
I found out why I have been having problems with chipmunks at this particular job. I checked my traps today with nothing... again. Found out that one of my bait boxes had been moved and set off. On inspection of the rat trap I noticed that the bait on top of the Slim Jim had been, clearly, eaten off (you could see teeth marks in the bait). The home owners had been disposing of the chipmunks themselves THE WHOLE TIME! I recon they didn't want to pay me. I pulled my traps today and they will be getting a bill in the mail soon... If they decide they want to pay it... Real frustrating.
I've been there brother a few times and it just sucks that people are dishonest but we all meet are maker in the end . I've been trying to get someone to make me a locking cage trap that has a key for all my ground traps . Next time just flat rate your chipmunk jobs and get your money up front . people like that think there slick and will even brag about . Then they get these type of friends that rip them off and boy that's the end of the world . I have no need for dishonest friends or customers . Just soak it up and move on to the next job , the next one might just make up for that one , things have away of coming back around in a good way sometimes . It's better you did your job in a honest manner and got ripped of than the other way around

htt:// www.critterremovalmi.net
Free Trapper
Re: Help with a problem chipmunk [Re: TimsWildlifeCtrl] #3196876
06/22/12 05:28 PM
06/22/12 05:28 PM
Kentucky
trapper
trapper

Kentucky
Thanks man.