ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Possums in house need help #3157706
05/13/12 02:23 PM
05/13/12 02:23 PM
Eastern, NE
N
NETrapper402 Offline OP
trapper
NETrapper402  Offline OP
trapper
N

Eastern, NE
I've got some friends who have what looks to be quite a few possums in the house. There are feces everywhere in a tight space in the basement. There have been two killed with a pellet gun in the back yard and the dogs killed a baby in the back yard about a week ago. I set a cage trap on the side of the house, made a make shift cubby style set with a 160 in the tight space in the basement. Also took a couple of boards off of the deck and found what looks to be where they may be getting in the house put a couple of coni's there too. They are all baited with a combination of dog food peanut butter and raw honey.

If any one has any tips. I could sure use them. They are a real pain. I would appreciate any help

Thank you
Andrew

Member NFH
Re: Possums in house need help [Re: NETrapper402] #3157738
05/13/12 02:42 PM
05/13/12 02:42 PM
Eastern, NE
N
NETrapper402 Offline OP
trapper
NETrapper402  Offline OP
trapper
N

Eastern, NE
Ok will do I'm going to get some fishy bait for the cage. I will definitely keep everyone posted. This is my first "job" so it's going to be a learning experience. Thank you for all the help.

Andrew

Member NFH
Re: Possums in house need help [Re: ] #3157759
05/13/12 03:05 PM
05/13/12 03:05 PM
Frankfort, Ky. USA
T
trapperpaw Offline
trapper
trapperpaw  Offline
trapper
T

Frankfort, Ky. USA
I'm not a big fan of one way doors without catching the perpetrators but on oppossums I have found them to work good. An opossum doesn't tear a hole he takes advantage of anothers work whether human or other animal. After about a week with the one way door in place I put a piece of food behind it that can only be reached from the inside. If it is not disturbed for a few days fix the hole.
I prefer the tomahawk one way but I'm sure any with a spring load would defeat a opossum.
Or put a patterdale terrier in the crawl space and when he tells you that they are all gone fix the hole.

Sleep'n with an animal..I can help.
Do not use both feet when testing the depth or temperature of the water
Your Friend,
Paul Brooker
Re: Possums in house need help [Re: NETrapper402] #3157840
05/13/12 04:54 PM
05/13/12 04:54 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
The opossum ( There are two S's but only one P ) is perhaps the most single minded animal on earth. ( Except, of course, for the guy in the singles bar that had too much to drink ) If you put anything in the back of the cage that smells like food, sex, Glade, cigarettes, booze, or dynamite, you've got him! This is why I happen to be an opossum expert. How far is it from Milwaukee to Omaha?

Re: Possums in house need help [Re: NETrapper402] #3157886
05/13/12 05:42 PM
05/13/12 05:42 PM
Chocowinity, NC
Phil Nichols Offline
trapper
Phil Nichols  Offline
trapper

Chocowinity, NC
Paul B. - good method. However a crumbled up piece of newspaper as the tell-tale works for me. Food may be carried off by mice or bugs.
A flag can be rigged to the one way door to indicate activity (one time.)

Paul W. - tell us more about these "singles bar" places of which you speak.
All inner-city Philly critters have soft pretzel and cigarette butt in their diet.

Re: Possums in house need help [Re: NETrapper402] #3157917
05/13/12 06:16 PM
05/13/12 06:16 PM
Frankfort, Ky. USA
T
trapperpaw Offline
trapper
trapperpaw  Offline
trapper
T

Frankfort, Ky. USA
Phil,
I agree I got lazy typing. If you use food you do need to stake or tie it but the newspaper is the best.
I agree with you also on P.W. I don't think he read that stuff in a book it sounded more like experience.

Sleep'n with an animal..I can help.
Do not use both feet when testing the depth or temperature of the water
Your Friend,
Paul Brooker
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread