General Trapping Archive

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Catalog~

Print Thread
Hop To
Trapping tip #2 #237128
06/21/07 11:19 PM
06/21/07 11:19 PM
Lake Lure NC USA
C
contender Offline OP
trapper
contender  Offline OP
trapper
C

Lake Lure NC USA
Here's another tip I like to use.
If your hands suffer from cramps, arthritis etc, and setting traps is a chore, (especially the larger, stronger ones,) I have a tip.
Get a set of "Quick-Grip" squeeze clamps to aid in setting traps. I have a few problems with the 330's so I got a Quick-Grip clamp, removed the slip on pads, took the hard plastic jaw faces, and grooved them to accept the rounded wire of my 330's at the eye.
Now all I do is Slip them on the eyes, squeeze them down, set the safety, & remove them. One at a time and it's quick enough to warrant their use. Safer too!

Re: Trapping tip #2 [Re: contender] #237160
06/22/07 12:09 AM
06/22/07 12:09 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Another good tip. Thanks!

Re: Trapping tip #2 [Re: contender] #237163
06/22/07 12:11 AM
06/22/07 12:11 AM
nebraska
P
playin4funami Offline
trapper
playin4funami  Offline
trapper
P

nebraska
Good tip contender , here's how I do it it's no secret,I keep a good strong rope about 5' long with a loop tied in one end big enough for me to get a foot in,in my gear. just slip the loop over your foot run the free end up though the spring eyes on one spring the go down and bring it up through again,take a couple wraps around your hand and pull,put on safty latch,release and repeat on other side. This makes setting even your biggest bodygrip easy,it's light and compact,can't slip off and hurt you. I set all my bigger bodygrips at home and then use the rope on resets in the feild. I believe this is a pretty common way of doing it.
PS if the rope hurts your hand wrap it around a stick or stake and use it for a handle.

Re: Trapping tip #2 [Re: playin4funami] #237164
06/22/07 12:13 AM
06/22/07 12:13 AM
MO
C
Creek Trapper Offline
trapper
Creek Trapper  Offline
trapper
C

MO
Cool. Thank ya.