Fur Handling Archive

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Catalog~

Print Thread
Hop To
Skinning a skunk?? #1147390
01/24/09 03:55 PM
01/24/09 03:55 PM
weldon spring, MO
M
Mo Rob Offline OP
trapper
Mo Rob  Offline OP
trapper
M

weldon spring, MO
First off how do you somewhat ge the smell off in order to be able to stand to skin one?

then are the oil sacs under the skin around the back side? So as long as you don't penitrate the flesh you should be fine?

Re: Skinning a skunk?? [Re: Mo Rob] #1147398
01/24/09 03:58 PM
01/24/09 03:58 PM
Randolph Co., Illinois
TrapperJonny Offline
trapper
TrapperJonny  Offline
trapper

Randolph Co., Illinois
I was told to put the skunk in a bucket/tub of warm water and dawn dish soap for a day or two. And it did make it tolerable to skin. It even took the smell off the trap. When I skin I just cut around the whole sac and make a nice window from it. Hope this helps.
Jonny

Last edited by TrapperJonny; 01/24/09 03:58 PM.

Tough times never last, tough people do! (Robert Schuller)

FTA NRA NTA

http://www.bankbandits.proboards.com
Re: Skinning a skunk?? [Re: TrapperJonny] #1147429
01/24/09 04:14 PM
01/24/09 04:14 PM
Oregon
T
Tsarevna Offline
"Gerty"
Tsarevna  Offline
"Gerty"
T

Oregon
There's a solution of baking soda, dish soap and hydrogen peroxide that will remove the smell in about 5 minutes.

Quote:
-1 quart 3 percent hydrogen peroxide
-1/4 cup baking soda (sodium bicarbonate)
-1 teaspoon liquid soap or dish detergent
-Mix these together and bathe ("shampoo" in or rub down) the spray victim thoroughly.
-Be sure to use this mixture immediately after it is created, as it is unstable.
-Rinse with tap water afterward, and repeat if necessary.

http://www.aaanimalcontrol.com/skunksmellremovalrid.htm

Just fill up a bucket with water and dunk the skunk in. When he's good and wet, mix the solution and quickly shampoo it into his fur all over. Just be delicate in the under-tail area. Rinse him off and smell him.
If he needs another go, shampoo him again.

It's amazing how well this stuff works. I shattered a vial of skunk essence in the garage before, and all I had to do was scrub the floor a little with this stuff and it was 100% gone.

When you skin him, just bear in mind that the glands are on either side of the anus. You can either syringe the essence out first, avoid the area with a coon-style "money cut" up and away from the gland area, or you can cut them out with a razor blade. You ring the anus with a razor, cut the membranes holding the intestines to the walls of the abdominal cavity, and simply pull out the intestines about 1/2 inch and cut it off below the glands. (I find that sitting in a chair, holding the skunk between your legs facing the floor is the best position.) You can then syringe the glands out where you can see them. And have no fear of cutting them while skinning. smile This is my preferred method, I learned it on the tape "On the Cat Line."

Re: Skinning a skunk?? [Re: Tsarevna] #1147442
01/24/09 04:25 PM
01/24/09 04:25 PM
N Central Iowa
iayogi17 Offline
trapper
iayogi17  Offline
trapper

N Central Iowa
just dig in a bear the smell, soon you'll find you love it

Brad Mohr
Re: Skinning a skunk?? [Re: TrapperJonny] #1147478
01/24/09 04:49 PM
01/24/09 04:49 PM
Northwestern New York(Elder)
Jonathan Offline
"Wilson"
Jonathan  Offline
"Wilson"

Northwestern New York(Elder)
This is the basic formula used by most for ridding skunk odor.

You can proportion this basic formula to cover your needs accordingly:

1 quart of 3% Hydrogen Peroxide

1/4 cup of baking soda

1 to 2 teaspoons liquid soap (Softsoap or Ivory liquid preferred.) Dawn might work?

Do not fudge on the soap brands - shampoo and other stuff of that nature will not cut it as well as those mentioned. I am not a chemist and do not know why those brands are preferred.

Make up a batch of it and you should have enough. Put some rubber dish washing or latex gloves on, unless you are extremely adventurous.

Scrub the critter up good and let it "soap up" for 5-10 minutes, but do not squeeze the body in the process. Rinse it off thoroughly with lukewarm water and give it a good sniff test. Let your nose tell you how many more times you may have to bathe it before the odor is gone.

This method works on just about anything that comes in contact with raw skunk quill, maybe with the exception if you get it on your leather dancing shoes. If that happens, throw them out!

Have you ever skinned one before? If not, here is a link for your to review:

Skinning A Skunk

Take your time. After you do a few, you'll catch on to the precautions.

Jonathan

Camera Gear: Canon EOS 7D-MK-II, Canon EF-S 10-22mm, EF 28-135mm, EF 100-400mm and EF 400mm lenses.

Re: Skinning a skunk?? [Re: doublesettrigger] #1147620
01/24/09 06:15 PM
01/24/09 06:15 PM
weldon spring, MO
M
Mo Rob Offline OP
trapper
Mo Rob  Offline OP
trapper
M

weldon spring, MO
Thanks for the info........... I have manages to trap 4 in the last 2 nights

Re: Skinning a skunk?? [Re: Mo Rob] #1147729
01/24/09 07:17 PM
01/24/09 07:17 PM
Central Oklahoma
D
dbowhunter Offline
trapper
dbowhunter  Offline
trapper
D

Central Oklahoma
Just skinned my 3rd one this season...i let em partially freeze a little...the setting outside and being frozen keeps the smell to a minimum. When cutting, as already said, be careful around the hind legs on each side of the goodies. I haven't had a problem yet...i use the glands for more scent out on the line.

Bobcats 1
Coons 6
Grinners 12
Skunks 3
Other 2
Pinkies Almost one, but thumb stopped it

Is the glass half empty or half full?
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Wolfdog91