1. Why do moles make the mounds you see? I don't mean the tunnels, I mean the mounds. They are burrowing deeper and must bring the excavated dirt to the surface. When they are surface tunneling they can just raise the dirt above them with their body strength.
2. Are moles blind? No,but almost. Close your eyes and look at a light. The glow you see is all the vision they have.
3. When are moles the most active? Day or night? Yeah... They are related to shrews and have a similar metabolism. They must eat almost constantly so they are active several times a day.
4. When is the best time of day (or night) to set your traps? When ever you are there. If you place them, they will come.
5. Has anyone found a way to catch them alive and how? Yes. You can dig a hole across an active travel tunnel and place a deep plastic container in it. When they fall in it they can't get a grip to climb out. disclaimer: never done it, only read about it. Guys also have been trying mechanic wire tubes with cloth floors and trap doors. Because of a moles high metabolism, they will starve to death very quickly in a live trap.
If I'm wrong on these answers, please fill me in too!
User formerly known as Hanible.