ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Mockingbird in Grocery store #3165442
05/20/12 12:28 AM
05/20/12 12:28 AM
Des Allemands, Louisiana
Budfish Offline OP
trapper
Budfish  Offline OP
trapper

Des Allemands, Louisiana
Today I went grocery shopping and there was a mockingbird trapped in the store. Poor thing was flying circles desperately looking for an exit. Store personnel were aware of it, but not concerned. I did not ask or get asked to take care of it. I know in a day or so, that bird is going to die. Actually thinking about asking if they would let me try to catch it for very little pay, but how would you catch a bird loose in such a big place with high ceilings? Only thing I can figure is traps and bait. Any other ideas?

Re: Mockingbird in Grocery store [Re: Budfish] #3165462
05/20/12 01:17 AM
05/20/12 01:17 AM
south east michigan
P
Peskycritter Offline
trapper
Peskycritter  Offline
trapper
P

south east michigan
I just set up squirrel size cage traps . Then bait them with what kinda food that bird likes . First I take a few min a figur out where the bird is at most then set there . Works for me . I havent failed on a job yet .

htt:// www.critterremovalmi.net
Free Trapper
Re: Mockingbird in Grocery store [Re: Budfish] #3165469
05/20/12 01:48 AM
05/20/12 01:48 AM
Des Allemands, Louisiana
Budfish Offline OP
trapper
Budfish  Offline OP
trapper

Des Allemands, Louisiana
Thanks man. Might give them a call today and offer a good deal. Hate to see that bird starve to death but aint gonna lose money on it.

Re: Mockingbird in Grocery store [Re: Budfish] #3165574
05/20/12 08:54 AM
05/20/12 08:54 AM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
A mist net attached to 2 telescopic poles with hooks taped or attached to each pole tip for easy ceiling hook ups, set up in a good interception position fly zone, would be the answer. It is best to have two men involved in a simple mist netting project for efficiency and quick removal from the netting upon capture.Every one needs to have a mist net set up in their vehicle ready for action as we get many calls for bird removal in various stores, particularly the larger box stores.

My experience with trapping structural birds particularly recently entrapped/enclosed birds is that it can result in a multiple trip project that requires more time and trips to take effect. Then some birds just dont cooperate as you think they should.Most mist netting projects for a few birds can be done in under an hour in most cases if your set up is done in the best flight zone.

Typically mocking birds are insect feeders and not easily baited not to forget that stressed birds usually wont feed much.Each bird is different when comes to different species as to the game plan at times.

Re: Mockingbird in Grocery store [Re: Bob Jameson] #3165647
05/20/12 09:54 AM
05/20/12 09:54 AM
Frankfort, Ky. USA
T
trapperpaw Offline
trapper
trapperpaw  Offline
trapper
T

Frankfort, Ky. USA
I agree with Bob 100%. I like to after setting up your mist net have a laser in your hand to keep him flying. He'll hit your net if you can keep him moving. One other thing I would add for sparrows in stores is the sparrow sled sold by WCS and thought of by Rick Shadel. Use it in your back yard as a bird feeder when you get a call shut the doors so you can catch a decoy bird. Set it in the store and the lonely sparrow will come to the trap and decoy most of the time.
Nothing works all of the time thats why sharing knowledge is so great.
I would call the store and offer to solve their problem. They need it bad maybe they just don't have the answer...you. I have never had a mocking bird so I would be careful offering a low price. He may end up mocking you and you might spend a lot of time on this job stopping it:-).
Dimming the lights, opening and lighting up the door might cause him to fly out.
Good luck on the mocking bird.

Sleep'n with an animal..I can help.
Do not use both feet when testing the depth or temperature of the water
Your Friend,
Paul Brooker
Re: Mockingbird in Grocery store [Re: Budfish] #3165760
05/20/12 11:35 AM
05/20/12 11:35 AM
south east michigan
P
Peskycritter Offline
trapper
Peskycritter  Offline
trapper
P

south east michigan
One thing bud fish if you look at OSHA rules you will see some on bird crap . Birds carry and spread about everything from fish eggs . Parasites . Disease .viris . Ect . Bird crap is nothing to play with . I see people all the time with these bird feeders and it makes me sick and money from the rodent work caused by it . Feeders kill more song birds than people will every know . It's not natural for birds to all feed in one spot like that . Birds with parasitic worm will not live long . It's spread from birds eating each others crap . Natures way to thin them out . Disease like pollorum ,coccidiosis ect will spread to every bird at that feeder I know time at all . If people want to help birds biuld nesting boxies . I tell people this all the time but they mostly look at me like I'm nuts . Atleast move the feeder around the yard . I like song birds i know you can't eat them but there still nice to look at and help with are insects .

Free Trapper
Re: Mockingbird in Grocery store [Re: Budfish] #3166264
05/20/12 06:22 PM
05/20/12 06:22 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
Pesky, I gotta go with Bob on this one. If you've never failed using your method it's because of one of two things. #1 You ain't done but very few. #2 They sure haven't been Walmart sized stores where they have more to eat and drink than the Garden of Eden.

Re: Mockingbird in Grocery store [Re: Budfish] #3166785
05/21/12 12:25 AM
05/21/12 12:25 AM
south east michigan
P
Peskycritter Offline
trapper
Peskycritter  Offline
trapper
P

south east michigan
I'm not sure how bobs stores are but mine around here have lights and exposed gerders , wires running every witch way . Heating and cooling pipes trunks running every which way . There's know way your going to chase them down with some net . Your ether going to shoot them down or trap them . If the store has a finished off drop ceiling then ya you could get your net . I have no problem trapping birds . I do have a problem not trapping birds . Reason number 3 why not to use bait when trapping squirrels

Free Trapper
Re: Mockingbird in Grocery store [Re: Budfish] #3166926
05/21/12 07:20 AM
05/21/12 07:20 AM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
Research mist nets, you might not be familiar with them. I thought most knew about mist nets. They are not a hand held netting system. They are large nets hung in flyways that the birds fly into the net, as it is almost invisible by nature. They are 20-30' wide and 8-10' feet deep ( they hang down that length ) with gussett pockets to help tumble the birds upon impact to enhance the entanglement. So there is no chasing birds with hand nets.You keep the birds moving or direct their flight by ground movement/telescopic pole or laser use until they fly into the net for removal.Very effective once you get a little familiar with their use.

Re: Mockingbird in Grocery store [Re: Budfish] #3168088
05/22/12 02:18 AM
05/22/12 02:18 AM
Central California
R
Rimrock1 Offline
trapper
Rimrock1  Offline
trapper
R

Central California
A friend uses a low power pellet gun and shoots them at night. This is in a big grocery store.

Re: Mockingbird in Grocery store [Re: Budfish] #3168255
05/22/12 09:28 AM
05/22/12 09:28 AM
NWWA/AZ
Vinke Offline
trapper
Vinke  Offline
trapper

NWWA/AZ
I use a magic flute,,,,,

Slightly used Shoes 4 sale……………
Re: Mockingbird in Grocery store [Re: Budfish] #3174475
05/27/12 01:14 AM
05/27/12 01:14 AM
Columbus, Oh
T
Toptrapper1 Offline
trapper
Toptrapper1  Offline
trapper
T

Columbus, Oh
I don't think I saw it in the thread but please remember you need a permit to deal with migratory birds outside of non-lethal harassment. I think the easiest way to remember what needs a permit at least on the Federal level is anything that is not a European starling, House sparrow or pigeon. At the state level you need to check with your DNR. The permit is easy enough to get and can probably fast tracked if need be for the sake of the bird. The permit application is available on the USFWS website (Form 3-200-13) . The bird could also be listed as a state T&E species so look into that also. Doing a job like this for a good price is a great way to promote business. Good luck

Re: Mockingbird in Grocery store [Re: Budfish] #3175022
05/27/12 02:23 PM
05/27/12 02:23 PM
S/E Mich - N/W Ohio
On a Call Offline
trapper
On a Call  Offline
trapper

S/E Mich - N/W Ohio
Shotgun !!

Re: Mockingbird in Grocery store [Re: Budfish] #3177150
06/07/12 02:52 PM
06/07/12 02:52 PM
St. Louis area
D
Dave Schmidt Offline
trapper
Dave Schmidt  Offline
trapper
D

St. Louis area
Had a house sparrow a coupla weeks ago in a 70,000 sf grocery store (yeah, that's seventy-thousand). 30' ceilings, open-truss rafters. No luck with traps - and I bought a sparrow sled just for that purpose. No indication that the bird even went to the traps.
Does a mist net work when you can't get it all the way to the ceiling or above the roof trusses? I would imagine the bird can fly above it. But then again, it can't really see a mist net. Your thoughts, please.

Last edited by Dave Schmidt; 06/07/12 02:53 PM.

ALL OUT Wildlife Control
Re: Mockingbird in Grocery store [Re: Budfish] #3177276
06/07/12 04:38 PM
06/07/12 04:38 PM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
Sparrows can take a long time in trapping them in structure settings. I have worked with nest bird box traps and other noted sparrow traps with minimal success. Even during heavy pest bird nesting periods in late March & April.They need time to adjust to new presentations. Not a quick fix with trapping in the traditional sense.

Mist nets can be positioned in a couple of noted flyways or you can direct/harass their flight considerably with laser pointers etc until they connect with the nets in a pre selected position.We use a pair of 16-19' foot extension poles in most cases to attach our nets to.You can devise a couple of hooks or strong magnets for the ends of the poles for attachment purposes to overhead areas or you can fasten them to the edges or ends of aisle when needed.

Many box stores or markets have roll around shelf access ladder stairs on site that you may also use for net attaching to attain higher positioning of the mist nets as well.

You dont need to be above the girders all the time as the flight will vary and in most cases the flight patterns will be just below the girder bottoms.I would however get as high as practical to connect with flight patterns.

Re: Mockingbird in Grocery store [Re: Bob Jameson] #3178084
06/08/12 01:08 AM
06/08/12 01:08 AM
Frankfort, Ky. USA
T
trapperpaw Offline
trapper
trapperpaw  Offline
trapper
T

Frankfort, Ky. USA
The sparrow sled only works if you have a decoy and then it is only a tool that works sometimes. The mist net is the best tool for your situation Dave. I think earlier in this thread Bob J gave a pretty good description of what would make them work about anywhere by hooking them to the ceiling gerders with paint poles and rollers made into hooks.
Wear gloves to remove them from the net. You will usually have an audience, who have named the bird and will hate it that you have either outsmarted the little (I'm an dumb butt and my parents never taught me much) or your persistance has paid off. Regardless when he/she clamps down in terror on your finger with that pecker sqweezing him is not an option at that moment. It's hard to grin and bear it but you must or your reputation will be ruined and you will forever be known as the sissy wildlife guy. The whole time remembering revenge is better served cold.

Your Friend,
Paul Brooker
Re: Mockingbird in Grocery store [Re: Budfish] #3178346
06/08/12 10:21 AM
06/08/12 10:21 AM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
Paul, I know what you mean about getting bit by those mean English sparrows. They carry switchblades. Why just yesterday I caught two of them in squirrel traps and by the time I got them out of the cage, I had to go to the hospital and have my arm reattached. About the only thing meaner than sparrows are those vicious butterflies.

Re: Mockingbird in Grocery store [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #3178361
06/08/12 10:30 AM
06/08/12 10:30 AM
Frankfort, Ky. USA
T
trapperpaw Offline
trapper
trapperpaw  Offline
trapper
T

Frankfort, Ky. USA
I knew when I posted that I was opening myself up to tough guys making fun of me. I am going to bring a Kentucky bred English sparrow to the next event I am going to see you. Don't panic when you feel the backside of your pants gapping for a second. You've got time to catch him before he works his way to the front. Then hopfully you get a finger bite if not.... I apoligize in advance.
Your mad about the opossum joke aren't you.

Your Friend,
Paul Brooker
Re: Mockingbird in Grocery store [Re: Budfish] #3178804
06/08/12 05:39 PM
06/08/12 05:39 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
Hey now, if you're going to cross them with those mentally retarded Kentucky thoroughbreds, all bets are off. The only things those nags know is racing and biting. I've been bit by enough horses to know when I've met my match. I'm going to bring along little bits to put in their mouth. That way if they bite, I can always pull back on the little itty bitty reins!

Last edited by Paul Winkelmann; 06/08/12 05:40 PM.
Re: Mockingbird in Grocery store [Re: Budfish] #3178929
06/08/12 07:27 PM
06/08/12 07:27 PM
south east michigan
P
Peskycritter Offline
trapper
Peskycritter  Offline
trapper
P

south east michigan
With them ears you got Paul seems like they would just light on your head