ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Youtube videos [Re: ] #3110816
04/07/12 03:04 PM
04/07/12 03:04 PM
NWWA/AZ
Vinke Online content
trapper
Vinke  Online Content
trapper

NWWA/AZ
Pesky
,,,,,water runs down hill........

Slightly used Shoes 4 sale,,,,,,May special,,, Act Now... Free Sock with every purchase
Re: Youtube videos [Re: ] #3110950
04/07/12 05:01 PM
04/07/12 05:01 PM
Missouri
MoFarmBoy Offline
trapper
MoFarmBoy  Offline
trapper

Missouri
First:
Originally Posted By: Peskycritter
I haven't Got one single job from posting on YouTube
Then:No offense, but I think I know why.

As for why trappers post Youtube videos, I believe most, but not all, fall into one of two camps:

Commercial Self-promotion
Usually in the guise of edification, they present the subject warmly and professionally, while marketing their product(s) or service. Often, the videos are more slickly produced, the presenters groomed, and the language more grammatically correct. Emphasis is placed on the intended results (e.g., clean lawn, before/after roof damage shots) rather than caged or dead animals with bared teeth.

Attention-seeking
Unabashedly simplistic, these types often appear boastful and seem to revel in the chase and display of captured prey or even blood. It is my assertion they are seeking acceptance of some sort, or see their videos as a means of gaining respect, though their often disheveled appearance and obvious braggadocio may dissuade the more astute viewer.

And K9, FWIW, I rank profesional elements' importance pyramid-style, in order of expected contact:

1. Appearance, which includes both personal presentation and professionally presented ads and printed materials. Since this is often the first impression, it ranks highest on my list. I think we would all cringe if we knew the number of potential clients repelled by typos, kitschy layouts, or campy photos.
2. Proper phone etiquette. Respectful, considerate, and timely replies are a signal of the quality of work to follow. Saying, as a former associate of mine once did, "Can I call you back? I'm in the bathroom" is unacceptable.
3. Under-promise and over-produce. Make no claims using superlatives. There are always exceptions. smile
4. And last, leave the site looking better than you found it.

Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury
box, and the cartridge box.
Re: Youtube videos [Re: ] #3111076
04/07/12 06:27 PM
04/07/12 06:27 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
Okay, MoFarmBoys do not use words like "unabashedly simplistic, disheveled, braggadocio, just to name a few. If I didn't have abnormally high word comprehension when I graduated high school, I wouldn't have any idea what you were trying to communicate. Keep up the good work!

Re: Youtube videos [Re: ] #3111093
04/07/12 06:42 PM
04/07/12 06:42 PM
south east michigan
P
Peskycritter Offline
trapper
Peskycritter  Offline
trapper
P

south east michigan
So some day if I every become a professional I won't Need to use the bathroom . Or is that just for yuppy trappers and there's know chance for me .

htt:// www.critterremovalmi.net
Free Trapper
Re: Youtube videos [Re: ] #3111166
04/07/12 07:53 PM
04/07/12 07:53 PM

D
DaveK OP
Unregistered
DaveK OP
Unregistered
D

Pesky - Honestly, the instructional video idea is good. I did enjoy the video on setting muskrat traps with your son.

Re: Youtube videos [Re: ] #3111189
04/07/12 08:15 PM
04/07/12 08:15 PM
south east michigan
P
Peskycritter Offline
trapper
Peskycritter  Offline
trapper
P

south east michigan
Anytime you wish to go muskrat trapping let me know Dave , I do a lot of it come fall ,both in the city , in creeks and rivers , also big marsh trapping where you just boat trap all day , should I post a how to skin muskrat video

Free Trapper
Re: Youtube videos [Re: ] #3111202
04/07/12 08:28 PM
04/07/12 08:28 PM

D
DaveK OP
Unregistered
DaveK OP
Unregistered
D

I'd rather not watch that video. But, from my perspective, it couldn't hurt sales. laugh

Re: Youtube videos [Re: ] #3111218
04/07/12 08:41 PM
04/07/12 08:41 PM
NH
S
sgs Offline
trapper
sgs  Offline
trapper
S

NH
When I joined this forum a couple of years ago, I noticed that there was a handful of folks here who had, for want of a better term, low self esteem and were trying to blow the image of the business completely out of proportion to reality. This thread reaffirms that impression.

Suits? Uniforms? Really? If you really want to impress yourself, go get a degree in wildlife management or wildlife biology. You're still going to look silly in a suit.

Get real. This business is about trappers and carpenters. Good, honorable trades. If it doesn't fulfill your snobbery, good. The business will be better off without you.

Re: Youtube videos [Re: ] #3111237
04/07/12 08:54 PM
04/07/12 08:54 PM

D
DaveK OP
Unregistered
DaveK OP
Unregistered
D

Have the degree, builders license, and wear uniforms. Not a big fan of suits...except on beaches.

Re: Youtube videos [Re: ] #3111362
04/07/12 10:25 PM
04/07/12 10:25 PM
south east michigan
P
Peskycritter Offline
trapper
Peskycritter  Offline
trapper
P

south east michigan
Dave please don't post pictures of your self on the beach

Free Trapper
Re: Youtube videos [Re: ] #3111473
04/07/12 11:55 PM
04/07/12 11:55 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
sqs, the only time we have to wear a suit is when we give a seminar. This is so all our friends can poke fun of us.

We all wear the same company shirts because this helps to identify us to the customer when we switch jobs. ( Pants are optional )

Re: Youtube videos [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #3111969
04/08/12 12:06 PM
04/08/12 12:06 PM

K
K9man OP
Unregistered
K9man OP
Unregistered
K

What exactly do you mean pants are optional? LOL. Are you saying you show up for jobs and you may or may not be wearing pants? What kind of a business are your operating over WI? I wonder how the customer turned complaintant will discribe the employee showing up without their pants on? Will they be able to identify the work shirt and logo?

Paul, I was not a big fan of the NADCA newsletter. I was just pointing out that it was very professionally done. That was why I mentioned all of the government employees on their membership list. They definatly didn't care for the private sector. I heard the same story about the questionaire, who was behind it, and the motivation for it. But we overcame that sterotype and in a hurry. And like you, I am very thankful that I have an extremely high reading comprehension skill.

I'm not a snob and I don't look down my nose at anybody. What I do attempt to accomplish is understand why people do what they do, and in order to succeed at that I have to attempt to find out where they are coming from experience wise - life experience, educational level, etc., etc. But for the record, I do have extensive carpentry training and experience, and I do have a Bachelor of Applied Science degree in Business. Unfortunately I am a self taught biologist, which means I don't know squat other that what I have experienced in the field or read in books, studies, etc., etc.

Thanks to everybody that participated. I learned what I wanted to. Some of you are extremely articulate and really thought about your posts. It was a very good discussion.

Re: Youtube videos [Re: ] #3112057
04/08/12 01:32 PM
04/08/12 01:32 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
K9, I will let you know why I do the things I do just as soon as I figure them out. ( My wife would also like a copy of that report )

My father was a cattle dealer so I grew up with horses, cows, and pigs. The only neighbor kids I had became my mentors, so everything they did, I did. Fishing, trapping, hunting, sports, beer, fast cars, graduation, marriage, and kids. They call it growing up. As soon as I got into this business I stopped growing up and became a kid again. Right now I fit in somewhere between my two, three, and four year old grandkids.

Re: Youtube videos [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #3113057
04/09/12 08:13 AM
04/09/12 08:13 AM

K
K9man OP
Unregistered
K9man OP
Unregistered
K

Paul, you and I must have grown up almost on the same section. My dad was a life long factory worker, I had no other trappers in my family to learn from, half the kids in my neighborhood, if you can call it that, were my relatives, but I did grow up surrounded by farms and farm animals. It was a great way and place to grow up - three miles outside of a small country town in the 60's and 70's. It was all good.

MOFarmboy and HD Wildlife, very eloquently written and thought out posts. Everybody gave some great responses in assisting me in learning what I wanted to know. I'm almost right where I started with my original opinion. I think these youtube videos will hurt some of us as individuals, but their larger impact will be on the future of the industry as a whole. I think it is a bad situation that could have, and should have, been avoided.

Thanks again.

Re: Youtube videos [Re: ] #3113215
04/09/12 10:46 AM
04/09/12 10:46 AM
Central Ohio
LT GREY Offline
trapper
LT GREY  Offline
trapper

Central Ohio
I have two videos on YouTube.
They were shot by a friend to post on Trapperman on how to "load" snares.
Head Snaring Raccoons and Mink Snaring.
I did it at the request of many trappers who were having trouble getting it right.
I never showed caught animals.
I never showed my face, as I used a close up, never used my real name or company, so I gained nothing.

I never realized that the video would be shown all over the internet, I never understood how that worked.
I just wanted it on my PHOTO BUCKET and didn't know how to post it.
Still don't.
I do know it's on Wolfer Nation, Trapperman, ADC Network, American Trap Talk to name a few...all put on by other trappers.
I've gotten PM's and seen written comments that it helped other trappers..and that alone was my goal.

There are some good videos out there.
I watched some.
No doubt some bad ones too.
I personally enjoy most I've seen.
Vinke has some very good ones and having been out with Vinke, it's like being back in Washington again...

Re: Youtube videos [Re: ] #3113239
04/09/12 11:10 AM
04/09/12 11:10 AM
NH
S
sgs Offline
trapper
sgs  Offline
trapper
S

NH
Quote:
What I do attempt to accomplish is understand why people do what they do,...

Yes, the "why" question is always the most important for me.

"Why" would someone post a youtube video? There's as many reasons as there are people who do it but they fall into several categories when you're talking trapping videos. Like LT, most do it as a helpful guide for others in the trade or sport. Some do it in hopes of increasing business and yet others do it as a social networking tool. Just another way to correspond with folks of like mind.

This thread brings up other "why" questions but they don't concern youtube videos so are probably not relevant. But they are pretty interesting none the less.

Re: Youtube videos [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #3113924
04/09/12 06:24 PM
04/09/12 06:24 PM
Chocowinity, NC
Phil Nichols Offline
trapper
Phil Nichols  Offline
trapper

Chocowinity, NC
Originally Posted By: Paul Winkelmann
K9, I have a partial list of the Lexington attendees and unless there are some lurkers, Steve Vantassel would be the only one that shows up on here once in a while.

I understand your concern. The Sierra Club ( Not one on my favorites anyhow ) has just come out against Conibears, footholds, and I guess trapping in general.

I've spent many enjoyable years fur trapping and I would hate to think that I ever had any part of ending it.

OT

Paul, am I on the list? Was there, bunked with Mark Melchoir (MI.) That was a watershed event in NWCO history.

Re: Youtube videos [Re: ] #3114035
04/09/12 07:58 PM
04/09/12 07:58 PM
Central Ohio
LT GREY Offline
trapper
LT GREY  Offline
trapper

Central Ohio
...just came out ?

ah hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha...what rock you been under ?

Re: Youtube videos [Re: ] #3114037
04/09/12 07:59 PM
04/09/12 07:59 PM
Georgia
K
Kirk De Offline
trapper
Kirk De  Offline
trapper
K

Georgia

Quote:
If you are one of those who do, why do you do it?

I did this one cause the state has been indangering the public by their practices over the years and still does. I put my ad pitch at the back to sell my DVD's. I sent my dvd,s to the current and last Governor. Does no good. We have had several years of drought. It is going to take some wet years with some accidents to get their attention.

Then it is too late.

One of the stipulations for me to trap on GA. State right of ways was that the county I trapped in was responsible and they were the ones to pay me(State Road). Had to put up signs "DANGER" "BEAVER TRAPS". Also had to get a permit for each location. Had to give exact location. If I moved the trap 6" I had to get a new permit. They wanted me to make all live sets.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujYQ4iUOYUM

The Real Reasons Animals Are Detecting Your Sets And Devices by Kirk Dekalb
https://amzn.to/2Hn1hxv
Re: Youtube videos [Re: ] #3114089
04/09/12 08:26 PM
04/09/12 08:26 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
You bet, Phil. I'm only missing the first page. Daniotti, Margie Darling, Erickson, Holper, Krier, Kruise, Mecum, Melchoir, Page, Pickel, Reichart, Rose, Dr. Robert Schmidt, Greg Smith (Tomahawk), Vantassel, and you and I. If anyone can add any from the first page, I'm missing the As and the Bs.

I don't envy you bunking with a Michigan guy. I've stayed with Krier a couple of times. If they ain't snoring, they're farting.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread