Fur Handling Archive

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Catalog~

Print Thread
Hop To
Question about skinning a skunk ...? #1619600
11/27/09 04:52 PM
11/27/09 04:52 PM
Missouri, USA
INTERNET TRAPPER Offline OP
trapper
INTERNET TRAPPER  Offline OP
trapper

Missouri, USA
I have two skunks but don't know how to skin them I guess it's just like a coon but how do I remove the scent glands or do I even need too?

Re: Question about skinning a skunk ...? [Re: INTERNET TRAPPER] #1619750
11/27/09 06:12 PM
11/27/09 06:12 PM
Nebraska
KawTrapper Offline
trapper
KawTrapper  Offline
trapper

Nebraska
I'd say yes u need to. Because even if u manage to cut around them. When u go to pull hide from flesh it creates pressure and BAM RIGHT IN THE FACE. Here check these threads out. They will show u how to take out glands.
http://www.trapperman.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1468108/1.html

Never knock on deaths door, ring the doorbell and run away.. he hates that!
Re: Question about skinning a skunk ...? [Re: KawTrapper] #1619752
11/27/09 06:13 PM
11/27/09 06:13 PM
Nebraska
KawTrapper Offline
trapper
KawTrapper  Offline
trapper

Nebraska

Never knock on deaths door, ring the doorbell and run away.. he hates that!
Re: Question about skinning a skunk ...? [Re: KawTrapper] #1619830
11/27/09 06:55 PM
11/27/09 06:55 PM
St. Cloud, MN
trapperkeck Offline
trapper
trapperkeck  Offline
trapper

St. Cloud, MN
You do not need to remove the scent glands. Make the opening cut just like a coon. When you split the tail towards the vent, go on each side of the vent and leave a triangle of fur on the carcass between the vent and the penis. The glands are about 1/4" beneath the skin, so if you don't go real deep, you have nothing to worry about. You are more likely to have problems trying to remove the glands.

"The voice of reason!"
Re: Question about skinning a skunk ...? [Re: KawTrapper] #1619838
11/27/09 06:57 PM
11/27/09 06:57 PM
North Western Illinois
Trailryder Offline
trapper
Trailryder  Offline
trapper

North Western Illinois
I did it 3 times last year and I never removed the glands. I just cut about a 3" triangle from the base of the tale around the vent and then do not pull too hard. Also when it comes time to skin the tail just work the pelt off around the base of the tail and then cut it off with the bone in the pelt and you can get it out when it is off the carcass. When I do it I do very little pulling I cut almost everything, Just be carefull and take it slow. and remember to plan for the worst do not wear your favorite coat or your best shoes.

The first time I did it I was so Nervous the Knife was noticably shaking in my hand, I had to ask myself several times "What the Heck am I doing?!?"

Good Luck
Later Bill

“It’s far better to eat Twinkies with good friends than eat broccoli all alone!”
Re: Question about skinning a skunk ...? [Re: trapperkeck] #1619849
11/27/09 07:02 PM
11/27/09 07:02 PM
Wisconsin
R
Rat Trapper Sr. Offline
trapper
Rat Trapper Sr.  Offline
trapper
R

Wisconsin
Skin the tail down and becareful when you when you go to pull the tail bone. When pulling the tail bone, if you press too hard against the butt, you get stink and it could end up on you. So cut (very shallow) around the butt and skin the tail down a little farther than you would normally do. Once you have successfully skinned a skunk you can call yourself a "Trapper".

Re: Question about skinning a skunk ...? [Re: Rat Trapper Sr.] #1619910
11/27/09 07:24 PM
11/27/09 07:24 PM
Jasper co. Iowa
A
Axman Offline
trapper
Axman  Offline
trapper
A

Jasper co. Iowa
I cut the glands out all the way first and keep the essence. It's worth more then the hide...........

With dogs or traps you cant get them all.
Re: Question about skinning a skunk ...? [Re: Rat Trapper Sr.] #1620054
11/27/09 08:22 PM
11/27/09 08:22 PM
Iowa
Oldtoolsniper Offline
trapper
Oldtoolsniper  Offline
trapper

Iowa
Wear surgical gloves when you deal with skunks! They are rabies carriers and I am told that they can live their entire lives with the disease and never develop the symptoms, like HIV in a human. They can spread it and still live a long life. I bleach all of my gear that I use for skinning them and dispose of the gloves and cardboard in my wood burner when I am done. I also keep my dog out of the shop when dealing with skunks.

I skin all of the skunks I catch as well as my friends and the road kill I find too. I use one of those hook razor utility roofing knives to open them as well as my beaver and coon. The glands are right beside and above the rear vent. You really have to screw up to get them to squirt. They are tough little bulges. On the first few you can leave the big triangle patch but after a few you won’t need to leave even that. Don’t try and pull the first few tails, skin around the base just like a coon get an inch or so of the tail bone exposed and the cut the tailbone from the body. Skin the rest of the skunk with no fear of it going off. You can then pull the tail by clamping a vice grip to the exposed section and using a tail puller in the normal fashion. Pulling the tails while attached to the skunk can cause leakage. If you decide to leave the patch of fur save the carcass and take your skinning knife on the line with you. Find a fence and wire him to a fence and skin out the area around the glands. This will teach you in a safe way where they are located and how tough they are. I harvest all of the essence (quill) from my skunks with a syringe. If you decide to do this just use a water bottle to store it in. Stretch a rubber glove over the opening of the water bottle. When you fill the syringe pierce the glove with the loaded syringe and discharge your gold into the bottle. It keeps the smell to a minimum. Store the water bottle in a bucket of dirt with a lid. Bury the bottle in the bucket of dirt and you get no smell.

“Work hard! Millions on welfare depend on it!”
Re: Question about skinning a skunk ...? [Re: Oldtoolsniper] #1620341
11/27/09 10:33 PM
11/27/09 10:33 PM
Missouri, USA
INTERNET TRAPPER Offline OP
trapper
INTERNET TRAPPER  Offline OP
trapper

Missouri, USA
Well I'm off to skin a SKUNK for the first time, and luckily for me the second. These suckers are beautiful and they don't even smell bad.........yet!!!!!

Re: Question about skinning a skunk ...? [Re: INTERNET TRAPPER] #1620362
11/27/09 10:51 PM
11/27/09 10:51 PM
St. Cloud, MN
trapperkeck Offline
trapper
trapperkeck  Offline
trapper

St. Cloud, MN
You'll be so careful on the first couple that you won't have a problem until you get to about #30. That's when you start thinking it's no big deal and get a bit braver with the pulling. Just make sure you have a good grip on the base of the tail when you pull the tail and you should be able to sleep in the house tonight.

"The voice of reason!"
Re: Question about skinning a skunk ...? [Re: trapperkeck] #1620527
11/28/09 12:29 AM
11/28/09 12:29 AM
Manitoba
N
Northof50 Offline
trapper
Northof50  Offline
trapper
N

Manitoba
Before you flesh the fat try freezing , and the fat comes off much easier.

Re: Question about skinning a skunk ...? [Re: Northof50] #1620669
11/28/09 08:04 AM
11/28/09 08:04 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
If you fool with skunks you will get that wonderful aroma on you. Be amazed how many folks you dont care to talk too will avoid you with a little shunk juice behind your ears.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Wolfdog91