General Trapping Archive

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Catalog~

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Double Ferrules V.S. Annealed Nuts.... #317059
08/30/07 04:55 PM
08/30/07 04:55 PM
West Virginia......29 yo
bobcatmatt Offline OP
trapper
bobcatmatt  Offline OP
trapper

West Virginia......29 yo
I recently purchased some berkshire stakes and pre-cut cable. The cable came with annealed nuts instead of double ferrules. I've only used the double ferrules for my cable stakes, has anyone had any bad experiences with the annealed nuts? are they just as good as the double ferrules?

Just looking for some input.

Thanks
Matt

Re: Double Ferrules V.S. Annealed Nuts.... [Re: bobcatmatt] #317068
08/30/07 04:57 PM
08/30/07 04:57 PM

A
ADC
Unregistered
ADC
Unregistered
A

The nut actually hold better IMO. Try a couple and see for yourself. The aluminum will hold well enough but the nuts hold even better.

~ADC~

Re: Double Ferrules V.S. Annealed Nuts.... [Re: ] #317082
08/30/07 05:01 PM
08/30/07 05:01 PM
West Virginia......29 yo
bobcatmatt Offline OP
trapper
bobcatmatt  Offline OP
trapper

West Virginia......29 yo
I figured you would have some experience with them, I was looking for you to post, LOL, It was just one of those things i needed to hear from someone with some experience with them.

Thanks ADC, much appriciated.

Matt

Re: Double Ferrules V.S. Annealed Nuts.... [Re: bobcatmatt] #317089
08/30/07 05:03 PM
08/30/07 05:03 PM
southern W.Va.40 yrs old
fishdaddy Offline
trapper
fishdaddy  Offline
trapper

southern W.Va.40 yrs old
i think the nuts hold better cause they have threads on them and grip the cable better .

Re: Double Ferrules V.S. Annealed Nuts.... [Re: ] #317105
08/30/07 05:07 PM
08/30/07 05:07 PM
Duluth, MN
C
Clark Offline
trapper
Clark  Offline
trapper
C

Duluth, MN
 Originally Posted By: Andy Skwiat
Why don't they just use nuts then when they are actually using the cable under load when someones life is one the line??

I'm guessing that annealed nuts don't quite meet OSHA guidelines for such things...or that they have not been tested. But I think that is a different ballgame as you are looking at cable much bigger than skinny little snaring cable. Imagine trying to pound a steel nut onto 3/8" cable? And if it was doubled up how big of a nut would that have to be?

But back on topic I haven't experienced anything bad with annealed nuts or double ferrules. The nuts do seem like they would hold better as they are bulkier. If you're crimper is set up correctly I doubt you would ever see a difference in performance for trapping purposes.

Clark

Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen. -Albert Einstein
Re: Double Ferrules V.S. Annealed Nuts.... [Re: ] #317146
08/30/07 05:24 PM
08/30/07 05:24 PM
West Virginia......29 yo
bobcatmatt Offline OP
trapper
bobcatmatt  Offline OP
trapper

West Virginia......29 yo
Thanks for the replies.........I believe I'll give 'em a try and see what happens

Thanks Again

Re: Double Ferrules V.S. Annealed Nuts.... [Re: bobcatmatt] #317425
08/30/07 07:44 PM
08/30/07 07:44 PM
Mineral, Virginia U.S.A.
K
Krustyklimber Offline
trapper
Krustyklimber  Offline
trapper
K

Mineral, Virginia U.S.A.
When a climber falls, he can generate huge forces.
Much higher than any almost any animal can make, just by pulling.

When your life is on the line, equipment can have as high as a 3500 pound tensile strength. (*But some sketchy little pieces might only rate to 500 or so, so you do every thing you can not to fall on them).

It's not exact math, but you generate about one times your body weight in force, for every foot you fall. Up to about 85 feet, then it starts to level off as you reach terminal velocity.

Falling just a couple body lengths, I could snap the loop off a 3/32 snare cable like a shoelace.

We did some testing of hammered ferrules, and swedged ferrules, on 3/8th cable, with loops, circles, and "dead" ends. (*At a major climbing gear company's high tech "torture chamber")
The swedged ferrules had nearly 20% more strength than the hammered ferrules.
All of which far exceeded the amount of force my body could generate or handle.

In trapping, even the hammered ferrules and nuts, should be more than sufficient.

Fish,

I read that the threads inside the nut can be detrimental. Some people advocate running a drill, or a round file through, to take the "bite" out of it.
They can cut into some strands of the cable, weakening it at the point to which most of the forces are transfered.

Krusty

P.S. If I'd known about using machine nuts back then, we would have tested them too.
If I had to use the 200 ton press to get 'em flat, I woulda!

We had a saying at the lab, "One good test, is worth a thousand theories."

Last edited by Krustyklimber; 08/30/07 07:53 PM.
Re: Double Ferrules V.S. Annealed Nuts.... [Re: Krustyklimber] #317443
08/30/07 07:54 PM
08/30/07 07:54 PM
Michigan
Trophyhunter Offline
"Reformed Scab Picker"
Trophyhunter  Offline
"Reformed Scab Picker"

Michigan
serious question:

what is an annealed nut? what is the difference when you go to buy them? how do you know?

I survived the death clutch of Boss Hog, and am now here for my 3rd tour of duty on Tman

Re: Double Ferrules V.S. Annealed Nuts.... [Re: Krustyklimber] #317444
08/30/07 07:55 PM
08/30/07 07:55 PM
evansville Indiana age72
don Wolf Offline
trapper
don Wolf  Offline
trapper

evansville Indiana age72
I like the nuts better than the ferrels because they are much smaller in size and do not stand out as much.

Re: Double Ferrules V.S. Annealed Nuts.... [Re: don Wolf] #317504
08/30/07 08:48 PM
08/30/07 08:48 PM
Duluth, MN
C
Clark Offline
trapper
Clark  Offline
trapper
C

Duluth, MN
 Quote:

I've been looking for that bit of information for several years. Thanks Krusty.

Don - Are you hammering the double ferrules on or using a swager? Using a swager they come out smaller than when you started which is the big reason I switched over ferrules and paid for a swager. Just to have that smaller profile on my snares.

Clark

Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen. -Albert Einstein
Re: Double Ferrules V.S. Annealed Nuts.... [Re: Trophyhunter] #317544
08/30/07 09:08 PM
08/30/07 09:08 PM

A
ADC
Unregistered
ADC
Unregistered
A

Originally Posted By: Trophyhunter
serious question:

what is an annealed nut? what is the difference when you go to buy them? how do you know?

Annealed nuts have been heated and cooled to remove the temper and make them softer. It also softens the threads inside the nut so it does not cut into the cable breaking strands but rather just grabs on.

Guys hammer on a ferral and hammer on a nut on the other end. Pull it til something gives and see where the weak point is. My guess is the ferral will slip or the cable will break before the nut slips. Take some pictures and see.

~ADC~

edit: forgot to say tropyhunter, you can either buy annealed from a trapping supply place or make your own. Lynx Cat can tell you how to make them.

Last edited by ADC; 08/30/07 09:10 PM. Reason: added edit
Re: Double Ferrules V.S. Annealed Nuts.... [Re: Krustyklimber] #317570
08/30/07 09:23 PM
08/30/07 09:23 PM
Minnesota
S
Snareman Offline
trapper
Snareman  Offline
trapper
S

Minnesota
 Originally Posted By: Krustyklimber

My tests were actually higher than that, but there are so many variables to see a consistency, the testing procedures themselves would have to be scientific in nature. There are 2 kinds of double ferrule design. One has 2 individual holes connected with a marginal space between them. There is also a design that has one oblong hole that is big enough for 2 strands to be side by side. They tested differently. The tests also varied on what manufacturer's ferrules you used. Some aluminum was harder while some stock had thicker walls. You also have different crimper variances and this can sway results dramatically. How one crimps the ferrule makes a big difference too.(2 crimps? 3? 4?) You also have cable that is more greasy that others. This makes a difference on single stops.

I've found aluminum double ferrules crimped full to hold up enough to where the cable has broke before the ferrule slipped off, which was hardly ever.

Where snare men should consider using nuts to secure cable is when 1x19 cable is used. It's design being smooth is one reason why aluminum swaged doesn't hold well, but also there's no area for the aluminum to compress into. With 7x7 cable there are voids in which the soft metal can fill. This is why aluminum holds up so much more using 7x7. The striations of the 1x19 are so minuscule, the aluminum doesn't get a bite. No bite, no strength.

I've tested over a 100 swages, so I do have some data that I rely on. If you use the common size annealed nuts that are for sale commercially by trapping supply businesses, they'll suit most your needs using 7x7 when making snares, looped ends and disposable anchor contacts(loops)... and hold up to any coyote that you catch.(variances include how you make them, how much cable you allow to stick out and how much smashing you do)

If you have many cable connection jobs to do, swaging is much faster than hammer smashing... and that too depends on the swager and how efficient you are at using it. For the most part, nuts have their purpose and since a coyote won't fail either the nut or ferrule when done properly, it comes down to personal preference, money and time.

Snareman

Member NTA & MTA. Support YoungTrappers.com!
Re: Double Ferrules V.S. Annealed Nuts.... [Re: Snareman] #317578
08/30/07 09:29 PM
08/30/07 09:29 PM
Michigan
S
snowman Offline
trapper
snowman  Offline
trapper
S

Michigan
aluminum or copper ferrules ARE NOT rated for lifting.

Re: Double Ferrules V.S. Annealed Nuts.... [Re: ] #317799
08/31/07 01:29 AM
08/31/07 01:29 AM
Essex county, Ontario, Canada
KONAN Offline
trapper
KONAN  Offline
trapper

I remember seeing a post on how to make the annealled nuts, it had pics and descriptions on thow to strip the nuts, start some charcoal in a hole and put the wire of nuts in, cover wil coal and dirt. dig it up the next day and the nuts are annealed! It was a good post but I can't remember were I saw it! I will keep looking!

Joe
Re: Double Ferrules V.S. Annealed Nuts.... [Re: KONAN] #317803
08/31/07 01:34 AM
08/31/07 01:34 AM
Montana
mtbadger Offline
trapper
mtbadger  Offline
trapper

Montana
Hey Konan it probably went the way of the Lynx/Cat Trapper.. Just a thought....

Ordinary men can do extrodinary things....

Always looking for Bridger #3OS and 1.65OS
Re: Double Ferrules V.S. Annealed Nuts.... [Re: mtbadger] #317805
08/31/07 01:37 AM
08/31/07 01:37 AM
KONAN Offline
trapper
KONAN  Offline
trapper

seached it, and two other forums! I know I printed it off and took it home. I keep much of the things I think I will find useful in a binder for future reference in case of a crash!

Joe
Re: Double Ferrules V.S. Annealed Nuts.... [Re: KONAN] #317821
08/31/07 02:32 AM
08/31/07 02:32 AM
KONAN Offline
trapper
KONAN  Offline
trapper

If I find it I will try to post a link on here, but that likely will not be until Monday night

Joe
Re: Double Ferrules V.S. Annealed Nuts.... [Re: bobcatmatt] #317828
08/31/07 03:14 AM
08/31/07 03:14 AM
Homer, Alaska
Family Trapper Offline
trapper
Family Trapper  Offline
trapper

Homer, Alaska
Nuts Vs Alum ferules
This was copied from his the page above.

A word or two about building a good strong snare using steel nuts.

• I would like to start by mentioning the following. Here in Alaska we spend a considerable amount of time trapping and snaring wolves, wolverine and otter. These three animals are probably the toughest, most aggressive animals ever held in a set. The wolf, wolverine and otter will all do major damage to your set in attempt to free themselves. That is why our sets have to be built tough and built to kill quickly! Fact:
Hammered on steel nuts provide a much stronger hold than hammered on aluminum button stops. In fact, hammered on steel nuts proved even better than crimped on aluminum stops!
Note: See details below for "crimped systems". Also see page on "Using Swaggers".

Re: Double Ferrules V.S. Annealed Nuts.... [Re: Family Trapper] #318069
08/31/07 12:26 PM
08/31/07 12:26 PM
Duluth, MN
C
Clark Offline
trapper
Clark  Offline
trapper
C

Duluth, MN
I think that ultimately it depends on the individuals preference in making their own snare or cable stake. I'm sure bobcatmatt has figured this out by now...so to carry this further off-topic I have to say this:

I personally use double ferrules when the situation is necessary. I have avoided the hammered on nuts as they are a pain to assemble and look huge on a snare. Properly crimped I have never had a double ferrule fail on me. Nor have I ever had an annealed nut fail on me. In fact, I don't think there is a furbearer that would ever test the strength of either in a snare.

For me, the double ferrules hold very well and they look professional and clean. They are smaller when crimped on a snare and help my snares maintain a low profile when they are hung.

Clark

Re: Double Ferrules V.S. Annealed Nuts.... [Re: Clark] #318133
08/31/07 01:49 PM
08/31/07 01:49 PM
evansville Indiana age72
don Wolf Offline
trapper
don Wolf  Offline
trapper

evansville Indiana age72
Clark, I am using a swedger.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread