ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 17 of 25 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 24 25
Re: USDA Wildlife Services ITN [Re: Wildlife2] #4082128
10/29/13 02:02 PM
10/29/13 02:02 PM
AL
wildlifeus Offline
trapper
wildlifeus  Offline
trapper

AL
Im not sure, did you look up pest control companies? or just NWCOS?

Tim and Robb you were an inspiration. Thank you for your dedication to the industry.
Working everyday to reduce the size of the federal government.
Re: USDA Wildlife Services ITN [Re: Wildlife2] #4082138
10/29/13 02:07 PM
10/29/13 02:07 PM
somewhere in the middle of MT
D
DAVE SALYS-CWCP Offline
trapper
DAVE SALYS-CWCP  Offline
trapper
D

somewhere in the middle of MT
Wyoming is pretty much a wide open market, the only WCO I ever heard of was in Cody and I don't know if he's still active. If you look at NWCOA's member list nobody is listed for WY not to mean you have to be a member but it's a good indication of lack of operators. I tried servicing the northern cities in WY in my early years but the closest WY city is still over 100 miles away and I have plenty to do here at home. I'll bet WY is like MT and that nobody is willing to pay what it takes to make a profit at pigeon trapping, with daily or twice a day trap checks it gets expensive FAST.

Re: USDA Wildlife Services ITN [Re: Wildlife2] #4082150
10/29/13 02:12 PM
10/29/13 02:12 PM
NM
H
HD_Wildlife Offline
trapper
HD_Wildlife  Offline
trapper
H

NM
I just looked for wildlife control, frankly though I have more relations now with pest controllers, I would expect most of them belong
to the NPMA and therefore can go to WS if they feel this is an issue and show the MOU they have stating they won't compete.

I see more competition from the pest control industry as they are already in the door doing typical pest work. I had two places in the last
month where I went in and dropped a card and said I can resolve this pigeon issue your having, only to see spike show up about 3 weeks
later on both.

Who installed the spike? The folks on contract for their other pest issues (mice, roaches, etc...)

In my market the competition that is most fierce isn't from NWCO's it is from the name brand pest controllers who dabble in wildlife, they all know how to put up spike and it seems to be (along with avicide) to be their go to for every installation.

I'm sure there are a bunch of pest controllers in that city who do bird work and other, I know we are mixed and mingled now with the pest control industry and many folks obviously offer all services, but I'm still thinking in terms of wildlife control industry.

Justin

Very true Dave! I have helped with referrals for bats there and the closest operator was in Idaho and was several hundred miles away!

Last edited by HD_Wildlife; 10/29/13 02:13 PM.
Re: USDA Wildlife Services ITN [Re: Wildlife2] #4082325
10/29/13 03:28 PM
10/29/13 03:28 PM
AL
wildlifeus Offline
trapper
wildlifeus  Offline
trapper

AL
Here is USDA's new directive on Urban Wildlife Control.

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/wildlife_damage/directives/2.345_Urban_Rodent.pdf

Tim and Robb you were an inspiration. Thank you for your dedication to the industry.
Re: USDA Wildlife Services ITN [Re: Wildlife2] #4086167
10/31/13 11:18 AM
10/31/13 11:18 AM
AL
wildlifeus Offline
trapper
wildlifeus  Offline
trapper

AL
usdas official policy on Urban Wildlife has been posted on the federal register.

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-2013-08-14/pdf/2013-19831.pdf

Re: USDA Wildlife Services ITN [Re: wildlifeus] #4086766
10/31/13 04:22 PM
10/31/13 04:22 PM
Gainesville, Alachua, Florida,...
Robb Russell Offline
trapper
Robb Russell  Offline
trapper

Gainesville, Alachua, Florida,...
Originally Posted By: wildlifeus
usdas official policy on Urban Wildlife has been posted on the federal register.

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-2013-08-14/pdf/2013-19831.pdf

Of course it was entered into the federal register !!

We were sold out and unfair competition will just get worse from here on out.

Find Our Podcasts @ http://www.thewildlifepro.net
Re: USDA Wildlife Services ITN [Re: Wildlife2] #4122006
11/18/13 04:31 PM
11/18/13 04:31 PM
AL
wildlifeus Offline
trapper
wildlifeus  Offline
trapper

AL

Re: USDA Wildlife Services ITN [Re: Wildlife2] #4283282
02/01/14 12:03 AM
02/01/14 12:03 AM
AL
wildlifeus Offline
trapper
wildlifeus  Offline
trapper

AL
Look what I found.

Re: USDA Wildlife Services ITN [Re: Wildlife2] #4283286
02/01/14 12:05 AM
02/01/14 12:05 AM
AL
wildlifeus Offline
trapper
wildlifeus  Offline
trapper

AL
Do you know if you can merg threads?

Re: USDA Wildlife Services ITN [Re: Wildlife2] #4297725
02/07/14 10:36 AM
02/07/14 10:36 AM
AL
wildlifeus Offline
trapper
wildlifeus  Offline
trapper

AL
Join us for our next FREE monthly Stewardship Network Webcast! The webcast will be on Wednesday, February 12th, and will focus on "Feral Swine - an Unwelcome Visitor."
Presentation by: Tim Wilson, USDA Wildlife Services; and Lisa Brush, The Stewardship Network
Date: Wednesday, February 12th, 2014
Time: 12 noon to 1pm Eastern
Place: Your Computer!
Click here to view webcast!

(Link will become live day of webcast) http://www.stewardshipnetworkwebcast.org/

Feral swine can cause considerable damage to property and pose a disease threat to domestic animals. The rooting and wallowing activities of feral swine can cause serious erosion to riparian areas and wetlands, and damage to agricultural crops. These destructive animals have been known to tear through livestock and game fences, consume animal feed, and prey upon small livestock. Feral swine are also known to prey upon wildlife, especially ground nesting birds, small mammals, and deer fawns. Feral swine are also susceptible to a variety of diseases (such as pseudorabies, swine brucellosis, and classical swine fever) that are transmittable to domestic animals.
USDA Wildlife Services has been working cooperatively with the Michigan Departments of Agriculture and Rural Development, Natural Resources, and the Michigan Wildlife Conservancy to locate feral swine. Once feral swine are located, technical assistance and traps are made available to landowners who want to trap these animals. Blood samples are then taken from trapped swine for disease surveillance. Efforts are being made to educate the public that the perils of feral swine far outweigh any potential positive recreational benefits.
Join Tim Wilson, USDA Wildlife Services, and Lisa Brush, The Stewardship Network as they present on this important stewardship topic.
Tim Wilson - Wildlife Biologist with USDA Wildlife Services since 2001. Tim is involved with not only feral swine issues, but also wildlife mitigation on airports, control of double-crested cormorants, nuisance Canada geese, and other conflicts between wildlife and humans. He holds a Bachelor of Science from Michigan State University and a Master of Science from Mississippi State University.
Lisa Brush - Executive Director, The Stewardship Network. Lisa has worked in the environmental field in Michigan for the last fifteen years. She is currently the Executive Director of the Stewardship Network and has been involved with the Network since its inception more than 10 years ago. She has a wealth of experience helping non-scientific people understand scientific issues. For over nine years, as she has built and coordinated The Stewardship Network, she has emphasized effective and meaningful stakeholder involvement in developing and implementing all aspects of this program. She has a M.S. in Natural Resources from the University of Michigan and a B.A. (Science in Society) from Wesleyan University.

Re: USDA Wildlife Services ITN [Re: Wildlife2] #4303081
02/09/14 06:26 PM
02/09/14 06:26 PM
AL
wildlifeus Offline
trapper
wildlifeus  Offline
trapper

AL

Indiana Mammal EA Supplement Notice for Public Review/Comment
02/06/2014
NOTICE OF AVAILABILITY

The USDA, APHIS, Wildlife Services (WS), has prepared a Supplement to the Environmental Assessment (EA), “REDUCING MAMMAL DAMAGE IN THE STATE OF INDIANA.” The EA analyzed the potential environmental impacts of alternatives for WS involvement in mammal damage management in Indiana. The EA Supplement is available for review and comment prior to issuing a decision on the alternative to be selected and its associated environmental impacts. Interested parties may obtain the Supplement by contacting: USDA APHIS Wildlife Services, Purdue University, Smith Hall, 901 W. State Street, West Lafayette, IN 47907-2089, (765) 494-6229, FAX (765) 494-9475, by clicking on the below link, or http://www.aphis.usda.gov/wps/portal/aph...rams%2FSA_NEPA.

We request that all comments on the Supplement to the EA be sent to the address or FAX number listed above by March 15, 2014. When faxing a comment, a copy should also be mailed to ensure that a complete version of the text is received. All comments received, including the names and addresses of those who comment, will be part of the public record and will be released for public review as required and allowed by law.

IN mammal supplement 2014_final.pdf
Pennsylvania Counties White-tailed Deer EA Supplement for Public Review/Comment
02/06/2014
NOTICE OF AVAILABILITY

The USDA, APHIS, Wildlife Services (WS) has prepared a Supplement to the Environmental Assessment (EA), “SHOOTING WHITE-TAILED DEER TO ASSIST THE CITY OF PHILADELPHIA, FAIRMOUNT PARK COMMISSION IN ACHIEVING DEER POPULATION REDUCTIONS ON PARK PROPERTIES LOCATED IN THE PENNSYLVANIA COUNTIES OF DELAWARE, MONTGOMERY, AND PHILADELPHIA.” The Supplement to the EA analyzes the potential environmental impacts of alternatives for WS involvement in deer damage management in the Philadelphia parks. The EA Supplement is available for review and comment prior to issuing a decision on the alternative to be selected and its associated environmental impacts. Interested parties may obtain the Supplement by contacting: USDA APHIS Wildlife Services, P.O. Box 60827, Harrisburg, PA 17106-0827, (717) 236-9451, FAX (717) 236-9454, by clicking the link below, or http://www.aphis.usda.gov/wps/portal/aph...rams%2FSA_NEPA.

We request that all comments on the Supplement to the EA be sent to the address or FAX number listed above by March 15, 2014. When faxing a comment, a copy should also be mailed to ensure that a complete version of the text is received. All comments received, including the names and addresses of those who comment, will be part of the public record and will be released for public review as required and allowed by law.
2013 Supplement PA Counties Deer Population Reduction.pdf

Questions about APHIS programs and services?
Contact Us
STAY CONNECTED:

SUBSCRIBER SERVICES:
Manage Preferences | Unsubscribe | Help

This email was sent to cody@loomacres.com using GovDelivery, on behalf of: USDA Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service · 4700 River Rd · Riverdale, MD 20737

Re: USDA Wildlife Services ITN [Re: Wildlife2] #4303214
02/09/14 07:33 PM
02/09/14 07:33 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
This is one of those deals that so far, I have no argument with. We have a private company that gets paid less to whack a deer and take its body to a butcher, than we get paid to drag a car kill off of a lawn. All I can say is that as cold as it has been this year, I'm glad there wasn't enough money involved to get our company interested.

Re: USDA Wildlife Services ITN [Re: DAVE SALYS-CWCP] #4306538
02/11/14 04:26 AM
02/11/14 04:26 AM
WI
S
SedgeTrapper Offline
trapper
SedgeTrapper  Offline
trapper
S

WI
Originally Posted By: warrior
Originally Posted By: UWSPTrapper

I would love to see private ADC businesses attempt to protect 1,540 miles of trout the streams.

What makes you think private enterprise can't? I know one south ga trapper that single handedly covers hundreds of miles of watershed.
If you think size is the issue remember this, McDonald's has served one billion.

Looks like WS averages less than one beaver per mile of "protected stream."

I just can't see how a private company could afford to take on a project of that magnitude. You'd think labor alone would put them in the red.

I guess I've just never had an issue with Wisconsin's WS program.

They don't touch skunks, raccoons, snakes, bats, coyotes, squirrels, moles, feral cats, muskrats or opossums. Also, from what I've read, NWOs do almost all the urban white-tail control in the state as well.

They can have their one measly beaver per mile and its funding.

Re: USDA Wildlife Services ITN [Re: Wildlife2] #4306702
02/11/14 09:35 AM
02/11/14 09:35 AM
AL
wildlifeus Offline
trapper
wildlifeus  Offline
trapper

AL
They do touch those animals and they do control deer in your state.

Re: USDA Wildlife Services ITN [Re: Wildlife2] #4306862
02/11/14 11:11 AM
02/11/14 11:11 AM
Northeast Wisconsin
N
NE Wildlife Offline
trapper
NE Wildlife  Offline
trapper
N

Northeast Wisconsin
There is No beaver work In northeast
WI, wildlife services suck it all up on our tax
Money. They don't even give everyday trappers
A chance at them! I have done a total of one
Beaver job In. 4 years of business, and I have
Seen countless streams with WS beaver
Control signs!

Re: USDA Wildlife Services ITN [Re: wildlifeus] #4307017
02/11/14 12:31 PM
02/11/14 12:31 PM
WI
S
SedgeTrapper Offline
trapper
SedgeTrapper  Offline
trapper
S

WI
They do touch those animals.

No they don't. Not in Wisconsin.

WDNR will give you some crappy Hav-A-Heart live traps and tell you to get a trapping license if you call in coon or wood chuck issues or anything like that.

I also had a friend who lost some lambs to coyotes and WS wasn't able to help him. Said he either needed to start shooting them or hire a trapper.

They do control deer in your state.

The last city I lived in (Stevens Point) had a private company doing their urban white-tail work.

I've heard much of the same from others.

Re: USDA Wildlife Services ITN [Re: Wildlife2] #4307029
02/11/14 12:37 PM
02/11/14 12:37 PM
WI
S
SedgeTrapper Offline
trapper
SedgeTrapper  Offline
trapper
S

WI
Mr. Aaron Geistfeld
Absolute Wildlife Control
3711 Haga Drive
Plover, WI 54467

Dear Mr. Geistfeld:
Additional funds have been made available to the City of Stevens Point for deer culling. You may now cull additional antlerless
deer at your quote of $70.00 per deer culled through January 31, 2014.

Your new total
is as follows: 28 deer culled x $70.00 per deer = $1,960.00.

The City’s objective is to cull as many deer as soon as feasible.

The previous instructions remain in place.

This agreement may be terminated upon 24 hours’ notice by the City for reasons deemed sufficient by the
City.

We wish you success in your culling venture.

Sincerely,

Elbert J. Rackow

Chair

Deer Management Committee
715-341-1393

Re: USDA Wildlife Services ITN [Re: SedgeTrapper] #4307033
02/11/14 12:39 PM
02/11/14 12:39 PM
Mass.
T
Trapper Don Offline
trapper
Trapper Don  Offline
trapper
T

Mass.
I just can't see how a private company could afford to take on a project of that magnitude. You'd think labor alone would put them in the red.

You do not have a full understanding of a lot of the WCO companies in this country. Our company controls a lot more land then that in three states and make a very good profit. The devil is in the details and that's for others to figure out, but it can and is done by many other companies. As for WS doing a better job..NOT even close.
Don LaFountain CWCP

Re: USDA Wildlife Services ITN [Re: Trapper Don] #4307046
02/11/14 12:42 PM
02/11/14 12:42 PM
WI
S
SedgeTrapper Offline
trapper
SedgeTrapper  Offline
trapper
S

WI
Originally Posted By: Trapper Don

As for WS doing a better job..NOT even close.

I never said that...

Re: USDA Wildlife Services ITN [Re: Trapper Don] #4307058
02/11/14 12:52 PM
02/11/14 12:52 PM
WI
S
SedgeTrapper Offline
trapper
SedgeTrapper  Offline
trapper
S

WI
I really don't have a stake in this fight, I'm not trying to get under anyone's skin.

The two WS employees I've met in Wisconsin were educated, cordial, and accommodating.

My friend said much of the same (despite being [Please excuse my language... I'm an idiot] off they wouldn't take some coyotes off his property).

I just think there is room for both of you in the state of Wisconsin.

Last edited by BucTrapper; 02/11/14 12:57 PM.
Page 17 of 25 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 24 25
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread