Home

The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread

Posted By: LT GREY

The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread - 05/02/08 12:45 PM

Started trapping moles when the ground was partially frozen...that waxed dirt sure comes in handy out of "trapping season".

One stop, 8 moles out of 23 set traps....good way to start the day! smile

Below Black & white photos : David Schweggmann (local paper news photographer) A good day's run on a 3 day check.

The below photo is how I finish all my mole traps, 3 coats of Formula 1, then once they've dried a day, 2 coats of bright orange paint, followed by another coat of Formula 1 on the bottom half. Here is one hanging out to dry. Ok Barkstone, lets see those white traps! smile

Steve, finally caught a few moles in your new trap...worked real well on our eastern moles. Will try to post a picture later.

Posted By: Vinke

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread ((PICS)) - 05/02/08 02:47 PM

Who is the Ugly Guy in the top Picture???????.....Never Seen his "Face" on here before....... \:\)
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread ((PICS)) - 05/04/08 04:02 PM

you fellows are killing me. i got 3 outosight traps and i should have gotten 300 of them. everytime i set one in a tunnel the moles dig another direction.

Am i doing something wrong or just need more traps. i am setting the tunnels but you cant set where there isnt a tunnel. any advice would be appreciated a needed.
Posted By: Bob Jameson

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread ((PICS)) - 05/04/08 04:29 PM

Dont over compress the tunnel area below the trap trigger pan. Some commonly do this and cause a refusal or dig around,over or under the tightly compressed area. When I compress a tunnel I use my thumb and fore finger to pull and tear the soil and push down until there is a finger sized hole left at the bottom of the tunnel.This is a nose probe guide and lets them know the tunnel is still there and can be reopened easily. Push and position your trap while firmly placing the trigger on top of the depressed area.

Just sounds like a mechanics problem with setting I believe.Some dont catch on to mole tunnel setting quickly. Some do. Also make sure you are setting at the level of the tunnel for good interception. At times you need to dig down to allow good positioning to occur also.

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread ((PICS)) - 05/04/08 10:35 PM

thanks Mr. Jameson. never have trapped these rascals before. I guess it is just like the other critters, takes a little learning to get it down.
Posted By: Ron Scheller

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread ((PICS)) - 05/05/08 04:07 AM

Originally Posted By: dcampbell
everytime i set one in a tunnel the moles dig another direction.

It may not be a problem with trap set-up..... sounds like you might be setting one-time feeding areas instead of the main (long, straight) travel routes. An important part of being successful at mole trapping is learning to "read" the tunnel systems and locate the main travel routes. Often the "fresh" sign is from a mole foraging for food..... those zig-zag and bicycle spoke looking patterns are not productive locations.

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread ((PICS)) - 05/05/08 04:12 AM

that is where i have been setting is in a short straight section that zig zags through the yard. i cant seem to find a long tunnel. i guess they may be a bit deeper than the foraging tunnels.

Thanks Mr. Scheller.

i aint quitting, i have all summer to figure these buddies out.

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread ((PICS)) - 05/09/08 08:29 PM

Heres a good mole catch with Steves new trap. A very good chest clutch catch in a very wet run.It appears they are sized right for our Eastern moles.I will continue to work with them but all indications are they perform well if set properly.

Posted By: MoFarmBoy

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread ((PICS)) - 05/10/08 02:41 AM

I too slid a very wet mole out a run today with Steve's trap, and was impressed with its grip!
Posted By: jgrimm

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread ((PICS)) - 05/11/08 07:18 PM

Bob J.

Is your dog trained to indicate if you have a mole or not to save from having to dig to check a empty trap?

Yesterday I had two kills in Steves traps and the dirt above those two traps were pounded with cat tracks, which told me I must have a mole and sure enough.

Jason

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread ((PICS)) - 05/11/08 11:50 PM

Yes she can tell me real quick. This is something she just started doing on her own. She is only 4 months old but has great hunting instincts.

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread ((PICS)) - 05/12/08 01:31 AM

clean the tunnel well prior to placing the wire trap and make sure it is pressed into the dirt well on the bottom.
Posted By: whitfield

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread ((PICS)) - 06/11/08 12:42 PM

Does the dog catch moles too? Or is that just his companion? Yes seems I've met Mr. Jameson at a few conventions and he did have a Golden Retriver of some sort!
Posted By: Animals Only

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread ((PICS)) - 06/11/08 03:59 PM

You tellin' me you went 2 days without checkin' traps. That must be the biggest pile of stink in town. After 24 hours here they start to stinkin' so bad you can't touch them without gloves and you don't want to put them in the back of the truck and shut the cap doors. And I thought I had the stinkiest garbage can around. \:\)
Posted By: MikeFlick

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread ((PICS)) - 06/11/08 04:27 PM

If its possible, I leave the carcasses in the tunnel. Moles and gophers are territorial, so its my theory, that the smell of the dead moles will keep new moles from invading the un occupied area. It seems to have worked in most cases.
Posted By: Barkstone

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread ((PICS)) - 06/14/08 09:35 AM

New personal best for me today.

20 moles at one stop.

I had caught 10 moles at one stop a few times in the past, and those were in a single yard each of them, Today was actually a sub-division contract I got after the first guy they chose to do their moles got turned down because he did not carry insurance. The 20 moles caught today alone cover my entire yearly insurance cost. BTW I am up to 49 moles there now in 3 visits. ;\)

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread ((PICS)) - 06/16/08 11:48 AM

Congrats Barkstone. That's pretty impressive!

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread ((PICS)) - 07/08/08 12:50 PM

Has everyone stopped trapping moles?

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread ((PICS)) - 07/08/08 04:23 PM

Mike. Many times I have pulled a mole from a tunnel to find it has been partially consumed. I assume it was from another mole or a shrew. I would hate to leave food behind for them. I have also found that ants love dead moles and swarm the carcus untill it's consumed. This could create another issue for a customer.

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread ((PICS)) - 07/09/08 04:09 AM

Partly eaten moles are not eaten by moles. They are eaten by chipmunks and or voles.

And nope I have not stopped trapping moles. The only thing that keeps me from trapping moles is drought (not a lot of that here this year if you had not heard) and frozen ground (not much of that here in July either LOL)

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 07/10/08 11:52 PM

Well my new work truck is finally done. Just got the graphics on the cap yesterday.

Posted By: SVR

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 07/12/08 03:26 PM

what kind of traps are you guys useing an were i might find them, I heard of a t-rex trap but not shore on how to set it, any help would be grearly appreciated, My moms yard is loaded so i wanna practice so i can charge the neibhors, an how do charge for a mole removal, thanks steve

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 07/14/08 12:52 PM

Very nice logo, Animals Only.

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 08/12/08 08:53 PM

Any one out there still doing any serious mole trapping? Been pretty dry this way!

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 08/12/08 09:18 PM

Ya killed em all Lt.

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 08/13/08 01:46 PM

Nah, couldn't be that lucky! smile

Wait 'till rains of Sepember come..........

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 09/12/08 07:28 PM

Is Steve from California still on here? If so PM me, I'd like to find out about your traps.
Posted By: TheRAT

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 09/16/08 09:25 PM

Well, I am going to add mole trapping to my list of control species next year, but I am getting in some practice on some yards of customers that I met this year. A good relations builder and, as I said, practice, since I have never trapped moles before. I set 6 traps in this yard yesterday. I checked the traps this morning with nothing in them. She looked at them around noon and found one snapped. I checked and there was this little monster in it.
laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh

It is interesting to find that the things you learn about a species are true. For instance:
1. They really do travel on their sides through the ground.
2. Their fur is VERY soft. Is there a market for it? I would love to have a pillow case made from the fur. How many would it take?

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 09/19/08 06:39 PM

LT will be proud! LOL
Posted By: kparks_hunter

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 09/24/08 11:20 PM

Ive been setting traps to catch moles at a friends house and caught two moles and set the trap again a caught a chipmunk from the same hole is this normal for chipmunks and moles to use the same hole?

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 09/25/08 05:13 AM

I got a contract for live mole removal this week. Boy is that exciting.

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 09/25/08 10:56 PM

You mean to tell me that you got some of Jameson's live traps...or did you build your own?

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 09/26/08 04:16 AM

I built my own. BUt I used Jamesons Idea.

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 09/26/08 02:55 PM

OH yeah, he's got some good ones alright! smile

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 09/27/08 02:29 AM

From the research I have done on Live trapping it seams to be a common "thing" in the UK...............

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 09/27/08 06:56 PM

Yep, those people are softies over there....not so much the trappers, just the goverment and commoners! smile

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 10/15/08 09:46 PM

Where's the guy who buys mole heads? Is he still on here?

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 10/15/08 11:30 PM

Originally Posted By: LT GREY
Where's the guy who buys mole heads? Is he still on here?

Now that sounds like a fun hobby! sick grin

Hey LT, my mole count is up to 3. I have only 4,997 or so more to go before I am as good as you! cool And I am not even doing it professionally, yet!

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 10/16/08 07:50 PM

laugh Ha!....well, add another 358 to that,(just from this year alone)... No, really.... there is a guy on here who is a biologist or some type of scientist who buys mole heads... just the heads (and another guy who buys squirrel stomachs, Worm man, I think he's called).

No one ever heard of these guys???

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 11/04/08 04:44 PM

No one knows this guy, I guess...
Posted By: LAtrapper

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 11/04/08 07:33 PM

LT GREY-
I haven't dealt with him, but here are a couple of links.

Flying squirrel/mole skulls

Mole skulls
Posted By: Dtwarrow

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 11/05/08 01:10 AM

I don't buy them, but every once in a while when I trap some fresh, I do skin them and use the fur to tie up some amazing dry flies and nymps!

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 11/05/08 05:48 PM

shocked DT!!! He's alive ...he's alive......

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 11/05/08 07:45 PM

Yup. I am alive.

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 11/17/08 09:55 PM

Man, I set up a mole job today in a snow squal. 36 degrees and the ground was nearly covered by the time I got done..... crazy

Got the check though! wink
Gonna be in the 20's tonight!

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 11/17/08 11:41 PM

I set up last Friday on a friends place. Will see what happens with the frozen ground...

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 12/15/08 03:31 PM

DT, you still mole trapping? I am getting ready to start snaring and trapping coyotes out east, heavy so PM me with your phone # and if I get any mole calls I'll send them your way! With all this rain and 50 degrees temp, it's bound to happen!

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 12/15/08 03:41 PM

I love this thread.

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 01/06/09 09:30 PM

Mole heads for sale. Anyone else selling?

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 01/07/09 11:40 PM

Whos using Talprid? Anyone? PM me if you don't want it public.

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 01/08/09 06:32 AM

A lot of my customers, right up to the point they call me for an effective program.

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 01/29/09 07:01 PM

Meaning you don't think it's effective?.... or the customer put it in the wrong place or placed it wrongly?

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 01/29/09 10:01 PM

LT.... Probably a combination of the two: Poor customer placement (just like when they try trapping) and a somewhat less than advertised effectiveness of the product. Not saying it doesn't have ANY effect, but I know several of my customers were applying it correctly and had no measurable results after 4 to 6 months of use. One guy swears the moles were pushing the "poison worms" back out the top of the runs exactly where he placed them. I couldn't verify that, but this guy is usually not a "story teller" type. As with most chemical programs, it is often impossible to "measure" the success. Trapping, on the other hand, allows the customer to SEE dead moles and notice the damage ceases instantly following the captures. Even if the poison worked..... it is not a "cure-all" method. Neither is trapping, BUT trapping is much more environmentally friendly and no more costly than continuously re-applying chemicals. Just my humble opinion.....
Posted By: Andrew N.

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 01/31/09 11:02 PM

Do you guys have any advice on how to properly set a Victor O.O.S. Mole Trap? I opened up the top of the tunnel, placed the set trap in with the jaws properly spanning the tunnel, then I placed the dirt back over the trap with the top sticking out of the ground.

So far the little bugger has popped up on either side of the trap but has yet to fire it.

Any suggestions?

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 02/01/09 06:27 PM

So you want the part of tunnel you dig out to have dirt fall back in, thus blocking the tunnel?

How do you set your tunnel traps Steve?
Posted By: Jerry Westin

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 02/02/09 08:08 PM

Steve:

On my out of sights, I have been bending the lip outward
to give it a hair trigger effect. Seems to work, also have
grooved a cork down the center and taped around trigger.
Been having good luck with your traps just ordered more, like
the idea of less chance of injuring dogs or kids. That out of
sight makes me nervous. Have !M liability embrella but sleep
better with your traps out there.

Jerry
Posted By: cooter1

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 02/03/09 01:54 AM

I have a rather ignorant question, but it seems ya'll would be the ones to know. Is there a difference between moles and pocket gophers? We have a pile of the pocket gophers down here and the only way I have heard of controlling them is early morning shooting. Any info is appreciated.

Cody
Posted By: cooter1

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 02/03/09 03:14 AM

Thanks, I will have to save up and get some to try out here in the yard. I think it would be best to learn how at home before I start charging folks.

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 02/04/09 08:13 PM

smile !

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 02/05/09 09:48 PM

Caught my FIRST Mole ever. Small prize but it sure felt good! Thanks for the help everyone.

Posted By: il.trapper

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 02/05/09 10:26 PM

CONGRATS !!!!!!!!!!!! LOL that one is sure enough black....all ours here are brown...never seen a black one....dark yes....black....not me. Different species?

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 02/05/09 11:09 PM

Feels great, doesn't it! grin Keep up the good work!

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 02/06/09 01:05 AM

Not sure on the species but the camera adds a lot of shadowing. It was a graphite color through out. I couldn't believe how soft the little guy was.
Posted By: il.trapper

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 02/06/09 01:33 AM

Softest fur I have ever felt.....make great glove liners.

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 02/10/09 01:05 AM

Livetrap

Swear that looks like one a Townsend, size and color.

Jerry W.

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 02/12/09 01:27 AM

Field of dreams///////// or nightmares..........

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 02/12/09 01:56 AM

Originally Posted By: Jerry Westin
Livetrap

Swear that looks like one a Townsend, size and color.

Jerry W.

Um... is that a good thing???

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 02/12/09 02:24 AM

Vinke, best of luck. Let us know when you can work again. laugh
Posted By: Paul Winkelmann

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 02/12/09 02:26 AM

Not if your name is Townsend. You're dead.
Posted By: gopherkiller

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 02/12/09 02:40 AM

Vinke, are you working in that field of dreams? if you are how many did you catch? I assume these are moles but cant tell for sure from the pic. if i get pics on photo bucket i'll show ya some i got last summer on a gopher job. It was crazy, had to buy more traps to do it.

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 02/13/09 02:51 AM

these are from the first two and a half days, started setting traps at 2:30pm the 9th; 10th and 11th

the following day the 12th

and the last morning the 13th. I ended this gopher job with 112 pocket gophers and 50 moles.

pulled in friday night at sundown, left sunday at 4pm. 138 gophers

This is four days on 40 acres. 99 gophers, and fumigated. only two caught on return the following spring. Happy Farmer!!!!!

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 02/13/09 03:49 AM

Nice work! Nice rig too!

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 02/13/09 08:14 PM

I dont know exactly what my one day record is but have taken over 100 in a day several times. usually this is on more than one job. i think the highest density i have encountered was in the above pic with 138. That job was only 15 acres, sandy soil with alfalfa. I caught so many so fast the customer kinda freaked out and wanted me to quit. He paid for my oxygen and helped open up tunnels while i blasted from noon till 4pm. I imagine i could have took around 300 there if i could have had a few more days. Another job i took 245 off 160 acres in october. There was a small 10 acre patch way in the back that the farmer gave up on mowing so it was too high to trap that fall. I came back in the spring and caught 136 mainly out of that 10 acres.

We had a few days of warmer weather here so i checked on a small property to pick up a few more gophers but 8 inches down we still have frost. I saw no, i mean 0 fresh mounds but did put in 7 sets caught 6 gophers and pulled out. Snowing today wee haaa!!! Havent tried your traps yet but will this spring, I really like how sensitive the triggers are, WOW! see ya...

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 02/15/09 11:54 AM

Last weekend, I started my first official mole contract. It was going to be a little more challenging since it was at a daycare and I could only access the property when the children were not there. This meant coming in at 6 pm Friday night and pulling the traps by 5:30 am Monday morning.

On top of the restricted hours of trapping, the whole playground was a feeding area. I was having trouble finding the long tunnels to set the traps. The children kept the soil packed down nicely.

Well, it payed off yesterday morning. I finally got the little monster.

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 02/15/09 08:42 PM

Good job!!! Q. if they were feeding in the playground where are they denning? The long tunnels or main tunnels are often times found in the edge. Edge is very important, many times there is a mole hiway directly under a fence line. Keep it up...

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 02/16/09 12:33 AM

I think the den must have been under a small grass area in the corner of the playground. And you are correct, the main tunnel was almost along the fenceline.

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 02/16/09 08:11 PM

There is surely something there for them to den under. alot of times there are stumps that are no longer visible or something like that. Anyway; word to the wise about your contract... you probly already know this but will inject it anyway. On a contract the more you are there working the less you are making. so make sure you get every one of these rascals before May 1st. no babies=no work till september when they come from the neighbors. later, Tim

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 03/06/09 08:27 PM

Moles will often times follow a fenceline, as well as drive way, walk way and along the foundation of a house.

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 03/06/09 08:32 PM

what he said.

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 03/06/09 08:45 PM

shocked
Ha! laugh
I think I just died and went to Heaven!

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 03/18/09 10:17 PM

Anyone doing a lot of mole work? Got several more calls today.
I have 22 mole jobs out now.

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 03/19/09 06:44 PM

11 more moles today...not my best, but it's a start to a good day!

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 04/03/09 05:35 PM

Anyone see these "Mole Skin" slippers from the Netherlands?

Check it out @ ons-adres.nl
Posted By: Trapstar Charlie

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 04/12/09 07:27 PM

im glad we dont have gophers... =) thats incredible

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 04/14/09 11:47 PM

Does any one use the dead mole(s) for bait of any sort?
Posted By: BUD25

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 04/15/09 12:36 AM

i picked up my first ever pocket gopher, one of a billion to catch.
Posted By: TRapper

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 04/15/09 05:23 AM

85 mole customers current and counting

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 04/15/09 04:22 PM

Rat, dead moles make an excellent coyote bait!
....and why is it raccoons are always pulling up dead moles in traps and dragging them around? shocked

I have some 'aged' in rain water 4-5 years...it's a sludge now, But I be it'll work well on canines down a hole.

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 04/15/09 07:48 PM

LT, remind me never to eat lunch at your home! sick laugh

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 04/16/09 06:57 PM

Ha! smile
All that damage...usually just one mole, tunnel is about 6" deep.

Watch the mounds....the next one that shows up will be on the end, (I believe closest to the bottom...although hard to tell 100% from a photo of that angle.)

You will be able to tell by the freshness of the dirt and how fast it drys out!

Dig down on the second mound back...set your trap there.
If you only had one trap to set, that would be where you will catch the mole.
Typically however, I set this type of damage with three traps...one in the middle and one on each end.
That mole will/should be caught in just a few short hours...less than 24 anyway!

By the way, I carry a few 5 gallon buckets and remove all those mounds when I set up the job. Easy to do by just laying a bucket on its side and raking it in.
The yard will look 100% better before you leave.

Also...that close to a public walk...it's better to have a trap such as NoMol or Steve's trap....out of sight, out of mind! wink

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 04/16/09 10:21 PM

Well...there ya' go.....you can use that info another time! smile
Posted By: Trapstar Charlie

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 05/01/09 03:34 AM

hey steve! got the traps in. took a few out to a job where they just mound all over with no tunnels. slid a few of your traps in tand nailed one this morning along with a shrew. slick traps =)
Posted By: james jackson

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 05/01/09 04:21 AM

i seem to be having trouble with my moles,for one they are very small, the tunnels are narrow,just big enough to put my index finger in,i believe that i am doing to much damadge to the tunnel when placing trap(steves)in.any ideas what im doing wrong

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 05/01/09 04:59 AM

james jackson-
You either have one heck of a big index finger or you have a problem with something that isn't a mole!!! Mole crickets would be very hard to trap in a mole trap!

By the way- you need to add your LOCATION to your profile.

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 05/01/09 04:33 PM

james, I think those are shrews, not moles!
Posted By: james jackson

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 05/01/09 08:10 PM

thanks guys,I'LL try the covered mousetrap technique,I know what a molecrickit is
Posted By: ADCPiedmont

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 05/03/09 03:41 AM

More good feedback for Steve's mole traps. I have used spear(harpoon) traps, out of sight, talparid and no mole traps. Steve's traps work SOOOO much better it's ridiculous. They have made what were difficult mole jobs easy. I can't say enough good things about them.

Also as a former lurker, I greatly appreciate all the advice on this forum.

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 05/04/09 04:30 PM

That should make Steve pleased to hear that!

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 05/04/09 06:32 PM

I also like Steves traps, I am a diehard out of sight mole trap user but will not be without some of his traps in my arsenal for certain situations. Great addition to any mole trappers tool chest.... reminds me I need to order some more Steve...

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 05/04/09 08:56 PM

Help

Been trying to get one mole for two weeks. The property
is a million dollar house on 1/2 acre with sandy loam soil.
I have used steve's traps and Out of sights using every type
of set I have read on this forum. He digs around steve's
traps and fills the Out of sights. The damage is getting
out of sight, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Jerry W.

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 05/04/09 11:21 PM

I have been catching them in the sand with the oss. I still have a few get through but have taken some flashing and made pan covers for them. they are 1 1/2" wide and 2 1/2" long. i was placing them long ways as in lying on top of the tunnel but had the traps going off too soon. now i place the flashing cross ways over the tunnel and under the trigger. I still set the trap deep but have had great success in the sand. give it a try and see what you think.

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 05/05/09 06:20 PM

Concerning sandy soil: With OOS traps, I always made a wedge out of clay and coated it with sand.

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 05/05/09 09:18 PM

Thanks for the advice, will give it a try.

Jerry W.

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 05/07/09 05:26 PM

Then post us some pic's! smile

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 05/18/09 03:34 PM

Post us some pic's if you can!

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 06/07/09 09:27 PM

I went to one of my customers home this morning to check the traps. She comes out to tell me that the Topeka Police stopped by yesterday. It seems that a concerned citizen complained that there were bear trap in the yard of my customer! Once the officer saw where the traps were located, he realized that they were mole traps. laugh

That is a first for me! I don't know when the last wild bear was seen in the eastern part of the state.

Lions, tigers and bears! Oh, my!! grin

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 06/09/09 06:34 PM

"oh my", indeed! smile
Posted By: Tibb79

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 06/10/09 12:08 PM

Obviously never seen a bear trap

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 06/30/09 04:09 PM

No probably not! smile Ha!

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 06/30/09 05:08 PM

well, im still waiting to get a call for mole removal... all i can do right now is land bat proofing and attic restoration jobs, im almost full time doing this but want to catch some moles!!!

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 07/01/09 11:45 PM

I have a family, aunts, uncle and cousins, that I am doing their trapping for moles. It is nice, they are all within 1 block.

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 07/02/09 08:52 PM

But isn't it hard to charge family?

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 07/02/09 11:25 PM

It isn't my family. They are all related. Makes a great referral.

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 07/03/09 11:33 PM

I caught this odd colored mole today. It has an orange face.

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 08/01/09 12:18 PM

I see lots of orange on our eastern moles here. Some yellow as well.
Posted By: Travis Wolford

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 08/02/09 04:23 AM

We also get plenty of orange and yellow and even some white. Customers ask what the orange color is from, I tell them it is most likely from old clay tiles deteriorating in the ground but honestly I have no idea. Does anyone know what its from?

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 08/02/09 08:21 PM

It's called DNA, Twavee. smile
Posted By: twodollar

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 08/02/09 10:45 PM

i think i would tend to agree with LT grey
Posted By: JBR

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread ((PICS)) - 08/03/09 01:33 AM

Well I ordered some traps from steve off of ebay last week, when I get them and catch the buggers I'll try to post pics.

JBR
Posted By: Travis Wolford

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread ((PICS)) - 08/03/09 02:18 PM

Allright sounds fair enough, I didnt figure on that easy of an answer though.

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread ((PICS)) - 08/03/09 06:05 PM

It could also be a government order for your moles to wear protective colored clothing ( or fur)

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread ((PICS)) - 08/03/09 07:09 PM

Originally Posted By: Paul Winkelmann
It could also be a government order for your moles to wear protective colored clothing ( or fur)

Now that would be frightening! eek

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread ((PICS)) - 08/06/09 11:29 PM

How many catch alb i no moles?

Come on....you thought the pink i was catchy in Albino, didn't you? grin

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread ((PICS)) - 08/11/09 09:31 PM

i havent but if i do hes gonna get mounted and put in the trophy room in the basement!

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread ((PICS)) - 08/17/09 10:33 PM

The Mole Man of Cincy, caught two and that is exactly what they did with them.

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread ((PICS)) - 08/31/09 07:59 PM

All our moles are running deep now. We need some serious rain to make life a little easier on us.

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread ((PICS)) - 08/31/09 08:18 PM

just checked yard this morning and had caught 2! pretty decent sized yard with unbelievable amounts of damage. the back yard is a under ground LABRYINTH ... for you that know the word it a giant maze
Posted By: beavernator

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 09/02/09 06:37 PM

Originally Posted By: TheRAT
Well, I am going to add mole trapping to my list of control species next year, but I am getting in some practice on some yards of customers that I met this year. A good relations builder and, as I said, practice, since I have never trapped moles before. I set 6 traps in this yard yesterday. I checked the traps this morning with nothing in them. She looked at them around noon and found one snapped. I checked and there was this little monster in it.
laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh

It is interesting to find that the things you learn about a species are true. For instance:
1. They really do travel on their sides through the ground.
2. Their fur is VERY soft. Is there a market for it? I would love to have a pillow case made from the fur. How many would it take?

What's this trap called and where did you get it??? Thanks.

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 09/02/09 07:44 PM

Victor Out-O-Sight Mole Trap
http://www.wildlifecontrolsupplies.com/M...;Category_Code=

Also see-
http://www.wildlifecontrolsupplies.com/M...ode=MoleControl

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 09/02/09 09:57 PM

I can't catch a mole for the life of me. Bought some of steve's traps a few weeks ago and it's a big ZERO so far.

JBR

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 09/02/09 10:24 PM

Have you watched his video at http://www.traplineproducts.com/Moles.html

Many additional hints are offered if you have time to review all 4 pages of this thread.

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 09/02/09 10:41 PM

JBR pm sent

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 09/03/09 12:57 AM

I agree with LA on that one!

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 09/03/09 03:22 AM

It's loamy soil on top of red clay. The tunnels don't really collapse though soil does tend to get pushed down them in front of the trap.
The tunnels are really small compared to the trap jaw width.

JBR

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 09/03/09 03:23 AM

LATrapper I have watched the vids.

JBR

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 09/03/09 06:31 PM

just caught a few in steves traps and some Victor O O S

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 09/21/09 06:06 PM

Bud, send us some pic's on here!

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 09/21/09 06:21 PM

hey LT i dont know how to post pics on here but if i email them to you can you post them?

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread ((PICS)) - 09/21/09 06:47 PM

I am actually having a giant mole "broad footed" mounted for demonstration purposes... taxidermist said $75.oo

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread ((PICS)) - 09/21/09 06:52 PM

laugh Ha!....You don't actually think I know how, do you?
I have all mine done for me by an expert, who is also a member on here...but unless I get the ok, I won't name.
But I would be willing to help you out.... wink

ltgrey1@yahoo.com

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 09/21/09 08:30 PM

BUD24-
Check out http://www.trapperman.com/forum/ubbthrea...html#Post435067
Photobucket is very easy to use. If you can send a picture by email, you can post it here from Photobucket. If you, or anyone, needs assistance with Photobucket; just let me know.

Pictures of problem situations will simplify folks providing advice. Pictures of techniques provide valuable information for those of us wanting to learn. Pictures of catches are always interesting. Post more pictures!!!

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 09/22/09 04:14 PM

thank you guys!

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 11/03/09 08:44 PM

Easy to use if you understand it.... smile

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 11/03/09 09:04 PM

lol... i still havent even looked at posting pictures... ive got some good ones smile

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 11/27/09 08:15 PM

Anyone still trapping moles north of the Mason-Dixion?

Posted November 27th
Posted By: G Hanold

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 11/28/09 02:38 AM

They are going nuts here, but the days are still in the 50's and 60's.

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 11/30/09 04:42 PM

Same here and rain!
Posted By: MikeTraps2

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 12/01/09 05:13 PM

Just got one on Sat!

Hopefully the last one

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 12/02/09 01:18 AM

Anyone still trapping moles north of the Mason-Dixion?

Posted November 27th

As of today..... I have almost every mole trap I own in the ground. Craziness...... December 1st and mole activity at a higher level than the rest of the year! BUT, snow predicted tomorrow and COLD temps hitting in the afternoon, with freezing temps at night for several days in a row. Looks like it's about to come to a halt.....

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 12/02/09 01:30 AM

We've barely dipped below the freezing mark this morning for the first time. It's going to be slightly above freezing for the highs by the end of the week. As of now, though we're being invaded by an army of moles. I pulled my 11th mole out of 2 acres of sand and another out of some clay.

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 01/01/10 10:41 PM

Posted By: Leary Sink

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 01/01/10 11:04 PM

I pulled my traps about two weeks ago at a small job I was working on. The roadside ditches all had a thin sheet of ice in them and the ground where it had rained for several days was crunchy with ice when I went to check the traps. I had only one mole and a field mouse in the traps. I sent a picture to Steve with the field mouse which had been caught by the tip of his tail in the trap. I still have not figured that one out yet.
I did another job several days later after it had warmed up some and caught another at that job.
I figure Im through till it warms up again in a couple of months.

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 01/01/10 11:53 PM

i pulled all my mole traps long ago. i dont do per mole in my charging, and my yearly contracts (seasonal) from APRIL-OCTOBER

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 01/02/10 02:07 AM

Im not charging per mole either, these jobs were ones the customers wanted something done quick as they are both listing their houses for sale and their yards had mole activity, I did a flat rate charge for one week as they believed the sight of the runs would affect potential buyers looking at their property.
I offered them a seasonal contract this spring should the houses not sell by then. They were happy and I was very happy to have the jobs. Its been a long S L O W year for me around these parts.

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 01/02/10 02:41 AM

I hope things pick up for you in the spring. what do you currently have out for advertising??

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 01/05/10 12:45 AM

For the last year been passing out my cards, got most jobs this year from referrals from a friend who does ADC work on Hatteras Island and doesnt want to drive 100 miles one way to do the jobs. That and the people wont pay him for what it would take for him to drive all that way to do it too!
I have made up flyers so when it warms up this spring I'll get them to all the real estate companies and lawn mowing people.
The economy here is pitiful right now, every week for the last year the local paper has listed over a dozen foreclosures in the legal ads. Real estate companies have had the same houses listed for over a year and keep dropping prices to try and get them sold. New construction is non-existant and remodels are very few and far in between. For a resort area this place has come to a screeching halt.
I'll see what happens this spring!

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 01/16/10 11:20 PM

Spring's around the corner.......... smile

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 01/17/10 12:09 AM

sure is feller.... im lining up mole jobs like crazy.... looks like i may have to order more... 250 right now doesnt seem enough.

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 03/01/10 02:27 AM

Ok, I have a question. I'm sure Steve can answer this along with others, but I'm hoping others will gain from the answer. I'm trapping in a large commercial property with extensive mole infestation. I am experiencing more false trips than I've ever experienced with Albano's mole traps. I am wondering if these trips are from voles instead of moles? There are sign of voles in a few different locations around the property. I've read up on trapping voles, but I'm also wondering how do you price vole trapping within your mole trapping.

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 03/01/10 03:10 PM

Could also be from shrews, although, I've caught shrews in Steve's traps!

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 03/01/10 03:15 PM

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 03/01/10 10:40 PM

nice haul.
Posted By: North Country

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 03/01/10 11:47 PM

I didn't know they made out-o-sights back in the 1940s.lol

Troy

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 03/01/10 11:59 PM

lol.... Troy's got jokes!
Posted By: FoxSquirrel

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 03/14/10 12:20 AM

@

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 03/14/10 02:53 AM

Wow...after reading this post, alo0ng with the video's on Steve's website, I can't believe how much I didn't know about a mole. I've got two of Steve's traps, and a couple of other mole traps...and I can't believe it, but I'm fired up to get out and catch these boogers in my own yard. I'll post pics when (and if) I catch one.

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 03/14/10 09:59 PM

Hey, On Steve's traps...do you just about always have to set two? One for moles coming from one direction and one for moles coming the other?

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 03/14/10 10:14 PM

yep, thats the one downside to the trap. An OOS will catch them going either way.... both AWESOME traps

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 03/14/10 10:35 PM

Thanks Bud...I'll haveta try the outasights.

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 03/15/10 12:31 AM

Yes, because you don't know which direction their coming from.

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 03/22/10 11:27 AM

That's the reason I use them!

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 03/23/10 01:37 AM

I got my first 3 mole traps in the ground today. Next week Ill have close to 200 traps set.

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 03/23/10 02:25 AM

I made the morning news this morning. Their expert gardener was recommending poison worms for mole control. He didn't quite convey my recommendations completely but it was better than poison worms. http://tristatehomepage.com/search-fulltext?&nxd_id=140464&shr=addthis

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 03/23/10 03:36 AM

nice.

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 03/23/10 12:30 PM

looks like a variety catch from what I can see. Vole, shrew and mole.
Posted By: bluebill

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 03/23/10 12:43 PM

I started my first job last week on a small yard. So far I have pulled out 4 moles. I just got a new job yesterday that I start tomorrow. It is 3 acres. I can't wait to see what comes out of there!!

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 03/24/10 02:56 PM

Nice Pic, Nick!!!

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 03/25/10 07:38 PM

smile

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 03/26/10 02:22 AM

LT GREY knows... furbuyer.com buys extra large mole skulls for $2.50 Im planning on tanning a bunch and making a vest out of them....
Posted By: krd_expd

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread - 03/27/10 08:37 AM

Ok got a few quick questions. Gonna add moles to my list of services, and luckily I have a friend who does mole jobs in town for another company and is showing me the ropes. He doesn't have the time to mess with moles anymore and wants me to take over. There are some super possibilities here and I'm excited to incorporate it with my lawn care business.
1. Why do moles make the mounds you see? I don't mean the tunnels, I mean the mounds.
2. Are moles blind?
3. When are moles the most active? Day or night?
4. When is the best time of day (or night) to set your traps?
5. Has anyone found a way to catch them alive and how?

Kendrick

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread - 03/27/10 08:50 AM

I wanted to share this with everyone. Found it on youtube and I thought it was just pretty darn informative about setting the Victor Out Of Sight mole traps. The video quality is kinda poor but the point is clear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXfwly_DLaM

Kendrick

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread - 03/27/10 11:14 AM

1. Why do moles make the mounds you see? I don't mean the tunnels, I mean the mounds. They are burrowing deeper and must bring the excavated dirt to the surface. When they are surface tunneling they can just raise the dirt above them with their body strength.

2. Are moles blind? No,but almost. Close your eyes and look at a light. The glow you see is all the vision they have.

3. When are moles the most active? Day or night? Yeah... They are related to shrews and have a similar metabolism. They must eat almost constantly so they are active several times a day.

4. When is the best time of day (or night) to set your traps? When ever you are there. If you place them, they will come.

5. Has anyone found a way to catch them alive and how? Yes. You can dig a hole across an active travel tunnel and place a deep plastic container in it. When they fall in it they can't get a grip to climb out. disclaimer: never done it, only read about it. Guys also have been trying mechanic wire tubes with cloth floors and trap doors. Because of a moles high metabolism, they will starve to death very quickly in a live trap.

If I'm wrong on these answers, please fill me in too!

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread - 03/27/10 03:30 PM

Forgot one last question:
What does a mole's main diet consist of?

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread - 03/27/10 04:43 PM

90% (or there about, depending on who you ask) year round, are earthworms. wink

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread - 03/27/10 04:46 PM

There are also some studies that show they eat a small amount of plant matter.
Along with earthworms, are grubs,(and other beetle larva) cicada larva and similar prey.

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread - 03/27/10 04:47 PM

This is WHY...mole pellets DO NOT work...

They do NOT emulate what a mole actually eats!

It would be better suited for rodents, such as mice and chpmunks, IMO.

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread - 03/28/10 03:59 PM

There are also some studies that show they eat a small amount of plant matter.
Along with earthworms, are grubs,(and other beetle larva) cicada larva and similar prey.

I read that in ONE extension paper too. I wonder if it wasn't voles, but the damage was by a mole tunnel so they tagged the wrong critter. That extension paper read like one of my last minute term papers.

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread - 03/28/10 10:18 PM

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread - 03/28/10 10:18 PM

Steve's traps, above!
Posted By: bglong

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread - 03/29/10 05:12 PM

not a mole trapper, . I used to put poison around my ginseng beds in the mole tunnels to try to kill mice. Mice use the tunnels for highways and chew on the ginseng roots, killing the plant. Didn't stop the carnage though.

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread - 04/03/10 07:24 PM

Nice catch , Nick!

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread - 04/03/10 07:25 PM

PS....Love the gloves! smile
Posted By: brianroberts

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread - 04/03/10 10:17 PM

Nick those gloves and shirt look pretty clean for a mole trapper,you sure you didn't change for the photo Op?.....B.....

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread - 04/03/10 10:34 PM

Ha! Yep, that's how I'd look @ 7 am....that shirt would be soiled and wet in 70 degree heat come sundown...
That Nick, is one handsome rascal though.... smile

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread - 04/04/10 03:30 AM

This year looks to be a profitable one for moles. I've had more people ask me why, and I can't really answer them. Almost all my mowing accounts from last year are starting to see signs of moles. Considering I have 56 accounts, this could be a very profitable year for me both for moles and lawns. I noticed the moles have a terrible odor too. They smell like nasty body odor..HA! That is an AWESOME catch Nick! Hey can anyone tell me how many young a single female can produce in a year? Had a customer ask me that today and I had to make up an answer to look professional on the spot. I told her 4-6 at a time...is that close?

Kendrick

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread - 04/04/10 04:36 AM

Moles aren't large breeders. With out looking it up, off the top of my head I'd say it's closer to 3-4 a year.

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread - 04/04/10 05:00 AM

Are there any factors such as weather or seasons which cause moles to more active from one year to the next? In other words, why would moles be more prominent one year, when they weren't the past years?

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread - 04/04/10 06:10 AM

Originally Posted By: Hanible
Moles aren't large breeders. With out looking it up, off the top of my head I'd say it's closer to 3-4 a year.
3-5....close

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread - 04/04/10 06:12 AM

Originally Posted By: krd_expd
Are there any factors such as weather or seasons which cause moles to more active from one year to the next? In other words, why would moles be more prominent one year, when they weren't the past years?
Only a small percentage of the damage is actually visable in surface runs... when the surface dries out, most moles avoid these dry tunnels do to lack of food... some of the deeper tunnels will still produce mole catches during summer.

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread - 04/04/10 07:11 PM

Bud is correct on both accounts.

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread - 04/08/10 01:02 AM

sweet pics Nick!!! I havent caught one of those yet...

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread - 04/08/10 01:32 AM

I finally caught a mole with a white patch on its chest... Have caught many with the blaze orange... white... smile

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread - 04/08/10 02:50 AM

Oh My God! Those look like some kind of alien off of Men In Black!! How creepy is that?!

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread - 04/08/10 01:15 PM

I've never caught a star nose mole here in Illinois, but those are really strange looking. The tail is huge compared to our eastern mole. The back feet look bigger also.

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread - 04/09/10 05:39 AM

Cool star nose video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zZcrHyqKFA

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread - 04/10/10 02:20 AM

Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcDNGmHiddc

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread - 04/10/10 07:53 PM

Thanks!

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread ((PICS)) - 04/13/10 02:36 AM

I don't remember any of you mole trappers mentioning that the star-nosed mole is just as at home hunting in the water as he is on land. And since he's nearly blind he has to blow bubbles and suck them back in so he can smell his prey under water.

It seems Oprah has to explain everything.

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread ((PICS)) - 04/13/10 02:42 AM

I never knew they had eyes until I watched the video.
Posted By: coon trapper101

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread ((PICS)) - 04/14/10 11:01 PM

Anybody have any pics on how to use the victor O O S?

Thanks coon trapper101

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread ((PICS)) - 04/14/10 11:53 PM

There are pictures in this thread. Have you reviewed all 6 pages? The information is there!

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread ((PICS)) - 04/15/10 12:19 AM

Yes I have reread the thread but there's not really any step to step instructions.

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread ((PICS)) - 04/15/10 12:48 AM

Copy and paste this into your search engine-

http://www.victorpest.com/resource/uploads/victor-out-o'sight-mole-trap-instructions.pdf

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread ((PICS)) - 04/15/10 01:02 AM

Thanks.

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread ((PICS)) - 04/16/10 12:02 PM

I bet these could really make you look like an idiot. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DV3KkpCkjy4

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread ((PICS)) - 04/16/10 03:39 PM

awesome!! I want one!

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread ((PICS)) - 04/16/10 04:22 PM

Buy Bob Jameson's book......

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread ((PICS)) - 05/03/10 12:17 AM

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread ((PICS)) - 05/03/10 02:01 AM

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread ((PICS)) - 05/05/10 07:10 PM

I see you have the black ones. (Traps)

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread ((PICS)) - 05/05/10 11:00 PM

Had a mole get lost in my truck today that got piled over with some things. Got up to the 80's temp wise outside and probably 90 or more in the cap.Saw the flies after a couple more stops in the back and then the smell hit me when I opened the cap and dropped the tail gate. Finally found the bugger and pitched him.Wasnt in the back for more then about 6 hrs. They sure do decompose quickly.

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread ((PICS)) - 05/06/10 02:08 AM

Ahhahahahahahahahaaha...remind me to tell you the time a live one crawled through the truck into behind the back seat...and died!

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread ((PICS)) - 05/06/10 09:26 PM

Got one.

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread ((PICS)) - 05/07/10 03:34 AM

CONGRATS...NICE PALE ONE, TOO! smile

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread ((PICS)) - 05/07/10 03:41 AM

that one would go perfect in my collection!!

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread ((PICS)) - 05/07/10 03:45 AM

Originally Posted By: BUD25

wierdo

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread ((PICS)) - 05/07/10 03:52 AM

Originally Posted By: North Country

wierdo
ive got 15 mole skins dried... Im going to have something made in the fall with them... not sure what yet, maybe line a bomber hat with em...

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread ((PICS)) - 05/07/10 03:56 AM

how bout a speedo

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread ((PICS)) - 05/07/10 03:59 AM

Originally Posted By: North Country
how bout a speedo
wierdo

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread ((PICS)) - 05/07/10 04:00 AM

Mole skins can be tanned @ Gorlic's in N.Y. for about $2.00.

They are sold to fly tiers for $10.00 , who cut them into ultra thin strips and wrap hooks to make a "body" with them on hook shanks.
wink

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread ((PICS)) - 05/07/10 06:27 PM

You've said that in the past,,, whats their info?

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread ((PICS)) - 05/07/10 06:41 PM

Ever hear of GOOGLE? whistle
http://www.nystrappers.org/newsletter/newsletter/fall2006/page_14.pdf

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread ((PICS)) - 05/07/10 11:37 PM

Of course he has. Wears them every time he goes SCUBA diving!

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread ((PICS)) - 05/08/10 12:23 AM

Hahahahahaha you mean snorkel! smile

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread ((PICS)) - 05/08/10 01:31 AM

Originally Posted By: LAtrapper

Ever hear of GOOGLE? whistle
http://www.nystrappers.org/newsletter/newsletter/fall2006/page_14.pdf
nice, their email no longer works...

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread ((PICS)) - 05/08/10 02:00 PM

It worked for me. Here is the reply I received from them.
Quote:
Hi:
No. Mole skins would get lost in our operation. We have problems already with squirrel skins.
Have a nice weekend.

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread ((PICS)) - 05/14/10 03:21 AM

principal of word, if you say something, do it.
Posted By: jtptrap

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread ((PICS)) - 05/16/10 07:34 PM

Got my first mole job starting tomorrow ordered a dozen of steves traps. So hopefully I will be joining the superstar mole trappers.

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread ((PICS)) - 05/17/10 04:11 AM

Looking forward to hearing great things from you! smile

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread ((PICS)) - 05/19/10 04:16 AM

I'm in Indiana, but I'm receiving a lot of calls south of the river for mole service. I didn't come up with anything doing a advanced search. Does anyone know if you need any license or permits to trap moles in Ky?

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread ((PICS)) - 05/19/10 03:49 PM

I've done mole trapping in northern Ky. , but then I also had a permit for other animals.
Posted By: jtptrap

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread ((PICS)) - 05/19/10 04:52 PM

Well the day after setting my first mole job with a dozen of Steve's traps and I caught 4 of them. I would like to thank steve for getting them to me on time. I charges 300 for a week of trapping. The yard is about 7-10 acres and lots of mole sign and they have had problems with them for years.

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread ((PICS)) - 05/19/10 07:57 PM

I started a job yesterday. This property is on the corner with the other three corners being plowed fields. I think that when the fields are plowed it forces the moles out of the fields to the closest non-plowed land.

Any way, while I am setting 20 OOS on the job site, I hear one of the traps snap. Checking it I find a now very dead mole. laugh

As I am driving away, I look back to see that another trap had been snapped, but decided to what until this morning to check it. I found a mole in that trap and 3 others. grin This a personal best for me. 5 moles in a little over 12 hours on one site!

The owner told me the proof is in the pudding and he is very happy.

I also got this job because of the lettering on the side of my truck. Very sweet!

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread ((PICS)) - 05/19/10 09:17 PM

Good Job Rattie. We are all proud of you.

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread ((PICS)) - 05/20/10 03:51 AM

I've done mole trapping in northern Ky. , but then I also had a permit for other animals.

The best I've been able to come up with calling KY DNR is passed on to a voice mail.

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread ((PICS)) - 05/20/10 04:31 PM

(...He called you "Rattie! ' ) laugh

Ah, hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.....Love it!

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread ((PICS)) - 05/20/10 04:35 PM

......and yes, good job, Rattie.
You're becoming a pretty good mole trapper!

Now if you can catch a "Ghost mole", like 330 trapper, you will be at the top of your game, but not until! wink
Posted By: Mike K.

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread ((PICS)) - 05/20/10 10:10 PM

Funny how a trap snapping reminds me of a cash register ringing...hmmm.

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread ((PICS)) - 05/21/10 08:12 PM

Over 50% of my business about 6 months of the year, is mole work.
Posted By: Tapis

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread ((PICS)) - 06/13/10 12:16 AM

Hi,

New to mole trapping and this forum. I visit every other summer relatives in Europe, who have lots of moles in their vegetable garden. I promised to help get rid of them. I read all the posts and have a few questions:

1. Moles have very strong sense of smell, so is it okay to handle the traps with rubber gloves?
2. I've read somewhere new traps must be washed with rain water before first use to eliminate any human smell on them. Should I care? What precautions should I take with new traps?
3. What about rusted traps? How to maintain proper fonctioning without using WD-40?
4. Do Steve traps rust over time? Do they need at all to be replaced?

Thanks in advance!
Posted By: warrior

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread ((PICS)) - 06/13/10 12:34 AM

Don't worry about smell I see no difference between cleaned, out of the box or filthy.

As for as maintenance goes on the OSS the factory "dip" will last a good while when that wears thin either paint or speed dip will be fine.

Steve's traps are stainless.

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread ((PICS)) - 07/13/10 11:21 PM

Call 911 laugh

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread ((PICS)) - 07/14/10 03:14 AM

If you cover the traps with a small bucket it should work fine to conceal the dogs business.

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread ((PICS)) - 07/14/10 02:31 PM

Not sure I understand ...are you covering the trap with a bucket to avoid detection by the dogs?

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread ((PICS)) - 07/14/10 03:35 PM

My post was just mentioning, in a humorous fashion, that I believe the dog urinating on or near my traps was a why I had not caught any moles there and the reason for my increasing frustration. On rare occasions I do use a cover over my traps to prevent the family dog from digging them up. I think BUD was just offering a suggestion of using a bucket to prevent the dog from urinating on the traps.

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread ((PICS)) - 08/02/10 08:50 PM

Had 3 for 3 moles at 3 seperate houses today on long term contracts. No one to enjoy it but it sure is good to bat a thousand once in a while!
Posted By: bluebill

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread ((PICS)) - 08/02/10 10:16 PM

Call 911 laugh

LOL!!!
Posted By: willvalley

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread ((PICS)) - 08/11/10 03:42 AM

I just started on moles and thanks to LT's instructions on setting OUT O'SITES I have two down. That is on two jobs and one other that is kicking my fanny. I will get it but am having trouble with steve's traps. Some dug out, but think I have that figured out. It is the half dozen that were tripped, not dug around and empty I have not figured out but I will.
What is really nice is I am being paid to have fun.

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread ((PICS)) - 08/11/10 06:10 PM

Keep up the good work! smile

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread ((PICS)) - 08/12/10 01:20 AM

No moles today but got my first gopher. More then fun.

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread ((PICS)) - 08/12/10 01:52 AM

willvalley:

I am working Portland, if you need some advice on Steve's
traps or on Prices in Oregon. Email me at
Oldwestins@gmail.com.

Jerry W.

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread ((PICS)) - 08/12/10 02:29 AM

Just set up a grape vinyard... a lot of traps

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread ((PICS)) - 08/14/10 03:42 AM

Two more today thanks to LT GREY.
How does that go, a poet and don't know it.
I do have a large foot,14s.
Thanks again LT. It is getting fun.

This is my first happy customer.
Posted By: Tapis

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread - 08/29/10 03:01 AM

Unless the EasySet Mole Traps I used repeatedly last year without catching anything,
I got this year four moles, the two first from the same hole on my first attempt with the Trapline Mole Trap.

Thanks Mister Albano!

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread - 08/29/10 03:05 PM

Yes, and congrats on your success,Tapis.

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread - 10/08/10 10:37 AM

It's time to see this thread again.

We haven't had rain for months. Mostly clay type soil. The moles are deep like they would be for winter. All they are showing me are random erratic feeding type tunnels and no mounds. All of their travel seems to be in deep existing tunnels. How do you guys trap moles when all of their sign isn't used again?

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread - 10/08/10 05:14 PM

I just keep setting traps in the feeding tunnels and set
as many as possible. Eventually you will get the critter. I
use Steve's traps on these tunnels.

Jerry
Posted By: SteveAlbano

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread - 10/08/10 05:43 PM

Hey Tapis thanks for posting pictures, and glad your catching your moles. Those guys look small to me, maybe it just looks that way in the picture. Normally the moles should be a little larger the further north the location.

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread - 11/22/10 10:32 PM

We get them all sizes here, even this late !
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread - 11/23/10 12:01 PM

Last weeks catch for a "Landscaper" He wants me back as soon as its spring... Caught two for him the first night setting up before the big Snow dump. Its good to impress a man with a large business himself... lots of cards will be passed out

**Thanks LT** grin

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread - 11/29/10 03:31 PM

...just in time for Christmas ! wink

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread - 02/07/11 11:11 PM

TTT - Just in case anyone wants to get up to date before the podcast.
Posted By: Robb Russell

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread - 02/09/11 04:47 AM

Originally Posted By: METRO FS
TTT - Just in case anyone wants to get up to date before the podcast.

Thursday night will be the third time I have done a podcast with Steve Albano and our fifth related mole & gopher trapping podcast.

Here are four podcasts in our archives http://thewildlifepro.com/robb-russell-first-three-years-mole-trapping-podcasts/

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread - 02/11/11 12:01 AM

Might Mole Trappers Podcast With Steve Albano
8 PM EST 10 Feb 2011

One hour from podcast time so here is the contact info. Don't forget Kirk DeKalb is Sunday Night too on our only beaver trapping podcast for 2011.

To participate dial in 1-724-444-7444 the call is free if you have a special night calling plan. Just don't call in until the calling plan is in effect . One minute early and you can get a phone bill from your carrier.

Listen live or to any podcast in the archives here http://sitesbyrobb.com/our-podcasts/
Posted By: RockyinOP

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread - 02/11/11 03:06 AM

Does anyone develop "partnerships" with landscaping companies to get mole work? Is it worth the time/effort to contact those guys?

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread - 02/11/11 03:27 AM

Usually just referral based. I won't exchange money or barter services as someone will always feel they got short changed. The professional courtesy of just referring work makes it easier for you to look each other in the eye. I have several lawn companies that I exchange referrals with and it goes a long way with winning the trust of the new prospect.

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread - 02/11/11 04:44 AM

Click To Listen To Podcast

Or from the archives. http://sitesbyrobb.com/beekeeping-wildlife-control-web-design-and-development-podcasts/

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread - 02/13/11 10:29 PM

During the podcast there was discussion of properly setting Steve's trap to improve catch efficiency. Steve said to push the legs into the dirt when you are bedding the traps. please excuse my ignorance, but which legs would that be? the vertical "tines" (B on the instruction sheet)? or the horizontal that goes to the tines?

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread - 02/13/11 11:07 PM

Hey cubs, hope this helps. It's a hard thing to explain in words, here's a video showing what I was trying to say the other night...

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread - 02/14/11 02:17 AM

Thanks steve! Is that a new video? or did you have it on your site last year. don't remember that one.

What do you recommend for tethers? do you make your own or buy them premade?

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread - 02/14/11 03:36 AM

We do make our own tethers, out of 1/16th inch stainless steel cable and 1/16th inch copper dual swaging sleeves, crimped with a swaging tool We get supplies at online "rigging supply" outlets. The cable is medium flexible, with a 7X7 strand configuration.

But if you only have a few traps, nylon strings or cords work fine, and are a lot less trouble to put on. And a lot of guys tell me that stainless steel fishing leaders work great.

I think that video has been up there for awhile. Pretty sure it was up last year.
Posted By: DAVE SALYS-CWCP

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread - 02/14/11 03:40 PM

I went to my local fishing store(Cabelas) and bought several dozen SS swiveled fishing leaders, 45# test 24" long. The swivel is a great feature as it keeps the leader from flipping the trap on its side when you thread the leader out of the burrow and lets any trapped gophers roll around without kinking it. I only have a few dozen traps, if you have hundreds it might be cheaper to buy leader material and crimps, of course time is money.

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread - 02/17/11 02:46 PM

Set my first mole job yesterday; actually its not a paying job. A guy I know from church is letting me try out Steve's traps at his business.

The mole activity is confined to the strip of grass between the building/parking lot and the street. At the north end is a stump, there is what appears to be a main travel tunnel that runs about 100ft along the parking lot and then to another stump at the south end.

What bothers me is that what I believe to be the main travel tunnel is near the surface, not 4 - 6 inches under ground. Also the activity near the stumps is right at the surface; the snow cover just melted would that explain the activity at the surface?

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread - 02/17/11 03:04 PM

Looks like our vole runs underneath the snow.

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread - 02/17/11 04:00 PM

Paul: the whole thing looks like voles? or the activity by the stump?

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread - 02/17/11 04:16 PM

Since we don't have any moles in this part of the country, I'm not real sure. I would say all of it but I could be wrong.

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread ((PICS)) - 02/27/11 03:09 PM

Originally Posted By: coon trapper101
Got one.

I have been looking for pics of modifications to out-o-sight traps, found this one showing the rod filed at the end. Anyone else have photos of modifications?

I plan to remove the safety's off my traps (don't tell the lawyers!). Can the trigger be bent a certain way (up/down) to improve performance?

Thanks
Rocky

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread ((PICS)) - 03/03/11 10:22 PM

FINALLY caught my first two!

This was my first mole job. Almost the entire yard (about 3/4 of a acre) was a feeding area. I finally figured out where they were coming out of the woods and set eight traps yesterday. This afternoon I had two. We'll see if there are any more.

Got a lot of good info from this thread and a phone conversation yesterday morning with Randy Hushower.

Thanks,

Phil

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread ((PICS)) - 03/13/11 02:54 PM

Caught a mole by the front foot yesterday and it was dead!?! Anyone else seen this before?

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread ((PICS)) - 03/13/11 03:17 PM

I have never seen that, but you still got em though!
Posted By: Jonesie

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread ((PICS)) - 03/13/11 05:35 PM

top pic looks vole

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread ((PICS)) - 03/19/11 11:07 PM

Not catching as many moles as I think I should be, need some advice to bolster my confidence. I am using mostly Out-of-sights and a few of Steve's traps.

One of the jobs I am currently working on is a double estate lot, so 3/8 - 1/2 acre, they've had moles "for years". The mole hills are huge; the hills and surface tunnels cover more than half the property. I have been using a 3/16 steel rod to locate the deep runs near the hills, then I dig down to expose the tunnel. I then either insert steve's traps or refill the tunnel with loose dirt and pat it down with my hand and position the trap. I have 10 OSS's and 6 of steve's traps on the property and have only caught 2 moles in a week (a week of very nice weather).

Today I pulled out about 6 of the traps to make sure the moles weren't digging around the traps and I see no evidence of this.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread ((PICS)) - 03/20/11 04:51 AM

Rockyinop:

Two moles can dig a lot of mounds. I rake out all mounds after setting traps, wait two days and
then reset traps around fresh mounds. You may have caught all the moles in the area.

Jerry

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread ((PICS)) - 03/20/11 05:13 AM

I agree with Jerry, two moles on half an acre can do a lot of damage. Maybe that's all they have right now.
Posted By: Frank Bates

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread ((PICS)) - 03/20/11 05:47 AM

You can't catch them if they are not there.

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread ((PICS)) - 03/20/11 06:28 AM

I use a lot of traps on a mole job. When they are mound building I look for new mounds; the ones formed since your last visit. They normally travel in some sort of line. I set the traps in the tunnel under the next to last mound in that line.

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread ((PICS)) - 03/20/11 12:44 PM

does my methodology for setting the OSS's sound correct? Is there a way to properly set these traps without disturbing the tunnel. I guess I am concerned that I'm getting "refusals" because they run into the loose dirt.
Posted By: matuka

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread ((PICS)) - 11/03/11 01:28 AM

I think I finally got the hang of this mole trapping.......business is growing like crazy...........total moles and gophers trapped since June 2011 is 623..........and several hundred traps in the ground......fun times.
Posted By: b fuller

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread ((PICS)) - 11/04/11 08:33 PM

Originally Posted By: RockyinOP
Caught a mole by the front foot yesterday and it was dead!?! Anyone else seen this before?

Even a foul catch will often result in a dead mole. The high metabolism of moles ensure that they need to feed very often, so they starve quickly if without food. Those traps look good, but have a look at the Talpa's from the UK, i believe they are very good indeed and not as big as the trap pictured. I've had about 30 moles this week.

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread ((PICS)) - 11/04/11 08:39 PM

Originally Posted By: RockyinOP
Not catching as many moles as I think I should be, need some advice to bolster my confidence. I am using mostly Out-of-sights and a few of Steve's traps.

One of the jobs I am currently working on is a double estate lot, so 3/8 - 1/2 acre, they've had moles "for years". The mole hills are huge; the hills and surface tunnels cover more than half the property. I have been using a 3/16 steel rod to locate the deep runs near the hills, then I dig down to expose the tunnel. I then either insert steve's traps or refill the tunnel with loose dirt and pat it down with my hand and position the trap. I have 10 OSS's and 6 of steve's traps on the property and have only caught 2 moles in a week (a week of very nice weather).

Today I pulled out about 6 of the traps to make sure the moles weren't digging around the traps and I see no evidence of this.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

When approaching such an area i flatten the molehills as i set traps. Then i can see where the activity is. We use a combination of 'duffus' and 'talpa' type traps and i have to say that they're effective. If the mole ever fills in the Duffus he will be caught with a Talpa. I have tried the @Trapline' type trap and i caugh, but i don't rate them like i do the other two. For one thing you can tell at a glance if there has been a trap spring, without opening the tunnel up to check. We all like our own thing though. What is worth remembering is that one little mole can make one [Please excuse my language... I'm an idiot] of alot of mess! I've been on places that have had 30-40 hills and only got 2 moles. Good luck.

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread ((PICS)) - 11/08/11 04:50 PM

I frequently find moles captured on various parts of their body. However, here's a first for me. This mole was captured by the nape of his neck & back and then continued to pull the trap through the tunnel until it expired. (You can actually see the fold of skin that was in the trap)

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread ((PICS)) - 11/08/11 05:21 PM

BTW Rocky - After I receive an order of traps I go over every one of them. The first thing I do is remove all of the safetys so they are not inadvertently on when I leave the job. Nothing like doing a trap check and finding sprung traps with the safety on! I then use a file to at least round off the end of the trigger as the shearing leaves a raised area - and some may need more than others. I occasionally bend a trigger/rod but not very often. The stress of the set trap will usually bend it enough over time. I also file down any unusual amounts of cast flashing while I'm filing to prevent cuts and abrasions. I then make sure the end of jaws do not hit each other when closing and will use a flat screwdriver to adjust them as needed. I like a 1/2" of travel on my pans so the trigger may need to be filed down to allow for this. Then the traps are set up overnight on a table to see if any trip and need further adjustment. I also touch up the paint where I have filed and all other traps are painted twice during the season. I am a firm believer that if you take care of these traps they will last for many years. Even though I have experimented with stainless additions to the trap I found that the cost and labor involved did not warrant it as it is cheaper to buy another new trap. I have some other tweaks that I won't disclose but those are the main ones that every new trap receives. Over time you will find what works good for you as well.

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 01/07/12 06:23 PM

TTT - Just in case you missed out...

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 01/08/12 10:54 AM

Originally Posted By: Bob Jameson
Dont over compress the tunnel area below the trap trigger pan. Some commonly do this and cause a refusal or dig around,over or under the tightly compressed area. When I compress a tunnel I use my thumb and fore finger to pull and tear the soil and push down until there is a finger sized hole left at the bottom of the tunnel.This is a nose probe guide and lets them know the tunnel is still there and can be reopened easily. Push and position your trap while firmly placing the trigger on top of the depressed area.

Just sounds like a mechanics problem with setting I believe.Some dont catch on to mole tunnel setting quickly. Some do. Also make sure you are setting at the level of the tunnel for good interception. At times you need to dig down to allow good positioning to occur also.

Somebody copy this and send it to Bud25.....maybe he'll listen to Mr. Jameson !

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread ((PICS)) - 01/08/12 10:56 AM

Originally Posted By: willvalley
Two more today thanks to LT GREY.
How does that go, a poet and don't know it.
I do have a large foot,14s.
Thanks again LT. It is getting fun.

This is my first happy customer.

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 01/08/12 06:45 PM

Originally Posted By: Bob Jameson

Somebody copy this and send it to Bud25.....maybe he'll listen to Mr. Jameson !

Bob Jameson is truly a professional in all aspects, one man worth taking pointers from. Very humble and understanding in his ways. I set mole traps, I catch moles. it works for me!

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 01/09/12 02:44 AM

Oh, how you do go on... laugh grin

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 01/09/12 02:55 AM

Quote:
Dont over compress the tunnel area below the trap trigger pan. Some commonly do this and cause a refusal or dig around,over or under the tightly compressed area.

Yes, I agree with this advice, but I think it applies equally whether you're just using your thumbs to push down an area just under the pan, or whether you're digging out and collapsing a rectangular area of soil for the entire trap.

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 01/10/12 12:27 AM

I feel that I'm pretty adept at catching moles. This job has me scratchin my head, not really the catching part, but rather how do the moles get to this isolated island of landscaping around a hotel flagpole? From everything I know of mole behavior they must either push the soil up or bring it up into a mound to travel. There are not mounds or tunnels across the paved parking lot. Did they climb over the 8" curb, jump, mole eggs stuck to a birds foot? lol

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 01/10/12 12:49 AM

I have had commercial accounts such as strip centers in high traffic areas where the moles popped up in the islands of turf that were no more than 10' x 20' and surrounded by hundreds of feet of pavement. I was always amazed at how far they would dig under the pavement and at times just thought they parachuted in at night.
Posted By: LBEE

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 01/10/12 01:36 AM

I have seen Moles running on top of the Ground to another location.

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 01/10/12 09:54 AM

Was that during a heavy rain storm ?

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 01/10/12 09:55 AM

Originally Posted By: Hanible
I feel that I'm pretty adept at catching moles. This job has me scratchin my head, not really the catching part, but rather how do the moles get to this isolated island of landscaping around a hotel flagpole? From everything I know of mole behavior they must either push the soil up or bring it up into a mound to travel. There are not mounds or tunnels across the paved parking lot. Did they climb over the 8" curb, jump, mole eggs stuck to a birds foot? lol

They traveled under the pavement !

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 01/11/12 03:37 AM

[/quote]

They traveled under the pavement ! [/quote]

Yeah, I figured that. What I'm curious about is in everything I've studied they must raise a tunnel or make a series of mounds if tunneling more than a few inches deep. What do they do with their diggings to get under the approx. 60ft. of paved parking lot?
Posted By: 1st RiverRat

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 01/11/12 03:55 AM

I have been using the mole spade its fast and has been workin well for me. I am intrested in this "nose guide" That Mr Jameson talks about. I dont seem to have many refusals or go arounds but am all ears for learnin nobody knows it all.

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 01/13/12 02:36 PM

I make my nose cones out of clay...right on site...
Posted By: onenut

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread ((PICS)) - 01/15/12 06:30 PM

What is the benefit to traping moles, I trap, never a mole. I have seen them or seen what they have done to my yard and veg. garden. So besides the fact that your yard will be free of holes, what is the real benefit to traping moles.
Posted By: TJP

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread ((PICS)) - 01/15/12 10:39 PM

Only one mole for the past 2 days. We had a cold front come through but now it's trying to warm back up!

TJ
Posted By: 1st RiverRat

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread ((PICS)) - 01/16/12 02:30 AM

Originally Posted By: onenut
What is the benefit to traping moles, I trap, never a mole. I have seen them or seen what they have done to my yard and veg. garden. So besides the fact that your yard will be free of holes, what is the real benefit to traping moles.

$$$

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread - 01/16/12 03:32 AM

River rat is right, we professional ADC guys trap moles because people are willing to pay us to do it.

But why do our clients want to get rid of them? I trap both gophers and moles, and the gophers eat and kill plants, so there's no question about getting rid of them in a landscape. You really have to get rid of them, as they are so destructive. Moles don't eat plants, they eat worms and insects, but they can do a lot of cosmetic damage to a landscape. Personally, I don't care that much about mole signs in my own yard, but the cosmetic damage that moles do does matter a lot to some people. We professional mole trappers tend to wind up working for fairly wealthy folks who have put a lot of money into having a nice looking garden, and the simply don't want to see the disruption and dirt piles that moles cause. It's important to them, and that's what matters.

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread - 01/16/12 06:50 AM

Steve is right, in my own yard they can dig anywhere but my lawn. I have Cemeteries and Parks as my clients and not only do the
mounds look unsightly they cause major problems with mowing. Most people either catch their own moles or just let them alone, but the
few that call us usually have big bucks in their landscaping. That is why without a large population it would be difficult to trap moles and
make any profit.

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread - 02/20/12 04:34 PM

Originally Posted By: Jerry Westin
Steve is right, in my own yard they can dig anywhere but my lawn. I have Cemeteries and Parks as my clients and not only do the
mounds look unsightly they cause major problems with mowing. Most people either catch their own moles or just let them alone, but the
few that call us usually have big bucks in their landscaping. That is why without a large population it would be difficult to trap moles and
make any profit.

x2 !

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread - 02/21/12 02:55 PM

Mighty Mole Trappers Night 2012

I can already tell you that if mole trapping is your thing then this Next Sunday Night is your night. I even have a few surprise guests so don't even miss a minute of this weeks podcast Sunday Feb 26, 2012 8 PM EST Podcast.
http://www.skinnymoose.com/wildlifepro/2012/02/21/next-sunday-is-mighty-mole-trappers-night-2012/

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread - 02/22/12 06:11 PM

Steve Albano of Trapline Products is one of my guests this Sunday night. I have the first podcast ready for download here http://www.skinnymoose.com/wildlifepro/2...s-podcast-2012/ I ever did with him and how he got into the mole trapping business. Listen and learn from his mole and pocket gopher trapping business story April 13, 2008

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread - 02/26/12 07:25 PM

Just a reminder we only do moles one night a year and tonight is the night.

Here is a list of all the podcasts we have done in the past. Tonight's podcast will be added to our mole trapping archive here. http://moletrapper.us/podcasts/

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread - 02/27/12 01:42 PM

My thanks to Jordan Budenski who stopped by and told us about his new trap attachment for the Victor OOS.

STAINLESS STEEL UPGRADE KITS FOR THE OOS THAT WILL VIRTUALLY STOP TRAP MAINTENANCE AND INCREASE CAPTURES WITH A MORE CONSISTANT TRAP PAN TENSION.

I was also joined by Stephen Albano , Alan Huot, David Mcleod and Mike Kerr.

Listen to the podcast here. http://moletrapper.us/podcasts/mighty-mole-trapping-night-2012/

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread - 03/02/12 04:27 PM

A few I got the other day from a couple of fields. I'm averaging 80+a week.

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread - 03/03/12 03:28 AM

awesome, duffus, and talpex traps of choice?

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread - 03/03/12 06:02 PM

Hey thanks for posting the pic B fuller. Look how many mole mounds there are in the background of the picture. Amazing.

What factors influence when you use the duffus and when you use the talpex, and which trap do you use more often?

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread - 03/03/12 06:08 PM

awesome, duffus, and talpex traps of choice?
Yes BUD, i try to use the duffus types firstly on the agricultural jobs at this time of year, then follow up with the talpex for any 'difficult' critters.

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread - 03/03/12 06:14 PM

Originally Posted By: SteveAlban
Hey thanks for posting the pic B fuller. Look how many mole mounds there are in the background of the picture. Amazing.

What factors influence when you use the duffus and when you use the talpex, and which trap do you use more often?

Hi Steve, i got 38 out of that field alone, theres well over 600 mole hills in that one field. Never seen anything like it.

On a 'domestic' job when theres going to be one or two moles i generally use the talpex mainly, but with the odd duffus, but on agricultural stuff i hit 'em real heavy with the duffus, each one fine tuned, then any clever 'trap-fillers' are dealt with by the Talpex on the next trip round. Duffus are very very good traps and you can catch a mole in each side. At this time of year doubles are common. I have done four jobs today, two farm jobs and a private freebie for a friend and lifted 8 traps on another place that had 5 moles in them.
IMO the pro's of Duffus type are:
Cheap to buy.
easy to set.
can double catch.
light to carry.

cons: can be backfilled by the suspicious mole.

I will post some more photies when i get onto the next big job this week.

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread - 03/05/12 03:43 PM

Steve, how about re-posting your video on here about HOW TO SET ALBANO TRAPS.
I get a pm every few weeks from trappers asking me how to set one..

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread - 03/05/12 05:01 PM

Steve is probably busy setting and checking traps. Here is the link to a couple of his videos- http://www.traplineproducts.com/moles.html

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread - 03/14/12 05:14 PM

Another day, another dollar.

Busy at this time of year with the phone red-hot. First job was an airport, just the final lifting of the traps, i got four moles, so that's that for another year. Then onto a dairy farm where i got a good haul yesterday.Managed to trap a few more including two in the Talpa's. Then straight onto a place with a million and one mole hills. The trap to moles ratio was poor and we only lifted 8 moles out of 30 traps! But theres always tomorrow i guess, every day can't be a good one for numbers.
Heres a few piccys, that's if anyones interested. Bobby.

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread - 03/17/12 02:26 PM

Very nice !
Posted By: Nic Pallo

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread - 03/17/12 11:50 PM

Nice indeed!
Posted By: ponyboy

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread - 03/18/12 06:27 PM

I would like more info on pricing. I read the whole post and may have missed pricing options. PM if you like.

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread - 03/18/12 10:25 PM

Pricing - only you can price your services. This topic is kind of redundant like many others and there is info in the archives that may help you estimate what you should charge. Only you will know the true cost of doing business once you start. For starters, if you are going to work from home, your initial costs will include equipment, insurance, vehicle/fuel/maintenance, advertising, cell phone(s), office supplies/equipment, educational materials, memberships and various software, contracts or forms. Then you have to factor in the demographics and competition for your area and try to conclude what you can reasonably charge in order to compete, draw a fair wage and grow your business. Then there are taxes, accountants, attorneys and aspirin as needed for all the headaches you will get. ;-)
Posted By: warrior

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread II - 03/18/12 10:36 PM

Quote:

Yeah, I figured that. What I'm curious about is in everything I've studied they must raise a tunnel or make a series of mounds if tunneling more than a few inches deep. What do they do with their diggings to get under the approx. 60ft. of paved parking lot?

In my almost a decade of time doing nuisance work I have seen a grand total of one job that had mounds but this is in Alabama and Georgia.
Posted By: ponyboy

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread - 03/19/12 12:17 AM

What does $99.00 get the customer on your website?

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread - 03/20/12 06:37 PM

Had the traps set out yesterday so been for a check-up today. Three fields we got 20 critters, but i know a couple have been missed as they have filled the traps. So time for the Talpa's on them. Then went and set another three fields on a new farm that, if all goes well, should be a good place for making a solid income for years to come. Hope i get a few! Here are todays...

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread - 03/24/12 09:26 PM

Can someone post a couple pics of the setters for the OOS? I picked up some second hand OOS traps less the setters. It would be easier to just order a set but I like to make whatever I can.

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread - 03/24/12 09:52 PM

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread - 03/24/12 10:10 PM

PERFECT, MANY THANKS!

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread - 03/25/12 02:46 AM

Originally Posted By: rohoe
Can someone post a couple pics of the setters for the OOS? I picked up some second hand OOS traps less the setters. It would be easier to just order a set but I like to make whatever I can.

Take some advice from someone who traps moles as a living...put those tongs in a heavy duty VICE and squeeze them down, skinnier.
Using them like the ones picture will have you cursing by days end....then paint them florescent orange......you can thank me later ! wink

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread - 03/25/12 03:34 PM

I made mine skinnier too LT, easier to hold on to. Didn't have orange so I painted them red wink

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread - 03/25/12 04:09 PM

set 2 traps last night. Had this bugger this morning.

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread - 03/25/12 08:54 PM

Ha, got another one of them lil suckers. I guess I'm doin' it right?

The grass is tall so it's hard to see the tunnels. This is how I'm setting, is there a better way? Or am I over thinking it?

Posted By: Frank Bates

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread - 03/25/12 10:52 PM

Looks to me like you have got it.

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread - 03/25/12 11:36 PM

I see a 4 leaf clover ! grin

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread - 03/25/12 11:45 PM

WHERE? I need all the luck I can get laugh

Found a 5 leaf last year. my mom can find them like nobody's business, just be walking down the road, glance over and "oh look, a 4 leaf clover!" can't count how many times she's done that.

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread - 03/26/12 10:41 AM

I haven't used those setters in years. I use the wooden handle on the garden trowel I always have with me. I can set a trap from safety position to set in a couple seconds. Lay tray on its side, pop in the handle against spring and shorter jaw hoop, press and set.
Tripped position takes a second longer.

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread - 03/26/12 02:16 PM

left of the trap about 2.5 inches in the photo....

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread - 03/26/12 10:33 PM

I took the safety off after covering if you look at pic #4 wink

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread - 03/27/12 03:52 AM

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

I'm not really interested in your little "Gotcha" game with the photos, but I've kept the safety hooks on my OOSs for several reasons:

First, they keep the jaws from snatching up dirt and grass when I trip the empties to pull. No need to fear dry-fires, a bane of the newer Chinese OOSs with inconsistent jaw spacing.

Second, setting them from "safe" the way I do with a trowel handle requires a shorter arc which saves time and effort. Heck, I can even speedset by stepping on one jaw and pulling up on the opposite. No lever or trowel needed.

I spend the time it would take to tear off the safety by tweaking that sloppy pan, which probably accounts for more misses than we realize.

I always (except that first spring job!) remember to flip the safety; it's part of my setting routine. So, in a way, I guess you're right: only idiots will leave the safety on.

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread - 03/27/12 04:24 AM

There are 20 pages of the Mighty Mole Trapper. How many more before he finally gets it straight?
Posted By: purplebuck

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread - 03/28/12 04:04 PM

I recently had my first mole trapping experience with a friend of mine. I used a tool he designed and put out about 18-20 Victor Out of Sight traps in about 15 minutes. (They were the first mole traps I ever set.) I ended up with 7 tripped traps and seven moles, no misfires. He claims I am a fast learner, but I had a good teacher! Thanks LT!

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread - 03/28/12 04:30 PM

Catching a mole ain't too hard, making a living out of it, well, that aint too easy. The main thing is advertising and being able to talk to folks. With those two criteria ticked you're in with a chance. Trapping the little black velvet gentleman's the easy part!!

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread - 03/28/12 06:08 PM

How about some of these inventors show us these "super" tools and show us how they work?

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread - 03/28/12 08:04 PM

Originally Posted By: purplebuck
I recently had my first mole trapping experience with a friend of mine. I used a tool he designed and put out about 18-20 Victor Out of Sight traps in about 15 minutes. (They were the first mole traps I ever set.) I ended up with 7 tripped traps and seven moles, no misfires. He claims I am a fast learner, but I had a good teacher! Thanks LT!

laugh Thanks...The right tool in the right hands, does make a world of difference !

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread - 03/29/12 12:26 AM

How about some of these inventors show us these "super" tools and show us how they work?

I will have a video on adcnetwork sometime in April !

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread - 03/30/12 11:51 AM

Here in KC we had 3 inches of rain in 4 days, that's a lot for us, and then 3 or 4 days of temps in the 70's. I expected mole activity to explode as the nightcrawlers moved to the surface, but everything has gone quiet. I haven't caught a mole since it started raining. Do you think the nightcrawlers moving up is actually working against me? Shouldn't I be seeing feeding tunnels at/near the surface?

Once again, I'm so confused!

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread - 03/31/12 07:50 PM

Sometimes it rains so hard, the moles go deep to avoid the mud...
Posted By: trapper4hire

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread ((PICS)) - 04/10/12 12:18 PM

Got these two yesterday
Posted By: wiggler

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread ((PICS)) - 04/10/12 12:34 PM

im sure this has been asked... but does anyone on Our side of the pond use the traps that guy in the UK does? can we get those over here? someone decided to break into my garage and take off with about 80 albano traps this winter.. sure am glad i get to replace all those!!! GRRrrrrrrrrr

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread ((PICS)) - 04/10/12 03:42 PM

Quote:
someone decided to break into my garage and take off with about 80 albano traps this winter

What a bummer, nothing worse than getting broken into and ripped off. Seems like an odd item to steal, though. I would think it would be pretty hard to fence stolen mole traps.
Posted By: Peskycritter

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread ((PICS)) - 04/10/12 03:51 PM

They could of thought they could sell them for scrap metal ,maybe check out the scrap yards and ask them . These days selling scrap they take a thumb print and all kinds of info
Posted By: dayn

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread - 04/24/12 04:16 AM

I will have a video on adcnetwork sometime in April !

Keep me updated, I still have a Benjamin bill with your name on it... wink
Posted By: dayn

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread - 04/30/12 06:27 AM

Benjamin and a quarter??? HeHe!

Come on LT, we wanna see the video, you have definately sold the sizzle....Now wheres the steak (Stern look)
Posted By: TJP

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread - 05/02/12 10:32 PM

Caught my biggest mole.

And thats steve's pocket gopher trap!

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread - 05/17/12 09:13 PM

Very nice job !

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread - 03/08/13 02:35 AM

TTT
Posted By: roe

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread - 03/08/13 04:22 PM

Well, I've been getting a few of late. Did four jobs today and just had another two phone calls as well.

D'you know what I call these fella's?.........' Black Gold!

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread - 03/09/13 05:26 AM

Awesome... Haven't had a double with the same trap yet.... I have a dozen duffus traps ill have to try smile awesome pics...
Now if only oos setting tools would make it to open market grin

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread - 03/10/13 06:41 PM

todays.....
Posted By: On a Call

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread - 03/10/13 10:21 PM

Nice haul !

Looks like a rug to me smile
Posted By: coast trapper

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread - 03/11/13 04:17 PM

How deep re your average runs over there and do you set these traps in surface runs and also in the deeper ones? Good job on the pictures.

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread - 03/11/13 05:26 PM

most are 3-6 inches
Posted By: TRapper

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread - 03/12/13 04:06 AM

Originally Posted By: roe
todays.....

nice that is about a $1,200 day here LOL

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread - 03/12/13 07:21 AM

Ha! I wish over here...thats only about £160
Posted By: Ship

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread - 04/03/13 09:39 AM

Finally found the legendary Tman marathon mole thread!

Photographed this morning, hope you like it smile. Seems even a castle watchtower is no defence against moles at this time of year.

Sat quietly and watched it building one of the molehills, nice start to the day.

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread - 04/03/13 01:26 PM

Welcome Ship and nice pic.

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread - 05/02/13 02:24 PM

Originally Posted By: Ship

Finally found the legendary Tman marathon mole thread!

Photographed this morning, hope you like it smile. Seems even a castle watchtower is no defence against moles at this time of year.

Sat quietly and watched it building one of the molehills, nice start to the day.

Just think of the view from up in that watch tower! You could sneak past the guards, swing on a chandelier up to the staircase and stand on the watchtower capturing a view of the patterns the moles made and how they run their tunnels from up there.. then.. sword fight your way down, because you know the guards would be chasing you. Whistle for your trusty steed, and ride off the the hills to get your traps..then trap those moles like they were biscuits coming out of the oven on a cold winter morning!!=) maybe?=)
Posted By: NFT

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread - 05/02/13 08:09 PM

My first. Got $10 for this one grin

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread - 07/12/13 11:08 PM

TTT
Posted By: fullerton

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread - 07/29/13 08:17 PM

I have read this and several other threads but am still having difficulty trapping the small moles in this sandy soil around here. I got lucky and caught these tiny moles a couple of months back but, despite continued activity, no further luck. Their primary paths along sidewalks, driveways, garden beds and foundations seem clear to me. I have "tuned" the trigger to increase sensitivity. There is an occasional false trigger but mostly the tunnels and traps appear untouched. I have tried pushing the trap in the soil and pressing in the tunnel near the trigger pan and have also dug out a segment of tunnel, placed the trap and back filled. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help.

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread - 07/29/13 08:39 PM

O/S traps sometimes are just not sensitive enough to catch juvenile moles at times. You can see this at times if you pay attention to the dirt around the trap.They may dig around, over or under the depressed tunnel area below the trigger set to continue on their path of travel if you have compressed the tunnel dirt too tightly. You need to use Steve Albano's clutch type traps or no mole traps to catch the smaller moles when you suspect this is occuring.
Posted By: fullerton

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread - 07/30/13 12:04 AM

I will go ahead and order some of Steve's traps. I read that they were harder to use in sandy soil, but I'll give it a shot. I really appreciate the help.
Posted By: mousie

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread - 07/30/13 02:16 PM

Posted By: NFT

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread - 07/30/13 02:30 PM

Nice work mousie

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread - 08/01/13 03:07 PM

She's the best !
Posted By: On a Call

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread - 08/02/13 07:06 AM

She runs the traps LT talked me into.
Posted By: SnareLine

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread - 08/07/13 05:16 PM

I am a bit late with my standard welcoming message for any ladies who venture onto Trapperman; please forgive me, for I have been a bit occupied lately:

WHAT A WOMAN! Welcome to T-Man! blush

LT GREY spoke very highly of you long before you joined, by the way...
Posted By: Scully

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread - 08/09/13 08:46 PM

Anyone catch star nosed or hairy tailed moles ? Please contact me if you have any. I know I should be posting in the trap shed, but I wanted to go directly to the mole experts. Thanks
Posted By: SwedishPimple

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread - 11/08/13 02:22 PM

New poster here and this is a great thread with a wealth of info! I just purchased a home in SE Michigan near some wetlands and have some moles. I wouldn't call it an issue yet, but want to get on top of it before ground freezes. I'm trying to figure out which mole traps (trapline, modified OOS, nomol, other) to try first based on what I believe to be happening.

The only place I have standard mole runs (lifted dirt paths) is in the mulched area around the house and along the sidewalk. I've read trapping in this type of loose soil can be difficult, so want to make sure I buy the right trap.

I have not seen standard mole runs in the yard, but I have seen piles of dirt pushed up in the wet areas and near a small pond. This leads me to believe I have at least star-nosed moles in the lawn. Unsure what is in the mulch near house.

Based on this information, what do you guys recommend trying for both situations?

Thanks in advance!

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread - 11/08/13 05:19 PM

You have a choice of buying a few Modified OOS and Trapline traps and finding out what mole traps work best for you or better yet hire a local WCO !!!

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread - 11/08/13 06:38 PM

In your area and hearing of the activity/damage area I would say it is star nosed moles for sure. Being they are a smaller mole on average I would opt for the Trapline clutch type traps to put into the runs. They sometimes will dig under the O/S type traps without firing the trap. In that case a piece of luan or thin plywood needs to be installed into the bottom of the run first to eliminate this problem. It requires some experience to get that method down pat.

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread - 11/08/13 06:50 PM

@Robb -- I have to try it myself first!

@Bob -- Thanks, I read somewhere that the traplines were tough in mulch. As Robb stated, maybe I'll have to buy both and figure out what works best.

Thanks guys, great forum!

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread - 11/08/13 10:41 PM

@Swedish Pimple

If you read the whole thread here mole trap preferences here are almost like Religion. Find a trap and methods that work for you. Pssssst they are both great traps and preferred by probabaly 90% of those posting here with No Mol being a third choice. .

Is there a story behind your nickname "Swedish Pimple"

I have a lot of tips on mole trapping on our mole trapping podcasts page

http://moletrapper.us/podcasts/ Good luck mole trapping!!

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread - 11/12/13 05:19 AM

Thanks, Robb. I have read the entire thread and it sounds like I should try both to figure out which works for me.

Swedish Pimple is my favorite fishing lure made in the U.P.: http://www.swedishpimple.com/

I will be watching your podcasts -- thanks!

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread - 03/13/14 04:39 PM

TTT
Posted By: Throw Back

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread ((PICS)) - 03/17/14 04:00 PM

Originally Posted By: SteveAlbano
Here's some moles I took off a huge estate today. Yes, there are a couple of weird looking ones.

I have been looking for mole traps. What happens if the mole approaches from the wrong direction?

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread ((PICS)) - 03/17/14 04:31 PM

We don't have any moles so I don't know what I'm looking at but those smaller ones look like our voles.

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread ((PICS)) - 03/17/14 05:32 PM

Looks like about half moles and half voles.

We catch quite a few shrews every year in our Albano traps.

We have switched to Steves traps for 80% of our mole work in the last few years.We still use some O/S and spears for the very shallow runs. I just ordered several dozen more last week.

We have had alot of mole calls in the last few weeks. Should be a busy spring and early summer if it doesnt get to hot too fast to dry things out on the surface. Last year was a bumper year for us on the moles. I think I will stay off the ladders for the most part this year and run mole jobs all year. I will leave the ladder work to the young and the restless.

The pest control guys will use their gummy worms for a while then we will have to go in and clean things up as usual like we do every year. Just more work for us and more expense for the consumer.
Posted By: dspree

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread ((PICS)) - 03/17/14 05:33 PM

Originally Posted By: Throw Back
Originally Posted By: SteveAlbano
Here's some moles I took off a huge estate today. Yes, there are a couple of weird looking ones.

I have been looking for mole traps. What happens if the mole approaches from the wrong direction?

With Steve's traps you use two traps per run. one facing each direction.
Posted By: Getting There

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread ((PICS)) - 02/27/19 11:34 PM

I anyone down South trapping mole yet?

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread ((PICS)) - 02/28/19 08:01 AM

GREAT to see that LTGREY name,,,,,,,,,,, fun times...............call me ,,,,lost you number.............
Posted By: AJE

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread - 07/29/19 02:06 AM

Originally Posted by Robb Russell
You have a choice of buying a few Modified OOS and Trapline traps and finding out what mole traps work best for you or better yet hire a local WCO !!!

Aren't all new OOS traps the same? I'm unaware of any modifications to them.

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread - 08/24/19 07:51 PM

Around here the moles usually make visible raised trails. Today I saw this mound near the middle of a yard with no visible trail leading to it. It wasn't there yesterday. I already got 16 moles in this yard. I poked my finger in the mound. Right away I found the trail leading to it. I set the trail along the edge of the mound. Within an hour I got that mole. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: big momma

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread - 08/26/19 10:18 PM

I tried ordering some of Steve's traps off his site but I couldn't, is there anyplace else to get them?

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread - 08/26/19 10:36 PM

Try this site.
Moleinator- https://www.wildlifecontrolsupplies.com/animal/WCSMOLE1.html

Re: The Mighty Mole Trappers Thread - 09/03/19 01:55 AM

I bought 4 old spike plunger spear type traps from usedtraps com last week. Wow, are they great. It's a shame how the NEW spear type traps on the market these days are such inferior quality. It's a night and day difference in regards to their decline in quality.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums